Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mother of all mock drafts...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Mother of all mock drafts...

1) WR- Cordarelle Patterson - Big, Fast, sudden, playmaker. Will require double teams right off the bat.

Why? It doesn't look like they will bring Braylon back, Hill is still a work in progress and Holmes won't be ready until the season starts. Let's face it, Sanchez' biggest problem was his lack of capable receivers all season, Patterson will ease some of those concerns. Last but not least he will be the BPA when we pick at #9.

2) QB- Tyler Wilson- Tough, accurate, rocket armed with a gunslinger mentality who knows how to lead and rally the troops.

Why? We need to come away with a QB in this draft and Wilson is the second best at his position in this draft behind Geno Smith. Sanchez will have real competition come late July.

3) OG- Kyle Long- Athletic and strong, can pull and is a capable pass protector. Played LT at Oregon but excelled at LG.

Why? We signed Colon but he most likely will play RG after Moore's departure. Slauson might not be back and is marginal at best, outside of Schlauderaff we have nobody, Kyle is Howie's kid and won't disappoint the bloodline.

4) TE- Joseph Fauria- Big tall target who can get open and catch, good blocker with room to grow and get stronger.

Why? Cumberland needs a complement, a guy who can do it all well, Fauria is a faster version of Anthony Becht, good bloodlines too his brother Christian played for the Seahawks.

5) OLB- David Bass- A sack master who played four years and produced although at Div 2 Missouri Southern, fiery leader.

Why? We need a pass rusher, although the signing of Antwan Barnes and the emergence of McEntyre plus Ricky Sapp's potential, coupled with more 4-3 looks has lessened the need for a typical 3-4 type OLB. Rex will always find ways to generate pressure and Bass will fit right in.

6) RB/FB- Lonnie Pryor- Built more like an every down RB than a FB, Pryor can do it all well, run, catch and block, Pryor (6.0 220) also has deceptive speed to take it to the house. A consumate team player who won't mind doing the dirty work including special teams.

Why? Every team needs versatility and Pryor is a Swiss Army Knife.

7) RT- John Wetzel- Tough player who has experience at both left and right tackle, has started every game the last two seasons at Boston College.

Why? We need depth at the tackle spots, God forbid Brick goes down we have no one behind him.

There you have it, I know it won't please all of you and there were certain areas of need I didn't address like safety, but I feel somewhat confident that Bush and Allen can step up in year two... Keep an eye on Jaiqwan Jarrett a guy our scouts absolutely loved coming out of Temple and who was drafted in the third round by Philly, that dude can play. Also some will kill me for waiting so long for a linebacker, but I have a feeling we will sign another free agent, maybe Victor Butler or James Harrison now that Baltimore signed Dumerville.

All in all I think it does address some of our most pressing needs, thoughts?
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 03-26-2013 at 04:09 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tyler Wilson has the smallest hands of all the "top QBs" in the draft. Not a great indicator of success. In fact, after he was measured at the combine, he was no longer even mentioned as one of the top QBs.

My guess is he wont go in the first three rounds.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the crackwhore of all mocks, haha. I'm kidding, but dude, I'd probably swear off the jets until 2014 if this was our draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    1) WR- Cordarelle Patterson - Big, Fast, sudden, playmaker. Will require double teams right off the bat.

Why? It doesn't look like they will bring Braylon back, Hill is still a work in progress and Holmes won't be ready until the season starts. Let's face it, Sanchez' biggest problem was his lack of capable receivers all season, Patterson will ease some of those concerns. Last but not least he will be the BPA when we pick at #9.

2) QB- Tyler Wilson- Tough, accurate, rocket armed with a gunslinger mentality who knows how to lead and rally the troops.

Why? We need to come away with a QB in this draft and Wilson is the second best at his position in this draft behind Geno Smith. Sanchez will have real competition come late July.

3) OG- Kyle Long- Athletic and strong, can pull and is a capable pass protector. Played LT at Oregon but excelled at LG.

Why? We signed Colon but he most likely will play RG after Moore's departure. Slauson might not be back and is marginal at best, outside of Schlauderaff we have nobody, Kyle is Howie's kid and won't disappoint the bloodline.

4) TE- Joseph Fauria- Big tall target who can get open and catch, good blocker with room to grow and get stronger.

Why? Cumberland needs a complement, a guy who can do it all well, Fauria is a faster version of Anthony Becht, good bloodlines too his brother Christian played for the Seahawks.

5) OLB- David Bass- A sack master who played four years and produced although at Div 2 Missouri Southern, fiery leader.

