Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Idzik's Patience is Killing Me!!!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    It hurts so good!
    You got that right, John Cougar!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have to save money for the Revis cap hit if traded as well as the rookies we draft. he may be low balling the players he's talking to now, knowing the veterans cut will be looking for new homes. Let everyone else use up their cap money so we have some at the end of the day when decent unsigned players are looking for a place to play at any price. can't say that's the plan, but it seems plausible given our situation.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    But it doesnt save you anything this year. It just adds to the hit next year. Why do that? Its not like Sanchez is an a hole, he just isnt very good right now.
    I could make several arguments why you would release Sanchez:

1. Team chemistry. While not a bad guy, Sanchez is not beloved by his teammates and is arguably a negative influence on the team. Good evidence of this was the way that the offense perked up when he was finally pulled from a game.

2. Protects Rex from himself. Rex is blindly loyal to "his guys". He will want Sanchez to start regardless of performance in TC. This could be really bad for morale

3. Precedent The new theme of competition always would be instantly reinforced by the release of a clearly underperforming player, one who most players will assume will be defaulted to the starting role

4. Fresh start He is terrible. To be honest, I do not want any young QB to be influenced by Sanchez.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

2. Protects Rex from himself. Rex is blindly loyal to "his guys". He will want Sanchez to start regardless of performance in TC. This could be really bad for morale.
    I don't know why many of you continue to believe this BS. If you saw Rex after the last few games Mark played in and the looks Mark was getting from the HC, you would all know Rex is so over Mark. Rex is not the type of person that will ever throw one of his players under the bus. Yet, I got hundred bucks that says in closed company Rex is singing a different tune.
    Rex is not going to bet his coaching career on the play of Mark Sanchez after watching what has taken place last season, a complete meltdown from the QB spot.
    I look for DG or Kolb to be the starter by opening day with Mark as the backup. An if by some miracle Mark is the starter don't think for one minute that Rex won't pull his ass and let him ride the pine. This is why we will have backup who can actual play.
    Last edited by fltflo; 03-26-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

hey, im on your side...........

Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    "you sexy players people"? I said I liked the Goodson, Garay, and Colon signings. Were they "sexy"? Or were they good, cheap signings with upside? I'll take a couple more of those, please - preferably at the OLB and S positions so we don't go into the draft with any gaping holes that we feel pressured to fill.

I think you misinterpreted my post. If I wasn't clear enough, I'll say it this way: I love what Idzik is doing so far. As Tom Petty said though, the waiting is the hardest part. There are cheap, UNsexy players out there who can still help us, but I guess we need to suck it up as fans and just wait until they fall into our lap at a better price (or don't) - knowing that it's what's best for the team.

Until then (or the Revis trade, or the draft, whichever comes first), I guess we'll just have to kick around the same 5 threads at the top of message board.
    agreed in principle..............

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get why Idzik isn't taking the Bucs 1st and 2nd rounders in 2014. That is the draft you want to have the Ammo to move up and grab Bridgewater, Clowney or Manzeil... Or we suck and the Bucs suck so bad in 2013 that we draft 2 outta the 3!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    I don't know why many of you continue to believe this BS. If you saw Rex after the last few games Mark played in and the looks Mark was getting from the HC, you would all know Rex is so over Mark. Rex is not the type of person that will ever throw one of his players under the bus. Yet, I got hundred bucks that says in closed company Rex is singing a different tune.
    Rex is not going to bet his coaching career on the play of Mark Sanchez after watching what has taken place last season, a complete meltdown from the QB spot.
    I look for DG or Kolb to be the starter by opening day with Mark as the backup. An if by some miracle Mark is the starter don't think for one minute that Rex won't pull his ass and let him ride the pine. This is why we will have backup who can actual play.
    Really? I don't see that at all. I see a guy who's QB was playing so horrendously that he had to remove him, but in the end he is still his guy and the one that Rex wants out there.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's constant talks everyday but things don't start moving until it gets closer to draft day. Guys are testing the market and are afraid to be the first one to make a move and low-ball themselves. Teams want to see the market for players and players want to see what they can get. Every team is trying to get the best value for their draft picks and see where they are trying to trade up,down etc. A lot of college players are still being evaluated as well so team's boards aren't even close to set yet. Tampa is probably trying to see if they can get a pick or 2 back from another outlet before they give up anything. There's 32 teams man and they are all talking to each other. If Tampa is dealing with the Jets now about Revis they are also dealing with 16 other teams to try and trade off one of their players for a pick or see if they can bring in another player at a position they needed filled at round 1 or 2. Makes sense ... if you're going to go CB and OL in the first 2 rounds if you can bring in a legit O Linemen whether thru trade or sign it makes it easier to then trade a 1st and either 2nd or 3rd for Revis cause you pretty much got what you were hoping for on draft day anyway. This is a process and not an easy one.

