Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possibilities at no. 9

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    If Star is there at 9 you have to take him. He's going to be BPA and he's a Haloti Ngata clone (I was screaming for Ngata in the '06 draft).

Too many DL? AWWW. Go 4-3 D and copy the Giants blueprint which is to win in the trenches. Can't be a bad philosphy they own Brady and won 2 SB's since 2007.
    I agree. You win up front.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    Will be interesting to see how First 8 picks pan out... and who is sitting at no. 9.......

Both OT's Joeckel and Fisher are gone in Top 5
    Shariff floyd in gone by pick no. 3...
    Dee Milner off the board by pick no. 5
    Geno Smith won't get by pick 7 or 8

So that leave 3 more picks prior to Jet's seleciton @ no. 9

Potential options
    Dion Jordan - emergency as top Pass Rusher in draft
    Zigggy Ansah - Athletic Freak - JPP like... very very raw
    Star Lotulelei - heart condition.....
    Jarvis Jones - poor workout..

Womack & Cooper are Top OG--- with extremely high grades..

Would Jump on Jordan or Jones...
    NO! NO! NO! on Jarvis "Molasses" Jones, slower than Jumbo Elliot, yeah, a "beast" in college, but the NFL aint college, fair shot he's out of NFL in 5 years (inherent spine/back
    issues), HIGH risk pick for new regime, Belliceck will render/scheme him useless....NO! NO!NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    ha that's crazy talk, fire him because he picks a sure thing guard when everyone else at 9 will have question marks.. everyone takes time to develop, especially pass rushers. Warmack instantly starts and will be opening holes inside and pulling outside, something we haven't had a guard be able to do well since fanaca. I agree in most years guard is late first or later pick. But this guy is a beast and guards like him don't come around every year. There is not much top 10 talent this year, that's why a great guard will fall so low..
    Sorry but he's no sure thing.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    As a football fan overall, part of me would like to see the insanity of a 3-4 DL featuring Wilk-Star-Coples. But more from a imagine that standpoint. I think at this point it might be diminishing returns. Esp with Ellis as a possible unknown in the middle. The increase in defensive production from picking up a Jarvis Jones would be a lot more than getting Star IMHO.
    You're right on both accounts. Either has its allure.

This "we spent too much on our dline" tho is nonsense. It was, and is necessary. We cut pouha, devito, Thomas, pace...

Under the new CBA agreement unused cap room under the cap in 2013 can be applied to 2014's cap. This a lost year. The Jets will have 123 million in next years cap + 20 million or more in cap space that can be applied to the 2014 cap. Last year the Bronocs had 23 million in 2011 unused cap room they applied to the 2012 cap which enabled then to sign Peyton Manning to a 19 million dollar contract.

It's imperative to trade Revis to the Bucs for a 2104 first and second round pick as has been proposed. If the Jets can get two first round picks and two second round picks plus a slew of comp picks they will get after this years salary dump, they will be in great position for 2014 darft and free agency period.

They don't need an first year impact player and I would address the enormous lack of skill player needs and select WR Cordarrelle Patterson, who is very green, who will pick up valuable experience in his rookie year.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013WR.php
    Last edited by rajensen088; 03-26-2013 at 03:36 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post

They don't need an first yea impact player and I would address the skill player needs and select WR Cordarrelle Patterson who will pick up valuable experience in his rookie year.
    Right theory, wrong player/pick. Not at 9.

Under the new CBA agreement unused cap room under the cap in 2013 can be applied to 2014's cap. This a lost year. The Jets will have 123 million in next years cap + 20 million or more in cap space that can be applied to the 2014 cap. Last year the Bronocs had 23 million in 2011 unused cap room they applied to the 2012 cap which enabled then to sign Peyton Manning to a 19 million dollar contract.

It's imperative to trade Revis to the Bucs for a 2104 first and second round pick as has been proposed. If the Jets can get two first round picks and two second round picks plus a slew of comp picks they will get after this years salary dump, they will be in great position for 2014 darft and free agency period.

They don't need an first year impact player and I would address the enormous lack of skill player needs and select WR Cordarrelle Patterson, who is very green, who will pick up valuable experience in his rookie year.

Considering our staff's complete inability to develop offensive skill players, Patterson is the LAST guy I want us to draft at #9.

A guy I'm really warming up to at #9 is...

Tyler Eifert.

Especially if we want to go the offensive player route. He's the only offensive skill position player worth a top 10 pick. He's massive, he can high point the ball incredibly well (meaning we can throw to him even when he's "covered"), and he has the ability to be an excellent dual threat tight end. His blocking isn't completely refined yet, but he's not too shabby at it right now. He can become a pretty scary red zone threat simply because of his ball skills.

