Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Jets impressed with Geno Smith and want him

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Why does this logic only pertain to Barkley? Why not draft any other QB -- even a Sanchez clone -- since "anything can happen"? Why waste a high draft pick when we can get the next Kurt Warner from Walmart?

USC has given NO reason to believe what you see on the field will translate to the NFL. Odds are it will some day, but to argue that 2013 is that day is hopeful at best . . .
    It doesn't only pertain to Barkley. It applies to every QB wherever they may have attended school. I just confronted this line of thought that was pointed at Barkley.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by estang74 View Post
    Name one USC QB over the last decade that has been solid.

Sanchez
    Cassel
    Booty
    Leinart

So if Andrew Luck had chosen to go to USC, you would have passed on him with the first pick?

Barkley is who he is and it has nothing to do with Booty or even Cassel (who was merely a Backup at USC, 7th round pick and has had more success in the NFL than some first round picks).

With all that said that are some issues with Barkley. His height and arm strength to name two. But the fact that he went to USC is not one of them.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a big Oklahoma fan so I got to watch WV play the Sooners and I gotta say, he doesn't impress me. Even watching the Pinstripe Bowl, I felt the same way.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Jets_Penguin View Post
    Actually it's not about easy or hard, it is about trends and statistics. The same trends and statistics that we all have been using for years to formulate opinions. If you want to believe that Barkley is going to be the FIRST great QB to come out of USC then you have a right to that opinion because you form it on your personal beliefs. That doesn't however discount the yet to be broken streak of failed QB's from that school. If anything is irrelevant it is other schools since the subject if USC.

The point is that USC is a high profile school, run a pro-style offense and plays just enough weaklings along the course of a season to pad the QB's stats and get drafted pretty high. The QB's coming out of that school look like they have a better than average chance to be successful but thus far NONE have been better than average..............Not a few, not half, NONE.

That is what we are all basing our opinions on. Sanchez is just the latest example but really has nothing to do with the conversation other than he played here.
    Nonsense. Carson Palmer was a very good pro qb. His success was ultimately derailed by injuries and what was, at times, a very poor Bengals team. Doesn't change the fact that he was an above average QB at one point in his career.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course he impresses them. Compared to Sanchez he likely looks like Elway. I think every QB the JETS look at will impress them. At least more then Sanchez and Elroy does.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    No Offense Maine and we usually agree but.................it's not just that Sanchez sucks (he does and always will) it's the long history of QB's from that school that flourished in a pro-style offense but haven't really amounted to anything special at the pro level. That being said I haven't watched enough of Barkley to make a decision either way.....but the odds on him doing well are against him.
    You have to say that about just about every QB drafted, ever.

And every college has much more QB failures than successes. You'd be hard pressed to find a college where you can say they produce QB's.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Nonsense. Carson Palmer was a very good pro qb. His success was ultimately derailed by injuries and what was, at times, a very poor Bengals team. Doesn't change the fact that he was an above average QB at one point in his career.
    Sorry but I have to disagree. I could never understand the supporters of Palmer. Granted he had some injuries but if he showed anything "above average" it was too brief to be tangible or considered. He has been more average than above average.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    This is so stupid. The stigma that USC and the PAC 12 gets for its QB's is just so ridiculous.

Jamarcus Russel, Blaine Gabbert, & Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy- Recent SEC QB's, everybody's favorite conference to circlejerk over. Stafford has been pretty good but throwing to Calvin Johnson definitely helps and he hasn't been that consistent. That 09 class has just sucked so far. Cam is another SEC guy who just hasn't been consistent and can still flame out. This conference hasn't had a truly GREAT QB come from it since the Mannings.

Conference or competition means absolutely nothing if the quarterback is a solid/great prospect. Luck and Rodgers came from the Pac 12. RG3 came from the Big 12 (same as Geno). Kaepernick came from the Mountain West Conference.

Matt Barkley is not Sanchez, Booty, Leinart, Marinovich, Palmer, etc. He is just Matt Barkley. Projecting whether or not he is a solid pro should have absolutely nothing to do with his school and it's former players.
    Yeah, but its so much easier to just point to USC QBs and saying they all suck.

I guess if Luck or Rogers or whoever went to USC they would have turned into Sanchez too. This is stupid, if a QB is good, he's good. You don't not take him because someone before him at the school didn't work out.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    You have to say that about just about every QB drafted, ever.

