Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets to be big players in FA in 2014?

Jets to be big players in FA in 2014?

It appears to me where Idzik is being so budget oriented that he's planning on keeping extra under the cap this season. To my knowledge, that will carry over into 2014. The Jets cap is also in pretty good shape in 2014 already. Could he be gearing up for a major FA push to build the team in 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    It appears to me where Idzik is being so budget oriented that he's planning on keeping extra under the cap this season. To my knowledge, that will carry over into 2014. The Jets cap is also in pretty good shape in 2014 already. Could he be gearing up for a major FA push to build the team in 2014?
    You don't build a team in FA, even if we are in a good cap situation next year I hope we stay the course and build through the draft.

Nothing wrong with adding a few quality pieces in FA to fill a few holes, but if we build a team how the eagles and fins did this year ill be pissed.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    You don't build a team in FA, even if we are in a good cap situation next year I hope we stay the course and build through the draft.

Nothing wrong with adding a few quality pieces in FA to fill a few holes, but if we build a team how the eagles and fins did this year ill be pissed.
    +1

But I do think next offseason will be an exciting time to be a Jets fan. In all likelihood we are looking at a high pick of our own and possibly bolstered by an additional pick or picks that we acquire from other teams in trade. We are also looking at a pretty much "repaired" cap situation where we will hopefully be in a position that any large dollar contracts still carried by the team are contracts where we are getting actual performances on the field (cap dollars actually at work as opposed to Bart Scott's or mark Sanchez' etc.).

I am far from an expert in such things but several posters on here are of the opinion the the top of next year's draft is as strong as it has been in years. Things are lining up well for us I think and all we have to do now is fast forward a year.

Just kidding. The fun this year will be getting to see the kids play. Maybe it turns out we have unearthed any diamonds in the rough or that some player on the decline manages to right the ship.

Last thing this team needs are more over priced FAs IMO. Do you really want Cutler? We should use that money to reward players up for new deals. Howard, Colon, Lex, Tanner, anyone else we may sign for one year worth keeping next year. Even if we do not get Revis back you still have Cro, Wilson, Kerley, Ellis, Powell, Caleb, and Wilk (if you want to avoid the option year) that will be looking for extensions. You normally get players cheaper if you resign them before they become FAs. Going on a rip signing guys like Pace, Scott, Holmes, and Cro was a big mistake.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

We just need a real franchise QB. That has to be our main focus in one of the next two drafts or even both. Wouldnt mind taking one early in the 2nd or 3rd this year and even #1 next year. If one is better than the other, we have big time trade bait.

Teams with franchise QBs don't over spend in FA. You might need to add a piece here or there but that's not how real teams are built. If anything, these teams let FA's leave for bigger pay days because they have the franchise QB to carry the team.

STSLY?

It's March and you know he's going to have extra cap room?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Last thing this team needs are more over priced FAs IMO. Do you really want Cutler? We should use that money to reward players up for new deals. Howard, Colon, Lex, Tanner, anyone else we may sign for one year worth keeping next year. Even if we do not get Revis back you still have Cro, Wilson, Kerley, Ellis, Powell, Caleb, and Wilk (if you want to avoid the option year) that will be looking for extensions. You normally get players cheaper if you resign them before they become FAs. Going on a rip signing guys like Pace, Scott, Holmes, and Cro was a big mistake.
    I agree you take care of your own first. but the jets will be able to take advantage of bargains in the FA market. Guys like Huff, Victor Butler, etc.
    Hopefully the jets will use FA as it was meant to be used to add the final big dollar piece or to add solid depth and rotational players.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    STSLY?

It's March and you know he's going to have extra cap room?
    I believe he said 70% cap room in 2014..

Theres nothing wrong with signing some quality free agents during the offseason. One thing you don't want to do however, is sign every big name out their for the sake of adding a big name, not taking into consideration scheme, personality, or age. It seemed like that was the eagles route and it failed miserably. You should build the base of your team through the draft, and aquire missing pieces through free agency.

IMO I think the eagles give free agency a bad name. If done correctly, and if you take into consideration future cap space, free agency can be extremely beneficial. Sometimes guys bust. It's the same with the draft.

