Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 152

Thread: Revis' brand and why it has more value than his football ability

  1. #41
    Could somebody please enlighten us and explain just what the hell the 'Revis Brand" is?

  2. #42
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post


    You can't be serious?
    I am dead serious. What has he done? He has done a couple of commercials and he was on Punk'd. He is not a household name.

    Keep in mind we may be in the biggest media market but we are also second fiddle in this market to the Giants. And everyone is below the Yankees. And the Knicks are ahead of us as well in terms of marketability.

    Revis is worth peanuts to the Jets after he retires. He has a poor relationship with Woody. He will probably show up to his Ring of Honor and that is about it. He holds no intrinsic value for us.

    Pay him for what you think he is worth on the football field. There will be other players that can sell jerseys for us (ie Tebow).

    And another thing is that Revis has only been "Revis" for 3 years (2009-2011). Lets let him dominate the league for a decade like some other players have before we start worrying about such things.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 03-23-2013 at 07:41 PM.

  3. #43
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,539
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I am dead serious. What has he done? He has done a couple of commercials and he was on Punk'd. He is not a household name.

    Keep in mind we may be in the biggest media market but we are also second fiddle in this market to the Giants. And everyone is below the Yankees. And the Knicks are ahead of us as well in terms of marketability.

    Revis is worth peanuts to the Jets after he retires. He has a poor relationship with Woody. He will probably show up to his Ring of Honor and that is about it. He holds no intrinsic value for us.Pay him for what you think he is worth on the football field. There will be other players that can sell jerseys for us (ie Tebow).

    And another thing is that Revis has only been "Revis" for 3 years (2009-2011). Lets let him dominate the league for a decade like some other players have before we start worrying about such things.
    This may shock some but Martin was a better Jet then Revis could ever think of being.. I'm not talking about ability as a player I mean as a person and role model..

  4. #44
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Am I the only person who doesn't think the Darrelle Revis is so great?

    SAR I

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Could somebody please enlighten us and explain just what the hell the 'Revis Brand" is?
    The Revis Brand defines Revis and his Value.

  6. #46
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,767
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    The Revis Brand defines Revis and his Value.
    Tautology

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I am dead serious. What has he done? He has done a couple of commercials and he was on Punk'd. He is not a household name.

    Keep in mind we may be in the biggest media market but we are also second fiddle in this market to the Giants. And everyone is below the Yankees. And the Knicks are ahead of us as well in terms of marketability.

    Revis is worth peanuts to the Jets after he retires. He has a poor relationship with Woody. He will probably show up to his Ring of Honor and that is about it. He holds no intrinsic value for us.

    Pay him for what you think he is worth on the football field. There will be other players that can sell jerseys for us (ie Tebow).

    And another thing is that Revis has only been "Revis" for 3 years (2009-2011). Lets let him dominate the league for a decade like some other players have before we start worrying about such things.
    LOL, you couldn't be more wrong. Peanuts? Not a household name?

    He is one of the more marketable players in the league, one of the main faces of the league on all network promos, various commercial lines, he has his own sneaker line with Nike. There isn't a player on the Giants that is bigger than him right now in the league in terms of marketing and merchandising, and I'd be interested to see comparisons of Revis and Eli. Nobody on the Giants and few throughout the league has a brand like Revis right now, and it's only growing this off-season as Revis is doing his own documentary of his injury that will turn out to be another marketing plug.

    A player like Revis is more than just the player on the field, he goes to a small market team, and he will instantly become the biggest marketed player on the team. Who on the Bucs right now has a bigger profile?

    It's not about the Jets vs the Giants, or the Knicks, it's the player, and without question, Revis' profile is a big reason why he's seeking the contract he is, and why he will command larger compensation in any trade.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 03-24-2013 at 12:10 AM.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    This may shock some but Martin was a better Jet then Revis could ever think of being.. I'm not talking about ability as a player I mean as a person and role model..
    Of course, agreed, I'm not suggesting Revis is a better Jet than a player like Martin, or the best Jet ever, not what I'm suggesting at all. I'm talking explicitly about the player's profile as an NFL player right now. The injury probably put a dent on this, but there is no question that up until that injury, and then with all the trade talk this off-season, his brand has only grown.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Am I the only person who doesn't think the Darrelle Revis is so great?

