Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Mr. Jarvis Jones.

  1. #1
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens NY
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mr. Jarvis Jones.

    hear he's not the most athletic guy. Also heard he bombed his pro day.
    had two great years even while dealing with the spinal issue

    Yet, I still see red flags.

    Please shine some light onon this guy... I know he will be on the board @ 9

    And a 4.90, 40 yard dash at his pro day?!??

  2. #2
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Rumor was he was hurt for his pro day

    Could be his agent saying that to reporters. I remember when Terrell Suggs bombed his 40. Scouts said he didn't have enough speed to translate to the NFL.

    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dra...mstring-injury

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,144
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveh919 View Post
    Could be his agent saying that to reporters. I remember when Terrell Suggs bombed his 40. Scouts said he didn't have enough speed to translate to the NFL.

    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dra...mstring-injury
    Except the big difference is that Suggs is around 35 pounds heavier than Jones.

  4. #4
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens NY
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like
    The list goes on, lazy, doesn't stop the run.....hates the gym?

  5. #5
    All League
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    3,926
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clearly Vernon Ghloston was a much better prospect.........

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd rather Mingo or Datone Jones. Mingo is faster and has more 3-4 like experience then Jarvis. If we go that rough I'd rather Mingo. Datone Jones IMO has the biggest upside of the DE/OLB class. Not the proven edge rusher Jordan is but has all the moves just needs a little coaching up. I am not sold on Werner or Ansah being all that.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'd rather Mingo or Datone Jones. Mingo is faster and has more 3-4 like experience then Jarvis. If we go that rough I'd rather Mingo. Datone Jones IMO has the biggest upside of the DE/OLB class. Not the proven edge rusher Jordan is but has all the moves just needs a little coaching up. I am not sold on Werner or Ansah being all that.
    Didn't Jarvis Jones play in a 3-4? How does Mingo have more experience? Honest question, not trying to be sarcastic.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paradis
    I'm not trying to be combative, but the points you're using to illustrate your thinking - are razor thin and flawed. There's a ton of examples of guys who timed slow, and played huge. A boat load that timed fast and played slow. Etc etc. Jones can play OLB. if you don't think that - switch to another sport.

    The reality is @ 9 - you work with what you got. Patterson? Hell no. Have you actually watched a full game of his?? Or just youtube highlights... Landry Jones... Landry freaking Jones?? Dude, why are we even having this conversation.

    The value at 9 is D-lin/OLB/OG. It is what it is. ...I know people here want Offense (so do I) but the way this team's built this year - it's not in the cards to go chasing unicorn quarterbacks, and make-belief Wide receivers... Build up the trenches, fortify the walls, and then we can go balls out in that department next year.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paradis
    I'm not trying to be combative, but the points you're using to illustrate your thinking - are razor thin and flawed. There's a ton of examples of guys who timed slow, and played huge. A boat load that timed fast and played slow. Etc etc. Jones can play OLB. if you don't think that - switch to another sport.

    The reality is @ 9 - you work with what you got. Patterson? Hell no. Have you actually watched a full game of his?? Or just youtube highlights... Landry Jones... Landry freaking Jones?? Dude, why are we even having this conversation.

    The value at 9 is D-lin/OLB/OG. It is what it is. ...I know people here want Offense (so do I) but the way this team's built this year - it's not in the cards to go chasing unicorn quarterbacks, and make-belief Wide receivers... Build up the trenches, fortify the walls, and then we can go balls out in that department next year.
    If Paradis is saying go defense/guard, that's all anyone really needs to hear. The man has pounded his fist on the table year after year for playmakers. In his heart he always wants more of them. So for him to say go defense, this year is meh in the high rounds on offense skill players, says a lot IMHO

  10. #10
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Jones is 245 lbs and coming out as a junior.

    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Except the big difference is that Suggs is around 35 pounds heavier than Jones.

    Suggs plays at 260 lbs. Jarvis Jones should be 255 lbs after a few years in the NFL. Size isn't his problem. I wouldn't take him at 9 although I think he is gonna be a helluva player.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CR8ZMIKE View Post
    The list goes on, lazy, doesn't stop the run.....hates the gym?
    Yeah leading the league in tackles for loss and blowing the doors of other high prospects in that regard is 'not stopping the run'.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveh919 View Post
    Suggs plays at 260 lbs. Jarvis Jones should be 255 lbs after a few years in the NFL. Size isn't his problem. I wouldn't take him at 9 although I think he is gonna be a helluva player.
    How does this make sense? He's going to be a hell of a player in a position of real need and we are going to let him go to some team in the late teens or 20's who will laugh all the way to the bank.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    How does this make sense? He's going to be a hell of a player in a position of real need and we are going to let him go to some team in the late teens or 20's who will laugh all the way to the bank.
    This.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Clearly Vernon Ghloston was a much better prospect.........
    Vernon Gholston was a no doubter top 10 pick. Jarvis Jones is a top 10 pick, too . . . in the second round.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Didn't Jarvis Jones play in a 3-4? How does Mingo have more experience? Honest question, not trying to be sarcastic.
    Dont know why but I was thinking he still played for USC. Just seems small and slow for a 3-4 pro OLB to me. LSU has ran 3-4 formations sense 09 but they dont run it every down. Mingo looks good when they do. Or the guy on the other end in GA Ogletree

  16. #16
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    464
    Post Thanks / Like

    i dont want any one on this team .......

    Quote Originally Posted by CR8ZMIKE View Post
    hear he's not the most athletic guy. Also heard he bombed his pro day.
    had two great years even while dealing with the spinal issue

    Yet, I still see red flags.

    Please shine some light onon this guy... I know he will be on the board @ 9

    And a 4.90, 40 yard dash at his pro day?!??

    that slow, I don't care who it is. were they not calling for the head of what's he name the middle lb for being slow. now why would you want to draft a slow one.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,996
    Post Thanks / Like
    God forbids this happens. If so, then the Jets, FO etc deserve whatever fate befalls them.

    Typical SOJF thinking - the solution to our needs in right in front of us available at our pick and they blink, doubts creep in, balls drop etc

    This guys was extremely productive and dominated elite college opposition... For God's sake pick the man

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,729
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    God forbids this happens. If so, then the Jets, FO etc deserve whatever fate befalls them.

    Typical SOJF thinking - the solution to our needs in right in front of us available at our pick and they blink, doubts creep in, balls drop etc

    This guys was extremely productive and dominated elite college opposition... For God's sake pick the man
    Dominating college is one thing... To be a productive edge rusher in the NFL you need to rely heavily on a certain level of athleticism which is not clear he has. I'm more worried about his pathetic vertical leap than the slow 40 time

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Dont know why but I was thinking he still played for USC. Just seems small and slow for a 3-4 pro OLB to me. LSU has ran 3-4 formations sense 09 but they dont run it every down. Mingo looks good when they do. Or the guy on the other end in GA Ogletree
    I guess but if he's small then Mingo is idk what. Yes he ran fast, but I don't see the production. Jones is fast on the field and got to the QB quite a bit in the same conference as Mingo. JMHO though. Mingo definitely could be a player at the next level, I just am not as confident in him as I am in Jones.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,996
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Dominating college is one thing... To be a productive edge rusher in the NFL you need to rely heavily on a certain level of athleticism which is not clear he has. I'm more worried about his pathetic vertical leap than the slow 40 time
    Look at the game film he's got heaps of explosion and plays faster than his time. He's dominated elite college nfl ready talent consistently throughout his college career. If you want a fast worjout warrior pick Jason Worilds from the Steelers and watch him jump out of swimming pools

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us