Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bryan thomas mulls retirement.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The best thing that can be said about this player is that when he started, the running game to his side of the field was non existant.

Bryan Thomas over a 10 yr career proved to be the perfect "Set The Edge" type outside Linebacker in a 34 defense. He found his nitche, his coaches realized the type of player he was and when he was allowed to do what he was best at, he excelled.

Only the Fans who have certain expectations for players drafted at certain position with specific measurements would consider this player a bust. If this is indeed the end of his career then i say.

Thanks for your efforts Bryan Thomas.
    Football is about every player doing their jobs correctly. Thomas did his job. He set the edge. Team player. He was solid part of Jets league leading defense and top 10 defense past 4 years. Nice job. See Ya!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Because when he was supposed to rush the qb, he was always locked up at the line. When a running back came by, he just happened to be in position because he couldn't get in the backfield.

We needed a pass rusher and he couldn't do it. He got to the quarterback when John Abraham was wreaking havoc and tying up two or three offensive lineman.

After Abraham left - ineffective.
    The only time Bryan Thomas got a chance to play when John Abraham and Shaun Ellis were the DEs on the jets was when John Abraham was hurt and couldn't play. Bryan Thomas was never a pass rush weapon because he was more worried about not allowing the RB outside the way the RB always got outside because John Abraham was always more interested in Sacks.

There's a reason why Shaun Ellis was drafted before John Abraham and why Ellis also lasted longer with the team that drafted him. One player was a complete DE while the other was a Pass rusher.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    There is enough real non-sense on this site, we don't need people making it up either.

No one called him a bust, in fact most post said he had a solid career.
    Let the knee-jerk "fans" have their histrionics. It's terrible that a fan such as myself had expectations for a 1st round pass rusher to be a.....pass rusher. Next thing you know fans will start crying about how Sanchez hasn't lived up to his draft status/contract/playing time. Oh....wait.

Maybe Sanchez should get another 7 years. Phucking Jets fans.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Go ahead and look at that draft and see what percentage of first round picks had as productive a career as he did. Maybe he wasn't the 15 sack guy that everyone wants, but how many of those are there, plus he was very solid against the run and a steady player that made very few mistakes.

Sure I would have liked Ed Reed too, but 23 teams passed on him as well.
    I was not being Sarcastic, Bryan had an above average career and is a great Jet, far from a bust IMHO

To be fair, he was drafted as the career sack leader from his school so that was the expectation, that is all...

Oh and don't worry that Ed Reed was selected 2 picks later @ 24 the Jets grabbed Jon McGraw in the 2nd and according to the "experts" you never draft a guard or safety in the first round

2002 was a good draft, Bart Scott, James Harrison and Brandon Moore were UDFA's and our new QB was a 4th rounder
    Last edited by Ohio State NY Jets fan; 03-25-2013 at 08:01 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    It's too bad. He was a good teammate.
    I didn't know you were on the Jets?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I thought he retired before the start of last season.
    You have a better memory than I. I thought he retired at some point prior to 2006, then he came back. Then after 2006 I thought he retired again.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    I didn't know you were on the Jets?
    LOLz.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beer through nose
    Lmao

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    I was not being Sarcastic, Bryan had an above average career and is a great Jet, far from a bust IMHO

To be fair, he was drafted as the career sack leader from his school so that was the expectation, that is all...

Oh and don't worry that Ed Reed was selected 2 picks later @ 24 the Jets grabbed Jon McGraw in the 2nd and according to the "experts" you never draft a guard or safety in the first round