    SAR I
    YES, you are...

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Am I the only person who doesn't think the Darrelle Revis is so great?

    SAR I
    Considering you fawn over Mark Sanchez I can't really say that I'm surprised to hear this from you. Then again, you've been quiet on that subject so this might be your new "schtick" to go along with your endless blasting of Rex coming out for the first time.

    Is he a greedy little pr*ck? Yes. Is he also a great shutdown cornerback? Absolutely.

  11. #51
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    LOL, you couldn't be more wrong. Peanuts? Not a household name?

    He is one of the more marketable players in the league, one of the main faces of the league on all network promos, various commercial lines, he has his own sneaker line with Nike. There isn't a player on the Giants that is bigger than him right now in the league in terms of marketing and merchandising, and I'd be interested to see comparisons of Revis and Eli. Nobody on the Giants and few throughout the league has a brand like Revis right now, and it's only growing this off-season as Revis is doing his own documentary of his injury that will turn out to be another marketing plug.

    A player like Revis is more than just the player on the field, he goes to a small market team, and he will instantly become the biggest marketed player on the team. Who on the Bucs right now has a bigger profile?

    It's not about the Jets vs the Giants, or the Knicks, it's the player, and without question, Revis' profile is a big reason why he's seeking the contract he is, and why he will command larger compensation in any trade.
    Ray, you are looking at this through a narrow scope. Every example you give is directed to the NFL or sports fan. Not everyone watches NFLN. Revis is not mainstream like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Yes, he will sell jerseys but that is about it. He is not an exciting player. In fact he is quite boring to the average person. He is brutally efficient at what he does and you rarely see him or hear his name called during the games.

    Football is a team sport which is why it is hard for an individual to attain such status.

    You are overrating his marketability. He is not even the most marketable on his own team. He is definitely behind Tebow and maybe even Sanchez still although that might change after last year.

    And the teams we share a market with do matter b.c our slice of the pie is smaller.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 03-24-2013 at 07:02 AM.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Ray, you are looking at this through a narrow scope. Every example you give is directed to the NFL or sports fan. Not everyone watches NFLN. Revis is not mainstream like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Yes, he will sell jerseys but that is about it. He is not an exciting player. In fact he is quite boring to the average person. He is brutally efficient at what he does and you rarely see him or hear his name called during the games.

    Football is a team sport which is why it is hard for an individual to attain such status.

    You are overrating his marketability. He is not even the most marketable on his own team. He is definitely behind Tebow and maybe even Sanchez still although that might change after last year.

    And the teams we share a market with do matter b.c our slice of the pie is smaller.
    This.

    No matter how skilled you are if you are a BD, you really won't have mass market appeal. When a DB does his job, he gets LESS attention.

    White QBs and black big mouthed WRs are where it's at.

    Tebow's jersey is 8th best seller....Revis' is not even on the top selling LIST.
    Last edited by FF2; 03-24-2013 at 08:37 AM.

  13. #53
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,539
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    This.

    No matter how skilled you are if you are a BD, you really won't have mass market appeal. When a DB does his job, he gets LESS attention.

    White QBs and black big mouthed WRs are where it's at.

    Tebow's jersey is 8th best seller....Revis' is not even on the top selling LIST.
    However Wayne Chrebet had huge jersey sales..

  14. #54
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,934
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    This.

    No matter how skilled you are if you are a BD, you really won't have mass market appeal. When a DB does his job, he gets LESS attention.

    White QBs and black big mouthed WRs are where it's at.

    Tebow's jersey is 8th best seller....Revis' is not even on the top selling LIST.
    It's Revis' personality that sucks(marketing wise). Deion was pretty well known as I recall. He took risks, and had flare, and style. Revis has a big beard, and he whines a lot. I think they're both black so I'm not sure if that has any bearing on it, but you would know better.

