Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 105

Thread: Mike Glennon will be a Jet

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mike Glennon will be a Jet

    I know this is not a popular pick for our future QB, but before you simply bash the thought of Glennon, letís look at some things from a clear, unbiased perspective.

    Glennon has prototypical size and arm talent for the Meadowlands. I donít know about you, but Iím tired of QBís who donít measure up physically. Pennington, Clemens, and even Sanchez didnít have the ideal arm talent/strength necessary to succeed. The last Jets QB who could make all the throws (including the deep out) was Vinnie.

    The Giants have their own version of Vinnie in Eli Manning.
    The big power thrower forces teams to cover the entire field. When you have an average/weak armed QB, CBís sit on routes and thatís when you get pick 6ísÖ

    Also donít think for a 2nd that Flacco +Eliís playoff successes are not weighing on teams. Glennon is the closest thing in this draft to those guys.

    Glennon shows maturity off the field. He completed his 4 year degree in Finance and also went to school every summer so he could graduate with a Masters. Dumb guys donít this. Lazy guys donít do this. Driven guys do this.

    Listen to his interviews. The kid has a good head on his shoulders and says heís driven to succeed in the NFL. When Iíve heard Sanchez say this in the past, it always sounded scriptedÖ I never believed it. I believe this kid. I also consider it a bonus that heís not some playboy looking dude who is always on the prowl for the next hot girl to date. Heís like Manning and it more concerned with football than photo shoots.

    He played in a West Coast Offense in college which means the terminology + understanding of the system place him ahead of most of the other QBís in this draft. Thereís no projecting, ďHow does this guy fit a WCO?ĒÖ
    We know he can do it.

    Also our new OC believes in setting up a good short passing game then taking chances down field (vertical passing game - huge chunks on big plays). No other QB in this draft is a better fit for this style of offense.

    Russell Wilson, was no better statistically (including completion %, which people like to harp on Glennon about) in this same offense in college and looks tremendous as a pro.

    Hereís a nice write up of Glennon, watch the videoís tooÖ
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10...se-quarterback

    This kid is pretty much a perfect fit to what the Jets want to do. The Eagles had the same OC and who was the last QB they drafted? Foles.

    Think about itÖ this makes a ton of sense on all levels.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,796
    Post Thanks / Like
    so you think that john idzik, after having a hand in drafting a highly athletic qb who energized the seattle seahawks, is going to stake his gm reputation on the most immobile qb in this draft?

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glennon is not Flacco.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    so you think that john idzik, after having a hand in drafting a highly athletic qb who energized the seattle seahawks, is going to stake his gm reputation on the most immobile qb in this draft?
    I understand thatís the flavor of the week, but show me a highly athletic (running) QB who has won a Superbowl, and/or had a long NFL career?

    There will always be a place for a classic drop back QB with big armÖ these are the guys who usually win the Superbowls, so yes I do think Idzik would be interested in Glennon.

    Heís a very good fit for the Jetís offense.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Glennon is not Flacco.

    Flacco wasnít Flacco either when he got drafted.

    Heck he wasnít considered anything at all until this yearís playoff run.
    I guess you never saw all the threads of Sanchez vs. Flacco in the past 2 years with the majority of this board favoring Sanchez.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glennon sucks and if Idzik takes him higher than the 5th round, I don't think his future at gm will be very bright.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still promoting this guy? Arm talent or not, he is a project pick. He was not a very successful or even very good player at the college level and certainly cannot be expected to come in and start right away. If the Jets want to use a mid-round pick on him and sit him for a couple years and develop him, I would be OK with it. The idea that the Jets would use a high pick on this guy though and start him right away as the QB of the future seems very far-fetched. You must realize that. Glennon's done nothing at the Senior Bowl, combine, or anywhere else since the season ended to distinguish himself as a great prospect. As a result, he may even be available in round 3 and I'd be fine taking him there if that is the case.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Glennon sucks and if Idzik takes him higher than the 5th round, I don't think his future at gm will be very bright.
    5th might be a little harsh but I wouldn't touch the guy before round 3.

  9. #9
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I understand thatís the flavor of the week, but show me a highly athletic (running) QB who has won a Superbowl, and/or had a long NFL career?

    There will always be a place for a classic drop back QB with big armÖ these are the guys who usually win the Superbowls, so yes I do think Idzik would be interested in Glennon.

    Heís a very good fit for the Jetís offense.
    Steve Young was a pretty mobile QB and he did fairly well in the NFL.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,706
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    5th might be a little harsh but I wouldn't touch the guy before round 3.
    If Glennon is there in round 3 and the Jets haven't taken a QB, and they don't take him. That would be bad.

    I'm not high on him either. But a 3rd round flier makes sense.
    Last edited by fidelioion; 03-25-2013 at 03:17 PM.

  11. #11
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I Glennon is there in round 3 and the Jets haven't taken a QB, and they don't take him. That would be bad.

    I'm not high on him either. But a 3rd round flier makes sense.
    I would be fine with taking a chance on him here.

  12. #12
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    654
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I know this is not a popular pick for our future QB, but before you simply bash the thought of Glennon, letís look at some things from a clear, unbiased perspective.

