Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 141 to 152 of 152

Thread: Revis' brand and why it has more value than his football ability

  1. #141
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I don't think Revis is worth much from a marketing standpoint. What has he done? A couple of Dick's commercials. Yeah, he has sold a few jerseys for Woody. But at the end of the day he is just a CB. He has little intrinsic value for the Jets. If we ever had a QB that was a star (a la Namath) then I think it would be a much different scenario. Revis should be paid based on what they think he is worth to them on the field.

    If they can't sign him for a deal they can live with then they need to trade him for the best offer. Letting him play this year without extending or trading would be foolish IMO.

    Very well said.

    People say Revis "is" the best player in the league. That has to be re-phrased to "was"', prior to his injury. We have no idea what he will be going forward. That risk has to be factored in to every discussion.

  2. #142
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Very well said.

    People say Revis "is" the best player in the league. That has to be re-phrased to "was"', prior to his injury. We have no idea what he will be going forward. That risk has to be factored in to every discussion.
    People can say anything that doesn't make it true.. Best CB absolutely but IMO not the best D-player..

  3. #143
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    220
    "Was" the best CB. Have no idea what he "is" at this point.

  4. #144
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,736
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post


    SAR I
    And then you wonder why you're the target of abuse and ridicule and bannings?

    Unbelievable.

  5. #145
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    That's because everyone is assuming (including myself) that he'll return to top form. It's a good bet IMO. He's a great player and he knows it.

    For me, if the Jets were to resign him, I would want some incentives when he comes back that only come due if he does return to top form.

    I don't doubt he'd return to top form at all.
    Do you know how HUGE that assumption is? We are talking about a cornerback here, one who has to stop and turn on a dime unexpectedly. This isn't an offensive player who knows when he's turning and spinning.

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Do you know how HUGE that assumption is? We are talking about a cornerback here, one who has to stop and turn on a dime unexpectedly. This isn't an offensive player who knows when he's turning and spinning.
    MJ is clearly delusional. Revis would never sign a conditional contract.

  7. #147

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    + 1

  9. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Do you know how HUGE that assumption is? We are talking about a cornerback here, one who has to stop and turn on a dime unexpectedly. This isn't an offensive player who knows when he's turning and spinning.
    That's no different than any other football player. What do you think stopping and turning on a dime is unique to CB?

    There's also several players in the NFL, notably bigger names, that have gone down with ACL's and came back better than ever. Stop being such a drama queen.

    I'd also be willing to bet he comes back just as good as before he left. Maybe not right away, but by the mid part of the season he'll be back just as good as ever.

    Care to lay down a wager? Not to me if I win, pay Sooth for the board?

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    That's no different than any other football player. What do you think stopping and turning on a dime is unique to CB?

    There's also several players in the NFL, notably bigger names, that have gone down with ACL's and came back better than ever. Stop being such a drama queen.

    I'd also be willing to bet he comes back just as good as before he left. Maybe not right away, but by the mid part of the season he'll be back just as good as ever.

    Care to lay down a wager? Not to me if I win, pay Sooth for the board?
    And there are guys like Terrel Thomas and Foxworth who after ACL surgery have been unable to come back at all never mind at 80-90%.

    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-56563987.html

    ROSEMONT, Ill., Nov. 30 /PRNewswire/ -- The good news for NFL players
    who sustain an injury to their anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is that
    they'll likely play again in the NFL. The bad news is, they'll return with
    diminished performance on the field, concludes a study in the December
    issue of The American Journal of Sports Medicine.

    Data were analyzed for 31 players with 33 ACL injuries. Of the injured
    players, 21 percent (7 of 33 ACL injuries) never returned to play in
    another regular season NFL game. Of the 79 percent that did return, most
    players returned to action 9 to 12 months after an ACL injury.
    For those players who returned to NFL action following an ACL injury,
    performance fell by one-third, the researchers found. Power rating per game
    played decreased from 9.9 pre-injury to 6.5 post-injury. This decline in
    player production was statistically significant when compared to the 146
    players in the control group.
    Last edited by patman; 03-26-2013 at 04:50 PM.

  11. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    having the best player in the nfl on your roster pacifies alot of the misfortunes this team puts us through. im not saying it substitutes for a super bowl win, but will trading revis make that happen? no
    This made me laugh.

    Brady/Manning/AP/Megatron/Vernon Davis/Jimmy Graham/Gronk are all better than Revis.

  12. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    That's no different than any other football player. What do you think stopping and turning on a dime is unique to CB?
    Because it is. Having to shadow the WR's moves and keep up with him requires going from an immobile position to a sudden turn, and without the nano-second of preparation if you know which way you're going to turn, like the WR does. It requires a sudden burst sideways, forward, or back which all puts sudden strain on the ACL

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us