Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible beast on our roster we haven't even discussed...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Possible beast on our roster we haven't even discussed...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mnCQkoIZOFg

Think Rex has plan for this kid now that Landry and Bell are gone? The kid hits like a demon! Him and Mo Wilk were sick at Temple two years ago.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    So if this guy is a complete beast why was he available? Where was he drafted? What round? and if not then why? Studs that are cheap are usually already on teams so whats the deal here? Im not saying hes not a stud but just asking why he was available for nothing?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    He will have his opportunity to take that spot this year. Now he has to show that he is more than just a hi-light and do it on a consistent basis.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    So if this guy is a complete beast why was he available? Where was he drafted? What round? and if not then why? Studs that are cheap are usually already on teams so whats the deal here? Im not saying hes not a stud but just asking why he was available for nothing?
    He was a 2nd round pick, 54th overall. He may have been available for a lot of reasons, scheme, coaching, buried on the depth chart etc.

Looks like a player who needed a fresh start and he's got one, plenty of guys pull through with a change of scenery.

Plenty of UDFA make it big, and the Jamarcus Russell's of this world fall flat on there face. Like op is saying, we may have one safety position locked down with this guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He can hit but he can't cover. He was terrible in coverage for the Eagles, who cut him after barely a year even though he was a 2nd round pick.

He's kind of like younger Eric Smith with even worse coverage skills. We are in big trouble if we are pinning our hopes on this guy, IMO. Special teams guy only, in probability.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    He can hit but he can't cover. He was terrible in coverage for the Eagles, who cut him after barely a year even though he was a 2nd round pick.

"He's kind of like younger Eric Smith with even worse coverage skills. We are in big trouble if we are pinning our hopes on this guy, IMO. Special teams guy only, in probability.
    The Eagles raved about Jarrett's athleticism and hitting ability when they drafted him and envisioned him teaming with Nate Allen at safety for the next decade. But Jarrett struggled learning the system and struggled in pass coverage, so he was deactivated for four games in 2011 and didn't play very much in the others.

The Eagles pointed to the fact that Jarrett didn't have an offseason with them as a rookie because of the NFL lockout and once he fell behind, he could never catch up. But he never did, even with a full season and offseason under his belt, which is why the Eagles brought in a few veterans -- O.J. Atogwe and Phillip Thomas -- to compete with him. Eventually, they, too, were released.

Reid said he believes Jarrett has the talent to play at this level and will get another chance to make an NFL roster."

So he had a shortened training camp and a full training camp to prove himself and couldn't do it. Hey he's worth a shot. Just goes to show what a crap shoot the draft actually is.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 03-26-2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Added quotations

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    The Eagles raved about Jarrett's athleticism and hitting ability when they drafted him and envisioned him teaming with Nate Allen at safety for the next decade. But Jarrett struggled learning the system and struggled in pass coverage, so he was deactivated for four games in 2011 and didn't play very much in the others.

The Eagles pointed to the fact that Jarrett didn't have an offseason with them as a rookie because of the NFL lockout and once he fell behind, he could never catch up. But he never did, even with a full season and offseason under his belt, which is why the Eagles brought in a few veterans -- O.J. Atogwe and Phillip Thomas -- to compete with him. Eventually, they, too, were released.

Reid said he believes Jarrett has the talent to play at this level and will get another chance to make an NFL roster."

So he had a shortened training camp and a full training camp to prove himself and couldn't do it. Hey he's worth a shot. Just goes to show what a crap shoot the draft actually is.
    I would love to see it happen, but I have my doubts. I don't think he reads the game well enough to be an NFL starter. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember when Jarrett was with PHI Reid installed an O-Line coach as a
    DC (Castillo). So it wouldn't be shocking that he would look bad under
    a coach who didn't know what he was doing. I know when he was coming
    out our draft site wanted him badly for the Jets

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see it happen, but I have my doubts. I don't think he reads the game well enough to be an NFL starter. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
    +1 coops.

Still, maybe it is time for us to get lucky on one of these turned over rocks.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Possible Beast" lol laughing at the term.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mnCQkoIZOFg

Think Rex has plan for this kid now that Landry and Bell are gone? The kid hits like a demon! Him and Mo Wilk were sick at Temple two years ago.
    The guy has been discussed on this site:

Jarrett is a very productive collegiate safety, but he may lack the size and speed to make an impact at the next level. He is a four-year starter that seeks out contact in run support and breaks down ball carriers in the open field. In the passing game, he uses very good recognition skills to effectively cover the deep-third of the field despite less than ideal speed. It remains unclear if his toughness and instinctual advantages can make up for his size and speed deficiencies in the NFL, but he has a great attitude and work ethic and should be a middle round pick.

Strengths

Jarrett is a well prepared player that is always in position. Possesses good instincts, reads quickly and is very effective in zone coverage. Flashes the ability to cover slot receivers in man coverage. Wades through traffic, fills hard in run support and is a good tackler in the open field.

Weaknesses

Does not have the size to play near the line of scrimmage at the next level. Lacks the top end speed to be a true center fielder and will struggle to recover once he is beat. Hands are not reliable and he does not have the ball skills to be a ball hawk.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profil...=2495177#tab=0
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 03-26-2013 at 11:07 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The word "Beast" is used way to often on these boards. Again, I don't want a beast, they get too many penalties.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a Temple alum...

He wasn't anything special at TU and he was even worse in Philly. I couldn't believe he was a 2nd round pick.

Possible beast? No, I think it's more likely he is out of the league in a year.

I have much higher hopes for Allen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mentioned him in one other thread. Yeah you never know there. Philly had an OL line coach running the D so I'm guess they weren't great with developing talent. He has the ability Rex could very well turn him into a very good S. It is a cheap option I am glad they are looking at.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    no one said we are pinnign our hopes on this kid....he is just a player who will get a chance in a new place.

He's kind of like younger Eric Smith with even worse coverage skills. We are in big trouble if we are pinning our hopes on this guy, IMO. Special teams guy only, in probability.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I'm a Temple alum...

He wasn't anything special at TU and he was even worse in Philly. I couldn't believe he was a 2nd round pick.

I agree. If the kid was a 4th or 5th round pick like he should have been there would not be this talk about Jarrett being some "possible beast".

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Teams don't normally give up on 2nd round talent unless they absolutely suck. Even the Jets can't cut ties with Ducasse. Imagine how bad this guy must have been in Philly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Teams don't normally give up on 2nd round talent unless they absolutely suck. Even the Jets can't cut ties with Ducasse. Imagine how bad this guy must have been in Philly.
    He's won the Mr Ugly contest every year he's been a Jet you don't cut a player like that..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has the makings of a special teams demon, if thats all he becomes I'm happy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I'm a Temple alum...

More intrigues by what Allen can show in the absence of Landry, Bell, Smith. Jarret may be best suited to ST's then take it from there