Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rex will call defensive plays

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I don't know. I think you guys are awfully hard on Rex in regards to the offense. It was understood that Rex came from the defensive side of the ball when he got hired to be the HC of the NYJ. He also had Schotty forced on him. It wasn't as though he had a choice in getting who he wanted.

What's more is the complete lack of talent on offense and that doesn't fall on Rex, it falls on the GM.

There's been subtle things that tell me Rex has a little knowledge of offense, like his refusal to start Tim Tebow. He knew Tebow wasn't a QB, just like all of us, so he skipped over him and save the nonsense of completely redesigning the offense to suit what Tebow does well. And that really isn't much when it comes to QB.

I'll admit he leaves a little to be desired when it comes to the offensive side of the ball, but now that he has a great offensive mind in town, give him a chance to see if any of it rubs off on Rex.
    My biggest issue with Rex is that he never held the offense to the same standards that he did the defense. I really think he wanted his team to be all about the defense and when people mentioned the Jets, Rex wanted the defense to be the first thing people thought of. Its the same reason that he constantly mentions and is concerned about the ranking of his defense, even though the TEAM had a sub par record. What other HC brings up the ranking of one of their units like Rex does with his defense?

I know a lot of people hate or want Rex gone. I am glad this is happening because he gave us fans two great years when he did. I hope he does succeed next year and learns from the last two years. He really is a great defensive coach!!

Why should Rex not be calling the plays? Because he is the HEAD coach. If your head coach is thinking about one side of the ball through the whole game then he is not going to be an effective in game decision maker in many cases. There are some exceptions out there but I want my HEAD coach to be thinking about the offense, defense, special teams, time outs, game situations, adjustments to be made at half time in all areas.

In most cases you simply cannot call a game and not be thinking about that part of the game much more than the whole of the game. Ever notice that the Jets call timeout on defense more than most teams it seems?

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Why should Rex not be calling the plays? Because he is the HEAD coach. If your head coach is thinking about one side of the ball through the whole game then he is not going to be an effective in game decision maker in many cases. There are some exceptions out there but I want my HEAD coach to be thinking about the offense, defense, special teams, time outs, game situations, adjustments to be made at half time in all areas.

In most cases you simply cannot call a game and not be thinking about that part of the game much more than the whole of the game. Ever notice that the Jets call timeout on defense more than most teams it seems?
    If you have an elite coordinator that happens to be your hc he should call plays. Sean Payton for example

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Thought Rex Ryan was going to change and become more of a HC, spending more time learning the offensive side of the ball, a shortcoming he has admit needs improvement.

So much for change

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...efensive-plays

With the New York Jets in a state of flux, coach Rex Ryan is returning to his roots.

Despite the presence of newly installed defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, Ryan told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News on Tuesday that he'll take over play-calling duties next season, a responsibility long held by Mike Pettine before he bolted north for the Buffalo Bills.

"Dennis and I worked side-by-side with each other literally for years now," Ryan said at the NFL Annual Meeting in Phoenix on Tuesday. "It's something that we talked about and we want to do. I want Dennis to just be totally involved like he always is, but I'll make the calls (and have) the final say on the calls. But again, the process will be very similar."

It's far from a surprising development.

Ryan often called plays during his first year with the Jets in 2009. He dialed in third-down defensive calls as recently as last season before handing that over to Pettine. Few dream up better game plans, but Ryan faces complications heading into this campaign. Most of the veteran players he long relied on have been shuffled out of town, and the future of cornerback Darrelle Revis is hazy at best.

With Ryan facing a win-or-else scenario in Florham Park, N.J., it's fair to question if he would have been better off stepping aside, but -- love or hate him -- that's not who he is. The Jets face plenty of questions, but this embattled team has a better chance in September with Ryan digging in and manning the controls.
    Your right, I want him calling plays on O and ST too. I have know idea why we even hired coordinators and position coaches...Rex should coach them all after all he is a HEAD coach SMFH

SOJ!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    If you have an elite coordinator that happens to be your hc he should call plays. Sean Payton for example
    As I said, some can handle it others can't. One of the biggest skills a person can have is to delegate and to surround yourself with guys you can trust and know will do the job. If our DC is not capable of calling the plays perhaps he shouldn't be the D coordinator.

If you are calling plays you should be thinking about calling plays all game. Either the head coaching part or the play calling will suffer unless you are the exception.