2002 was a good draft, Bart Scott, James Harrison and Brandon Moore were UDFA's and our new QB was a 4th rounder
    It just goes to show, for all the focus on the draft, it's to a large degree a crap shoot. I would love to have a GM in here that focuses on more picks as opposed to someone who is trying to land "the guy". The latter oftentimes leaves you with less talent overall and if "the guy" doesn't work out you're really screwed. Unfortunately the Jet's except for a few years under Parcells are always looking for the guy. Hopefully Idzik takes a chapter out of the Patriots draft manual and repairs the mistakes of the Tannenbaum era.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    11 yrs decent career always a team guy and a bust ... or a disappointment sorry but I disagree because he did not get sacks but was very good against the run. and average against the pass when put into the position. What is funny is how the people who call him a disappointment remember reed drafted 2 picks after him but was drafted before him? Being drafted at 22 and being arguably the 9th best player on the list is not a bad thing people
    you can not please everyone esp Jets fans who seem top have teh Knack for fortelling players career. We could draft the next Joe Namath and you people would not be happy
    Lets look shall we
    1 Houston Texans David Carr QB Fresno State
    2 Carolina Panthers Julius Peppers DE North Carolina
    3 Detroit Lions Joey Harrington QB Oregon
    4 Buffalo Bills Mike Williams T Texas
    5 San Diego Chargers Quentin Jammer DB Texas
    6 Kansas City Chiefs Ryan Sims DT North Carolina
    7 Minnesota Vikings Bryant McKinnie T Miami (Fla.)
    8 Dallas Cowboys Roy Williams FS Oklahoma
    9 Jacksonville Jaguars John Henderson DT Tennessee
    10 Cincinnati Bengals Levi Jones T Arizona State
    11 Indianapolis Colts Dwight Freeney DE Syracuse
    12 Arizona Cardinals Wendell Bryant DT Wisconsin
    13 New Orleans Saints Donte' Stallworth WR Tennessee
    14 New York Giants Jeremy Shockey TE Miami (Fla.)
    15 Tennessee Titans Albert Haynesworth DT Tennessee
    16 Cleveland Browns William Green RB Boston College
    17 Oakland Raiders Phillip Buchanon CB Miami (Fla.)
    18 Atlanta Falcons T.J. Duckett RB Michigan State
    19 Denver Broncos Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
    20 Green Bay Packers Javon Walker WR Florida State
    21 New England Patriots Daniel Graham TE Colorado
    22 New York Jets Bryan Thomas DE Alabama-Birmingham

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was drafted higher than he should have been then he was unfairly called a bust by idiotic Jets fans....in the end he ended up having a nice career.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Let the knee-jerk "fans" have their histrionics. It's terrible that a fan such as myself had expectations for a 1st round pass rusher to be a.....pass rusher. Next thing you know fans will start crying about how Sanchez hasn't lived up to his draft status/contract/playing time. Oh....wait.

Maybe Sanchez should get another 7 years. Phucking Jets fans.
    I normally think pretty much all of your stuff is spot on JW. Better than that even and I heartily agree with the above Sanchez reference but I think you may be being a little tough on BT here.

Never great. Rarely even "that" good but have had enough real busts in our recent history to be able to tell the difference.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You sir are a bonafide sh1t stirrer!

I like it

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Lol, well played
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by unchartedm0nkey View Post
    You have a better memory than I. I thought he retired at some point prior to 2006, then he came back. Then after 2006 I thought he retired again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Beer through nose
    Lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    You sir are a bonafide sh1t stirrer!

I like it

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I normally think pretty much all of your stuff is spot on JW. Better than that even and I heartily agree with the above Sanchez reference but I think you may be being a little tough on BT here.

Never great. Rarely even "that" good but have had enough real busts in our recent history to be able to tell the difference.
    Feeling is mutual EM. Truth be told, I appreciated what he brought to the table as a set-the-edge LB, but it's tough to move past that he was drafted as a pass rusher and was a contract year superstar. Other than that, I really didn't have a problem with him. He was an above-average JAG. Good for him on a solid, if unspectacular, career.
    Last edited by Jetworks; 03-28-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: sp.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love how some of you parrots regurgitate this "set the edge" crap like you're NFL coaches. Let's be real, you heard Rex say the phrase once or twice (I've heard him say it, too) and now you're repeating it like it means something.

Bryan Thomas had little to no ability to rush the passer, so he didn't even try to incorporate that facet of the game into his play. He just sat on his side of the field hoping someone might run in his direction. That is "setting the edge" to some on this board. It's a dumb phrase that's used to artificially add value to a player who was average at best.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Only here can a guy play for 11 years and totally suck and still have a starting job.
    BT did not totally suck.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember the year he was drafted. I argued up to the draft that the Jets should target Ed Reed in the draft. The Jets has the 22nd pick and Ed Reed was the best CB in the draft. Reed dropped after 'slow' 40 times and I thught he would be there at 22. The Jets fell in love with Bryan Thomas at the senior Bowl workouts and fell in love with him. Jets took Thomas at 22 and the Ravens took Ed Reed two picks later.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was drafted to play as a 4-3 DE if I recall correctly. What saved him was playing for Eric Mangini his first year in town. Tanny and Mangini noticed that he fit in nicely with the 3-4 the Jets were running. If not for that, I don't believe he would have lasted as long as he did.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    I remember the year he was drafted. I argued up to the draft that the Jets should target Ed Reed in the draft. The Jets has the 22nd pick and Ed Reed was the best CB in the draft. Reed dropped after 'slow' 40 times and I thught he would be there at 22. The Jets fell in love with Bryan Thomas at the senior Bowl workouts and fell in love with him. Jets took Thomas at 22 and the Ravens took Ed Reed two picks later.
    When did Reed play CB college??