Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mother of all mock drafts...

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Come on dude are you serious? I watch just as much college football as anyone around here, but the draft is a crap shoot, yes there are examples of players who time slow and go on to have outstanding careers, but you are raising flags with my prospects when the fact is I can do the same with yours. Patterson is an exciting playmaker, we need those around here and Wilson is a gamer and Sanchez needs as much competition as he can get. I agree about the trenches that's why Long is my pick in the third round.
    We need a QB and then playmakers will be less of an issue. If you want Wilson grab in the 3rd or 4th. Cause there is a solid chance he will be there. As for Patterson I have never understood the hype with this guy. He is really raw and very athletic. He also has had some issues with drops. Sound like someone? Stephen Hill comes to mind.

All Pro
    Come on dude are you serious? I watch just as much college football as anyone around here, but the draft is a crap shoot, yes there are examples of players who time slow and go on to have outstanding careers, but you are raising flags with my prospects when the fact is I can do the same with yours. Patterson is an exciting playmaker, we need those around here and Wilson is a gamer and Sanchez needs as much competition as he can get. I agree about the trenches that's why Long is my pick in the third round.
    I've been around this circle enough times throughout the threads, so I won't beat the poor dead horsey... The draft is a crapshoot, yes. Talent is the variable that we gamble on. Patterson is " "talent" is all based on his upside and ceiling - but if you watched him as much as you suggest you have - then you saw how his production came about. He is going to struggle against NFL corners. You can't run inside slants and backfield shimmy shags all day in pros. He has A LOT of developing ahead of him.

By the way Paradis, how can you go DE in round 2 with all the needs we have? Hunt is not even BAP at that point, he will sit all year behind Wilk and Coples if that's the case. Not sure I understand that pick. Love Jones, just not at 9.
    I can respect not wanting Jones at 9... but this fear of buying a DE is something we should talk about... WHO exactly do we have on the d-line? Forget that we spend our last 2 picks on Mo and Coples...

- DE -
    96 M. Wilkerson
    98 Q. Coples
    - NT -
    91 S. Pouha - gone
    93 K. Ellis - who knows
    71 D. Harrison - pfff
    - DE -
    70 M. DeVito - gone

It's a god damn empty cupboard!!

We've got 2 DEs in our 30 front, and 2 DTs in our 40.... and a dude named Ellis.

"Why Hunt?" ...cause we need prospect, and I'm intrigued by his upside and versatility. I feel confident about him as 40 DE and and I actually feel better about him see reps at OLB than Ansah for example. It's a stretch, but at least i think he's already at his playing weight of 275. Ansah's going to inflate to 285+ in the pros
    Last edited by Paradis; 03-26-2013 at 06:38 PM.

All Pro
    I know I'm getting carried away here, but watch this game. From the 2nd quarter on - he kills it. There's a certain natural tenacity, motor, and awareness of the play that I feel good about. He's shedding blocks, he doesn't look lost, he works the edge... Keep in mind, I see d-line work as a rotational position. Gotta have lots of bodies man...

Any way we can get pressure, I'm game... To me it was a value pick given that we'd taken an OLB & OG in my mock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNUN-Sqj_Y
    Last edited by Paradis; 03-26-2013 at 07:10 PM.

This may sound a little silly, but there's something that really irks me about taking a guy relatively high who will be 26 by the time Training Camp rolls around. Makes me wonder if he'll get any stronger. Furthermore, at that age it makes it more unlikely he'd see a second contract (operating under the assumption we have a sound front office in place). Guy will be 29 going on 30 when his rookie contract expires.

I know all prospects have flaws, especially as you go further in the draft, but I just don't like the feeling of taking Hunt in the 2nd. I would rather have a Datone Jones or Alex Okafor type if we're going that route.

All Pro
    Ya his age is certainly part of the reason why he ain't in tier 1 - and our selection near the top of the 2nd makes him an unlikely choice. I'm disagreeing with any of that.

I like him enough to be on my board though. I mean really, getting 5 productive years out of someone seems in itself to be feat, I don't really care what happens to him in his 30s.

Jets haven't had a problem finding 3-4 ends from the UDFA ranks: DeVito, Pitoitua, Schaefering, Dixon which we stole from Dallas. We can fill our depth with some UDF's and late cuts. Hate to spend a second rounder on a guy who will most likely become a career backup behind Wilk and Coples, and please don't tell me he can beat either one if those guts cause it ain't happening.

All Pro
    Jets haven't had a problem finding 3-4 ends from the UDFA ranks: DeVito, Pitoitua, Schaefering, Dixon which we stole from Dallas. We can fill our depth with some UDF's and late cuts. Hate to spend a second rounder on a guy who will most likely become a career backup behind Wilk and Coples, and please don't tell me he can beat either one if those guts cause it ain't happening.
    There's no such thing as career backups on the dline. Everyone sees the field. Better players means more rotation, means less gassing out, means more big plays in the 4th quarter, means you're wrong.

This draft is AWFUL. You can't be serious...

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    There's no such thing as career backups on the dline. Everyone sees the field. Better players means more rotation, means less gassing out, means more big plays in the 4th quarter, means you're wrong.