Thought Rex Ryan was going to change and become more of a HC[/I]
    The above IS the problem you bonehead!

Rex is ANYTHING but a HC and he should stick to the side he knows best...DEFENSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You do realize that both the Tuna and even BB have called plays as HC's?? So did Andy Reid and a bunch of others..
    Nope. That would require putting his agenda aside and understanding the game of football. Rex is one of the best defensive coaches in the entire NFL. In a year where he needs to save his job he's going to do everything he can to make this team compete. There is nothing wrong with this.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 03-26-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Banned
    Thought Rex Ryan was going to change and become more of a HC, spending more time learning the offensive side of the ball, a shortcoming he has admit needs improvement.

So much for change

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...efensive-plays

With the New York Jets in a state of flux, coach Rex Ryan is returning to his roots.

Despite the presence of newly installed defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, Ryan told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News on Tuesday that he'll take over play-calling duties next season, a responsibility long held by Mike Pettine before he bolted north for the Buffalo Bills.

"Dennis and I worked side-by-side with each other literally for years now," Ryan said at the NFL Annual Meeting in Phoenix on Tuesday. "It's something that we talked about and we want to do. I want Dennis to just be totally involved like he always is, but I'll make the calls (and have) the final say on the calls. But again, the process will be very similar."

It's far from a surprising development.

Ryan often called plays during his first year with the Jets in 2009. He dialed in third-down defensive calls as recently as last season before handing that over to Pettine. Few dream up better game plans, but Ryan faces complications heading into this campaign. Most of the veteran players he long relied on have been shuffled out of town, and the future of cornerback Darrelle Revis is hazy at best.

With Ryan facing a win-or-else scenario in Florham Park, N.J., it's fair to question if he would have been better off stepping aside, but -- love or hate him -- that's not who he is. The Jets face plenty of questions, but this embattled team has a better chance in September with Ryan digging in and manning the controls.
    So do you always just quote Mike Francessa when you post on this board or is this just a one time thing? What a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    If you don't think that Rex calling the plays is a good thing then you def have a LOW football IQ....it makes too much sense and the fact that he and D Thurman has a great rapport makes it even better. Rex does not have to do ANYTHING in regards of the offense...we now have a more than competent OC. Amazing that you cannot see that.
    Yes its amazing how Rex has gotten progressively worse each year, admitting that he needs to understand the offensive STs side of the ball more but now reverts back to the same ole glorified defesive coordinator disguised as a HC.

The definition of insanity, continuing to fail at the same thing over and over without changing.

How exactly is Rex changing?

So then what was the press conference about how Rex understood that he needs to let his coached have more responsibility while he gets better at being a HC rather than just focusing on the defense?

How exactly does Rex calling all the plays on defense lend itself to becoming a better HC? Something Rex believes he needs to improve at to make the Jets better.......
    Last edited by copernicus; 03-26-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Banned
    Yes its amazing how the Rex has got progressively worse each year, admitting that he needs to understand the offensive STs side of the ball more but now reverts back to the same ole glorified defesive coordinator disguised as a HC.

The definition of insanity, continuing to fail at the same thing over and over with changing.

How exactly is Rex changing?

So then what was the press conference about how Rex understood that he needs to let his coached have more responsibility while he gets better at being a HC rather than just focusing on the defense?

How exactly does Rex calling all the plays on defense lend itself to becoming a better HC? Something Rex believes he needs to improve at to make the Jets better.......
    Ok, Mike Francessa

Quote Originally Posted by Section 224B View Post
    The above IS the problem you bonehead!

Rex is ANYTHING but a HC and he should stick to the side he knows best...DEFENSE.

So your thinking is that everyone including the JETS believe that Rex is anything but a HC so he should stick to the defensive side of the ball?

I think the JETS are the boneheads

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

All Pro
    Rex is quiet for weeks.

Idzik is introduced and Rex speaks about how he has been humbled and needs to become more of a HC and let his assistant coaches do more all while he learns to be more of a HC and learn the offense and special teams.

Seems like the JETS continue to blow smoke at fans. They continue to lie to their fan base over and over.

I would LOVE for Rex to call the defensive plays if he was the DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR!

Not at the expense of the offense ans special teams.
    Maybe you need to find a new team, it's obvious this team doesn't make you happy.

They're awaiting your arrival over on the Giants forum

So your thinking is that everyone including the JETS believe that Rex is anything but a HC so he should stick to the defensive side of the ball?

