Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis' brand and why it has more value than his football ability

Revis' brand and why it has more value than his football ability

Pro sports is a business, and as fans, sometimes we lose site of this fact, focusing only only the player's ability and what it means to the team. The Revis topic has been discussed ad-nauseum, his value, his ability, whether he will come back from injury and be the same player, is he really worth 15 million per year, why would any team trade for it, why would the Jets not re-sign him, etc etc...

There are many sides to the argument from the Jets' fans perspective, trade now, Revis wants too much, get something for nothing, the Jets should re-sign, he's a cornerstone of the franchse. The team should trade and fast track re-tooling their roster, a CB is not worth franchise money. All valid arguments. Then there is the position the Jets are in, re-sign him, avoid the dead money of the contract if they let him play out his contract, and continue to build around him on the defense, or, trade him before he plays out his contract, and retool the rest of the roster with additional draft picks.

Bottomline, the Jets can go either way. The cap situation is overblown by the media as usual, and as usual, there are too many fans that buy into the TMZ reporting by the media. The Jets can easily re-sign him, even at the 14-15 mil per year and still build the rest of the roster, but the Jets don't need Revis, as much as Revis needs them, and as much as say a team like the Bucs need him, and here's why the Jets are in a position of strength that I don't think gets talked about enough.

Revis is worth the money he's asking for, because it's not just his ability as the top CB in football and one of the top defensive players in football, it's the marketing value he brings to a team. Let's also not mistake the fact that Revis and his team were able to develop that brand in the best market in sports, in New York. Revis knows this, but more importanly, other teams know this as well, including the Jets. The Jets don't need to sign a player like Revis because of his brand, they can move on to the next player, the team is already in the NY market.

A team like the Bucs however, are starved to improve the brand of the team, and a player like Revis instantly adds value to the brand, brings in a huge market and following, and puts TB back on the map from a player profile perspective. This is huge for a team like the Bucs, and this is why the Jets are playing out the situation the way they have. The Jets aren't just trading a player coming off of ACL surgery, but is still one of the top defensive players in football when healthy, the Jets, if they chose to move on from Revis, want to make sure they trade not only the player and get compensation to fast track the rebuild, they want the compensation for giving up his brand and the value he brings to the team.

The other angle is Revis' security, and the risk he has if he plays out the rest of his contract, another year of football, another year of possible injury. This more than anything plays into the urgency of Revis' team to push this now, rather than wait until next year. That is the beauty of what we are seeing with what is happening, and why this is dragging on. The Jets know this, Idzik knows this, Johnson knows this. Revis wants a new deal now, with the Jets, or a new team. The Jets know what Revis can bring to a team like TB, not just the player, but his brand, that is why we can't compare Revis' value from a player only standpoint, from a position only standpoint. We can't compare Revis, to a player like Harvin or any other big name trade that has happened, because Revis' brand trumps all of them, that is why compensation has to be significant from the Jets' perspective, that is why a team like the Bucs are so interested in Revis, not just because it is a fit, and the player, and the talent, but the brand, and the market that he will bring to a small market team like the Bucs.

Personally, I'm torn, I love Revis, but I can see how much sense this makes from the Jets' perspective. So, Idzik and the Jets should hold out as long as they can, and they have every bit of leverage to take this right up to the draft, because it's clear, the mission is to get compensation this year and next, and especially next year, but the Jets have a lot of leverage, and they also have Revis' agents as an ally, because they too are pushing for a deal THIS year, this helps the Jets, whether it is to re-sign with the Jets at a deal they deem acceptable and not in a way that will cripple their cap and future of the roster, or to push for a team to match the Jets' asking price in terms of compensation.

having the best player in the nfl on your roster pacifies alot of the misfortunes this team puts us through. im not saying it substitutes for a super bowl win, but will trading revis make that happen? no

Jets Insider VIP
    MEVIS is great no doubt...would love to be able to keep him.

He's actually so much better than people credit him for. He's a GREAT open field tackler as well as shut down corner.

Problem is....

He'll just hold out again in 2 years though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Pro sports is a business, and as fans, sometimes we lose site of this fact, focusing only only the player's ability and what it means to the team. The Revis topic has been discussed ad-nauseum, his value, his ability, whether he will come back from injury and be the same player, is he really worth 15 million per year, why would any team trade for it, why would the Jets not re-sign him, etc etc...

