Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jets to be big players in FA in 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    And Kris Jenkins who played 23 games in 3 years..
    That's true, but he sure was great when he did play.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    That's true, but he sure was great when he did play.
    +1 He was hell when he was well..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 He was hell when he was well..
    IMO, had he been able to stay healthy, he would have been hands down one of the most important acquisitions the Jets ever made. He used to own the middle.

No, I do not think we will ever be big players in FA again under Idzik.

the 2014 FA class is a dry one. some nice RFA's that Idzik won't go after. a handful of aging UFA's he won't go after.

there's really only one potentially available, bankable player in the 2014 UFA class and that's Hakeem Nicks. Geno Atkins will not be available. Mike Williams and Jeremy Maclin can't command big bucks. Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews won't be available and only Brian Orakpo and Anthony Spencer are potential targets whose contracts will reflect this year's poor market. The only other potential player is Jairus Byrd.

our excess 2014 cap space will be used to front-load extensions for our own good players and be carried over to 2015. hopefully we'll also have an extra 1st round pick in 2014 to absorb some of that excess cap as well.

so, at most, two or three UFA's will leave their teams for big money elsewhere. can the Jets be big players? of course. but that could mean just signing one of them. Byrd and/or Spencer would be most likely.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 03-26-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

IMO, had he been able to stay healthy, he would have been hands down one of the most important acquisitions the Jets ever made. He used to own the middle.
    No doubt about it...

Jenkins was a trade not a FA

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Jenkins was a trade not a FA
    Yes, but when they traded for him they gave him a new 5 year 35 million dollar contract. He actually had two years remaining on his deal from Carolina that would have paid him 4 million in 2008 and 3.7 million in 2009. Plus the Jets gave up a 3rd and 5th round pick for him as well. Jenkins was a nice player but the Jets gave up two draft picks AND paid him like a free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Yes, but when they traded for him they gave him a new 5 year 35 million dollar contract. He actually had two years remaining on his deal from Carolina that would have paid him 4 million in 2008 and 3.7 million in 2009. Plus the Jets gave up a 3rd and 5th round pick for him as well. Jenkins was a nice player but the Jets gave up two draft picks AND paid him like a free agent.
    And considering the Jets only got 23 games in 3 seasons out of him, it wasn't such a great deal. Like I said already, if he had been able to stay healthy it would money very well spent. It just didn't work out that way due to his health.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Building through the draft goes without saying. I think we all assume that building through the draft is a priority so there is no need to mention that.

I haven't seen any figures yet but I am hoping his strategy is to save up some cap room and then go out and add a couple of very nice pieces in 2014.
    That's my thinking. I believe a lot of the reason we went so deep into the playoffs in 09 and 10 was because a great FA period in 2008. Unfortunately, we were unable to replace that talent after they retired/ moved on.

Hall Of Fame
    That's my thinking. I believe a lot of the reason we went so deep into the playoffs in 09 and 10 was because a great FA period in 2008. Unfortunately, we were unable to replace that talent after they retired/ moved on.
    The problem was that Tanny traded picks for players and then gave those players big money. When it came time to replace those players the Jets didnt have a lot of draft picks to replenish the roster. You can not rely on a roster made up of primarily FAs, you MUST have young players playing on their rookie contracts contributing.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The problem was that Tanny traded picks for players and then gave those players big money. When it came time to replace those players the Jets didnt have a lot of draft picks to replenish the roster. You can not rely on a roster made up of primarily FAs, you MUST have young players playing on their rookie contracts contributing.
    IMO, you must have a good mix. You have to do well at drafting and keeping a constant infusion of young, contributing players. But to get the final pieces of a SB puzzle, at some point or another, you'll need to take a shot with some high priced FA's. That's the way I see it, and I do not believe the Jets would have ever made so much playoff noise in 09 and 10 without that FA class from 2008. They played a huge role.

We will have a ton of money to spend next year. Not saying we should spend it but we should at least spend it wisely

JetsInsider.com Legend
    The Jets mission must be the following:

1. Find a franchise QB
    2. See #1 above.

Seriously, we have to move heaven and earth to find the 10-year type guy that other successful franchises find and then ride to consistent success. We can continue to move the pieces around, scheme on defense, try to build some "ground and pound" or count on a shutdown CB, but that just masks the problem that we haven't found our Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, etc.

Now, if Idzik is gearing up to attack the 2014 draft for a QB, then that's great. I think we're married to Sanchez this season anyway. That's why I'm okay with the latest Revis trade rumor netting us two picks in 2014. If we do that trade then I don't care if we trade both 1st rounders and half our draft next year to get up to #1 or #2 for a franchise QB, because you should only need to hit on a QB once a decade anyway.

All of act as though it would be such a sin to be active in FA. Now, maybe from a fiscal standpoint, we may over pay a little bit. But remember the last time we were big players in FA was 2008.

IMO, there was good and bad that came out of that:

The bad being we overpaid for some of those players, Faneca and Pace come to mind.

It also launched the team into being a SB contender. Do you really think we would gone as far as we did without guys Faneca being a wrecking ball in the running game? Or Damien Woody for that matter? Or Tony Richardson?

Our last FA period where we were big spenders played a major role in us reaching two consecutive AFCCG's.

We also do not have a guy like Tannenbaum that will tend to overpay for those FA's. We'll have to spend big even with Idzik, but I still tend to believe Idzik would be much more aware of what market value is for top notch players in FA. That equates to getting players for a little less than the extravagant contracts Tanny gave out.

So I would love for Idzik to go into FA with a shopping list. So long as we spend money the right way, we could come out being big winners.
    Truth