Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 101

Thread: Jets impressed with Geno Smith and want him

  1. #41
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,169
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    Lots of reports/rumors going around.
    Don't give up your day job...


  2. #42
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    The Barkley/Sanchez comparisons are garbage. Sanchez started 1 season and some change at USC. There wasn't enough film on him to fully evaluate him.

    Barkley started 4 seasons and what he showed this season, with all of the adversity he went through, has shown me that he has all the physical tools that Sanchez has, but he has a lot more confidence and mental toughness where Sanchez lacks.

    As far as Geno Smith, I don't have an opinion on him yet. But this is what I think:

    Philly is not drafting him with Vick and Foles already on the roster and holes everywhere else.

    Cleveland isn't drafting him. They are bluffing to attempt to trade down because they dont have a 2nd round pick this year.

    It's absolutely possible that AZ passes on Smith in the first with Stanton already signed. It's logical to think they will take the tackle from OK, Johnson and then roll the dice with Barkley with their second pick.

    Buffalo will either take Smith or Nassib. They could take Warmack to replace Levitre and then take Nassib in the second.

    So if Smith is there at 9 and we pass, he is going to free fall until someone of the teams mentioned, or Jax trades back up into the first.

    If we like him, maybe this is why Idzik is holding out for a 2013 1st rounder for Revis.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    The Barkley/Sanchez comparisons are garbage. Sanchez started 1 season and some change at USC. There wasn't enough film on him to fully evaluate him.

    Barkley started 4 seasons and what he showed this season, with all of the adversity he went through, has shown me that he has all the physical tools that Sanchez has, but he has a lot more confidence and mental toughness where Sanchez lacks.

    As far as Geno Smith, I don't have an opinion on him yet. But this is what I think:

    Philly is not drafting him with Vick and Foles already on the roster and holes everywhere else.

    Cleveland isn't drafting him. They are bluffing to attempt to trade down because they dont have a 2nd round pick this year.

    It's absolutely possible that AZ passes on Smith in the first with Stanton already signed. It's logical to think they will take the tackle from OK, Johnson and then roll the dice with Barkley with their second pick.

    Buffalo will either take Smith or Nassib. They could take Warmack to replace Levitre and then take Nassib in the second.

    So if Smith is there at 9 and we pass, he is going to free fall until someone of the teams mentioned, or Jax trades back up into the first.

    If we like him, maybe this is why Idzik is holding out for a 2013 1st rounder for Revis.
    They're not Barkley/Sanchez comparisons, they're Barkley/every other QB from USC comparisons.

    And if Arizona passes on Geno because they have Drew Stanton, there's no way I want the guy anywhere near the first round . . .

  4. #44
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    12,756
    Quote Originally Posted by estang74 View Post
    Name one USC QB over the last decade that has been solid.

    Sanchez
    Cassel
    Booty
    Leinart
    Palmer

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets_Penguin View Post
    No Offense Maine and we usually agree but.................it's not just that Sanchez sucks (he does and always will) it's the long history of QB's from that school that flourished in a pro-style offense but haven't really amounted to anything special at the pro level. That being said I haven't watched enough of Barkley to make a decision either way.....but the odds on him doing well are against him.
    The odds are stacked against EVERY QB that has ever come out.

    What I do not understand in this thread is all of the "guilt by association" going on here. That's foolish.

    So Barkley is coming out of USC. The same college Sanchez came from. WTF does that have to do with Barkley?

    Barkley is a different kid. He's NOT Sanchez.

    You can't go wrong picking a kid that has played in a pro style offense in college. At the end of the day, you do the best that you can to know how this kid will develop. Then I'd say most CS's expect the worst and hope for the best. It's a crap shoot. All of these prospects are complete and total gambles.

    Now there may be better prospects even in this years draft. If that's the case then that is fine. But to hate Barkley because he played at the same college where our failure of a QB went?

    That's bush league at best.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by estang74 View Post
    Name one USC QB over the last decade that has been solid.

    Sanchez
    Cassel
    Booty
    Leinart
    Were you born YESTERDAY? Who gives a flying f*ck about any of those QB's? Are you asking me to?