And every college has much more QB failures than successes. You'd be hard pressed to find a college where you can say they produce QB's.
    This is true overall but I am only referring to the first round busts from USC. I am open to being wrong, what other school has had as many high profile, first round busts as USC has?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, but its so much easier to just point to USC QBs and saying they all suck.

I guess if Luck or Rogers or whoever went to USC they would have turned into Sanchez too. This is stupid, if a QB is good, he's good. You don't not take him because someone before him at the school didn't work out.
    That would be true IF luck or Rogers didn't go there but they didn't. Let's not drift into hypotheticals, let's just talk about the facts. If either of them went there then this conversation would never have happened but they didn't...........nor did any other QB that has been successful.

People are confusing the point, we are not talking about schools that have QB's that don't pan out, all schools have them. We are talking about a school where ALL the QB's flop. That is the point.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be true IF luck or Rogers didn't go there but they didn't. Let's not drift into hypotheticals, let's just talk about the facts. If either of them went there then this conversation would never have happened but they didn't...........nor did any other QB that has been successful.

People are confusing the point, we are not talking about schools that have QB's that don't pan out, all schools have them. We are talking about a school where ALL the QB's flop. That is the point.
    So you have no point then other than they didn't and you cant answer the question.

Facts? Which school is a sure fire producer of NFL QB's? Name one single school that you feel sure gives you a 50% chance of producing a NFL starting QB.

You have not one single fact that relates to Barkley becoming a NFL QB. Because there is no fact, on any level that says that someone can or can't produce because others before him didn't. Name me all the Stanford QBs not named Elway that were HOF Qb's. All the Pitt QB's not named Marion who did the same. All those who didn't flop out of SMiss before Favre? I can go on and on. Didn't stop those QB's from producing.

Only difference with USC is they always produce on a collegiate level, get more hype and that same success rate is a letdown to those who promote their QBs

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cards and Bills are welcome to this guy

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Cards and Bills are welcome to this guy
    +1

I'm amazed how much resistance there is to doubting USC QBs. I know the law of averages says one has to pan out sooner or later, but I don't see this guy being the one who pulls it off. Someone else is more than welcome to him . . .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish, stop starting threads.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    Lots of reports/rumors going around.
    We'd have to trade up, certainly in front of Arizona and Buffalo, but possibly even in front of Philly or the Raiders

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you have no point then other than they didn't and you cant answer the question.

Facts? Which school is a sure fire producer of NFL QB's? Name one single school that you feel sure gives you a 50% chance of producing a NFL starting QB.

You have not one single fact that relates to Barkley becoming a NFL QB. Because there is no fact, on any level that says that someone can or can't produce because others before him didn't. Name me all the Stanford QBs not named Elway that were HOF Qb's. All the Pitt QB's not named Marion who did the same. All those who didn't flop out of SMiss before Favre? I can go on and on. Didn't stop those QB's from producing.

Only difference with USC is they always produce on a collegiate level, get more hype and that same success rate is a letdown to those who promote their QBs
    Actually you proved my point EXACTLY, which was that USC has produced ZERO QB's at the level of the ones you mentioned, not one despite them producing at the collegiate level.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Mainejet,

Let's say the Jets get Barkley and he ends up stinking up the joint like Sanchez, would you still be willing to go after yet ANOTHER USC Trojan QB?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    So Mainejet,

Let's say the Jets get Barkley and he ends up stinking up the joint like Sanchez, would you still be willing to go after yet ANOTHER USC Trojan QB?
    Absolutely, as long as he is a top qb prospect and our scouting staff believe he can be "the guy" then you draft that qb. Take Arizona for example, if they can't get Geno, there are many that believe they will go for Barkley if they can get him. This is the same team that drafted Matt "Mega bust" Leinart. You don't skip on a completely different prospect because you or others got burned by their school in he past. It's ridiculous.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    So Mainejet,

Whether I would or wouldn't has NOTHING to do with what school he attended. That's called "guilt by association" and it's the dumbest standard I've ever seen.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well at least the color coded cards used for Mark Sanchez will not go to waste:
    http://prod.www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-v...aking-his-case

RGIII, he ain't:
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combin...ows-his-smarts