Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Mr. Jarvis Jones.

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Dominating college is one thing... To be a productive edge rusher in the NFL you need to rely heavily on a certain level of athleticism which is not clear he has. I'm more worried about his pathetic vertical leap than the slow 40 time
    Watch the tape. Jerry Rice ran a slow 40 but that he torched guys on the field. Some dudes just aren't track athletes and they won't shine at the combine. Others are the opposite and will look great on a track but slow on the field.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I guess but if he's small then Mingo is idk what. Yes he ran fast, but I don't see the production. Jones is fast on the field and got to the QB quite a bit in the same conference as Mingo. JMHO though. Mingo definitely could be a player at the next level, I just am not as confident in him as I am in Jones.
    Mingo can cover which is a quality in a LB you really need these days. I get in arguments all the time but it is something they need to do. He is small too but has a lot more you can build on. Better speed and better skills to develop I think you can move him around to multiple roles. Rex likes guys he can move around and assign different role. Mingo remind me more of Suggs in that perspective. With Jones I think you have to set him at the edge and just let him play his game. With his history of injuries I am just hesitant. Because he is a proven pass rusher I actually dont see him getting down to 9 anyway.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Mingo can cover which is a quality in a LB you really need these days. I get in arguments all the time but it is something they need to do. He is small too but has a lot more you can build on. Better speed and better skills to develop I think you can move him around to multiple roles. Rex likes guys he can move around and assign different role. Mingo remind me more of Suggs in that perspective. With Jones I think you have to set him at the edge and just let him play his game. With his history of injuries I am just hesitant. Because he is a proven pass rusher I actually dont see him getting down to 9 anyway.
    Very fair. I think we value players differently, and this is leading to how we see the two. But you definitely are not wrong in your assessment. I guess we'll see draft day... watch we'll draft a CB or something lol

  4. #24
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,231
    My biggest problem with Jones isn't even the athleticism, it's the fact he gets dominated in the run game.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    My biggest problem with Jones isn't even the athleticism, it's the fact he gets dominated in the run game.
    Most edge rushers do. Abe, Mathis, and Babbin where all guys you could run vs all day and they not have one tackle.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    My biggest problem with Jones isn't even the athleticism, it's the fact he gets dominated in the run game.
    Well the thing is, you can get guys like Bryan Thomas who can't be run at. But don't expect them to rush the passer. It is extremely rare to come by a player that can dominate in both aspects on the edge. I think even Ware is not an elite edge setter. A lot of his plays in run D are pursuit into the backfield, ala what Jones did in Georgia to rack up those TFLs.

  7. #27
    @seniorbowl: Cannot dispute J Jones/UGA numbers production, but big night at Mizzou was against backup OT. SEC not loaded with major league OT's in 2012.

    @seniorbowl: Go to http://t.co/Y71wI8ZQz3 and read profile/report on J Jones. Some of success came due to 34 scheme and freeing up on air for sacks. IMO.

    @seniorbowl: @seniorbowl only stating opinions with some facts to support. Not saying J Jones won't be a pro starter in 3-4, just not a top 10 pick.
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-01-2013 at 10:34 PM.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    My biggest problem with Jones isn't even the athleticism, it's the fact he gets dominated in the run game.
    Check and Mate.

  9. #29
    Mingo's draft stock is rising steadily according to the usual talking heads at Nfl.com

    Right now I'd still prefer Jarvis Jones on account of his elite level production and more polished passrush moves. But I wouldn't be heartbroken either with Mingo

  10. #30
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,652
    Images
    142
    I'm a big UGA fan, have watched most of Jarvis Jones' play for the last two years. I love the guy. He's really fun to watch because he is capable of blowing up offenses.

    BUT, he had a strech of games this year where he was a bit dinged up and completely disappeared. Completely.

    That type of performance reminds me of John Abraham. Incredible talent, and you have to cross your fingers that he can bring it at 100% when he shows up, because there seems to be no middle ground.

  11. #31
    It's pretty clear what Jarvis Jones is... And I think he'll succeed in the NFL. The problem is, I see his absolute best case scenario as touching 10 sacks. He's a football player which is important, but the problem is that he lacks that explosive step around the edge. He's very strong for his size and that will never be a problem for him, but the lack of speed around the edge is going to hurt bad...

    And the neck seems like a non-issue... He's not completely unathletic either. Just lack some real explosion up the field.


    Mingo is interesting and I would take him over Jarvis but Mingo is scary as hell. Mingo's floor is a huge bust because he doesn't seem violent enough for the sport. Mingo's ceiling is incredibly high because of the athleticism and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Typically the smarter players figure out how to become good.

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,865
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Vernon Gholston was a no doubter top 10 pick. Jarvis Jones is a top 10 pick, too . . . in the second round.
    I had lots of doubts about Gholston, but it seemed like a reasonable move at the time.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    It's pretty clear what Jarvis Jones is... And I think he'll succeed in the NFL. The problem is, I see his absolute best case scenario as touching 10 sacks. He's a football player which is important, but the problem is that he lacks that explosive step around the edge. He's very strong for his size and that will never be a problem for him, but the lack of speed around the edge is going to hurt bad...