There are many sides to the argument from the Jets' fans perspective, trade now, Revis wants too much, get something for nothing, the Jets should re-sign, he's a cornerstone of the franchse. The team should trade and fast track re-tooling their roster, a CB is not worth franchise money. All valid arguments. Then there is the position the Jets are in, re-sign him, avoid the dead money of the contract if they let him play out his contract, and continue to build around him on the defense, or, trade him before he plays out his contract, and retool the rest of the roster with additional draft picks.

Bottomline, the Jets can go either way. The cap situation is overblown by the media as usual, and as usual, there are too many fans that buy into the TMZ reporting by the media. The Jets can easily re-sign him, even at the 14-15 mil per year and still build the rest of the roster, but the Jets don't need Revis, as much as Revis needs them, and as much as say a team like the Bucs need him, and here's why the Jets are in a position of strength that I don't think gets talked about enough.

Revis is worth the money he's asking for, because it's not just his ability as the top CB in football and one of the top defensive players in football, it's the marketing value he brings to a team. Let's also not mistake the fact that Revis and his team were able to develop that brand in the best market in sports, in New York. Revis knows this, but more importanly, other teams know this as well, including the Jets. The Jets don't need to sign a player like Revis because of his brand, they can move on to the next player, the team is already in the NY market.

A team like the Bucs however, are starved to improve the brand of the team, and a player like Revis instantly adds value to the brand, brings in a huge market and following, and puts TB back on the map from a player profile perspective. This is huge for a team like the Bucs, and this is why the Jets are playing out the situation the way they have. The Jets aren't just trading a player coming off of ACL surgery, but is still one of the top defensive players in football when healthy, the Jets, if they chose to move on from Revis, want to make sure they trade not only the player and get compensation to fast track the rebuild, they want the compensation for giving up his brand and the value he brings to the team.

The other angle is Revis' security, and the risk he has if he plays out the rest of his contract, another year of football, another year of possible injury. This more than anything plays into the urgency of Revis' team to push this now, rather than wait until next year. That is the beauty of what we are seeing with what is happening, and why this is dragging on. The Jets know this, Idzik knows this, Johnson knows this. Revis wants a new deal now, with the Jets, or a new team. The Jets know what Revis can bring to a team like TB, not just the player, but his brand, that is why we can't compare Revis' value from a player only standpoint, from a position only standpoint. We can't compare Revis, to a player like Harvin or any other big name trade that has happened, because Revis' brand trumps all of them, that is why compensation has to be significant from the Jets' perspective, that is why a team like the Bucs are so interested in Revis, not just because it is a fit, and the player, and the talent, but the brand, and the market that he will bring to a small market team like the Bucs.

Personally, I'm torn, I love Revis, but I can see how much sense this makes from the Jets' perspective. So, Idzik and the Jets should hold out as long as they can, and they have every bit of leverage to take this right up to the draft, because it's clear, the mission is to get compensation this year and next, and especially next year, but the Jets have a lot of leverage, and they also have Revis' agents as an ally, because they too are pushing for a deal THIS year, this helps the Jets, whether it is to re-sign with the Jets at a deal they deem acceptable and not in a way that will cripple their cap and future of the roster, or to push for a team to match the Jets' asking price in terms of compensation.
    Good post. Not sure where its going lol, but brought up good points nonetheless.

In before the "zomgzzz do we really need another/a separate Revis thread?!?!?!?!" crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    Good post. Not sure where its going lol, but brought up good points nonetheless.

In before the "zomgzzz do we really need another/a separate Revis thread?!?!?!?!" crowd.
    The Revis-palooza thread is now cluttered with the arguments I mentioned in the opening paragraph, this brings to the forefront the core of what is going on that nobody has really talked about.

yes, good post.

This is a legit tricky situation. Revis is the best player this team has had in a very long time - tough to give him up - would love to find a way to keep him..

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like a realistic option.

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
    on March 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM, updated March 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM
    Rex Ryan stays mum on Darrelle Revis trade, says QB competition is wide open

Rex Ryan is maintaining his distance from a possible Darrelle Revis trade.

ďI haven't had one conversation with anybody about trading any of our players,Ē Ryan said Friday afternoon on ESPN Radio.

The coach continued a game of semantics he started at the league meetings in Arizona. Ryan definitively said that the Jets weren't "actively" looking to deal their star cornerback. He couched that statement by saying that if a team called, the Jets would certainly listen.

When pressed on "The Michael Kay Show," Ryan sidestepped a question about whether he thinks Revis will be on the opening-day roster.

