Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: John Idzik's Patience is Killing Me!!!

  1. #1
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like

    John Idzik's Patience is Killing Me!!!

    I know John Idzik is doing the right things: Signing free agents who are willing to accept reasonable deals now, waiting for the price to come down on the others, holding out for an offer for Revis that is good enough. It's a smart approach, and it gives me hope that Idzik may be the man to turn things around here.

    On the other hand, as a fan he's killing me.

    It's been a while since we signed Goodson, Garay, and Colon (moves I liked, by the way). I keep checking, multiple times a day, to see what JI's next move will be. Did we finally sign Dawan Landry? Or Kevin Kolb? Or someone else who will fill a hole, or provide competition at a weak position in our lineup? Have we finally gotten a 2013 first-rounder and 2014 high-rounder for Revis?

    Instead, all I find are the following: Kellen Davis signs with the Browns. The Giants re-sign Kevin Boothe. Heyward-Bey is visiting the Colts. Victor Butler is visiting the Browns and Eagles. These aren't household names to begin with, but in this "diamond in the rough" mode we're in, these are actually players I wanted to see join our team.

    Where have you gone, John Idzik? Jets Nation turns it's lonely eyes to you!

    I guess the good news is, if Idzik's patience is driving me crazy, just imagine what it's doing to the Bucs, Revis, and Revis's agents.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,824
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    I know John Idzik is doing the right things: Signing free agents who are willing to accept reasonable deals now, waiting for the price to come down on the others, holding out for an offer for Revis that is good enough. It's a smart approach, and it gives me hope that Idzik may be the man to turn things around here.

    On the other hand, as a fan he's killing me.

    It's been a while since we signed Goodson, Garay, and Colon (moves I liked, by the way). I keep checking, multiple times a day, to see what JI's next move will be. Did we finally sign Dawan Landry? Or Kevin Kolb? Or someone else who will fill a hole, or provide competition at a weak position in our lineup? Have we finally gotten a 2013 first-rounder and 2014 high-rounder for Revis?

    Instead, all I find are the following: Kellen Davis signs with the Browns. The Giants re-sign Kevin Boothe. Heyward-Bey is visiting the Colts. Victor Butler is visiting the Browns and Eagles. These aren't household names to begin with, but in this "diamond in the rough" mode we're in, these are actually players I wanted to see join our team.

    Where have you gone, John Idzik? Jets Nation turns it's lonely eyes to you!

    I guess the good news is, if Idzik's patience is driving me crazy, just imagine what it's doing to the Bucs, Revis, and Revis's agents.
    Great post, I have embraced his change so much in other posts I can't start complaining now.

    Glad you said it for me, it's driving me ****in mad!

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    2,324
    Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly dont think the cupboard is a empty has many people do. Yes we have some obvious holes but we arent terrible.

    I think this entire team, like most, hinges on the QB play this year. If we get the same time of play as last year we will be in big trouble.

    If we can get decent play from whoever at QB and not turn the ball over we could make a run at the playoffs late in the season.

    Idzik had/has a mess on his hands and has said he will build through the draft as he should.

    If you look at the rest of the league right now no one is really sign guys. Its a slow year and a buyers market right now. My hope is we get Landry and maybe Kolb as you mentioned but for the most part we should just start counting the days until the draft.

    To me Safety is the only real need right now before the draft.

  4. #4
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,174
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tannenbaum's and Rex's IMpatience killed us all.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    I know John Idzik is doing the right things: Signing free agents who are willing to accept reasonable deals now, waiting for the price to come down on the others, holding out for an offer for Revis that is good enough. It's a smart approach, and it gives me hope that Idzik may be the man to turn things around here.

    On the other hand, as a fan he's killing me.

    It's been a while since we signed Goodson, Garay, and Colon (moves I liked, by the way). I keep checking, multiple times a day, to see what JI's next move will be. Did we finally sign Dawan Landry? Or Kevin Kolb? Or someone else who will fill a hole, or provide competition at a weak position in our lineup? Have we finally gotten a 2013 first-rounder and 2014 high-rounder for Revis?

    Instead, all I find are the following: Kellen Davis signs with the Browns. The Giants re-sign Kevin Boothe. Heyward-Bey is visiting the Colts. Victor Butler is visiting the Browns and Eagles. These aren't household names to begin with, but in this "diamond in the rough" mode we're in, these are actually players I wanted to see join our team.