Why? We need a pass rusher, although the signing of Antwan Barnes and the emergence of McEntyre plus Ricky Sapp's potential, coupled with more 4-3 looks has lessened the need for a typical 3-4 type OLB. Rex will always find ways to generate pressure and Bass will fit right in.

6) RB/FB- Lonnie Pryor- Built more like an every down RB than a FB, Pryor can do it all well, run, catch and block, Pryor (6.0 220) also has deceptive speed to take it to the house. A consumate team player who won't mind doing the dirty work including special teams.

Why? Every team needs versatility and Pryor is a Swiss Army Knife.

7) RT- John Wetzel- Tough player who has experience at both left and right tackle, has started every game the last two seasons at Boston College.

Why? We need depth at the tackle spots, God forbid Brick goes down we have no one behind him.

There you have it, I know it won't please all of you and there were certain areas of need I didn't address like safety, but I feel somewhat confident that Bush and Allen can step up in year two... Keep an eye on Jaiqwan Jarrett a guy our scouts absolutely loved coming out of Temple and who was drafted in the third round by Philly, that dude can play. Also some will kill me for waiting so long for a linebacker, but I have a feeling we will sign another free agent, maybe Victor Butler or James Harrison now that Baltimore signed Dumerville.

All in all I think it does address some of our most pressing needs, thoughts?
    No offense, but you need to start smoking the good stuff.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Terrible

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every single QB coming out has flaws, I like Wilson despite his imperfections, when I watch him on tape I see a guy who plays with confidence, stands in the pocket and delivers a ball with plenty of pop. If his hands are small you can't tell by the way he zips his passes. I would take him over Manuel in a heartbeat and I saw every single game Manuel played, I know a lot of you want Manuel, but ge will need a lot of coaching before he's ready. I also like Landry a lot by the way despite all the criticism, reminds me of Mark Bulger while Wilson reminds me of Brees. Manuel can't run like RG3 or Newton and does not have the arm of Freeman, I think he has the tools to be very good with time, but will need a lot of coaching.

By the way, you're lucky if you can get 3 solid contributors out of the draft every year, to expect more is simply unrealistic, and a draft alone will not fill all of our needs, I would be thrilled if we got 4 solid contributors this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Outside of Kyle Long, I hate this draft.
    With the holes we have at OLB and Safety, the only players you picked at these positions is David Bass??

You mentioned Ricky Sapp's potential...the only potential he has is potentially being cut before the 3rd preaseason game. The guy's ceiling is making the PS. He is horrible.

Your first two picks clearly are not BPA. We need quality football players at every position. DOnt reach for what you perceive to be a need. Every position is a need

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    This is the crackwhore of all mocks, haha. I'm kidding, but dude, I'd probably swear off the jets until 2014 if this was our draft.
    It is the polar opposite of your draft. I think this one is far better to be honest.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we go with a raw WR with our first pick, I won't be happy. Then follow it with a project QB, followed by mediocrity the rest of the way and I'll need a box of antacids. I really hate this draft.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly, Cordelle is a project right now with several question marks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    It is the polar opposite of your draft. I think this one is far better to be honest.
    No you don't. Trust me, there's a REASON why everyone here is saying no to Patterson at #9. There's a reason why the Jets are signing Garrards and talking to veterans...

the first 2 picks here are totally unacceptable. It's time to smell the coffee boys. Lotulelei, warmack, Jones, etc these are your BPAs. These are your future Jet prospects.

I'm not even a fan of silva - but atleast he (like others) are starting to get it. Patterson is no better than the 3rd WR. I'd argue 4th.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...ock-draft?pg=1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jarvis Jones has a medical condition that will shorten his NFL career, and barely ran a 4.9, that's terrible for a 245 pound guy, 300 pound OG's are running faster these days.

I don't get it, we all cry, ***** and complain about Sanchez and our lack of weapons on offense, but want to continue to draft defense. At some point we will have to draft a QB, this is the year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Jarvis Jones has a medical condition that will shorten his NFL career, and barely ran a 4.9, that's terrible for a 245 pound guy, 300 pound OG's are running faster these days.

I don't get it, we all cry, ***** and complain about Sanchez and our lack of weapons on offense, but want to continue to draft defense. At some point we will have to draft a QB, this is the year.
    I'm not trying to be combative, but the points you're using to illustrate your thinking - are razor thin and flawed. There's a ton of examples of guys who timed slow, and played huge. A boat load that timed fast and played slow. Etc etc. Jones can play OLB. if you don't think that - switch to another sport.

