Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WCQ - USA/Mexico

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Refreshing to see some players at D.

Beasley playing out of position and Mexico rightfully tried to exploit him. He got beat like a drum but ill give him credit for gritting it out.

Gonna need Donovan back for a decent run in the cup. Hope he gets his head right.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great game. Great gameplan.

I would have liked to take it to them but let's be honest, playing Mexico in The Azteca then you'd be asking for serious trouble if you went on the attack. You can't leave that backline out to dry in this situation. There's so little experience there that you almost had to play for a nil-nil here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Refreshing to see some players at D.

Beasley playing out of position and Mexico rightfully tried to exploit him. He got beat like a drum but ill give him credit for gritting it out.

Gonna need Donovan back for a decent run in the cup. Hope he gets his head right.
    This is what was missing from the USMNT recently. Grit. They got it back! As long as they have the grit and relentless defending spirit, they can compete.

It seemed that Donovan is missed mostly on set pieces. Gomez botched 2 set pieces badly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Ummmm... You missed the first 30 minutes. It was probably 60-40 for the game. Most of Mexicos possession was the first 30 mins and the last 10
    Really? For the entire second half it seemed like Mexico was in our half of the field. I think it was an amazing effort to hold them scoreless but the US was clearly on its heals in the second half watching the Mexicans set up offense, generate corner kicks, etc. Just my subjective observation.

EDIT: And here's the commentary I'm seeing after the game...

Yes, Mexico dominated the ball, and yes, they were denied a clear penalty in the second half.
    So the only pragmatic thing [for the US] to do was stay deep and defend, try to hit on the counter and hope to get a set piece.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ng-made-azteca

Brad Guzan swatted away shot after shot and the Americans hung on for a 0-0 draw with Mexico on Tuesday night
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-draw/2023737/

But again, it was a great effort and getting out of Azteca with a draw is a moral victory in my opinion.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 03-27-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great result for the national team.

Some quick thoughts.

Great defending by Gonzalez, Cameron, and Besler
    Very impressed with all of them especially Gonzalez and Besler.

Beasley got exposed badly down his side all night. Obviously the yellow early
    did him no favors especially going against someone as potent as Aquino.
    I'll give him a pass though as left back isn't his natural position and he did play a bit better the second half.

Dempsey had no impact on the game at all tonight.

Edu had some solid defending but he took one too many touches on a couple of occasions which led to him getting caught in possession.

I feel perfectly fine with Guzan in goal which is a testament to him because I love Howard. If Howard would to ever be out again I will feel fine with Guzan taking the reigns.

Altidore had some solid build up play and has learned to play with his back facing the goal much better.

Bradley is officially the best/most important player on the team. He always puts in work defensively and is a calming influence whenever he has the ball at his feet.

Last thought: WTF is Mexico doing squandering all these chances? You never see a team especially one as talented as them play so poorly offensively. This draw along with their other lackluster results recently will surely have the media asking for some kind of change.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very happy with the draw. Central D was very good. As Darke said, Gonzalez may have been the man of the match for our side and hats off to Besler for that performance with so little experience. Beasley makes you hold your breath, but he was very gritty and gave everything he had. I was very surprised to see Altidore subbed out and subbed out so early. I thought he'd get peppered with more shots, but I'm very confident with Guzan in net. He's battle tested and used to being under fire at Aston Villa. Overall, very encouraging and satisfying 5 days. Now if only Donovan could stop being a little *****.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dvl7 View Post

Some quick thoughts.

I'll give him a pass though as left back isn't his natural position and he did play a bit better the second half.

Edu had some solid defending but he took one too many touches on a couple of occasions which led to him getting caught in possession.

I feel perfectly fine with Guzan in goal which is a testament to him because I love Howard. If Howard would to ever be out again I will feel fine with Guzan taking the reigns.

Altidore had some solid build up play and has learned to play with his back facing the goal much better.

Bradley is officially the best/most important player on the team. He always puts in work defensively and is a calming influence whenever he has the ball at his feet.

Last thought: WTF is Mexico doing squandering all these chances? You never see a team especially one as talented as them play so poorly offensively. This draw along with their other lackluster results recently will surely have the media asking for some kind of change.
    With the amount of possession they had in the US's third of the field I'd expect them to get more quality shots on goal than they generated. It could be more of a compliment to the level of defense we played tonight and how it frustrated Mexico, but I was surprised to see so few quality shots on goal generated for the amount of time they were building up and setting up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dvl7 View Post

Some quick thoughts.

Wasn't too thrilled with Edu tonight. For the reasons you mentioned and he got caught staring at the play big time on Chicarito's miss late in the game off a corner.

Agreed on Altidore. Thought he played great on Friday, as well, which made me scratch my head even more when he was subbed out so early.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Overall, you have to be pleased with the result.....The 1 point is big

I almost always hate playing that heavy defensive style where you have to pray for a fluke or set piece goal but I get it in this situation.....Even so, if it weren't for luck and a missed call or 2 we might all be questioning the gameplan more

All things considered, the defense/Guzan played great

Going forward, I hope we get Donovan back and team up Altidore with another striker.....But I guess the formation will depend on opponent and situation