    Where have you gone, John Idzik? Jets Nation turns it's lonely eyes to you!

    I guess the good news is, if Idzik's patience is driving me crazy, just imagine what it's doing to the Bucs, Revis, and Revis's agents.
    How much money do you think the Jets actually have left to sign free agents? They have roughly 8.5 million left. Factor in about 5.2 million for rookies and that leaves approx. 3 million for other FAs.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we're just about done folks.

    ...i'd like to see them wrap up Butler though if possible.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,212
    Post Thanks / Like
    One move I'd really like him to make is to cut Tebow, the sooner he's off the team the better.

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also remember there will be vet cuts both after the draft as well as going into the season and the final roster cut downs. It's here we may find some affordable short term solutions as well as some more veteran leadership for our younger players.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,686
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    One move I'd really like him to make is to cut Tebow, the sooner he's off the team the better.
    at this point I'd rather see them get rid of Suckchez. We know what he has to offer and its not much. His salary is hurting us in addition. We can always make Tebow a fullback. All we can do with Sucky is make him hold the clipboard for 8.2 million! No way! Of course it would be nice if the new OC can help straighten out Sucky.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is not a matter of patience. It is a matter of playing the cards he was dealt. There isn't much money to spend and this year will be his honeymoon year and he will evaluate the roster.

    The clock starts in 2014.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    at this point I'd rather see them get rid of Suckchez. We know what he has to offer and its not much. His salary is hurting us in addition. We can always make Tebow a fullback. All we can do with Sucky is make him hold the clipboard for 8.2 million! No way! Of course it would be nice if the new OC can help straighten out Sucky.
    The Jets do not have enough cap room to cut Sanchez, you dont grasp this concept this very well do you? You realize it costs an EXTRA 4.3 million to cut him dont you???

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,632
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The Jets do not have enough cap room to cut Sanchez, you dont grasp this concept this very well do you? You realize it costs an EXTRA 4.3 million to cut him dont you???
    Not necessarily, we can push the additional to 2014 as a June 1 cut. Sanchez cut would be serious addition by subtraction. It would set a new tone for this team.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Forked River, NJ
    Posts
    4,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    It hurts so good!

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    at this point I'd rather see them get rid of Suckchez. We know what he has to offer and its not much. His salary is hurting us in addition. We can always make Tebow a fullback. All we can do with Sucky is make him hold the clipboard for 8.2 million! No way! Of course it would be nice if the new OC can help straighten out Sucky.
    The problem with that is that Sanchez, if cut, costs $4.3m cap hit plus $17.1M in dead money in 2013 as Sec mentioned.

    Tebow, on the otherhand, is only a $1.5 cap hit and SAVES $1m on the cap.

    No GM in their right mind would cut Sanchez and keep Tebow for financial reasons alone.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Not necessarily, we can push the additional to 2014 as a June 1 cut. Sanchez cut would be serious addition by subtraction. It would set a new tone for this team.
    But it doesnt save you anything this year. It just adds to the hit next year. Why do that? Its not like Sanchez is an a hole, he just isnt very good right now.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,948
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    How much money do you think the Jets actually have left to sign free agents? They have roughly 8.5 million left. Factor in about 5.2 million for rookies and that leaves approx. 3 million for other FAs.
    We can spend a tad more remember you have to cut guys to put those draft picks on the roster. Either Berry or Lankaster gets cut to save 700k. So your getting about 3.5 mil back after the fact. We also still have Harris who can be reworked if need of cut if the right guy is there in the draft. So really he has around 7-11 mil to still spend on FAs if he wants. If we landed Fred Davis and Landry I wouldnt be shocked if they just cut Harris and drafted anther MLB in the 2nd or 3rd. That way we'd still have a 4-5 mil buffer going into the year. The thing is if he is trading Revis figure that is 4 mill. Or if you cut Sanchez that is 4 mil more. I think he is just trying to leave that option open right now. I just wish he'd cut Sanchez and let all this Revis trade BS end.

  17. #17
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    471
    Post Thanks / Like

    for once the jets seem to have a game plan in place.................

    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    I know John Idzik is doing the right things: Signing free agents who are willing to accept reasonable deals now, waiting for the price to come down on the others, holding out for an offer for Revis that is good enough. It's a smart approach, and it gives me hope that Idzik may be the man to turn things around here.

    On the other hand, as a fan he's killing me.

