Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Do you still believe in the cap ?

  1. #1

    Do you still believe in the cap ?

    It seems that a lot of players are getting cut around the NFL due to the cap situation and that days of really big player contracts maybe coming to an end. Even though Flaco signed a $120 million deal he could still be cut after a couple of years.

    To me it's how much is enough ? I mean if you're making $10-$20 million isn't that enough to live on for the rest of your life ? The cap seems to be hurting the players a hell of a lot more than I thought

  2. #2
    The cap is a percentage of earnings and is a moving target.

    If teams aren't spending a lot on big names it just means they're spending more on lesser talent and spreading out the money. Most teams are spending the entire cap and there is a minimum percentage that must be spent.

    The cap is NOT hurting the players any more than it has in the past.

    I love the hard cap and the parity it creates.

  3. #3
    For sure I believe in the cap. Any non cap league is a joke. Flacco wanted all the money now he and the fans have to live with the limitations it puts on the rest of the team.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,538
    he's a young man who already won a Super Bowl. time to get what you can and perhaps next contract hell be willing to negotiate .

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,382
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    It seems that a lot of players are getting cut around the NFL due to the cap situation and that days of really big player contracts maybe coming to an end. Even though Flaco signed a $120 million deal he could still be cut after a couple of years.

    To me it's how much is enough ? I mean if you're making $10-$20 million isn't that enough to live on for the rest of your life ? The cap seems to be hurting the players a hell of a lot more than I thought
    How much is enough? That depends on what is most important to the player, money or championships/successful team.

    As many players have proved a high salary today doesn't mean financial well being for life. Namath was the highest paid player at one point making $427k as a rookie (I believe). People probably thought that was crazy money at the time. I don't blame players for trying to get as much as possible. To me the problem is when they don't take their signing bonus into consideration when complaining about how little they make in one year or when they complain that the team isn't built well. Can't have it both ways.

    That said the cap is necessary to keep all teams competitive.

  6. #6
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northport, LI
    Posts
    282
    I feel it needs to be tweaked. I like the premise that it prevents teams from going out and "buying" championships. However, I don't like the fact that teams draft and develop a guy to a point where they no longer can afford him. I think players you draft shouldn't count against the CAP after their rookie deals run out. A team shouldn't be punished for drafting well, and it would be nice for some of these guys to stick with one team.

  7. #7
    The new CBA agreement really dealt an understated blow to the NFLPA. The cap has stagnated, and is partly why Tannenbaum got fired. He thought he would have a lot more room to play with.

    Check this out: http://overthecap.com/the-free-agenc...ction-of-2013/

    We're seeing the end of mega deals to everyone but quarterbacks. This could get ugly in a couple years. Think about it - who besides a quarterback has gotten a huge deal this year? There's a reason why the CB market has been surprisingly low...

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    7,651
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    To me it's how much is enough ?
    I agree with this to a degree, but people only say this about other people's money.

    If you won $300 million in the lottery, would you say you only wanted a few million because that is enough?

    Again, I get what you're saying but lets not forget that if Flacco had a career ending injury last year, the ravens would have given him the shaft. He worked for the payoff and got there. I don't begrudge him getting all he can.

    As a fan, I don't have to like it when it adversely affects my team but if it was my son, I would tell him to grab the cash.

    JMHO

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I agree with this to a degree, but people only say this about other people's money.

    If you won $300 million in the lottery, would you say you only wanted a few million because that is enough?

    Again, I get what you're saying but lets not forget that if Flacco had a career ending injury last year, the ravens would have given him the shaft. He worked for the payoff and got there. I don't begrudge him getting all he can.

    As a fan, I don't have to like it when it adversely affects my team but if it was my son, I would tell him to grab the cash.

    JMHO
    If I won that much money I would probably give most of it to friends and family so they could pay off their all their debts and put some in the bank so I could live the rest of my years without worrying about work. I would not buy a big expensive house or car but personally I get more inner peace and happiness making others happy

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,326
    Worlds better than baseball




    Ljr

  11. #11
    I like the cap and believe it is critical to success in the NFL. I think that there should be some allotment to make it easier for teams to keep 1 or 2 key players. I think they have something like this in the NBA

  12. #12
    If any one should understand the reason for the cap, it should be Jet fans. Why? Cause it was our very own Freeman McNeil who was a spearhead for the land-mark free agency rulings that came in those early 90s years. Those guys FOUGHT FOR this system. The old "Plan B Free Agency" allowed teams to basically build those super dynasties while paying the players wages the players' felt were constricted by the old system. They also felt their own movements from team to team were restricted. They couldn't basically auction themselves off to the highest bidder like today. Anyone remember the Reggie White free agency tour? It even made a stop at Hofstra, if memory serves me correctly. If anything the cap is to the benefit of the fans since it keeps things more even keel. A historically bad, small market team with cheap ownership doesn't need to worry about being a "farm system" to a large market, free spending team. The players, with how vociferously they fought for this system, showed the fans and the world where their allegiance was - the money. And I'm not saying that's wrong that they did, either. The cap, however, balances things out. Just make sure you have a competent front office to handle it properly

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmat321 View Post
    I feel it needs to be tweaked. I like the premise that it prevents teams from going out and "buying" championships. However, I don't like the fact that teams draft and develop a guy to a point where they no longer can afford him. I think players you draft shouldn't count against the CAP after their rookie deals run out. A team shouldn't be punished for drafting well, and it would be nice for some of these guys to stick with one team.
    You have to understand this will never, ever, ever be a priority for the NFLPA. It was like this for eons and the players fought as hard as if it was a 4th down play in the Super Bowl to eradicate this mindset. As a fan we'd all love that, but we also have to understand this isn't our CAREERS we're talking about. This is all frivolities for us in the long run. For them, it's simply their business and lives.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    I'm not saying that's wrong that they did, either. The cap, however, balances things out. Just make sure you have a competent front office to handle it properly
    The hard cap the NFL has absolutely makes the role of GM much more important than ever before.

    Can't buy your way out of mistakes.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    The hard cap the NFL has absolutely makes the role of GM much more important than ever before.

    Can't buy your way out of mistakes.
    And frankly, I LOVE it. Accountability breeds competence.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Posts
    9,348
    Dont believe in them these days, wifey is fixed now.

    Gooooo Jets!

  17. #17
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    145
    I wish they would adopt a system more like the NBA

  18. #18
    Anyone who still thinks the owners weren't the big winners in this latest CBA are deluded.

  19. #19
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    37,078
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Dont believe in them these days, wifey is fixed now.

    Gooooo Jets!


    A hard cap? Ouch.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Anyone who still thinks the owners weren't the big winners in this latest CBA are deluded.
    And anyone who thinks that multimillionaire players who share 50% of TOTAL revenues from companies owned by billionaires are somehow ''losers'' in this new CBA, is even more deluded.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us