Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rex will call defensive plays

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex calling the defense, eh? If he calls a defense like he selects a starting QB, this is bad news.

Not to mention that effective leaders of men instinctively recognize an opportunity to develop subordinates by giving them some autonomy to produce results. Dennis Thurman, I am sure, is "thrilled."

Money is tight in Jetville. Unload Dennis Thurman. His services are not needed.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Rex Ryan is not the Defensive Co, he is the HC.

His over the top focus on his defense has been extremely detrimental to the demise of the offense and STs

Rex' D gave up the lead in Indy at half and spotted Pitt 24 points in both championship games.

Rex' D didnt show up at home against SF (34 points), Miami (30 points) and NE (49 points)

Rex' D also gave up 27 points at home to a Charger team that had nothing to play for and 28 point to the Bills on the last day of the season.

Can you name a time in the last several years where Baltimore's defense just flat out didnt show up? San Fran?

Im sorry, but great defensive coaches dont have so many examples of their defense not showing up in big moments and enter games
    Yup.

Balt- Houston and the game where Denver absolutely destroyed them.

San Fran- got absolutely destroyed by the Giants in the regular season. Seattle ran right over them too.

Should really do your research before you ask these questions. Not to mention you completely ignore the fact that our offense can't do jack-sh*t with our crappy qbs so our defense is usually gassed before halftime. SF is a perfect example. That was a close game at half. They didnt run away with it until the second half when Sanchez and the rest of the team just kept giving it back. They were embarrassing to watch on 3rd down in that game.

And Miami at home? Really? Your gonna blame that one on the D? Lmao try harder.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 03-26-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Badaxe View Post
    Rex calling the defense, eh? If he calls a defense like he selects a starting QB, this is bad news.

Not to mention that effective leaders of men instinctively recognize an opportunity to develop subordinates by giving them some autonomy to produce results. Dennis Thurman, I am sure, is "thrilled."

I see your still a little butthurt mean ol Rex didn't put in Saint Timmy. Surprised your still here after you got outted as a Denver Bronco fan who only roots for Tebow's team (as long as he is starting, otherwise that team is dumbest team on the planet to you nuts). Sucks that your gonna have to sign up for an arena football team forum once we cut him.

Rex calling the defensive plays is the best thing for this team. He's a great defensive coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Yup.

Balt- Houston and the game where Denver absolutely destroyed them.

San Fran- got absolutely destroyed by the Giants in the regular season. Seattle ran right over them too.

Should really do your research before you ask these questions. Not to mention you completely ignore the fact that our offense can't do jack-sh*t with our crappy qbs so our defense is usually gassed before halftime. SF is a perfect example. That was a close game at half. They didnt run away with it until the second half when Sanchez and the rest of the team just kept giving it back. They were embarrassing to watch on 3rd down in that game.

And Miami at home? Really? Your gonna blame that one on the D? Lmao try harder.
    I disagree with you.... Excellent post, but I disagree. D stats are skewed, we have a topped ranked D but can't stop when it counts.

BUT...you have given me pause.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I disagree with you.... Excellent post, but I disagree. D stats are skewed, we have a topped ranked D but can't stop when it counts.

BUT...you have given me pause.
    I think they were pretty good since they were the only phase playing, O sucked and ST's were poor.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    I see your still a little butthurt mean ol Rex didn't put in Saint Timmy. Surprised your still here after you got outted as a Denver Bronco fan who only roots for Tebow's team (as long as he is starting, otherwise that team is dumbest team on the planet to you nuts). Sucks that your gonna have to sign up for an arena football team forum once we cut him.

Rex calling the defensive plays is the best thing for this team. He's a great defensive coach.
    What up Mogz? Still resorting to hurling insults to make a point, eh? Making yourself look bad in the process. Ryan started the 35th ranked QB in a 32 team league for what, 14 games? Shrewd move indeed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes its amazing how Rex has gotten progressively worse each year, admitting that he needs to understand the offensive STs side of the ball more but now reverts back to the same ole glorified defesive coordinator disguised as a HC.

The definition of insanity, continuing to fail at the same thing over and over without changing.

How exactly is Rex changing?

So then what was the press conference about how Rex understood that he needs to let his coached have more responsibility while he gets better at being a HC rather than just focusing on the defense?

How exactly does Rex calling all the plays on defense lend itself to becoming a better HC? Something Rex believes he needs to improve at to make the Jets better.......
    Do you think Jim Harbaugh is busy telling the DC what plays to run? Or just standing there absorbing the big picture? NO he's probably getting super involved in the offense, like most HCs do with their specialty. You have a schtick second to none.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Why should Rex not be calling the plays? Because he is the HEAD coach. If your head coach is thinking about one side of the ball through the whole game then he is not going to be an effective in game decision maker in many cases. There are some exceptions out there but I want my HEAD coach to be thinking about the offense, defense, special teams, time outs, game situations, adjustments to be made at half time in all areas.

