Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex will call defensive plays

Rex will call defensive plays

Thought Rex Ryan was going to change and become more of a HC, spending more time learning the offensive side of the ball, a shortcoming he has admit needs improvement.

So much for change

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...efensive-plays

With the New York Jets in a state of flux, coach Rex Ryan is returning to his roots.

Despite the presence of newly installed defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, Ryan told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News on Tuesday that he'll take over play-calling duties next season, a responsibility long held by Mike Pettine before he bolted north for the Buffalo Bills.

"Dennis and I worked side-by-side with each other literally for years now," Ryan said at the NFL Annual Meeting in Phoenix on Tuesday. "It's something that we talked about and we want to do. I want Dennis to just be totally involved like he always is, but I'll make the calls (and have) the final say on the calls. But again, the process will be very similar."

It's far from a surprising development.

Ryan often called plays during his first year with the Jets in 2009. He dialed in third-down defensive calls as recently as last season before handing that over to Pettine. Few dream up better game plans, but Ryan faces complications heading into this campaign. Most of the veteran players he long relied on have been shuffled out of town, and the future of cornerback Darrelle Revis is hazy at best.

With Ryan facing a win-or-else scenario in Florham Park, N.J., it's fair to question if he would have been better off stepping aside, but -- love or hate him -- that's not who he is. The Jets face plenty of questions, but this embattled team has a better chance in September with Ryan digging in and manning the controls.

So you want the former DB coach calling the plays then? Or do you want Rex calling the plays on offense? Because this makes total sense to me, unless you're just looking for something to complain about

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Let me guess, you think this is a travesty, right?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    If you don't think that Rex calling the plays is a good thing then you def have a LOW football IQ....it makes too much sense and the fact that he and D Thurman has a great rapport makes it even better. Rex does not have to do ANYTHING in regards of the offense...we now have a more than competent OC. Amazing that you cannot see that.

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Thought Rex Ryan was going to change and become more of a HC, spending more time learning the offensive side of the ball, a shortcoming he has admit needs improvement.

So much for change

With the New York Jets in a state of flux, coach Rex Ryan is returning to his roots.

Despite the presence of newly installed defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, Ryan told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News on Tuesday that he'll take over play-calling duties next season, a responsibility long held by Mike Pettine before he bolted north for the Buffalo Bills.

"Dennis and I worked side-by-side with each other literally for years now," Ryan said at the NFL Annual Meeting in Phoenix on Tuesday. "It's something that we talked about and we want to do. I want Dennis to just be totally involved like he always is, but I'll make the calls (and have) the final say on the calls. But again, the process will be very similar."

Ryan often called plays during his first year with the Jets in 2009. He dialed in third-down defensive calls as recently as last season before handing that over to Pettine. Few dream up better game plans, but Ryan faces complications heading into this campaign. Most of the veteran players he long relied on have been shuffled out of town, and the future of cornerback Darrelle Revis is hazy at best.

With Ryan facing a win-or-else scenario in Florham Park, N.J., it's fair to question if he would have been better off stepping aside, but -- love or hate him -- that's not who he is. The Jets face plenty of questions, but this embattled team has a better chance in September with Ryan digging in and manning the controls.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    And Rex is one of the top defensive minds in football.

Why the f*ck wouldn't you want him calling the plays?

All League
    Let's just all wa8it the year out. Let him do what he wants, say all the stupid things he wants, contradict himself all he wants, call the defense or screw the offense up all he wants, lose all the weight he wants, sniff his wife's feet all he wants, because after the season is over, we are rid of this clown.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Agreed. As much as I dont really like Rex as a HC, for him not to call the defensive plays would be hurting the team even more. You might as well utilize him for what he is best suited for, a defensive coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    Let's just all wa8it the year out. Let him do what he wants, say all the stupid things he wants, contradict himself all he wants, call the defense or screw the offense up all he wants, lose all the weight he wants, sniff his wife's feet all he wants, because after the season is over, we are rid of this clown.
    Thanks for your brilliant analysis, pea brain

Rex is quiet for weeks.

