Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Revis' brand and why it has more value than his football ability

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Agreed. I would say he has been managed poorly and his greed has almost certainly cost him money.
    Curtis incidentally was even more greedy than Darrelle in terms of screwing the Jets to a wall on the contract dollars but he had a different and better PR machine than Darrelle has today.

The public perception of Curtis Martin was that he walked on water and that he was practically a saint. The reality was that he was a hard nosed businessman who not only used his "brand" actively but he also understood it and cultivated it in order further his own economic interests. Not only did Saint Curtis get the Jets to negotiate against themselves and overpay for his services on his seconds jets contract, but he also ensured that he would continue to receive an NFL league high number of touches. Thus practically guaranteeing that the backups were never going to see the light of day. All of this added to his streak of 1000 yd seasons at 3.9 yds per carry and coincidentally built even further onto his brand.

His brand was fake IMO but at least he had one. Revis does not.

The Revis brand isn't worth ****. He did a couple of local commercials. That will be the extent of his marketing media blitz. No one cares about corners on losing teams. Who consistently hold out and piss on their contract.

Deon was a flamboyant media whore with lots of name recognition and multiple SB rings in different big markets. He was never big when it came to endorsements.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Curtis incidentally was even more greedy than Darrelle in terms of screwing the Jets to a wall on the contract dollars but he had a different and better PR machine than Darrelle has today.

The public perception of Curtis Martin was that he walked on water and that he was practically a saint. The reality was that he was a hard nosed businessman who not only used his "brand" actively but he also understood it and cultivated it in order further his own economic interests. Not only did Saint Curtis get the Jets to negotiate against themselves and overpay for his services on his seconds jets contract, but he also ensured that he would continue to receive an NFL league high number of touches. Thus practically guaranteeing that the backups were never going to see the light of day. All of this added to his streak of 1000 yd seasons at 3.9 yds per carry and coincidentally built even further onto his brand.

There's the big difference. playing out your contract and then making demands is smart business and he shouldn't be blamed for that. I have no problem with a player asking for whatever they want and if the team is stupid enough to give him something beyond his worth, than good for him. this is still America and we are still capitalist.

The problem with Revis is the constant holding out and incessant complaining and threats. It never ends.

This is exactly the point I'm making - Revis has been managed poorly and it is costing him his long term reputation and likely money...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    There's the big difference. playing out your contract and then making demands is smart business and he shouldn't be blamed for that. I have no problem with a player asking for whatever they want and if the team is stupid enough to give him something beyond his worth, than good for him. this is still America and we are still capitalist.

The problem with Revis is the constant holding out and incessant complaining and threats. It never ends.

This is exactly the point I'm making - Revis has been managed poorly and it is costing him his long term reputation and likely money...
    Yes I understand your take on the difference between the two and why that pisses many fans off. My point was that because Curtis had crafted his brand, that he was then able to parlay that into extra dollars at contract time.

You really need to lighten up on the rolleyes Ray. You use them too often.

What you believe is what you believe. There really is no evidence to support the idea as far as I can see. Great player. Pretty spotty reputation with many (or even most of the fans). We are not stupid and we know that team Revis plays us every time there is a contract negotiation which is pretty much every year. Nobody else has done that in my memory with the Jets. His brand is tarnished by that even if there was a chance for a brand to begin with. I know plenty of Jets fans who think he has been something of a poison on the team for that reason alone.

He has been injured more than once and so there are very real questions about his long term durability and yet he still wants to be paid as if he were one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in the NFL. Very selfish. Especially when juxtaposed against stories from around the NFL of other players accepting less in order for the team to be able to get other players signed. I think the whole Revis "brand" idea is a crock invented by his marketing machine and I think you are buying that.

I do not.
    Not so much that I believe it, it's a thought that crosses my mind, the entire point of this thread is to offer it as a variable in this entire process, this isn't about me saying what is or isn't happening.

I have no problem with what you said in the two paragraphs above.

Yes I understand your take on the difference between the two and why that pisses many fans off. My point was that because Curtis had crafted his brand, that he was then able to parlay that into extra dollars at contract time.
    Understood - Complete agreement with you...

I've got to say, I've seen plenty of commercials with football players but I've never seen one with Revis. I think people are taking his local appeal and thinking his commercials are national. There's a difference between local and national marketing. Very few actually get nationally branded.

Revis is great, not questioning that. I think people hit it on the head though when they say a db shouldn't be noticed if he's good. Sanders was known for playing two sports and his flash as much as anything else.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

Not so much that I believe it, it's a thought that crosses my mind, the entire point of this thread is to offer it as a variable in this entire process, this isn't about me saying what is or isn't happening.