In most cases you simply cannot call a game and not be thinking about that part of the game much more than the whole of the game. Ever notice that the Jets call timeout on defense more than most teams it seems?
    Parcells took the play calling duties away from the OC when he coached the NYJ.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Parcells took the play calling duties away from the OC when he coached the NYJ.
    Yeah, he took them away from Sean Payton as well. Rex is a great defensive coach, Rex usually calls a good game as a defensive coach but he's the head coach.

If you have full confidence that he can call the defense while managing the sidelines, time outs, challenges, deciding on gambles or FG tries etc etc etc great. I don't think he can do justice to both at once. When you are calling plays in game whether it is offense or defense you should be thinking about what you are going to do the next time your unit is out there and what adjustments to make. As in you have to think about it all game long.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i like pot.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Based on what, he got to choose a QB from a list of three who were each incompetent?

Which genius HC coach would have made a better choice than Rex?

Do people think before they whine? Love the idea that Rex left Montana, Elway and Marino on the bench while playing Sanchez.

The thought that Rex should be calling O, or being so involved that he hands off his D to someone else is goofy.

That Rex saying he wants to be more involved in the O, wants his idea of an O implemented taken to mean that he will call the O is dumb or makes you copernicus

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    i like pot.
    If you smoked a joint and bought a lottery ticket and won would that be Pot Luck??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Based on what, he got to choose a QB from a list of three who were each incompetent?

Which genius HC coach would have made a better choice than Rex?

Do people think before they whine? Love the idea that Rex left Montana, Elway and Marino on the bench while playing Sanchez.

The thought that Rex should be calling O, or being so involved that he hands off his D to someone else is goofy.

That Rex saying he wants to be more involved in the O, wants his idea of an O implemented taken to mean that he will call the O is dumb or makes you copernicus
    Maybe if Rex was a real HC he would have recognized how bad his offense and STs were instead of ignoring it all the while patting himself on the back about how great his D was.

Rex D comes up small in big moments time after time.

JETS fans deserve more than having to wait for Rex develop into a real HC.

But real fans know that all Rex is a glorified WWE personality for Woody and his vi$ion of the NFL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex didn't select Mark Sanchez, Mike Tannenbaum did.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    i like pot.
    We know this. It's like asking Sanchez if he likes Brandon Moores ass.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex didn't select Mark Sanchez, Mike Tannenbaum did.
    Head coaches only get credit for selecting players that work out.

Rex didn't select him but he stuck with him through thick and thin and thought he was an all world franchise QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe if Rex was a real HC he would have recognized how bad his offense and STs were instead of ignoring it all the while patting himself on the back about how great his D was.

Rex D comes up small in big moments time after time.

JETS fans deserve more than having to wait for Rex develop into a real HC.

But real fans know that all Rex is a glorified WWE personality for Woody and his vi$ion of the NFL
    What NFL defense comes up in big moments that is completely devoid of pass rushers? Or are you going to blame Rex for that too?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, he took them away from Sean Payton as well. Rex is a great defensive coach, Rex usually calls a good game as a defensive coach but he's the head coach.

If you have full confidence that he can call the defense while managing the sidelines, time outs, challenges, deciding on gambles or FG tries etc etc etc great. I don't think he can do justice to both at once. When you are calling plays in game whether it is offense or defense you should be thinking about what you are going to do the next time your unit is out there and what adjustments to make. As in you have to think about it all game long.
    I guess it really depends on what you think the HC should be doing. I'm fine with Rex leaving the offense to those more qualified to run an offense. It's also another reason why so many enjoy working for him. He treats you like an adult and lets you do your job. I think there's something to be said for that.

When it comes to defense, I believe Rex is just calling the defensive plays until he knows he can trust Dennis Thurman to make the calls. It is Thurman's first go around as a DC.

He also did the same with Mike Pettine until he thought he was ready to take over those duties. I personally do not see anything wrong here. I believe he's managing his staff in a very logical way.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it really depends on what you think the HC should be doing. I'm fine with Rex leaving the offense to those more qualified to run an offense. It's also another reason why so many enjoy working for him. He treats you like an adult and lets you do your job. I think there's something to be said for that.

Unless you are the D coordinator in which case he doesn't treat you like an adult and do your job.

When it comes to defense, I believe Rex is just calling the defensive plays until he knows he can trust Dennis Thurman to make the calls. It is Thurman's first go around as a DC.

He also did the same with Mike Pettine until he thought he was ready to take over those duties. I personally do not see anything wrong here. I believe he's managing his staff in a very logical way.
    Him staying away from the offense is just fine, it's all the other stuff a head coach must do in game that worries me. I made the list in my previous post so i won't repeat it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Head coaches only get credit for selecting players that work out.

Rex didn't select him but he stuck with him through thick and thin and thought he was an all world franchise QB.
    You're not understanding what Rex did. Rex had loyalty to Sanchez only from the standpoint that he wasn't about to throw him under the bus. If he had a better option at QB, Sanchez would have been benched long ago.

Rex stuck with Sanchez because he was in fact the best QB on the roster. I know that is a sad thing to say, but you saw what we had at QB last year. Did you really think McElroy was going to set the world on fire? let alone Tim Tebow?