Thread: Compensatory picks....apparently they will come in the 2014 draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Compensatory picks....apparently they will come in the 2014 draft.

I was expecting the Jets to get a few compensatory picks in the draft this year with all of the free agent defections we have had, imagine my surprise when I found out we didn't get any.

Apparently, unbeknownst to me, the players that left this off-season will actually be factored into the compensatory picks issued in the 2014 draft. I ran across an article in the NY Post that touched on it. Paragraph from the article and link below:

That could lead to coach Rex Ryan getting fired and quarterback Mark Sanchez getting jettisoned. If the Jets stockpile picks in the 2014 Draft they can draft a quarterback and address the number of other needs they will have. The team should get a few compensatory picks next year after allowing free agents Mike DeVito, Shonn Greeene, LaRon Landry, Dustin Keller and Yeremiah Bell to leave already and more likely to leave.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...j5pB6eZH4HVuBO
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-24-2013 at 05:23 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't get them until the following year, as free agency is still ongoing. Comp picks are awarded based on the net difference between losses and gains, and influenced to a degree by how the players you lose perform for their next team. So they can't be worked out till the following year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers mate