"Wherever (the speculation) is coming from, itís not coming from the Jets," Ryan said. "Does that mean heís going to be traded or not? Hey, thatís just speculation. Hey, Iíll let other guys speculate on it and, hey, I think itís kind of funny. From the day (GM) John (Idzik) took over, supposedly we were trading Darrelle and he didnít know where his office was."

Would he be surprised if a trade happened?

"I guess in the NFL, youíre not surprised by any move," he said. "Whether itís trading a player or signing a player."

As for the quarterback position, another point of concern heading into this season, Ryan was even less definitive. It has been less than a week since his remarks about Sanchez at the league meetings, where he first said that nothing was promised to the former top-five pick. So his open-mindedness about the position is not a surprise.

ďI think itís going to be a position, obviously, where weíre bringing in competition,Ē Ryan said. ďI donít think thereís a clear-cut favorite in my opinion. I just think itís going to be competition from day one. Sanchez will take the first snap, but thatís all you can say. Itís going to be an open competition.Ē

As of now, that list still includes Sanchez, David Garrard and Greg McElroy. Matt Simms, who will be a camp arm won't factor into the decision. Tim Tebow will be released.

Ryan, as he did in Arizona, wouldn't rule out adding another arm to that mix.

ďI havenít lost confidence in Mark, but I do know this: The play at quarterback has to get better,Ē Ryan said. ďThereís no doubt. Whether itís Mark or someone else we know we have to improve in that area without a doubt. I guess we can file that in the Ďno kiddingí category, but thatís it: It has to get better. I believe that Mark will get a lot better but I also believe thereís going to be stiffer competition than there was in past years.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    having the best player in the nfl on your roster pacifies alot of the misfortunes this team puts us through. im not saying it substitutes for a super bowl win, but will trading revis make that happen? no

Best player? Why are we discussing the Vikings here and Adrian Peterson?
    Or the Broncos and Peyton Manning? Those teams have their own boards.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Best player? Why are we discussing the Vikings here and Adrian Peterson?
    Or the Broncos and Peyton Manning? Those teams have their own boards.
    we arent you are. go there then. revis is the best player in the nfl.

we arent you are. go there then. revis is the best player in the nfl.
    I'm here. YOU leave.
    Please advise WHEN Revis was voted MVP. Or even DPOY.
    Tell me when or leave. YOU are obviously MISINFORMED.

Your opinion is worthless. The VOTERS decide.
    And, of course, YOU being alll knowing, are aware of his PRESENT physical condition? Right.

Enough homerism.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    I'm here. YOU leave.
    Please advise WHEN Revis was voted MVP. Or even DPOY.
    Tell me when or leave. YOU are obviously MISINFORMED.

Your opinion is worthless. The VOTERS decide.
    And, of course, YOU being alll knowing, are aware of his PRESENT physical condition? Right.

Enough homerism.
    last time i checked this was a new york jets message board.

self loathing and talking up other teams players is allowed but no one is better than revis.

now that thats clear. enjoy the season rooting for the broncos or vikings.

The Jets should absolutely resign him NOW, This thread did nothing to sway my opinion. The Jets will look like the biggest joke for trading away their best player if they happen to do that.

Revis is a player you want on your team no matter what. He's a great presence to have around when you are rebuilding and he puts you over the top when you have a good team around him. He's a big game player that you want on your side when you play in the SB.

And the money? That's a complete crock of sh*t. Everyone that want to get rid of him because they say he want too much. Your just pissy because your JEALOUS, nothing more, nothing less.

As I already pointed out from a percentage standpoint, if Revis gets the 15 million per he's looking for, that would amount to approximately 12 and change percent of the 123 million dollar salary cap.

Back in 2000, the Bucs traded for one Keyshawn Johnson. They gave up TWO 1st round draft choices (which automatically means that the compensation from the Bucs for Revis is complete sh*t. Key wasn't even the best WR in football when he got traded. Revis is clearly the BEST.)

They also gave Johnson 8 year 56 million dollar contract at the time. That was an obscene amount at that time. The salary cap in 2001 was 62 million and change. The 7 million per that Keyshawn got comprised 11 and change percent of their salary cap at that time.

So all of you posters that say he should be traded, well you actually think the team is better off without him. Well, I think that is dumb.

