Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 180 School Days

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    This is why this issue is very much a local one. Each state has a set of laws and regulations they go by. The issues we have here in NY are certainly not the same as those in other states.
    It can ever be different town to town around here depending on relationship between local govt. (which can be different type of govt. from town to town) and fire/police/school.

Some towns are in a panic every year, some get a handle on it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Laws or union contract?
    Its a bit of a combination. For example the requirement to provide particular levels of benefits and types of pensions in New York is regulated by the state. Our town or county can not for example offer a defined contribution pension because the State mandates a defined benefits program. On the second part I'm not sure if it is State law or the previous union contract language but when our local public union contract expired it in essence remained in effect until a new contract is negotiated and agreed to. This rule alone guarantees that a new contract can never be "worse" then the previous contract because why would they sign something that is not as lucrative as what they get for keeping the status quo.

FYI lest you think I'm bloviating, my county taxes are up over 40% in the past two years. Look up Rockland County NY. 40% in two years and no end to the increases going forward.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about the 2 teacher per classroom? Contract or law?

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Its a bit of a combination. For example the requirement to provide particular levels of benefits and types of pensions in New York is regulated by the state. Our town or county can not for example offer a defined contribution pension because the State mandates a defined benefits program. On the second part I'm not sure if it is State law or the previous union contract language but when our local public union contract expired it in essence remained in effect until a new contract is negotiated and agreed to. This rule alone guarantees that a new contract can never be "worse" then the previous contract because why would they sign something that is not as lucrative as what they get for keeping the status quo.

FYI lest you think I'm bloviating, my county taxes are up over 40% in the past two years. Look up Rockland County NY. 40% in two years and no end to the increases going forward.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    What about the 2 teacher per classroom? Contract or law?
    That was part of the union contract and was a private entity regardless. The fault lies in whoever negotiated that contract not the state. The free market took care of it however as the school declared bankruptcy and a new entity opened up at another location that was non union. All of the teachers at the original private school lost their jobs. A few of the best ones were hired by the new school but most were simply out of work. The sad part is that those people would have kept their jobs had it not been for their wonderful union.
    Last edited by chiefst2000; 06-24-2013 at 04:44 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogsp...anyone-at.html

The testing companies Pearson and McGraw Hill can screw up over and over again – and continue to get multi- million dollar contracts. Principals rarely get fired, and even those caught cheating are appointed “achievement coaches.”

Yet teachers and children are threatened with the most severe sanctions – including losing their jobs or being held back – if their performance does not improve fast enough for the educrats at Tweed.

Almost two years ago, in February 2012, NYC DOE provided their teacher data reports --crude and unreliable teacher evaluations based on test scores, with teachers identified by name -- to the press, though they originally had promised never to release them. All the daily papers promptly published them. Klein claimed he had no choice because they had been FOILed – though it was well known that he had asked reporters to file these requests.

So in February 2012 – about 16 months ago – shortly after the DOE released the TDR’s, I FOILed for the performance evaluations of the Chancellor and the other top officials in the leadership team at Tweed for 2009, 2010 and 2011. More on my original FOIL request here.

Then in June of last year, the Legislature passed a law, restricting the view of a teacher’s evaluation to a parent with a child in the teacher’s class. Mayor Bloomberg went ballistic, and said he would have every school call every single parent to tell them they had the right to this information, and would post the ratings on ARIS.

After waiting for more than a year, the "final" response to my FOIL finally came back from DOE about a week ago. Believe it or not, there are NO written performance evaluations for ANY of the top officials at Tweed for 2009, 2010 or 2011, including the Chancellor:
    “Diligent searches and inquiries for responsive records have been conducted as to any Chancellor (and his/her Chief of Staff) Chief Academic Officer, Senior Deputy Chancellor, Chief Schools Officer, Deputy Chancellor, Chief Operating Officer, Chief Financial Officer, and General Counsel for the time period covered by your request. It is my understanding that no such records were located, because no such records have been created. Accordingly, there are no records to provide.”

DOE prides itself as operating like a business, but there is no corporation or organization that would fail to evaluate the performance of its top executives.
    Instead, the educrats at Tweed are more like a petty dictatorship, whose workings are so dysfunctional and mismanagement so extreme that they would have been fired years ago, if there was any accountability at the top.