I think the JETS are the boneheads
    You actually think? hmm...I suggest you give this book a good reading

Last edited by Section 224B; 03-27-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    As I said, some can handle it others can't. One of the biggest skills a person can have is to delegate and to surround yourself with guys you can trust and know will do the job. If our DC is not capable of calling the plays perhaps he shouldn't be the D coordinator.

If you are calling plays you should be thinking about calling plays all game. Either the head coaching part or the play calling will suffer unless you are the exception.
    The thing is what DC in the league would do a better job at calling plays than Rex? I'm sure if dick labeau was here he'd handle it but the truth is the team right now is better off with Rex in charge of calling the D and leaving the O to the hopefully capable hands of Marty mornhinweg

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You do realize that both the Tuna and even BB have called plays as HC's?? So did Andy Reid and a bunch of others..
    After observing Rex' D coming up small in big moments more than a few times over his tenure, his colossal mis-evaluations of players like Mark Sanchez, John Connor and Maybin, his poor evaluation of Santonio Holmes as a leader by granting him "captain", embarrassing off field moments like cursing out fans multiple times and the foot fetish and you want to compare him to Andy Ried let alone Bill Parcells and Bill Belicheck?

Called plays when the moments calls for it as compared to declaring in March that Rex will be making all the calls on defense?

So you guys have all the patience in the world for Rex to learn on the job as HC and now, arguably, take a step backwards focusing heavily on defense and less on offense and Sts? This, in addition to losing the locker room now two years in a row, embarrassing home defeats from SF and NE, and playing a huge hand in the demise of Mark Sanchez' development.

Yet Mangini was gone almost immediatly after being placed in an almost a no win situation with Favre being forced upon him?

After observing Rex' D coming up small in big moments more than a few times over his tenure, his colossal mis-evaluations of players like Mark Sanchez, John Connor and Maybin, his poor evaluation of Santonio Holmes as a leader by granting him "captain", embarrassing off field moments like cursing out fans multiple times and the foot fetish and you want to compare him to Andy Ried let alone Bill Parcells and Bill Belicheck?

Called plays when the moments calls for it as compared to declaring in March that Rex will be making all the calls on defense?

So you guys have all the patience in the world for Rex to learn on the job as HC and now, arguably, take a step backwards focusing heavily on defense and less on offense and Sts? This, in addition to losing the locker room now two years in a row, embarrassing home defeats from SF and NE, and playing a huge hand in the demise of Mark Sanchez' development.

Yet Mangini was gone almost immediatly after being placed in an almost a no win situation with Favre being forced upon him?
    Rex's D is the reason we won 6 games last year without our best player and the worst LB corps in the league. He called the plays in 09-10 and I don't remember anyone complaining then. Maybe you should just accept the fact we have a defensive coach and have a sandwich for now until he gets fired

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Rex's D is the reason we won 6 games last year without our best player and the worst LB corps in the league. He called the plays in 09-10 and I don't remember anyone complaining then. Maybe you should just accept the fact we have a defensive coach and have a sandwich for now until he gets fired
    Rex Ryan is not the Defensive Co, he is the HC.

His over the top focus on his defense has been extremely detrimental to the demise of the offense and STs

Rex' D gave up the lead in Indy at half and spotted Pitt 24 points in both championship games.

Rex' D didnt show up at home against SF (34 points), Miami (30 points) and NE (49 points)

Rex' D also gave up 27 points at home to a Charger team that had nothing to play for and 28 point to the Bills on the last day of the season.

Can you name a time in the last several years where Baltimore's defense just flat out didnt show up? San Fran?

Im sorry, but great defensive coaches dont have so many examples of their defense not showing up in big moments and enter games

Rex Ryan is not the Defensive Co, he is the HC.

His over the top focus on his defense has been extremely detrimental to the demise of the offense and STs

Rex' D gave up the lead in Indy at half and spotted Pitt 24 points in both championship games.

Rex' D didnt show up at home against SF (34 points), Miami (30 points) and NE (49 points)

Rex' D also gave up 27 points at home to a Charger team that had nothing to play for and 28 point to the Bills on the last day of the season.

Can you name a time in the last several years where Baltimore's defense just flat out didnt show up? San Fran?

Im sorry, but great defensive coaches dont have so many examples of their defense not showing up in big moments and enter games
    Couldn't stop a nose bleed when it mattered. from the Denver game in 2011 forward. If Tebow walks through you.... You are not a well prepared D.