The reality is @ 9 - you work with what you got. Patterson? Hell no. Have you actually watched a full game of his?? Or just youtube highlights... Landry Jones... Landry freaking Jones?? Dude, why are we even having this conversation.

The value at 9 is D-lin/OLB/OG. It is what it is. ...I know people here want Offense (so do I) but the way this team's built this year - it's not in the cards to go chasing unicorn quarterbacks, and make-belief Wide receivers... Build up the trenches, fortify the walls, and then we can go balls out in that department next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not trying to be combative, but the points you're using to illustrate your thinking - are razor thin and flawed. There's a ton of examples of guys who timed slow, and played huge. A boat load that timed fast and played slow. Etc etc. Jones can play OLB. if you don't think that - switch to another sport.

The reality is @ 9 - you work with what you got. Patterson? Hell no. Have you actually watched a full game of his?? Or just youtube highlights... Landry Jones... Landry freaking Jones?? Dude, why are we even having this conversation.

The value at 9 is D-lin/OLB/OG. It is what it is. ...I know people here want Offense (so do I) but the way this team's built this year - it's not in the cards to go chasing unicorn quarterbacks, and make-belief Wide receivers... Build up the trenches, fortify the walls, and then we can go balls out in that department next year.
    Paradis - usually agree with you fully. This time it's only partly. The value with pick 9 is at olb. However I like mingo, ansah and Moore better than jones. All three have the athleticism w/ o the health issue of jones. I personally think Jordan and ansah will be off the board at 9. That leaves us with Mingo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    Paradis - usually agree with you fully. This time it's only partly. The value with pick 9 is at olb. However I like mingo, ansah and Moore better than jones. All three have the athleticism w/ o the health issue of jones. I personally think Jordan and ansah will be off the board at 9. That leaves us with Mingo.
    I said Dline cause Star's debatably a better prospect than them all. Jones has these health concerns, Moore's work ethic raised commitment flags, Mingo's production has huge holes in and Ansah just flat out doesn't fit the OLB bill IMO...

So i dunno. It's messy. All I know is the OGs look risk free, Star fills a need people appear to think doesn't exist, and Moore & Jones I at least know can play the position at certain level of productivity..

Fck it. Draft Eifert!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

By and large, I'm a tape > workouts guy.

The problem with your reasoning about Jones's time is that it's not really the time that is the issue, it's his combination of size/time. If he's a 255-265 lbs. guy, then fine, but Jones is only 240.

The bigger issue I see with Jones, however, is the medical concerns. The Jets really cannot afford to swing and miss at #9. At this point, I'd likely be more satisfied with a safe pick (i.e. Warmack/Cooper) than swinging for the fences or rolling the dice. If we're going the OLB route, I'd prefer Jordan or Mingo (I don't agree that he's as big a gamble as people say).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    By and large, I'm a tape > workouts guy.

The problem with your reasoning about Jones's time is that it's not really the time that is the issue, it's his combination of size/time. If he's a 255-265 lbs. guy, then fine, but Jones is only 240.

The bigger issue I see with Jones, however, is the medical concerns. The Jets really cannot afford to swing and miss at #9. At this point, I'd likely be more satisfied with a safe pick (i.e. Warmack/Cooper) than swinging for the fences or rolling the dice. If we're going the OLB route, I'd prefer Jordan or Mingo (I don't agree that he's as big a gamble as people say).
    I can't really argue that. I'm hoping in a perfect world if we took Jones, he'd make it healthy through a 7-8 career. His size is something to talk about, but i'm want to lean on talent over measurables.

The safest possible pick is Warmack/Cooper IMO. Star's there too, but you at least have to ask yourself how the hell he developed a heart problem - no matter how minor.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    Prior to the health concerns Jones was in the running to be the #1 pick overall. I really do think the health concerns are somewhat overstated, but it comes down to the Jets team doctors. But in terms of tape and talent Jones beats the other guys hands down. There was a reason why before the underwear olympics he was was far and away the top prospect. And he excelled in one of the most competitive college football conferences.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Come on dude are you serious? I watch just as much college football as anyone around here, but the draft is a crap shoot, yes there are examples of players who time slow and go on to have outstanding careers, but you are raising flags with my prospects when the fact is I can do the same with yours. Patterson is an exciting playmaker, we need those around here and Wilson is a gamer and Sanchez needs as much competition as he can get. I agree about the trenches that's why Long is my pick in the third round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way Paradis, how can you go DE in round 2 with all the needs we have? Hunt is not even BAP at that point, he will sit all year behind Wilk and Coples if that's the case. Not sure I understand that pick. Love Jones, just not at 9.