Idzik is introduced and Rex speaks about how he has been humbled and needs to become more of a HC and let his assistant coaches do more all while he learns to be more of a HC and learn the offense and special teams.

Seems like the JETS continue to blow smoke at fans. They continue to lie to their fan base over and over.

I would LOVE for Rex to call the defensive plays if he was the DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR!

Not at the expense of the offense ans special teams.

I dont mind Rex calling the D but, I can see him wanting all the good free agents and draft picks for the defense, while washed up guys, guys of the streets, guys with potential (raw) are for the offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Rex is quiet for weeks.

Idzik is introduced and Rex speaks about how he has been humbled and needs to become more of a HC and let his assistant coaches do more all while he learns to be more of a HC and learn the offense and special teams.

Seems like the JETS continue to blow smoke at fans. They continue to lie to their fan base over and over.

I would LOVE for Rex to call the defensive plays if he was the DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR!

Not at the expense of the offense ans special teams.
    You do realize that both the Tuna and even BB have called plays as HC's?? So did Andy Reid and a bunch of others..

We won a lot of games with him calling plays. We struggled when he didn't. He finally has a true OC that has been a HC before that can handle his side of the ball. This is a good decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Yep.

Besides, it's a collaboration half the time anyway. Even when Pettine was here, Thurman would always be next to Rex on the sideline. It's widely acknowledged that Thurman had some input on the plays, especially on the back end, during his time as DBs coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

What part of the Jets OC hiring did you feel spoke to Rex being more involved on offense? We've seen Rex involved in the offense - it's a joke.

The Jets finally have hired a guy who has had sustained success calling plays for an NFL offense.. an offense that repeatedly ranked in the top 10. - let's keep Rex far, far away from messing with that.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    What part of the Jets OC hiring did you feel spoke to Rex being more involved on offense? We've seen Rex involved in the offense - it's a joke.

The Jets finally have hired a guy who has had sustained success calling plays for an NFL offense.. an offense that repeatedly ranked in the top 10. - let's keep Rex far, far away from messing with that.
    I think we saw last year what happened when Rex had a major say in the offense.

Both the O and the D paid the price.

Rex worry about the D and MM take care of the O - The Jets will be a better team for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FMJets View Post
    I dont mind Rex calling the D but, I can see him wanting all the good free agents and draft picks for the defense, while washed up guys, guys of the streets, guys with potential (raw) are for the offense.
    But we have a actually NFL capable GM who realizes its HIS job to pick the players. Rex has a great eye for raw D talent and I'm sure izdik will call on Rex to give him his take when izdik is ready to draft or sign a D guy..

Undrafted Free Agent

So much for change

Really? I am glad he is planning to call the defense, one of the best there is in the game right now!

All League
    He's in self-preservation mode. If he's not successful this year he's probably
    gone. Therefore he's going down with himself in charge of his strength. No
    big deal, if anything maybe it will help him bench unproductive players.
    Because if ANYONE isn't producing he should quickly pull them otherwise
    it could cost him wins / his job

I don't know. I think you guys are awfully hard on Rex in regards to the offense. It was understood that Rex came from the defensive side of the ball when he got hired to be the HC of the NYJ. He also had Schotty forced on him. It wasn't as though he had a choice in getting who he wanted.

What's more is the complete lack of talent on offense and that doesn't fall on Rex, it falls on the GM.

There's been subtle things that tell me Rex has a little knowledge of offense, like his refusal to start Tim Tebow. He knew Tebow wasn't a QB, just like all of us, so he skipped over him and save the nonsense of completely redesigning the offense to suit what Tebow does well. And that really isn't much when it comes to QB.

I'll admit he leaves a little to be desired when it comes to the offensive side of the ball, but now that he has a great offensive mind in town, give him a chance to see if any of it rubs off on Rex.

So much for change

This is fun. I can't wait to see what you complain about next.

Oh no! A great defensive mind will be calling the defensive plays! The Jets are doomed!