Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Government, Technology, and Privacy: When will citizens stand up?

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Government, Technology, and Privacy: When will citizens stand up?

    Giving up rights all in the name of fighting terrorism just keeps steam rolling citizens with no end in sight. Pay attention especially to Bloomberg's defeated attitude (wink wink) about the subject rather than fighting against it.

    http://www.businessinsider.com/mayor...-in-nyc-2013-3


    New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg considers the domestic use of military-style drones "scary" but says that there is no way to stop it.

    “Everybody wants their privacy, but I don’t know how you’re going to maintain it,” Bloomberg said on his weekly radio show. “It’s just we’re going into a different world, uncharted, and, like it or not, what people can do, what governments can do, is different ... you can’t keep the tides from coming in.”

    In September a Congressional Research report stated that domestic drones may be able to bypass constitutional privacy safeguards because of their high level of sophistication.

    At least 81 entities, including 17 police departments, have applied for permission to fly drones in U.S. airspace.

    But the mayor seems to be referring to something more omnipresent, like having drones with ARGUS technology flying 17,500 feet above the Big Apple while transmitting high resolution images of people.

    "There'll be cameras every place" within five years, Bloomberg estimated. "We're going to have more visibility and less privacy. I just don't see how you could stop that."

    The mayor figures that if the city already has security cameras in strategic places around the city — 2,400 in Manhattan alone as of 1998 — then drones aren't any different.

    “It's scary. What’s the difference whether the drones up in the air or in the building?” Bloomberg said. “I mean intellectually, I have trouble making a distinction. And you know you're going to have face recognition software."

    Donna Lieberman of the New York Civil Liberties Union told CBS that the mayor's nonchalance does nothing to quell legitimate concerns that the government could save the data to analyze it.

    “It’s disappointing that the mayor shows such disdain for the legitimate concern of New Yorkers about their privacy," she said. "None of us expects that we’ll go unseen when we’re out on the street, but we also have the right to expect that the government isn’t making a permanent record."
    Last edited by copernicus; 03-23-2013 at 02:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drones being utilized for surveillance instead of manned planes is scary?

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nanny Bloomberg is too busy worrying how big your soda is. He doesn't have time to worry about your privacy.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    Nanny Bloomberg is too busy worrying how big your soda is. He doesn't have time to worry about your privacy.
    Or maybe the billionaire's Soda Ban is just a distraction for much bigger issues like the failure of HIS public school system and citizen's privacy.
    Last edited by copernicus; 03-23-2013 at 09:23 PM.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,707
    Post Thanks / Like
    Skynet is coming.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Or maybe the billionaire's Soda Ban is just a distraction for much bigger issues like the failure of HIS public school system and citizen's privacy.
    It's a giant conspiracy!

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    It's a giant conspiracy!
    Josef Stalin ruled communist Russia for over 30 years. He continued to murder his own citizens from the beginning to the end of his reign. Million of Russians were murdered by the hands of Stalin. Much of the reason there wasnt an attempt on Josef Stalin life by the Russian citizens was because they continued to believe that Stalin was going to save them. The reason they believed was because its all they saw on the news.

    All we hear on our news is that our country's failures are due to civil servant workers, their pensions, and poor people.

    We also hear that the big bad terrorists (according to the government only Muslim people) are going to kill us all so don't ever question money spent on anything remotely linked to stopping the threat of terrorist.

    Even if it means giving up your rights as an American citizen
    Last edited by copernicus; 03-23-2013 at 10:26 PM.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    You making huge jumps to try to make your point. What rights have you lost? How many Americans have been murdered by their own gov't?

    Stop posting or stop drinking.

    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Josef Stalin ruled communist Russia for over 30 years. He continued to murder his own citizens from the beginning to the end of his reign. Million of Russians were murdered by the hands of Stalin. Much of the reason there wasnt an attempt on Josef Stalin life by the Russian citizens was because they continued to believe that Stalin was going to save them. The reason they believed was because its all they saw on the news.

    All we hear on our news is that our country's failures are due to civil servant workers, their pensions, and poor people.

    We also hear that the big bad terrorists (according to the government only Muslim people) are going to kill us all so don't ever question money spent on anything remotely linked to stopping the threat of terrorist.

    Even if it means giving up your rights as an American citizen

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    You making huge jumps to try to make your point. What rights have you lost? How many Americans have been murdered by their own gov't?

    Stop posting or stop drinking.
    Report: 110 African Americans Killed by Police, Security Guards and Vigilantes in 2012

    A new report has found at least 110 African Americans have been killed by police, security guards and self-appointed vigilantes since the start of 2012. The group Malcolm X Grassroots Movement says African Americans were executed in "extrajudicial" killings at a rate of roughly one every 40 hours during the first six months of the year.