I have no problem with what you said in the two paragraphs above.
    Well Ray as much as we seem to find ourselves often on opposite ends of a the analysis spectrum I have no problem with the spirit you bring to the debate.

Personally I don't care if Woody or the Glazer make or lose and extra $100 million per year from Revis because those are non cap dollars. They do not impact the ability of the franchise to prudently build and maintain a sustainable salary cap model, which is what I am worried about.
    Last edited by EM31; 03-25-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Well said 31 your 100% correct.. Cumar used lube Revis don't..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMadman View Post
    The Revis brand isn't worth ****. He did a couple of local commercials. That will be the extent of his marketing media blitz. No one cares about corners on losing teams. Who consistently hold out and piss on their contract.

Deon was a flamboyant media whore with lots of name recognition and multiple SB rings in different big markets. He was never big when it came to endorsements.
    He's still doing national commercials.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    have you ever heard of revis island?
    Yeah it's deserted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Off the top of my head, Under Armor, Dick's, Nike. He is one of the players that the NFL puts on most of its promos, he's on most network promos for the league, ESPN, NFL network.

He's ranked in the top 10 of the top 100 players in the NFL according to the NFL network.

Look no further than forbes.com, Revis is ranked #22 in the world of highest paid athletes. Eli is #30 btw.

http://www.forbes.com/profile/darrelle-revis/

http://www.forbes.com/profile/eli-manning/
    Genius thats primarily in SALARY. He only made 1.3 million in endorsements. You really have no idea do you. Eli made 8 million in endorsements---Damn,I"m constantly correcting you.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    That's because everyone is assuming (including myself) that he'll return to top form. It's a good bet IMO. He's a great player and he knows it.

For me, if the Jets were to resign him, I would want some incentives when he comes back that only come due if he does return to top form.

I don't doubt he'd return to top form at all.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Yeah it's deserted.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

SAR I

I agree and was never a fan of Curtis but that is tantamount here to criticizing Joe

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Genius thats primarily in SALARY. He only made 1.3 million in endorsements. You really have no idea do you. Eli made 8 million in endorsements---Damn,I"m constantly correcting you.
    I'm glad I can make you feel better about your self.

The problem is, you missed the point of the exchange. Revis supposedly being overshadowed or having to contend with the Giants for marketability, it's obviously a bunch of crap, Eli not necessarily included. No **** a SB MVP is going to get recognition.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 03-25-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Revis doesn't have much of brand because the average football fan cares about the sexy plays. The TD, the deep throw, the big hit, sack, the TD dance. That's what makes the highlight Real.. When a Jet player gets a sack that player gets the highlight and credit. Not Revis who by going man to man allows Jets to rush an extra guy, and makes the qb hold the ball longer because he cant throw to his #1. Revis is the silent assassin who quietly shuts down the opposing team #1 WR all by himself.. qb's don't throw at him a lot because they know better, so revis doesn't get many INT chances. The player hype is driven by stats- tds, rushing/passing yards, ect. Go around the league, most guys with a "brand" are on offense. Corners especially don't get the respect. Deon is the exception because he was a dual athlete, great returner, and played some WR. Had a great dance.. Huge ego, listen to the guy now, he cant say Revis is worth a #1 and #2 because he doesn't want revis's value to challenge what his was.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...uable-is-Revis

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Revis doesn't have much of brand because the average football fan cares about the sexy plays. The TD, the deep throw, the big hit, sack, the TD dance. That's what makes the highlight Real.. When a Jet player gets a sack that player gets the highlight and credit. Not Revis who by going man to man allows Jets to rush an extra guy, and makes the qb hold the ball longer because he cant throw to his #1. Revis is the silent assassin who quietly shuts down the opposing team #1 WR all by himself.. qb's don't throw at him a lot because they know better, so revis doesn't get many INT chances. The player hype is driven by stats- tds, rushing/passing yards, ect. Go around the league, most guys with a "brand" are on offense. Corners especially don't get the respect. Deon is the exception because he was a dual athlete, great returner, and played some WR. Had a great dance.. Huge ego, listen to the guy now, he cant say Revis is worth a #1 and #2 because he doesn't want revis's value to challenge what his was.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...uable-is-Revis
    Revis value is not what Sanders was. When sanders played it was a different game, passing downs was 3 guys in a pattern. now a days your just as likely to see 5 guys releasing. 1 guy could pretty much shut down 1/2 the field when only 2 guys were in a pattern. Dion was also a pro bowl punt returner at a time when they was less scoring and more punting. And was a borderline pro bowl KO returner also, that is 5 times a game he was a offensive weapon besides being a all pro corner. And the year that the #2 wr went out he caught 36 passes.

Revis has it all over him as a tackler however.

footbal

Its a game which feel excitness in mind and my favarate..