Line him up in-line, put him the the slot, split him out wide...we can do any of those things. He's a matchup nightmare and he also doesn't tip our offense's hand when he's in the game due to his aforementioned well-roundedness.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    If Star is there at 9 you have to take him. He's going to be BPA and he's a Haloti Ngata clone (I was screaming for Ngata in the '06 draft).

Too many DL? AWWW. Go 4-3 D and copy the Giants blueprint which is to win in the trenches. Can't be a bad philosphy they own Brady and won 2 SB's since 2007.
    With what defensive ends. Coples is NOT a great 4-3 DE, he dominated as a 3-tech in the 4-3. He then was middle of the road when pushed out to DE his senior year. Also who is our Mike LB? Davis is probably the Will and Harris is the SAM I guess.

Basically the only two spots in a 4-3 that would have guys playing their natural spots might be Wilk and Star in the middle. And at that point you are basically settling on Ellis being a backup/rotation player.

With what defensive ends. Coples is NOT a great 4-3 DE, he dominated as a 3-tech in the 4-3. He then was middle of the road when pushed out to DE his senior year. Also who is our Mike LB? Davis is probably the Will and Harris is the SAM I guess.

Basically the only two spots in a 4-3 that would have guys playing their natural spots might be Wilk and Star in the middle. And at that point you are basically settling on Ellis being a backup/rotation player.
    +1

Though at this point of his career, I don't think we can bank on Ellis being any more than a rotational lineman. This year is really his make-or-break season. He'll either develop into a starter or stagnate. For the record, I like Ellis.

I don't know how many times you and I can say this, but Coples is at his best matched up against guards. He can split out wide some of the time due to sheer versatility, but you're really inhibiting his strengths by sticking him out at DE full-time. This notion has been corroborated by Tony, who has closely watched Coples's college tape more than anyone here (including me, who is a UNC alum that watched all of his games).

Everyone seems to love the 4-3, but the thing they're forgetting is that you need the personnel to run that full time. Even if we pick up Star, we don't have the proper personnel to run that as a base set. Besides, versatility is key in today's NFL. Unless you have a plethora of edge rushing studs, running a vanilla 4-3 is not the way to go.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post

Tyler Eifert.

Especially if we want to go the offensive player route. He's the only offensive skill position player worth a top 10 pick. He's massive, he can high point the ball incredibly well (meaning we can throw to him even when he's "covered"), and he has the ability to be an excellent dual threat tight end. His blocking isn't completely refined yet, but he's not too shabby at it right now. He can become a pretty scary red zone threat simply because of his ball skills.

Line him up in-line, put him the the slot, split him out wide...we can do any of those things. He's a matchup nightmare and he also doesn't tip our offense's hand when he's in the game due to his aforementioned well-roundedness.
    Amen.

+1

Though at this point of his career, I don't think we can bank on Ellis being any more than a rotational lineman. This year is really his make-or-break season. He'll either develop into a starter or stagnate. For the record, I like Ellis.

I don't know how many times you and I can say this, but Coples is at his best matched up against guards. He can split out wide some of the time due to sheer versatility, but you're really inhibiting his strengths by sticking him out at DE full-time. This notion has been corroborated by Tony, who has closely watched Coples's college tape more than anyone here (including me, who is a UNC alum that watched all of his games).

Everyone seems to love the 4-3, but the thing they're forgetting is that you need the personnel to run that full time. Even if we pick up Star, we don't have the proper personnel to run that as a base set. Besides, versatility is key in today's NFL. Unless you have a plethora of edge rushing studs, running a vanilla 4-3 is not the way to go.
    Agreed I just think it might be prudent to see what we have at DL, where at the very least we have some raw talent v. OLB where we really have almost nothing to work with. There is no Ellis equivalent even sitting there. But for the record would not HATE taking Star at 9. Definitely a talent and you can't go wrong drafting talent

What? There is a cap floor of 90% now. The most we would be able to carry over next year is like 10mil but it will likely be less then 3. We barely have enough cap room to trade Revis and still fill the roster much less carry over 20 mil to next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    What? There is a cap floor of 90% now. The most we would be able to carry over next year is like 10mil but it will likely be less then 3. We barely have enough cap room to trade Revis and still fill the roster much less carry over 20 mil to next year.
    It won't be 20 mill for sure, but we have 12 million in cap space counting the rookie pool as per overthecap.com (Jason's new site)