  15. #55
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,117
    We are talking about if a player is marketable enough to a point where it can and/or should effect their contract. Very few NFL players, if any, fall under that category.

    The NFL shares it's TV revenue. This is not that Yankees who have the YES network and are trying to sell ad space.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Ray, you are looking at this through a narrow scope. Every example you give is directed to the NFL or sports fan. Not everyone watches NFLN. Revis is not mainstream like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Yes, he will sell jerseys but that is about it. He is not an exciting player. In fact he is quite boring to the average person. He is brutally efficient at what he does and you rarely see him or hear his name called during the games.

    Football is a team sport which is why it is hard for an individual to attain such status.

    You are overrating his marketability. He is not even the most marketable on his own team. He is definitely behind Tebow and maybe even Sanchez still although that might change after last year.

    And the teams we share a market with do matter b.c our slice of the pie is smaller.
    I think the point though is that his brand value in Tampa or wherever he might end up is far more relevant than in NYC.In TB or St Louis or Kansas City or indeed any city that isn't New York and maybe,possibly LA, Revis would be the only show in town and his marketability and brand value to a team would be relevant way more so in Gotham where he's just another superstar.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    I think the point though is that his brand value in Tampa or wherever he might end up is far more relevant than in NYC.In TB or St Louis or Kansas City or indeed any city that isn't New York and maybe,possibly LA, Revis would be the only show in town and his marketability and brand value to a team would be relevant way more so in Gotham where he's just another superstar.
    At least somebody gets it. But I'm the one looking through a "narrow scope."

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Ray, you are looking at this through a narrow scope. Every example you give is directed to the NFL or sports fan. Not everyone watches NFLN. Revis is not mainstream like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Yes, he will sell jerseys but that is about it. He is not an exciting player. In fact he is quite boring to the average person. He is brutally efficient at what he does and you rarely see him or hear his name called during the games.

    Football is a team sport which is why it is hard for an individual to attain such status.

    You are overrating his marketability. He is not even the most marketable on his own team. He is definitely behind Tebow and maybe even Sanchez still although that might change after last year.

    And the teams we share a market with do matter b.c our slice of the pie is smaller.
    Football is a team sport...
    Really, football is a team sport? That is what you're going with?

    Get off of your horse, as usual, you miss the point.

    I'm not overrating anything, I'm speaking the facts.

    I asked you to provide me a Giant who has a bigger marketing profile and you can't. There is no slice to any pie, it's about the individual player, Revis isn't sharing anything with respect to his brand. How "boring" he is, which is another asinine statement has nothing to do with this either.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 03-24-2013 at 10:20 AM.

  19. #59
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    I think the point though is that his brand value in Tampa or wherever he might end up is far more relevant than in NYC.In TB or St Louis or Kansas City or indeed any city that isn't New York and maybe,possibly LA, Revis would be the only show in town and his marketability and brand value to a team would be relevant way more so in Gotham where he's just another superstar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    At least somebody gets it. But I'm the one looking through a "narrow scope."
    I will agree to disagree but I hope you're right. Anything that might increase his trade value is a plus to the Jets.

    Ray, you should call in to some Tampa radio stations and promote Revis' brand and how it will help the Bucs. Put some pressure on the Glazers.

  20. #60
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Get off of your horse, I don't need you to lecture me about the sport of football. As usual, you miss the point.

    I'm not overrating anything, I'm speaking the facts.

    I asked you to provide me a Giant who has a bigger marketing profile and you can't. There is no slice to any pie, it's about the individual player, Revis isn't sharing anything with respect to his brand. How "boring" he is, which is another asinine statement has nothing to do with this either.
    Must have missed that. But that is an absolute layup.

    Eli Manning. - Toyota commercials. Oreo commercials. Pepsi commercial. TWO TIME SB CHAMPION!!!!! TWO TIME SB MVP!!!!!!! QUARTERBACK!!!!!

    Winning improves marketability

    Get a clue. One person agreeing you and you are as proud as a peacock.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us