    And the neck seems like a non-issue... He's not completely unathletic either. Just lack some real explosion up the field.


    Mingo is interesting and I would take him over Jarvis but Mingo is scary as hell. Mingo's floor is a huge bust because he doesn't seem violent enough for the sport. Mingo's ceiling is incredibly high because of the athleticism and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Typically the smarter players figure out how to become good.
    if it's close, take mingo. he's 2 years younger, something that isn't discussed.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    My biggest problem with Jones isn't even the athleticism, it's the fact he gets dominated in the run game.
    Didn't notice this post before but it's an absolute lie. Or the person doesn't know what they are looking at.


    Jones is solid against the run despite his size. He brings far more against the run than someone like Mingo does.

    But again, Jones just lacks that first step which would give him that 10+ sack upside. Instead, I see his best year topping out at 10 sacks.

  15. #35
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,231
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Didn't notice this post before but it's an absolute lie. Or the person doesn't know what they are looking at.


    Jones is solid against the run despite his size. He brings far more against the run than someone like Mingo does.

    But again, Jones just lacks that first step which would give him that 10+ sack upside. Instead, I see his best year topping out at 10 sacks.
    He got dominated worse by Alabama than Manti Teo. And if you ever really watched Mingo you would know he is a pretty underrated run defender.

    look for 29, usually on the ground or being pushed like hes on iceskates.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqvHdysqMYs

    They ran at him all day because he is weak at the point of attack.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveh919 View Post
    Could be his agent saying that to reporters. I remember when Terrell Suggs bombed his 40. Scouts said he didn't have enough speed to translate to the NFL.

    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dra...mstring-injury
    And Vernon Gholston killed his combine which has to tell you something - does not mean sh*t especially when evaluating front 7 defensive players. Edge rushing is all about lateral quickness, explosiveness off the snap and technique virtually none of that is tested at the combine. Cone drills? 40 times? Gimme a break.


    That said I still want either Warmack or Star at 9 if one of them falls which is probably going to be the case. Jets need a surefire blockbuster hit with the #9 pick and to me all these OLB's have major question marks.

  17. #37
    @Gil_Brandt: Going to drop Jarvis Jones out of first round. Not sure he's a first-round talent. #NFLDraft.

    @RUSSLANDE: @Gil_Brandt - That is what I have been saying about Jarvis Jones since October. Jarvis Jones is a solid late 2nd / high 3rd round gamble.

    @Gil_Brandt: Since Jarvis tweet, have been called over-the-hill, idiot, much worse. Some have threatened unfollows. Some have told me to "stop flexing."

    @Gil_Brandt: Would have thought I was the one throwing basketballs at players' heads.
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-02-2013 at 06:44 PM.

  18. #38
    Jarvis Jones -- health concerns and all -- is projected by many draft pundits to be one of the first 10 players off the board later this month.

    An outlier of this bunch is NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt, who caused a stir on Twitter on Tuesday with his latest assessment of the Georgia star.


    We decided to give Gil a call because a) we always enjoy hearing stories about the construction of the Dallas Cowboys in the "Mad Men" era and b) we thought more insight was necessary on why Gil is so down on Jones' NFL prospects.

    "I just see him as a one-position player," Brandt said over the phone. "I see him as a guy that's going to play with his hand on the ground and he's going to try hard, and he's going to come close to making sacks, but he's not going to have 14.5 like he did at Georgia."

    After choosing to sit out workouts at the NFL Scouting Combine, Jones underwhelmed at Georgia's pro day.

    "I don't think he can play in space. I don't think he can be a 3-4 'backer that can drop into space and be effective," Brandt went on. "When you see him come from one side and try to chase down a play, he doesn't have that speed that you really need to have to play that position when he's chasing a guy.

    "I think he's one of those guys that when you're rushing the passer, he's going to almost get there, but not quite."

    Brandt added that he he's "probably to harsh" on Jones and added that he believes the linebacker will come off the board in the first round. He's just not Gil's flavor of ice cream.

    Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gn=Twitter_atl
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-02-2013 at 09:35 PM.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @Gil_Brandt: Going to drop Jarvis Jones out of first round. Not sure he's a first-round talent. #NFLDraft.

    @RUSSLANDE: @Gil_Brandt - That is what I have been saying about Jarvis Jones since October. Jarvis Jones is a solid late 2nd / high 3rd round gamble.

    @Gil_Brandt: Since Jarvis tweet, have been called over-the-hill, idiot, much worse. Some have threatened unfollows. Some have told me to "stop flexing."

    @Gil_Brandt: Would have thought I was the one throwing basketballs at players' heads.
    If Jarvis Jones is there for us in the 2nd round Idzik better put on a ski mask, steal him and run.

  20. #40
    @nfl: .@MoveTheSticks says Jarvis Jones is still a 1st Rd. pick, despite 'poor workouts': http://t.co/P2JDRkesOL #NFLDraft

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us