Thread: NFL Network showed a story on Garay

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

NFL Network showed a story on Garay

He seems like a pretty great person. I think he will be a great addition to the d line.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kool!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think 3 of the top 10 biggest waste of time threads in JI history have been posted in the past few days.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post the link please! I can't seem to find it!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    I think 3 of the top 10 biggest waste of time threads in JI history have been posted in the past few days.
    Then maybe you should post in those threads??

I actually want to get more info on Garay as he's a new addition to the team. We are allowed to talk about real Jets related stuff on a Jets forum right

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shut the **** up.

anyways, Fiji... it was part of the NFL Films stuff. Might be hard to find the video.

It showed his bad injury and how he bounced back and what kind of person he is off the field.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    JM Who?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets' Antonio Garay says he feels like a 'young bull' at 33, ready to compete for NT job | NJ.com

Antonio Garay already felt like playing for the Jets was a homecoming.

The Rahway native and former New Jersey state wrestling champion has more than 70 family members still in the area, just a few miles from Florham Park. He was on the Jets practice squad back in 2009 before heading to San Diego.

And if that wasn't enough, things were solidified at the team facility Tuesday morning. Since he didn't have a code to get in, his former Chargers teammate and new neighbor Antonio Cromartie opened the door and said: "What up, fat ass?"

"Everybodyís happy," Garay said on a conference call with reporters this afternoon. "Everyoneís excited. I couldnít wait to jump at the opportunity to come back here and play for the Jets. (I am) just ecstatic (and) excited over here."

Garay, 33, said he'll come in and compete at the nose tackle position, although he can play in multiple fronts.

Despite a string of injuries and the ware that accompanies 10 years in the league, Garay said he's healthy now. He worked out in Florham Park this morning alongside his competition in 2013, Kenrick Ellis.

"Iím feeling good right now," Garay said. "Iíve been over here the last few days working out (and) training. Things are going extremely well. Iím just working on the future, getting ready to gear up, playing to the best of my ability and competing for a starting job over here. Itís on the table for everybody and I think itís great. Iím like a young bull getting ready to go back into the ring."

Garay also provided a scouting report on Antwan Barnes, his teammate in San Diego who also signed with the Jets this offseason.

"(He is) a great pass rusher, a guy that has been undervalued during his career," Garay said. "I think Barnes is going to have a major impact this year for the Jets. I donít think a lot of Jets fans really know him that well, but heís a guy that was in the Baltimore organization, knows this defense, knows how to play this defense and what is expected of him. Heís a beast off the edge, a guy that has a (heck) of a get-off, a guy who is going to create a lot of havoc and create a lot of plays on the defensive side of the ball this year."

Willie Colon was also on a conference call with Garay this afternoon. Like Garay, he's had plenty of injuries -- Achilles' tendon, triceps -- but went through a full workout this morning and feels healthy.

"Iím going to ride it until the wheels come off, honestly," Colon said. "I feel like I have a lot left in the tank. I have a lot of fight in me. Iím a self-motivated guy. Money or other things donít motivate me, but the pure competition of football (does). I just want to be the best at whatever position Iím at and I just want to be a leader, somebody that just has a strong will to compete and win. Thatís what I want to bring to the table."

Colon said he'll be playing with a "big ass chip" on his shoulder after finding out he was released by Pittsburgh. He knew it was coming, calling the Steelers a black-and-white organization that told him he was possibly subject to at least a pay cut at season's end if he wasn't let go.

"Theyíre (Pittsburgh) going through their own transition like any other team in the NFL," Colon said. "They wanted to go younger. They wanted to do what they needed to do. Thatís for their organization and I have no regrets. I have no ill feelings. I do have a big ass chip on my shoulder, but it is what it is."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Post the link please! I can't seem to find it!
    I think this is it

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-...-his-soft-side

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Then maybe you should post in those threads??

I actually want to get more info on Garay as he's a new addition to the team. We are allowed to talk about real Jets related stuff on a Jets forum right
    + 1

I appreciate this info

Thx,

Ljr

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    And if that wasn't enough, things were solidified at the team facility Tuesday morning. Since he didn't have a code to get in, his former Chargers teammate and new neighbor Antonio Cromartie opened the door and said: "What up, fat a$$?"
    Hysterical ... Wonder if he replied to Cro ... "I gotta keep it that way so you don't mistake it for a ladies and try anything!"

Ljr

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he stays healthy, Garay will be the starting NT on this team and will be a difference maker.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    He seems like a pretty great person. I think he will be a great addition to the d line.
    Thanks Tre and Apache.

33?...not a condemnation, but thats a lil long in the toother. Either way, im glad to have him and hope he is motivated to come in and compete.

OT: On the Chargers front, my lifelong Chargers fan says he really thinks Barnes should be a good fit for the Jets. He also relayed information that Garay "sucks", but then again, coming from a Chargers fan........ they still hatin.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgrlica3 View Post
    Thanks man! This season the Jets will be putting a lot more pressure on the qb in passing downs

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Thanks Tre and Apache.

33?...not a condemnation, but thats a lil long in the toother. Either way, im glad to have him and hope he is motivated to come in and compete.

OT: On the Chargers front, my lifelong Chargers fan says he really thinks Barnes should be a good fit for the Jets. He also relayed information that Garay "sucks", but then again, coming from a Chargers fan........ they still hatin.
    Not that it matters, but he is 9 months younger then Sione Pouha was and he is probably a bit cheaper.

I don't see Garay as a full time starter, probably just a rotational guy switching back and forth between NT and DE since he can play either position.

I think Damon Harrison will be Kendrick Ellis's biggest competition in camp.

There is always the potential draft pick or UDFA that could come into the picture too, Like Harrison last off-season.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-26-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I knocked myself unconscious tackling Antonio Garay in Highschool. He played for Rahway and was a huge defensive lineman. He was super athletic so they put him in at RB ala The Fridge when they got near the goaline. I was a LB and he came right at my gap and I was unblocked. Like an idiot I put my head down and the crown of my helmet nailed him (all 275 lbs of him at the time) right in the stomach. It slowed him down enough that he got gang tackled, but I knocked myself out cold and missed the next 3 games.

True story.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uh oh, here come the thread police

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Uh oh, here come the thread police

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched it.....the man has a great deal of character and will be a great addition to the Jets...what I really enjoyed hearing was him saying that FOOTBALL is his total focus right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    showed a personable side to a player and just by that clip I like him already.