But be prepared for when you do spend that money, because if your getting a good player you will be ripped for it. No matter what player and what price, they will say you over spent. And you know why? Because you're the Jets. You're a circus. It's media fed (and partly Rex fed, but not lately) BS, but anytime anything happens with the Jets, it's bad. I know how it feels because I'm a dolphins fan. And for the past few years, every move we make is wrong. Ross is the worst owner in the NFL. Ireland is the worst GM. Nobody wants to play for Miami. It's all bs, but when you get the reputation, fair or not, until you start winning it wont go away.

Case in point, I was watching some commentary after the last draft, and they asked one of the commentators (I'm drawing a blank now, sorry) what his favorite pick was in this years draft. His answer was the patriots 2nd round pick of that safety (again, don't feel like looking up his name but I'm guessing most if not all of you know who I'm talking about) who by all accounts was probably the biggest reach in the draft. Could've been had way later in the draft. And his reasoning..."The patriots don't care what I think, they saw a guy they wanted and they weren't worried about me or anybody else ripping them for it" You think that would've been his response if it was the Jets. No, "the jets are a circus, horrible pick, tannenbaum doesn't have a clue". Or the dolphins, "worst GM in the league, worst owner, these guys are just clowns"

Sorry, Rant over

Quote Originally Posted by jp5002 View Post

Case in point, I was watching some commentary after the last draft, and they asked one of the commentators (I'm drawing a blank now, sorry) what his favorite pick was in this years draft. His answer was the patriots 2nd round pick of that safety (again, don't feel like looking up his name but I'm guessing most if not all of you know who I'm talking about) who by all accounts was probably the biggest reach in the draft. Could've been had way later in the draft. And his reasoning..."The patriots don't care what I think, they saw a guy they wanted and they weren't worried about me or anybody else ripping them for it" You think that would've been his response if it was the Jets. No, "the jets are a circus, horrible pick, tannenbaum doesn't have a clue". Or the dolphins, "worst GM in the league, worst owner, these guys are just clowns"

Sorry, Rant over
    why do you care about the media reaction?

We'll probably have somewhere along the lines of 10 draft picks to sign, but we'll also be in the market for a WR or 2, maybe a RB, and also it would be nice to be able to re-up some young talent, most notably Mo Wilkerson, next off-season, eating up some of the 90% of the cap that all NFL teams must use as per the CBA. They could also hand out an extension to Cromartie if he has another solid campaign in 2013.

Hall Of Fame
    Idzik isnt being budget oriented because he is planning to carry over extra cap room, he is being budget conscious because he HAS to this year. The Jets simply do not have a lot of money to spend, and need to spread it around this year. He also needs to keep a few million free in case they trade Revis.

I don't think that will ever happen again in the near future.

Jets are going to rebuild with the draft, and sign lesser known free agents for small contracts. Will use cap space to re-sign players cultivated through the draft.

Anyway, that's MO in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by batman10023 View Post
    why do you care about the media reaction?
    I care because I enjoy reading about the dolphins. Just like I'm sure you guys enjoy reading about the jets. But when every move, including moves that are undeniably good moves, get ripped and made fun of, it takes the fun out of covering your team. It's hard for me to read articles nowadays because every move is bashed, and it's obvious the media just follows the trend. I can handle bad media when it's fair, but at some point it just gets out of hand. You can tell these guys don't do any research, they're just following the crowd.

Ya know, when jeff fisher decided to coach the Rams instead of the dolphins, the media fed into the whole nobody wants to work/play in Miami for stephen ross or jeff ireland. The truth was, Jeff fisher wanted full control, as GM and coach. Ross didn't want to give him that, which seems smart considering fisher has never done that and Ireland has a good track record since Parcells left. But no, the story was that fisher turned down the dolphins desperate attempts to lure him in. If you want to rip us and say we should have given him whatever he wants, thats fine, but don't feed into the media BS that nobody wants to come to Miami and thats why he left.

