Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Does anyone do Crossfit?

OT: Does anyone do Crossfit?

I'm 50 and have been doing it for 2 months. I'm just curious if there are any other 40 or 50 year olds doing it. If so, how long, how have you progressed, how do you feel?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    I'm 50 and have been doing it for 2 months. I'm just curious if there are any other 40 or 50 year olds doing it. If so, how long, how have you progressed, how do you feel?
    I dont...but I can tell you its growing in popularity here in the south as well.

All Pro
    Hampur talk?

In my mid 30's - loved it the few times I did it but YOU HAVE TO REGULATE YOURSELF - there have been sooooo many injuries due to the weight/muscle fatigue/rapidity of the workouts - it can be really tough on back and shoulders especially, but I'm sure you know this already.

My main issue is the cost? At the Jersey Shore, where I live the costs are $150/month meanwhile the Retro Fitness is $10-20 a month right now.

I'm currently slowly getting thru P90X at home that someone burned for me mostly b/c I don't want to pony up the $150 for Crossfit - but overall Crossfit is tremendous IMO.

+1 it's a fad and they are popping all over the place. Injuries galore.

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Hampur talk?

In my mid 30's - loved it the few times I did it but YOU HAVE TO REGULATE YOURSELF - there have been sooooo many injuries due to the weight/muscle fatigue/rapidity of the workouts - it can be really tough on back and shoulders especially, but I'm sure you know this already.

My main issue is the cost? At the Jersey Shore, where I live the costs are $150/month meanwhile the Retro Fitness is $10-20 a month right now.

I'm currently slowly getting thru P90X at home that someone burned for me mostly b/c I don't want to pony up the $150 for Crossfit - but overall Crossfit is tremendous IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    +1 it's a fad and they are popping all over the place. Injuries galore.
    Very low overhead compared to a regular gym...It could be a good investment

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Hampur talk?

+1...I use a personal trainer once a year and I am the CPA for his group and he said the same thing. Injuries etc....

Rookie
    Haven't done it but I agree with those who mentioned about the injuries. With a physical education background, I would say the same. High repetition of high intensity movements with very heavy resistance. Many of which your body was never intended to do. When you pass a slew of really physically fit people with debilitating arthritis and joint problems, ask them how much they enjoyed their Crossfitting. Consider baseball pitchers and their need for arm surgeries versus softball pitchers. Musculature is more designed rotating underarm, than overarm.

P90X or Intensity are far safer. However, those are only ideal for people that are in excellent shape already. Sure, you'll burn calories no matter who you are and drop some weight, but you'd likely see better results the second or third time you repeat one of those programs.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    +1...I use a personal trainer once a year and I am the CPA for his group and he said the same thing. Injuries etc....
    I have a few friends that are personal trainers and they say the same thing about injuries. But, they also admit that Crossfit is cutting into their business. As expensive as Crossfit is, it's still cheaper than a personal trainer...and a lot more fun too.

I think the secret to avoiding injuries doing CF is to know your own body and don't push it to hard even if the woman next to you is kicking a$$..LOL

All Pro
    Yeah, but do you even lift?

Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    Very low overhead compared to a regular gym...It could be a good investment
    Absolutely low overhead because all you need is a warehouse and some tires etc.

I know a woman who was jumping on tables and got a giant gash in her leg because they used regular squared edge tables.

It will die out. IMO

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    This guy.

He gets it.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Dad always said: "If you cain't git it in sideways, then you ain't trying!"

All League
    Not expensive at all, considering all the workouts, faqs, message board, videos, etc are on the website for free. No need to go to an affiliate, or pay the drop in rate if you want to use a specific apparatus or get some coaching.

Infinitely scaleable. Over do it and hurt yourself, just like any exercise.

Not a fad; getting more and more popular.

I avoid all exercise due to the injury factor.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    You still jerk off to your Tom Brady fat head right?

THats some exercise.

Jets Insider VIP
    Walking over to the fridge and accidentally banging your knee on the door does not constitute an exercise injury.

Right. Didn't you tear up your shoulder in a donut accident?

It's definitely a cheese ball fad workout.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Dont know much about it other than this;

They have it in the basement of my gym. Full of hot sweaty chicks throwing stuff around and grunting.

I'm upstairs with two guys with goiters.

-

Kettlebells, power cleans/snatches, sprints, and cross fit (kind of) training.

Don't do a lot of the cross fit workouts - some are damaging (so is the stuff I do).

38 years old (in May), and I'm good. Stronger, faster, better health than most guys I work with, and that's 30-45 (approx).