    Please tell me you are intelligent enough to know that Matt Barkley is NOT anyone of those QB's you are mentioning?

    In fact, stack them up. Name every QB in their history that has sucked.

    Who gives a f*ck? I certainly don't.

    IT ONLY TAKES ONE.

  7. #47
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

    So Barkley is coming out of USC. The same college Sanchez came from. WTF does that have to do with Barkley?
    Same school, same program, same conference, same coaches, same opponents, same weather, same wimpy defenses they faced, same high caliber players around them, there's a reason reputations are created.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 03-24-2013 at 07:47 PM.

  8. #48
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,628
    Quote Originally Posted by estang74 View Post
    Name one USC QB over the last decade that has been solid.

    Sanchez
    Cassel
    Booty
    Leinart
    You know how many QB's from USC made the HOF?? 0

  9. #49
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The ZONE, Az
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Same school, same program, same conference, same coaches, same opponents, same weather, same wimpy defenses, there's a reason reputations are created.
    Well Done.

  10. #50
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The ZONE, Az
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You know how many QB's from USC made the HOF?? 0
    How many made the superbowl? aside from the flash in the pan Palmer, how many made the playoffs more than twice in their careers? Yes there are individuals who deserve credit on their own merit BUT that long a streak of ineptitude does give more room for pause than another school with that many QB's selected.
    Last edited by Jets_Penguin; 03-24-2013 at 07:58 PM.

  11. #51
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets_Penguin View Post
    How many made the superbowl? aside from the flash in the pan Palmer, how many made the playoffs more than twice in their careers? Yes they are individuals so deserve credit on their own merit BUT that long a streak of ineptitude does give more room for pause than another school with that many QB's selected.
    However there are a lot of QB's in the HOF from the state of Pennsylvania..

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Same school, same program, same conference, same coaches, same opponents, same weather, same wimpy defenses, there's a reason reputations are created.
    IT ONLY TAKES ONE

    How many times must I explain this to so many stuck in first gear?

    Who gives a f*ck about all of these things that you are stating?

    Does ANY of this mean Barkley will not learn how to read defenses? Does any of that mean that the pro game will not slow down for Barkley? Does any of this mean he won't have a good pocket presence?

    No to all of it.

    Like I said already, you can do all of the research you'd like and it still will not make a damn bit of difference. You never know when that franchise QB will come along. It's a risk that every team must take.

    Tom Brady anyone?

  13. #53
    If Arizona is saying that they definitely wont draft him then guess what? They really are going to draft him and they simply want him there at 7. They don't want to have to move up or bargain with the Lions or Browns to stop another team from jumping them to get him. Does Arizona need a QB? Duh - you can bet they are gonna pick him. Jets or Bills would have to move up to 5 or 6 to get him. The Jets might be acting like they want him so they can determine if Buffalo or Arizona wants him and the Jets if they do want him might need a trade in place with #5 or #6. Possibly maybe the Jets don't want him but they want Buffalo to lose picks and have to move up to get him.
    Who really knows at this point. I don't trust a thing that I hear right now. Rex Ryan could of told Jarvis Jones to have a bad workout because he guaranteed to pick him at 9 but if I'm Jones theres no real guarantee so it would of been a mistake. Nobody knows till the pick is in.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets_Penguin View Post
    How many made the superbowl? aside from the flash in the pan Palmer, how many made the playoffs more than twice in their careers? Yes they are individuals so deserve credit on their own merit BUT that long a streak of ineptitude does give more room for pause than another school with that many QB's selected.
    Key word being SELECTED. Just because those other schoolQB's were selected, does that mean they turned out to be great?

    This streak of ineptitude that you talk about is completely irrelevant. They are all individuals. You never know when one QB may have the inner abilities (something that cannot be taught) to become a great QB.

    If it were as easy as avoiding certain schools, I guess everyone would have franchise QB's by now?

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Same school, same program, same conference, same coaches, same opponents, same weather, same wimpy defenses, there's a reason reputations are created.
    This is so stupid. The stigma that USC and the PAC 12 gets for its QB's is just so ridiculous.