Another article I read recently, it was actually posted on this forum, was saying that based on the Wallace signing the dolphins were going to be in cap hell, and have to cut a bunch of players next year depending on what their cap number is. Depending on what their cap number is? Seriously? How about take 5 minutes to actually do some research and you can avoid the whole article. If he did he would see that we are way under the cap for next year as well. You can rip the dolphins for the Wallace move for plenty of reasons. But to end an article about us having to make a bunch of cuts next year to stay under the cap, depending on how much we have on the books for next year is just lazy
    Last edited by jp5002; 03-26-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Building through the draft goes without saying. I think we all assume that building through the draft is a priority so there is no need to mention that.

I haven't seen any figures yet but I am hoping his strategy is to save up some cap room and then go out and add a couple of very nice pieces in 2014.

It's way too early in the off-season to know how much more we will spend in FA this year and whether we will carry over.

The fact that Widzik cleared all that space means one of two things to me -- either he will sign more FAs before the draft (we clearly need OL, S, TE, OLB) or he is preparing for the dead money cap hit for trading Revis and/or Sanchez. My guess is we sign more FAs and trade Revis after June 1st to spread the dead money hit over 2 years. It doesn't seem like we need to carry cap over to 2014 at this point.

Unused cap under the new CBA can be carried forward. The only reason the Jets would want to stay within the minimum required 2013 cap is that they have given up on this year. Next years cap is expected to be about 123 million and any unused cap space can be applied to 2014 as outlined in this link:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/80...art-management

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers carried over $23.5 million and were able to purchase the best free-agency class of 2012: Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks and Eric Wright. John Elway of the Broncos had a $27 million carryover and had the luxury of bringing in Peyton Manning's $19 million salary
    Last edited by rajensen088; 03-26-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Just kidding. The fun this year will be getting to see the kids play. Maybe it turns out we have unearthed any diamonds in the rough or that some player on the decline manages to right the ship.
    Despite the bleak end to 2012, this is the reason why I'm excited for the upcoming season. Lowered expectations and a chance to watch the development of younger guys with potential instead of the frustration of watching older guys continue their decline.

What the Jets do in FA in 2014 is (I hope) going to be largely dependent upon how the season plays out, so I don't know that cap room is an official deciding factor...at least not yet.

All of act as though it would be such a sin to be active in FA. Now, maybe from a fiscal standpoint, we may over pay a little bit. But remember the last time we were big players in FA was 2008.

IMO, there was good and bad that came out of that:

The bad being we overpaid for some of those players, Faneca and Pace come to mind.

It also launched the team into being a SB contender. Do you really think we would gone as far as we did without guys Faneca being a wrecking ball in the running game? Or Damien Woody for that matter? Or Tony Richardson?

Our last FA period where we were big spenders played a major role in us reaching two consecutive AFCCG's.

We also do not have a guy like Tannenbaum that will tend to overpay for those FA's. We'll have to spend big even with Idzik, but I still tend to believe Idzik would be much more aware of what market value is for top notch players in FA. That equates to getting players for a little less than the extravagant contracts Tanny gave out.

So I would love for Idzik to go into FA with a shopping list. So long as we spend money the right way, we could come out being big winners.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

All of act as though it would be such a sin to be active in FA. Now, maybe from a fiscal standpoint, we may over pay a little bit. But remember the last time we were big players in FA was 2008.

IMO, there was good and bad that came out of that:

The bad being we overpaid for some of those players, Faneca and Pace come to mind.

It also launched the team into being a SB contender. Do you really think we would gone as far as we did without guys Faneca being a wrecking ball in the running game? Or Damien Woody for that matter? Or Tony Richardson?

Our last FA period where we were big spenders played a major role in us reaching two consecutive AFCCG's.

We also do not have a guy like Tannenbaum that will tend to overpay for those FA's. We'll have to spend big even with Idzik, but I still tend to believe Idzik would be much more aware of what market value is for top notch players in FA. That equates to getting players for a little less than the extravagant contracts Tanny gave out.

So I would love for Idzik to go into FA with a shopping list. So long as we spend money the right way, we could come out being big winners.
    And Kris Jenkins who played 23 games in 3 years..