Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Does anyone do Crossfit?

Not my thing.....I play full court basketball 3 days a week and lift 3 days a week and that's good enough for me

I feel like crossfit has some good ideas but it's like a cult and the people that do it get sucked in

One of my friends definitely got in shape because of crossfit but his life revolves around his workouts, it's sad to see and we rip him up

I've been crossfitting for almost two years and I've seen tremendous improvement in my strength and overall athletic ability. All workouts are scaleable. You want to push yourself but don't risk injury by going too heavy. I am 29, 5'9" and I weigh 165lbs. I have lost a little over 15 lbs in the last year by going at least 3x a week. Crossfit has been around for years but has in the past five really started to take off in popularity. It isn't going away.

Used to do this, and I got paid for it. I called it "work".

All League
    Mrs. Crossfit probably does.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Dont know much about it other than this;

They have it in the basement of my gym. Full of hot sweaty chicks throwing stuff around and grunting.

I'm upstairs with two guys with goiters.

-
    LOL

Yeah, The Box that I do my WOD's in ( Crossfit speak) have MANY VERY HOT CHICKS..

Why nobody know to start thread right no more? Give information to the people, please. Tank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXGJ1M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLFunBPgPOo

Quote Originally Posted by NxYxJets View Post
    I've been crossfitting for almost two years and I've seen tremendous improvement in my strength and overall athletic ability. All workouts are scaleable. You want to push yourself but don't risk injury by going too heavy. I am 29, 5'9" and I weigh 165lbs. I have lost a little over 15 lbs in the last year by going at least 3x a week. Crossfit has been around for years but has in the past five really started to take off in popularity. It isn't going away.
    I agree it's not going away. I've been lifting for 30+ years. In my 30's, I was a competitive bodybuilder.

Crossfit is by far the best, most intense, most complete workout I've ever done. I'm only 2 months in and i'm seeing fantastic results that I never thought I would.could see in my 50's.

It is addictive though!!

Jets Insider VIP
    crossfire does, based on his username

Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    I agree it's not going away. I've been lifting for 30+ years. In my 30's, I was a competitive bodybuilder.

Crossfit is by far the best, most intense, most complete workout I've ever done. I'm only 2 months in and i'm seeing fantastic results that I never thought I would.could see in my 50's.

It is addictive though!!
    That's because body builders have a different view of their exercises. The guy I bought supplements from used to see me running on the treadmill or playing basketball 3 or 4 times a week and then he'd tell me I was going "too hard" and burning my muscle gains. I'd rather be athletic than massed. I believe in total body workouts, the traditional exercises (pull ups, dips, etc...), and cardio/sport training where you'll be doing some sort of sprinting.

That said, I haven't been in the gym in a long time. I'm about to join up myself.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    That's because body builders have a different view of their exercises. The guy I bought supplements from used to see me running on the treadmill or playing basketball 3 or 4 times a week and then he'd tell me I was going "too hard" and burning my muscle gains. I'd rather be athletic than massed. I believe in total body workouts, the traditional exercises (pull ups, dips, etc...), and cardio/sport training where you'll be doing some sort of sprinting.
    you're starting to come across as a young Cliff Clavin.

just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post

That said, I haven't been in the gym in a long time. I'm about to join up myself.
    I only bodybuilt for a few years. I've done everything from soup to nuts ( swimming, running, rowing, lifting, Nautilus, personal trainers etc., etc.) and Crossfit is by far the best workout I've ever done.

Try Crossfit!!

I only bodybuilt for a few years. I've done everything from soup to nuts ( swimming, running, rowing, lifting, Nautilus, personal trainers etc., etc.) and Crossfit is by far the best workout I've ever done.

Try Crossfit!!
    Fair enough. I know a lot of people that dig it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Mrs. Crossfit probably does.
    damn! sick minds think alike. apparently, you're a little quicker on the draw.

(and if that sounds like a premature ejaculator joke, it prolly is )

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    damn! sick minds think alike. apparently, you're a little quicker on the draw.

(and if that sounds like a premature ejaculator joke, it prolly is )
    Thank you. Thought I was wasting yet another joke in this place.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Thank you. Thought I was wasting yet another joke in this place.
    meh, don't mind the riff-raff. a pet with a funny hat does it for them. some of use are more cerebral and whatnot.

Just finished one today.

100 straight bar snatched (10 x 10)
    100 kettlebell snatches (10 x 10)
    100 kettlebell swings (10 x 10)

Not exactly cross fit, but I like to make **** up so I don't get bored.

So 1 set is cycling through all 3 once.

Straight bar: 95 lb
    Kettlebell for snatches: 53 lb
    Kettlebell for swings: 70 lb

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Just finished one today.

100 straight bar snatched (10 x 10)
    100 kettlebell snatches (10 x 10)
    100 kettlebell swings (10 x 10)

Not exactly cross fit, but I like to make **** up so I don't get bored.

So 1 set is cycling through all 3 once.

Straight bar: 95 lb
    Kettlebell for snatches: 53 lb
    Kettlebell for swings: 70 lb

Try This. I did it yesterday:

For Time

40 thrusters @ 115
    50 CTB pull ups ( aided, in my case)
    60 burpees
    Last edited by ctjetfan; 03-26-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Try This. I did it yesterday:

For Time

40 thrusters @ 115
    50 CTB pull ups ( aided, in my case)
    60 burpees
    You got it. Will give a report after I throw up.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    You got it. Will give a report after I throw up.
    Yeah, The burpees suck!!!

This mornings WOD was easier.

20-minute AMRAP ( as many reps as possible)

10 jumping pullups ( standing on a box and jumping slightly to aid in the pullup)
    20 Jump rope singles
    200 meter run

I did 8 rounds. My Jump rope sucks, and I'll probably never get a double under!!

Hall Of Fame
    Crossfit changed my life. Started a year ago at 39 and just turned 40, finished my Level I training certification and have started a very successful Crossfit clothing brand www.thewodgod.com

Theres so much misinformation about Crossfit out there, mostly from traditional exercisers that realize that non functional movement training is antiquated and not nearly as effective for improving fitness. Yes, people get hurt by using poor technique and improper scaling of exercises, just as they do in any other sport. All sports have risks, but teh percentage of injuries is relatively compared to what some people's perceptions are.

As far as this sport being a fad, also thoughts from people taht dont understand or have never experienced what Crossfit is, within ten years it will be comparable to the Olympics, mark that down