    Jamarcus Russel, Blaine Gabbert, & Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy- Recent SEC QB's, everybody's favorite conference to circlejerk over. Stafford has been pretty good but throwing to Calvin Johnson definitely helps and he hasn't been that consistent. That 09 class has just sucked so far. Cam is another SEC guy who just hasn't been consistent and can still flame out. This conference hasn't had a truly GREAT QB come from it since the Mannings.

    Conference or competition means absolutely nothing if the quarterback is a solid/great prospect. Luck and Rodgers came from the Pac 12. RG3 came from the Big 12 (same as Geno). Kaepernick came from the Mountain West Conference.

    Matt Barkley is not Sanchez, Booty, Leinart, Marinovich, Palmer, etc. He is just Matt Barkley. Projecting whether or not he is a solid pro should have absolutely nothing to do with his school and it's former players.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 03-24-2013 at 08:01 PM.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    IT ONLY TAKES ONE

    How many times must I explain this to so many stuck in first gear?

    Who gives a f*ck about all of these things that you are stating?

    Does ANY of this mean Barkley will not learn how to read defenses? Does any of that mean that the pro game will not slow down for Barkley? Does any of this mean he won't have a good pocket presence?

    No to all of it.

    Like I said already, you can do all of the research you'd like and it still will not make a damn bit of difference. You never know when that franchise QB will come along. It's a risk that every team must take.

    Tom Brady anyone?
    Why does this logic only pertain to Barkley? Why not draft any other QB -- even a Sanchez clone -- since "anything can happen"? Why waste a high draft pick when we can get the next Kurt Warner from Walmart?

    USC has given NO reason to believe what you see on the field will translate to the NFL. Odds are it will some day, but to argue that 2013 is that day is hopeful at best . . .

  17. #57
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The ZONE, Az
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Key word being SELECTED. Just because those other schoolQB's were selected, does that mean they turned out to be great?

    This streak of ineptitude that you talk about is completely irrelevant. They are all individuals. You never know when one QB may have the inner abilities (something that cannot be taught) to become a great QB.

    If it were as easy as avoiding certain schools, I guess everyone would have franchise QB's by now?
    Actually it's not about easy or hard, it is about trends and statistics. The same trends and statistics that we all have been using for years to formulate opinions. If you want to believe that Barkley is going to be the FIRST great QB to come out of USC then you have a right to that opinion because you form it on your personal beliefs. That doesn't however discount the yet to be broken streak of failed QB's from that school. If anything is irrelevant it is other schools since the subject if USC.

    The point is that USC is a high profile school, run a pro-style offense and plays just enough weaklings along the course of a season to pad the QB's stats and get drafted pretty high. The QB's coming out of that school look like they have a better than average chance to be successful but thus far NONE have been better than average..............Not a few, not half, NONE.

    That is what we are all basing our opinions on. Sanchez is just the latest example but really has nothing to do with the conversation other than he played here.

  18. #58
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    With the mentality of this board, we will need to pass on Bridgewater because Brohm and Browning Nagle went to Louisville.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    With the mentality of this board, we will need to pass on Bridgewater because Brohm and Browning Nagle went to Louisville.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    This is so stupid. The stigma that USC and the PAC 12 gets for its QB's is just so ridiculous.

    Jamarcus Russel, Blaine Gabbert, & Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy- Recent SEC QB's, everybody's favorite conference to circlejerk over. Stafford has been pretty good but throwing to Calvin Johnson definitely helps and he hasn't been that consistent. That 09 class has just sucked so far. Cam is another SEC guy who just hasn't been consistent and can still flame out. This conference hasn't had a truly GREAT QB come from it since the Mannings.

    Conference or competition means absolutely nothing if the quarterback is a solid/great prospect. Luck and Rodgers came from the Pac 12. RG3 came from the Big 12 (same as Geno). Kaepernick came from the Mountain West Conference.

    Matt Barkley is not Sanchez, Booty, Leinart, Marinovich, Palmer, etc. He is just Matt Barkley. Projecting whether or not he is a solid pro should have absolutely nothing to do with his school and it's former players.
    Right on

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us