    Nearly half the victims were unarmed, while others were alleged to have "weapons" that included a cane and a toy gun. Racial profiling allegedly played a key role, with nearly 40 percent of police accounts citing "suspicious behavior or appearance" or traffic violations as the reason for attempting to detain the person they killed.

    New York, Texas and Florida were among the states with the highest number of killings. In Florida, where the unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin was shot to death by self-appointed neighborhood guard George Zimmerman, a dozen African Americans were killed.
    http://www.democracynow.org/2012/7/1...lantes_in_2012

    Here is a partial answer.....

  10. #10
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    7,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    All we hear on our news is that our country's failures are due to civil servant workers, their pensions, and poor people.

    We also hear that the big bad terrorists (according to the government only Muslim people) are going to kill us all so don't ever question money spent on anything remotely linked to stopping the threat of terrorist.
    What f*&^ing planet do you live on?

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Report: 110 African Americans Killed by Police, Security Guards and Vigilantes in 2012



    http://www.democracynow.org/2012/7/1...lantes_in_2012

    Here is a partial answer.....



    Only 110? I thought the number would be much higher based on the amount of crime attributed to this group. This demographic should consider getting its act together.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Only 110? I thought the number would be much higher based on the amount of crime attributed to this group. This demographic should consider getting its act together.
    Just what does that mean? Obama is an African American. Looks like we do have our 'act' together. Moreover he kicked Romney's ass

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Report: 110 African Americans Killed by Police, Security Guards and Vigilantes in 2012



    http://www.democracynow.org/2012/7/1...lantes_in_2012

    Here is a partial answer.....
    Sooooo, white people don't rate in this?



    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Just what does that mean? Obama is an African American. Looks like we do have our 'act' together. Moreover he kicked Romney's ass
    Funny, I thought his mom was white. Guess that doesn't matter. Or maybe his race shouldn't matter at all.

    As for the OP, please cash in your pension now and stop teaching. You're dangerous, someone with a bully-pulpit and little knowledge.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Only 110? I thought the number would be much higher based on the amount of crime attributed to this group. This demographic should consider getting its act together.
    ROFLMAO, how much "white collar" crime attributes to the economic state of our country?

    Yeah, its the African Americans that should get their act together while our government "stops and frisks" like we are in Nazi Germany

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    ROFLMAO, how much "white collar" crime attributes to the economic state of our country?

    Yeah, its the African Americans that should get their act together while our government "stops and frisks" like we are in Nazi Germany
    Easy to see why they lost the election with those thoughts

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Sooooo, white people don't rate in this?





    Funny, I thought his mom was white. Guess that doesn't matter. Or maybe his race shouldn't matter at all.

    As for the OP, please cash in your pension now and stop teaching. You're dangerous, someone with a bully-pulpit and little knowledge.
    Just did a quick search to show that the gov't does kill Americans and this was one of the first links.

    Race matters. President Obama's mother is presented more than his father is but since his skin is not closer to hers, he gets a lot of hate

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Just did a quick search to show that the gov't does kill Americans and this was one of the first links.
    Since it only presents a segment of society, it comes across as biased and untrustworthy. Also, calling security guards and vigilantes "government" isn't even close to being accurate. The premise was put forth that the government willfully kills citizens, something you'd be hard-pressed to prove is the case in the large majority of police shootings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Race matters. President Obama's mother is presented more than his father is but since his skin is not closer to hers, he gets a lot of hate
    Obama had what would be considered to be a decidedly non-black upbringing, and that has little to do with his mother being "presented" more than his father. Her family was PRESENT for his upbringing more than his father. Race matters, except when it doesn't, right?

    Personally, I can't stand the guy because he isn't, imo, a very good leader and tends to back away from real challenge. Case in point; he presented himself as the "autism president" when campainging, but has done less for autism than his predecessor, even in the face of an ever-increasing prevalence that now stands at 1-50 children. Sorry, but that's reprehensible.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Just did a quick search to show that the gov't does kill Americans and this was one of the first links.

    Race matters. President Obama's mother is presented more than his father is but since his skin is not closer to hers, he gets a lot of hate
    Fighting ignorance with ignorance, good luck with that bro.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    ROFLMAO, how much "white collar" crime attributes to the economic state of our country?

    Yeah, its the African Americans that should get their act together while our government "stops and frisks" like we are in Nazi Germany
    Wow, you gotta chill with this dumb sh1t.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Fighting ignorance withTruth, good luck with that bro.
    FIXED

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us