Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Football is more about coaching and less about players...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've always been of the belief that coaching makes all the difference in the world. You could examine two teams and know one team is superior to the other. However, when the game goes down, due to coaching superiority, the game goes quite differently.

So as far as I am concerned, coaching is very important, especially when you play teams in the AFc East. BB is a student of the game. Odds are if you are going to win you are going to have to outsmart BB.

I think Rex is the kind of guy to get that done. The problem is right now he just does not have the horses.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is a good coach period. I don't care what the naysayers claim. Take away Revis, possibly Cromartie, maybe Mo Wilk last year, and jenkins when healthy, the defense hasn't been filled with superstars. And somehow, even with the O giving up a TD every other game, he still fields a competitive top ten D every year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    ?

He was talking about how horrible our OC's have been (if you can even call them that) and our even worse QB situation.
    A sh*t ton of people on here want to blame Rex and can't wait to see him fired... that is what i was referring to. Kind of a sidenote, but in the ballpark of what the OP was saying, I think.

I think Rex IS a great coach, as do many NFL players. I didn't see anyone quitting on him at the end of last season when the games didn't matter...

I bet Belicheat would've had less wins with the same roster.
    I like Rex and hope he stays. I think they learned their lesson (giving him too much offensive control) MM will have full control of the offense - which will make Rex a better Coach.

Of course, everything matters - coaching, talent etc...

But if you had to pick one thing that has more control than anything else it's QB play.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    No doubt QB's are the most important position, but ask Marino if great QB play is in and of itself enough to win SB. Nor do you need great QB play to make it to and to win a SB, ask Dilfer. It's a "team" sport. Coaching, chemistry, talent and luck are always part of the mix.
    Of course you need other things than QB and of course there are aberrations (Dilfer, still?)

quality ownership,coaches and talent are all important but the most important is the talent level of your QB.

I find it hard to believe anyone that watches today's NFL could argue with that.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    No doubt QB's are the most important position, but ask Marino if great QB play is in and of itself enough to win SB... It's a "team" sport. Coaching ....
    The main topic was comparing coaching & qb impact ... FYI, Marino had the great Don Shula as his HC

Ljr

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Rex is a good coach period. I don't care what the naysayers claim. Take away Revis, possibly Cromartie, maybe Mo Wilk last year, and jenkins when healthy, the defense hasn't been filled with superstars. And somehow, even with the O giving up a TD every other game, he still fields a competitive top ten D every year.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    The Great Bill Bellichick didn't want to coach the jets but rather the Patriots who had more talent he perceived.
    I personally believe it was more he didn't want BP staying on as GM and taking all the credit ... I'm sure they both may have been true though

Ljr

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    The main topic was comparing coaching & qb impact ... FYI, Marino had the great Don Shula as his HC

Ljr
    The game is very different now than when Marino played

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are very few people arguing that Rex is a quantity DC, but can't ignore the offense has a HC

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Basketball is the opposite. In football you can win games as long as the coaching is superior than the talent. When I look at this team since Rex came onboard, I see a defensive team taking too much of the burden and poor play at QB and even worse coaching, lets face it Schotty and Sparano are both terrible coordinator, that's why I am somewhat optimistic, for the first time in years we have a very capable offensive coordinator, in terms of offensive phylosophy, game planning and proven track record, Marty is head and shoulders above what we had here.
    Disagree on the basketball front. The Lakers are stacked with talent and can't win. When ever they where good it was always a HOF coach leading the way. The Clippers before they signed this last coach where the same way. Couldn't win anything now Vinny Del Negro looks like the future of the league. There haven't been very many coaches to win it all in the NBA. It is the main reason why Ok may never win a title.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Gary Stevens said it best . You can't make chicken salad out of Chicken sh-t . I don't care what coach your talking about you're probably only as good as the talent you have around you. See Jimmy Johnson early cowboy years.

If your statement was even remotely true than Johnson wouldn't have had the record he had his first couple of years with Cowboys.

The Great Bill Parcells how many coaching jobs did he leave at the right time. ( Stuck it to ray Handley by leaving an aging roster + knew the run was over) You think that was by accident or coincidence when Bill Parcells decided to semi retire.
    The Great Bill Bellichick didn't want to coach the jets but rather the Patriots who had more talent he perceived.

I can name you countless examples that prove my point, I'm not saying talent is not important, but every football team has talent, what I'm saying is that coaching plays an even bigger role than just talent.

The Jets had more talent than NE did when Belichick left, NE was a mess. He did a good job coaching that team and cheating helped him immensely but their best receiver was Troy Brown and their running back was Antwoine Smith. Their Ol was recognized by many as the worst in the league, in fact in Belichick's first year in NE, they went 6-10 and the Jets swept them, they were horrible!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Disagree on the basketball front. The Lakers are stacked with talent and can't win. When ever they where good it was always a HOF coach leading the way. The Clippers before they signed this last coach where the same way. Couldn't win anything now Vinny Del Negro looks like the future of the league. There haven't been very many coaches to win it all in the NBA. It is the main reason why Ok may never win a title.

Chemistry is bad in LA and you're right talent alone sometimes won't win, but talent wins championships every time, can't remember a not so talented team ever winning an NBA Championship, it's always the Bulls, Lakers, Celtics and Heat of the world that win.

Del Negro probably has the second or third most talented team in the league, think before you post. Griffin is a top 15 player and Paul is top 5, take them away and Vinny's scraping bottom. N.O went from one if tge best teams to one of the worst when Paul left, same with Cleveland with Lebron, Orlando with Howard and Shaquille a few years ago.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 03-24-2013 at 02:03 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is the best thing we got going right now, he is head and shoulders the best defensive mind in the league and a great motivator, meaning that his influence goes beyond just the defense, he's not like his dad, he may not get involved as much in the coaching aspects of the offense because he is a good delegator a great trait to have as a head coach. Of course delegating works best when you have excellent people under you.

We now have an excellent, not just good but an excellent OC in Morningwheg, not a couple of slapdicks like Rex loves to say, Schotty sucked and Sparano was worse neither had a track record of success running an offense anywhere before coming here.

Rex has gotten the team within a hair of the SB twice in this day and age without a powerful offense and no QB to speak of, we should be kissing the ground he walks on not looking to get rid of him. We needed three things around here; one a competent GM, two a competent OC and three a franchise QB.

We got one and two, need three but headcoach is not the problem.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 03-24-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yet when we need a stop it seems they are unable

The slide in 2011 starting with Denver 4th qtr was pretty much all lack of defense.

I get your point but its a useless stat when you are 8 and 8 or 6 and 10.

I like REX but he is no GREAT coach yet. He's good. Barely 500 regular season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    In the NFL, coaching is more important than any other sport BUT talent still reigns supreme.
    I totally agree. There's an old saying that's as true today as it ever was: Coaches don't win games, players do. Coaches can only lose them. I've seen plenty of examples of that over the years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    I can name you countless examples that prove my point, I'm not saying talent is not important, but every football team has talent, what I'm saying is that coaching plays an even bigger role than just talent.

The Jets had more talent than NE did when Belichick left, NE was a mess. He did a good job coaching that team and cheating helped him immensely but their best receiver was Troy Brown and their running back was Antwoine Smith. Their Ol was recognized by many as the worst in the league, in fact in Belichick's first year in NE, they went 6-10 and the Jets swept them, they were horrible!
    Then in 2001 he went out and got a batch of new players in free agency, Bledsoe got hurt, Brady took over and they've had the best record in the NFL since.

Btw, Troy Brown was a lot better than you think. He would have been a HUGE hit here in the big apple.