Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pitoitua/DE 6'7 315 might be headed back to Jets

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems everybody is basing this off what he did or didn't do as a Jet.I'm pretty sure he started for KC last year and posted 50 tackles with a couple of sacks.We're talking depth here and presumably cheap so if we were to lose a guy like Wilk or Coples then having a still young back-up whose capable of starting can't be the worst move in the world.

Would rather that than drafting another DL when we have greater needs to fill even in the mid to late rounds.

Bleacherreport(yeah I know) had him rated s one of the top 30 3-4 DL in the league....interestingly Coples and Wilkerson were up there too with Mo ranked No2 behind only JJ Watt

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    But we can get better Ray. Dixon is a far better player then Pito and just as cheap!
    Is he?

Dixon was on the street and signed after the season ended. Pito was a starter in KC.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Because A: Vilma doesn't fit our scheme and has already been easily replaced.

and B: They are both on the downside of their careers.

Do you seriously think before you post this drivel??
    McKnight is just as good as Washington at this point and has plenty of years ahead of him. On top of that, why in gods name would we want to sign Vilma to a contract at this point? We're already overpaying one overrated MLB (Who is still better than the guy he replaced) why would we want to sign another? Are you really not able to comprehend how we are trying to build this team? What's really amazing is how attached some fans still are to aging ex-jets who were fan favorites and would do just about anything to get them back. Things such as clamoring for the team to sign them again despite the fact that there is literally zero need for them on this roster.

FWIW, Pitoitua wasn't bad when he left this team. The coaches were pretty high on him but he ended up getting hurt in the '10 pre-season and Devito ended up filling his role. Unfortunately for Ropati, Mike ended up becoming one of the more solid 3-4 DE's in the league and he got to keep his spot. Now Devito is gone and we need guys for depth while we bring Coples along and thrust him into the starting spot. Really don't understand how anyone with any shred of football knowledge could have a real issue with this move. He's cheap and coming off a really solid year with KC. Perfect replacement for Devito. Especially since he knows the system.
    You are right about that, he was the same guy who started a thread saying the Jets should sign Urlacher as well......LOL.

Ropati would be a good addition. He has experience, great size and will come pretty cheap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Is he?

Dixon was on the street and signed after the season ended. Pito was a starter in KC.
    Dixon is listed as being on the KC roster, Pito is listed as an UFA. Started 10 games last year and notched 51 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 FF.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Dixon is listed as being on the KC roster, Pito is listed as an UFA. Started 10 games last year and notched 51 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 FF.
    Which only means Dixon is scratching for an opportunity, Pito could be looking for a better opportunity.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You are right about that, he was the same guy who started a thread saying the Jets should sign Urlacher as well......LOL.

Ropati would be a good addition. He has experience, great size and will come pretty cheap.
    urlacher has experience, size and will come cheap too. our lb corps is depleted where is the depth or experience? mcintyre,muaga arent the answers. im not saying urlacher is the same player he was 7 years ago but he could add nice depth and vet prescence and maybe teach harris a thing or 2.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19
    Which only means Dixon is scratching for an opportunity, Pito could be looking for a better opportunity.
    Just to give a little perspective, the numbers Pitoitua put up in 10 games with KC is more production then Dixon has had in 2 + seasons with the Jets.....

If I was going to pick one or the other (not that either are world beaters) it would be Ropati hands down.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-24-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Just to give a little perspective, the numbers Pitoitua put up in 10 games with KC is more production then Dixon has had in 2 + seasons with the Jets.....

If I was going to pick one or the other (not that either are world beaters) it would be Ropati hands down.

This....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    urlacher has experience, size and will come cheap too. our lb corps is depleted where is the depth or experience? mcintyre,muaga arent the answers. im not saying urlacher is the same player he was 7 years ago but he could add nice depth and vet prescence and maybe teach harris a thing or 2.
    Urlacher turned down 2 million.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    If he's healthy, would be a solid replacement for DeVito.
    ^ = post of ignorance

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Urlacher turned down 2 million.
    Urlacher may not get signed, IMO the guy is done. I don't think his ego will allow him to sign on the cheap, so hard for a player of his caliber to admit it when they are thru, sad.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Mo and Coples will be playing allot of downs this year. Having a guy like Ropati makes all the sense in the world. Will be a nice backup after playing a significant role on the Chiefs d-line last year. And he knows Rex's defense. How can anyone complain about this, assuming we sign him and to a cap friendly deal.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntinJet View Post
    Urlacher may not get signed, IMO the guy is done. I don't think his ego will allow him to sign on the cheap, so hard for a player of his caliber to admit it when they are thru, sad.
    urlacher on his last leg is way better than maugua and mcintyre this is my point along with his lockeroom leadership on a team that needs it most.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    urlacher on his last leg is way better than maugua and mcintyre this is my point along with his lockeroom leadership on a team that needs it most.
    He's not coming cheap as you said before.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's not coming cheap as you said before.
    what is nfl cheap these days? 2-3 million seems like a bargain considering some of the exhuberant salaries many of these guys are getting that dont deserve it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

It is hard to argue against the stats. But the Chiefs let Pitoitua go and signed Dixon in February. So they must think Dixon is better too. Both are probably getting no guaranteed money so the money shouldn't have effected their decision.

Personally, I would rather have Dixon but he is not available now. I will be rooting for him in KC. I like his story and wish him the best.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    what is nfl cheap these days? 2-3 million seems like a bargain considering some of the exhuberant salaries many of these guys are getting that dont deserve it.
    Maybe you and some of the other guys didn't watch how Urlacher played last year. He was super slow like Scott and when he did play he averaged a little over 5 tackles a game and missed a ton of tackles. I thought the idea of this off-season was to get younger and faster so why bring in a very old, very injured and very slow MLB? What value does he have? Leadership? It's overrated. And $2-$3 million for a backup ILB is a lot of money. If you haven't noticed; the salaries that the guys we have been bringing in are anywhere from $1-$1.5 million in their first year. We're not going to pay an old, slow, injury prone MLB $2-$3 million when we can get the same production from Mauga as a backup as we could from Urlacher. No thanks, pass.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Urlacher turned down an offer of that amount. GET IT? He's not coming cheaply. He wants MORE than that. Stop saying he'd come here for a cheap 2-3 million because he already refused an offer of that amount.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Urlacher turned down an offer of that amount. GET IT? He's not coming cheaply. He wants MORE than that. Stop saying he'd come here for a cheap 2-3 million because he already refused an offer of that amount.
    i dont know what urlacher would accept i only said i would like him here. maybe hes past his time, i dont know that and neither do you. he has played hurt the last few seasons. id just like to see this team bring in a vet leader who can also contribute something on and off the field. young teams need this. rex has proven he isnt the role model for young players.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i dont know what urlacher would accept i only said i would like him here. maybe hes past his time, i dont know that and neither do you. he has played hurt the last few seasons. id just like to see this team bring in a vet leader who can also contribute something on and off the field. young teams need this. rex has proven he isnt the role model for young players.
    You insisted he would come cheaply

You're guessing he would come for a 'cheap' 2-3 million, which he has already turned down.

And I don't believe it is such a great mystery to know whether he is 'past his time'. I don't think we need to pay him 4-5 million in order to find out.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 03-24-2013 at 02:01 PM.