You talk as if we have no more pressing need than DE, sure it would be nice to have not three but 5 DE's to rotate. The realities of the NFL are apparently lost on you though, it would be a luxury at this point to go again with a DE three years in a row and ignore other aspects of this team. But I forgot that you were the one obssesed with Pettigrew at all costs in the first round after we had spent a first on a TE the year before. I knew Pettigrew was nothing special and certainly not worthy of a first rounder, but I'm supposed to take draft tips from you. I've forgotten more "draft" than you will ever know. Tell Gato I say hi.

Of all the Jets weaknesses, skilled WR's may be the most critical need to address. I'd welcome the Patterson pick, he's raw but would benefit from a Jets transitional year.

The Rams at 16 and the Steelers at 17 are in desperate need of WR's with most mock drafts having the Rams and Steelers selecting either WR Cordarelle Patterson or WR Tavon Austin with their first round picks. I could see the Jets in a bidding war with the Rams and Steelers moving from 9 to 16 or 17 and picking up another 2nd round pick.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts
    Last edited by rajensen088; 03-27-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    Of all the Jets weaknesses, skilled WR's may be the most critical need to address. I'd welcome the Patterson pick, he's raw but would benefit from a Jets transitional year.

The Rams at 16 and the Steelers at 17 are in desperate need of WR's with most mock drafts having the Rams and Steelers selecting either WR Cordarelle Patterson or WR Tavon Austin with their first round picks. I could see the Jets in a bidding war with the Rams and Steelers moving from 9 to 16 or 17 and picking up another 2nd round pick.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts
    I like a number of WR in this draft but I have a bad feeling about Patterson. Just 1st impressions but he came across as a step away from your average ultra diva WR in his path to the draft piece.

All Pro
    You talk as if we have no more pressing need than DE, sure it would be nice to have not three but 5 DE's to rotate. The realities of the NFL are apparently lost on you though, it would be a luxury at this point to go again with a DE three years in a row and ignore other aspects of this team. But I forgot that you were the one obssesed with Pettigrew at all costs in the first round after we had spent a first on a TE the year before. I knew Pettigrew was nothing special and certainly not worthy of a first rounder, but I'm supposed to take draft tips from you. I've forgotten more "draft" than you will ever know. Tell Gato I say hi.
    So glad we took Sanchez instead of the a$s-kicking Pettigrew

Since when did this turn into a sh*t-slinging match? I told you your draft was weak (which is true, just about everyone here agrees), your criticisms of my selections were based on superfluous "we've spend X picks on X" type rational. Doesn't change our 2013 roster which is defensively depleted.

So have kit-kat man. Don't wreck yo' self. ....Where is gato btw - i love that guy...

All Pro
    You talk as if we have no more pressing need than DE, sure it would be nice to have not three but 5 DE's to rotate. The realities of the NFL are apparently lost on you though, it would be a luxury at this point to go again with a DE three years in a row and ignore other aspects of this team.
    The realities ARE apparently lost on me...

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Already has workout scheduled with Margus Hunt RT @calvinwatkins: Plenty of scouts at SMU pro day including #Jets coach Rex Ryan.
    that's fresh off the press this morning...

Hall Of Fame
    The realities ARE apparently lost on me...

that's fresh off the press this morning...
    Add this to the Hunt conversation:

Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins
    SMU margus hunt said he was surprised he was being worked at OLB by Rex Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post

Rex did the same with Coples.

All Pro

Perfect. Love it....

I know this is kind of juvenile of me Slikmo, but--

"Why Hunt?" ...cause we need prospect, and I'm intrigued by his upside and versatility. I feel confident about him as 40 DE and and I actually feel better about him see reps at OLB than Ansah for example. It's a stretch, but at least i think he's already at his playing weight of 275. Ansah's going to inflate to 285+ in the pros
    I'm not saying he's answer to everything under the sun, only that there's a lot of upside and a lot of production on tape that translates to the majors... I feel good knowing Rex & Co. are doing their homework.

Hall Of Fame
    Perfect. Love it....

I know this is kind of juvenile of me Slikmo, but--

I'm not saying he's answer to everything under the sun, only that there's a lot of upside and a lot of production on tape that translates to the majors... I feel good knowing Rex & Co. are doing their homework.
    OK, so if Hunt and Hopkins are both sitting there in the second, who are you taking?

All Pro
    OK, so if Hunt and Hopkins are both sitting there in the second, who are you taking?
    UGGH, you bastard.... I'd probably take Hopkins. I'd be torn up about it though. I'm all about these ceiling guys. You only have to score on a couple of them...

but Hopkins is the best WR in this draft IMO. Allen's there too, but I'm worried about this slow recovery.

Hall Of Fame
    UGGH, you bastard.... I'd probably take Hopkins. I'd be torn up about it though. I'm all about these ceiling guys. You only have to score on a couple of them...

but Hopkins is the best WR in this draft IMO. Allen's there too, but I'm worried about this slow recovery.
    I agree, I take Hopkins as well. I do think Rex is taking one of these OLB prospects in the first though, there are too many of them sniffing the top 10.

I'd go Hopkins. All about opportunity cost (stretching the meaning a bit here for my econ buffs). Would allow us to move on from Holmes sooner.