    Glennon has prototypical size and arm talent for the Meadowlands. I donít know about you, but Iím tired of QBís who donít measure up physically. Pennington, Clemens, and even Sanchez didnít have the ideal arm talent/strength necessary to succeed. The last Jets QB who could make all the throws (including the deep out) was Vinnie.

    The Giants have their own version of Vinnie in Eli Manning.
    The big power thrower forces teams to cover the entire field. When you have an average/weak armed QB, CBís sit on routes and thatís when you get pick 6ísÖ

    Also donít think for a 2nd that Flacco +Eliís playoff successes are not weighing on teams. Glennon is the closest thing in this draft to those guys.










    Glennon shows maturity off the field. He completed his 4 year degree in Finance and also went to school every summer so he could graduate with a Masters. Dumb guys donít this. Lazy guys donít do this. Driven guys do this.

    Listen to his interviews. The kid has a good head on his shoulders and says heís driven to succeed in the NFL. When Iíve heard Sanchez say this in the past, it always sounded scriptedÖ I never believed it. I believe this kid. I also consider it a bonus that heís not some playboy looking dude who is always on the prowl for the next hot girl to date. Heís like Manning and it more concerned with football than photo shoots.

    He played in a West Coast Offense in college which means the terminology + understanding of the system place him ahead of most of the other QBís in this draft. Thereís no projecting, ďHow does this guy fit a WCO?ĒÖ
    We know he can do it.

    Also our new OC believes in setting up a good short passing game then taking chances down field (vertical passing game - huge chunks on big plays). No other QB in this draft is a better fit for this style of offense.

    Russell Wilson, was no better statistically (including completion %, which people like to harp on Glennon about) in this same offense in college and looks tremendous as a pro.

    Hereís a nice write up of Glennon, watch the videoís tooÖ
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10...se-quarterback

    This kid is pretty much a perfect fit to what the Jets want to do. The Eagles had the same OC and who was the last QB they drafted? Foles.

    Think about itÖ this makes a ton of sense on all levels.
    You make some great points about glennon. I would like to see the jets pick him up.I think he will go a lot higher than people think. All teams have been pretty quite in regards to glennon. Maybe that is why the jets want a first for revis this year from Tampa. I think he would do great with Marty m, however he might not be around next year if rex goes. Would rather have him than Barkley

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    4th round or pass

  14. #14
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    654
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like him but in the third round

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,384
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a hunch, but I see him getting picked somewhere bottom 1st / top of 2nd. QB's always tend to get over-drafted. I agree if he's there in the 3rd, nab him, but I don't think he'll even be there at our pick in Rd 2.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,656
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Still promoting this guy? Arm talent or not, he is a project pick. He was not a very successful or even very good player at the college level and certainly cannot be expected to come in and start right away. If the Jets want to use a mid-round pick on him and sit him for a couple years and develop him, I would be OK with it. The idea that the Jets would use a high pick on this guy though and start him right away as the QB of the future seems very far-fetched. You must realize that. Glennon's done nothing at the Senior Bowl, combine, or anywhere else since the season ended to distinguish himself as a great prospect. As a result, he may even be available in round 3 and I'd be fine taking him there if that is the case.
    What kind of success can you expect from him, name one guy on offense that he played with last year or this year or will get drafted next year? No one. If he was surrounded by the talent that Barkley or RG3 or Luck had, they guy would never get out of the first. The guy needs work and is not a day one starter but thekid can play. if the jets can get him in the 3rd, they will be sitting preety.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,656
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kcb160 View Post
    Steve Young was a pretty mobile QB and he did fairly well in the NFL.
    And so was Randal Cunningham, but most of these guys last as long as rb.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,482
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a guy with arm talent and pretty raw why not go with Bray? He is way better than Glennon if you ask me. As far as upside for a flier pick, he's gotta be the choice. Never get the love for Glennon over a guy like Bray.

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    E'Ville
    Posts
    1,241
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Flacco wasnít Flacco either when he got drafted.

    Heck he wasnít considered anything at all until this yearís playoff run.
    I guess you never saw all the threads of Sanchez vs. Flacco in the past 2 years with the majority of this board favoring Sanchez.
    When people make the Glennon = Flacco comparison, they leave out out one glaring point: Glennon has ZERO foot speed compared to Flacco.

    We can all compare the arm strength and height -- fine -- but Flacco has underrated athleticism. Glennon will get eaten alive unless we have an excellent pass protecting line.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What kind of success can you expect from him, name one guy on offense that he played with last year or this year or will get drafted next year? No one. If he was surrounded by the talent that Barkley or RG3 or Luck had, they guy would never get out of the first. The guy needs work and is not a day one starter but thekid can play. if the jets can get him in the 3rd, they will be sitting preety.
    Elite college QBs can rise above a mediocre supporting cast. RG3 was playing at Baylor, yes, other guys got drafted that he played with, but that program was nothing before him. Luck totally turned the Stanford program into a title contender as well. You take Mike Glennon and put him on Baylor or Stanford, and those teams are not national teams. Sorry, he isn't that type of player that can elevate a downtrodden program. He proved that at NC State.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us