But Patterson would not be a good pick in general. Many better prospects with similar if not more upside.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Amen.
    I like the idea of a large athletic TE
    If Holmes can get back, we actually are set with WRs, even at backup if White gets a chance.
    Since this draft is so deep, the real value for the Jets will be the 2nd round.
    In every mock draft I've seen, there are some really good players sitting there.
    With a 2 real rebuild, you want to shore up an important position & TE has become a very important position over the last 2 years.
    Where would Atlanta had been without Tony?
    Look what happens to the Pats when the TEs are hurt.
    Brees loves Graham

As a football fan overall, part of me would like to see the insanity of a 3-4 DL featuring Wilk-Star-Coples. But more from a imagine that standpoint. I think at this point it might be diminishing returns. Esp with Ellis as a possible unknown in the middle. The increase in defensive production from picking up a Jarvis Jones would be a lot more than getting Star IMHO.
    Yes there would be a much more overall improvement to the D adding Jarvis Jones (we are starved for pass rushers) than with adding Star to the line. Ellis is pretty explosive in his own right and already has experience in the system

Talking OL TO BE IMPROVED..?

Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    Will be interesting to see how First 8 picks pan out... and who is sitting at no. 9.......

Both OT's Joeckel and Fisher are gone in Top 5
    Shariff floyd in gone by pick no. 3...
    Dee Milner off the board by pick no. 5
    Geno Smith won't get by pick 7 or 8

So that leave 3 more picks prior to Jet's seleciton @ no. 9

Potential options
    Dion Jordan - emergency as top Pass Rusher in draft
    Zigggy Ansah - Athletic Freak - JPP like... very very raw
    Star Lotulelei - heart condition.....
    Jarvis Jones - poor workout..

Womack & Cooper are Top OG--- with extremely high grades..

Would Jump on Jordan or Jones...
    ==John Butchko: "The run on edge rushers makes this pick surprisingly easy for the Jets. Some might say that it is a bad idea to take a guard in the Top 10, but they would not say that if prospects like Warmack were more common. Warmack makes sense here for the Jets on every level.

"The biggest hole the Jets currently have is not at a particular position. It is the lack of a functional offense. There was nothing the Jets could do consistently well in 2012. Putting Warmack at guard on an offensive line with D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Willie Colon, Nick Mangold and Austin Howard gives the Jets an offensive line that will blow people off the ball in the run game. The Jets will have come close to recreating the dominant run blocking line that was such a key part in the team’s success in 2009 and 2010. The Jets can base their offense on the run game, which will help make life easier on whichever unremarkable quarterback starts. With both starting guards likely leaving in free agency, Warmack’s presence keeps 2010 second-round bust Vladimir Ducasse out of the starting lineup. The word "turnstile" best describes Ducasse’s play to this point.

Tyler Eifert.

If we picked a TE at 9 I would be buying a new tv the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    ==John Butchko: "The run on edge rushers makes this pick surprisingly easy for the Jets. Some might say that it is a bad idea to take a guard in the Top 10, but they would not say that if prospects like Warmack were more common. Warmack makes sense here for the Jets on every level.

"The biggest hole the Jets currently have is not at a particular position. It is the lack of a functional offense. There was nothing the Jets could do consistently well in 2012. Putting Warmack at guard on an offensive line with D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Willie Colon, Nick Mangold and Austin Howard gives the Jets an offensive line that will blow people off the ball in the run game. The Jets will have come close to recreating the dominant run blocking line that was such a key part in the team’s success in 2009 and 2010. The Jets can base their offense on the run game, which will help make life easier on whichever unremarkable quarterback starts. With both starting guards likely leaving in free agency, Warmack’s presence keeps 2010 second-round bust Vladimir Ducasse out of the starting lineup. The word "turnstile" best describes Ducasse’s play to this point.
    the whole notion "cant pick a guard in top 10 ever" is stupid, especially in warmack's case. In a year there Is not going to be much difference in performance from the #9,10,11 picks than say the 20,21,22 picks. Warmack busts big holes up the middle, goes to the next level of defense well, pulls well and does a good job in pass protection. People argument of can find a guard just as good in later rounds Is nonsense. You "could" find a good guard in the later rounds, or you could find a bust like ducasse.

That's exactly what Ellis is. He's a mediocre NT and could end up being a decent 4-3 DT. Coples wasn't middle of the road as a DE he had 7.5 sacks that season while supposedly taking off entire games in college because he wanted to preserve his health. 4-3 linebackers are easy to draft you can get them in the middle rounds of the draft where guys like Khaseem Greene and Kevin Reddick will be available and are pretty safe picks.

Look at the teams that beat Cindy and the Pasts. Giants and Ravens. They both have great D-lines that get push up front thanks to beasts like Ngata and JPP.

If the Jets pass on Star who is a sure thing and a beast to go after a far riskier OLB I'm gonna sh*t.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 03-28-2013 at 12:21 AM.