    It's been a while since we signed Goodson, Garay, and Colon (moves I liked, by the way). I keep checking, multiple times a day, to see what JI's next move will be. Did we finally sign Dawan Landry? Or Kevin Kolb? Or someone else who will fill a hole, or provide competition at a weak position in our lineup? Have we finally gotten a 2013 first-rounder and 2014 high-rounder for Revis?

    Instead, all I find are the following: Kellen Davis signs with the Browns. The Giants re-sign Kevin Boothe. Heyward-Bey is visiting the Colts. Victor Butler is visiting the Browns and Eagles. These aren't household names to begin with, but in this "diamond in the rough" mode we're in, these are actually players I wanted to see join our team.

    Where have you gone, John Idzik? Jets Nation turns it's lonely eyes to you!

    I guess the good news is, if Idzik's patience is driving me crazy, just imagine what it's doing to the Bucs, Revis, and Revis's agents.
    instead of just making additions for you sexy players people out there sake. who will be asking for their heads later in the year. or picking up some one to make headlines or to out shine the other local team. they seem to have a strategy, like not over paying for anyone, building thru the draft my favorite, not panicking and letting the fa market come to them, similar to what bill belichek and new England does. only going after street fa so as to get high comp picks that you guys wonder why we never get each year, also like new England does. being patient may pay off for them this year and it will hopefully start a new trend in new York that will pay off in the long run, like building thru the draft, not over paying for big ticket fa, put being able to plug anyone into your system once you have it going right. all of that takes time and the right person to began. one thing I would do to save money if I was a owner is fire all the cheerleaders. that seems to be a waste of money to me...............

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennesawjet View Post
    instead of just making additions for you sexy players people out there sake. who will be asking for their heads later in the year. or picking up some one to make headlines or to out shine the other local team. they seem to have a strategy, like not over paying for anyone, building thru the draft my favorite, not panicking and letting the fa market come to them, similar to what bill belichek and new England does. only going after street fa so as to get high comp picks that you guys wonder why we never get each year, also like new England does. being patient may pay off for them this year and it will hopefully start a new trend in new York that will pay off in the long run, like building thru the draft, not over paying for big ticket fa, put being able to plug anyone into your system once you have it going right. all of that takes time and the right person to began. one thing I would do to save money if I was a owner is fire all the cheerleaders. that seems to be a waste of money to me...............

    Clearly you don't know marketing. The cheerleaders have a lot more of an impact than you think. They participate in events that raise money and awareness for charities. They also give young girls someone to look up to in a Jets uniform and anytime you can gain fans, its a good thing. Finally, most of the cheerleaders have real jobs and they get part-time money for this gig. They can't make anything over 15k a season.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    35,705
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    One move I'd really like him to make is to cut Tebow, the sooner he's off the team the better.
    ^ This, although I can wait until after the draft.

    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Tannenbaum's and Rex's IMpatience killed us all.
    ^ Definitely this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    It hurts so good!
    ^ And that!

  20. #20
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennesawjet View Post
    instead of just making additions for you sexy players people out there sake. who will be asking for their heads later in the year. or picking up some one to make headlines or to out shine the other local team. they seem to have a strategy, like not over paying for anyone, building thru the draft my favorite, not panicking and letting the fa market come to them, similar to what bill belichek and new England does. only going after street fa so as to get high comp picks that you guys wonder why we never get each year, also like new England does. being patient may pay off for them this year and it will hopefully start a new trend in new York that will pay off in the long run, like building thru the draft, not over paying for big ticket fa, put being able to plug anyone into your system once you have it going right. all of that takes time and the right person to began. one thing I would do to save money if I was a owner is fire all the cheerleaders. that seems to be a waste of money to me...............
    "you sexy players people"? I said I liked the Goodson, Garay, and Colon signings. Were they "sexy"? Or were they good, cheap signings with upside? I'll take a couple more of those, please - preferably at the OLB and S positions so we don't go into the draft with any gaping holes that we feel pressured to fill.

    I think you misinterpreted my post. If I wasn't clear enough, I'll say it this way: I love what Idzik is doing so far. As Tom Petty said though, the waiting is the hardest part. There are cheap, UNsexy players out there who can still help us, but I guess we need to suck it up as fans and just wait until they fall into our lap at a better price (or don't) - knowing that it's what's best for the team.

    Until then (or the Revis trade, or the draft, whichever comes first), I guess we'll just have to kick around the same 5 threads at the top of message board.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us