What Revis wants for money is merely relative. You cannot fathom it because you forgot it where 11 years went since the last time somebody got a payday like that. The percentage proves that the amount of money Revis is merely relative and a sign of the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The Jets should absolutely resign him NOW, This thread did nothing to sway my opinion. The Jets will look like the biggest joke for trading away their best player if they happen to do that.

Revis is a player you want on your team no matter what. He's a great presence to have around when you are rebuilding and he puts you over the top when you have a good team around him. He's a big game player that you want on your side when you play in the SB.

And the money? That's a complete crock of sh*t. Everyone that want to get rid of him because they say he want too much. Your just pissy because your JEALOUS, nothing more, nothing less.

As I already pointed out from a percentage standpoint, if Revis gets the 15 million per he's looking for, that would amount to approximately 12 and change percent of the 123 million dollar salary cap.

Back in 2000, the Bucs traded for one Keyshawn Johnson. They gave up TWO 1st round draft choices (which automatically means that the compensation from the Bucs for Revis is complete sh*t. Key wasn't even the best WR in football when he got traded. Revis is clearly the BEST.)

They also gave Johnson 8 year 56 million dollar contract at the time. That was an obscene amount at that time. The salary cap in 2001 was 62 million and change. The 7 million per that Keyshawn got comprised 11 and change percent of their salary cap at that time.

So all of you posters that say he should be traded, well you actually think the team is better off without him. Well, I think that is dumb.

What Revis wants for money is merely relative. You cannot fathom it because you forgot it where 11 years went since the last time somebody got a payday like that. The percentage proves that the amount of money Revis is merely relative and a sign of the times.
    post of the year 2013.

Who are addressing with this?

last time i checked this was a new york jets message board.

self loathing and talking up other teams players is allowed but no one is better than revis.

now that thats clear. enjoy the season rooting for the broncos or vikings.

I was a Jet fan since day - that's 1963 at the Polo Groundds vs. the Broncos.
    I am also a realist. A piece of ground beef is not Filet Mignon.
    I recognize what is good and what is not.
    I also believe you are what you are voted.
    No one is better than Revis? That's called delusional. Perhaps psychotic. I sure hope YOU don't own a gun. Or even a knife.
    I root for the Jets BUT also enjkjoy seeing quality. Hard to see that with the Jets. This from the same group that annointed the "Sanchise" as bound for Canton.
    Revis MAY return to form or may not. Even at that he is a selfish me me me guy. " Oh, my leg. I have to sit out and teach the Jets." A real champion.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't think Revis is worth much from a marketing standpoint. What has he done? A couple of Dick's commercials. Yeah, he has sold a few jerseys for Woody. But at the end of the day he is just a CB. He has little intrinsic value for the Jets. If we ever had a QB that was a star (a la Namath) then I think it would be a much different scenario. Revis should be paid based on what they think he is worth to them on the field.

If they can't sign him for a deal they can live with then they need to trade him for the best offer. Letting him play this year without extending or trading would be foolish IMO.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 03-23-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent

Who did we get with those picks?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    What's the problem, if he fits into the finances you keep him, and if not get what what most seem to think the value at the time is for Revis. Not very difficult.

If you take a step back off the ledge for just a minute, the argument that some have made about trading Revis aren't suggesting that they do so because the Jets are better off without him.

You can scream your head off all you want, there are two sides of this that make for valid arguments. The point of this thread wasn't to see you regurgitate with your high and mighty stance that it would be dumb to trade Revis, it factors in both sides of the story, and presents an angle not really discussed, and that is Revis' value beyond his ability as a football player, and why Revis is taking the stance he is, because he can, and his brand has enabled that platform. On the other hand, the Jets have taken this into account, but are working both sides, the side to keep him but not at the level he is seeking, and if they are going to trade him, to maximize that compensation because of the value he would bring another team, especially a small market team, and factoring the business side of any trade.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    If you take a step back off the ledge for just a minute, the argument that some have made about trading Revis aren't suggesting that they do so because the Jets are better off without him.

You can scream your head off all you want, there are two sides of this that make for valid arguments. The point of this thread wasn't to see you regurgitate with your high and mighty stance that it would be dumb to trade Revis, it factors in both sides of the story, and presents an angle not really discussed, and that is Revis' value beyond his ability as a football player, and why Revis is taking the stance he is, because he can, and his brand has enabled that platform. On the other hand, the Jets have taken this into account, but are working both sides, the side to keep him but not at the level he is seeking, and if they are going to trade him, to maximize that compensation because of the value he would bring another team, especially a small market team, and factoring the business side of any trade.