My advice for your daily routine until a couple of days before draft day is .. drink some chamomile tea, watch your favorite shows straight thru from season 1 again, and get laid as much as possible.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

1. Team chemistry. While not a bad guy, Sanchez is not beloved by his teammates and is arguably a negative influence on the team. Good evidence of this was the way that the offense perked up when he was finally pulled from a game.

2. Protects Rex from himself. Rex is blindly loyal to "his guys". He will want Sanchez to start regardless of performance in TC. This could be really bad for morale

3. Precedent The new theme of competition always would be instantly reinforced by the release of a clearly underperforming player, one who most players will assume will be defaulted to the starting role

4. Fresh start He is terrible. To be honest, I do not want any young QB to be influenced by Sanchez.
    Not sure why we didn't hire this genius ... He'd leave us in even better cap flexibility than Tanny did. Woody look for this man!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You dislike having a smart, methodical GM?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    My advice for your daily routine until a couple of days before draft day is .. drink some chamomile tea, watch your favorite shows straight thru from season 1 again, and j*rk it as much as possible.
    Fixed

Ljr

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    at this point I'd rather see them get rid of Suckchez. We know what he has to offer and its not much. His salary is hurting us in addition. We can always make Tebow a fullback. All we can do with Sucky is make him hold the clipboard for 8.2 million! No way! Of course it would be nice if the new OC can help straighten out Sucky.
    We have a vested interest in Sanchez. We are into that money whether he's here or not. Yes it's likely he does not improve, I get that. But to trash him today means we're selling our stock at zero. There is no loss to us to keep him the extra year. If he continues to suck he'll be worth zero next year. He can't hurt us any further. Tebow on the other hand saves up 2.5 million if we cut him now. And I don't know where you get the notion that "at least we can make Tebow a FB". Ummm, based on what exactly? The fact he has the size to be a Fullback? So do I, you wanna plug me in at FB?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    I don't get why Idzik isn't taking the Bucs 1st and 2nd rounders in 2014. That is the draft you want to have the Ammo to move up and grab Bridgewater, Clowney or Manzeil... Or we suck and the Bucs suck so bad in 2013 that we draft 2 outta the 3!
    First, we don't know if that offer is true.

Second, if it is, Idzik likely believes that the Jets need more than just 2014 help. The team needs picks in both the 2013 and 2014 draft to rebuild.

It's a bad trade for the Jets to not get immediate help in addition to next year's picks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    March 29th, 2013

We asked Jets Nation’s Brian Custer what he thought the best Jets off-season move was. Here is his response…

To me, John Idzik is their best off-season signing.

The guys that he’s brought in have that Seattle-mentality. ‘Churn and burn’ type guys, or guys who might be coming off injuries and may be cheap. They can get them in there and they can perform for them, and you can build from there.

At least now you’re going to have a GM in there who is going to replenish the cupboard. And then, more importantly, is going to have some financial restraint to get this organization back where it needs to be.

Mike Tannenbaum was just giving out so many big contracts, which is why they’re in the situation they’re in. Tannenbaum was going after some of these guys — high priced free agents at the ends of their careers — which hurts you financially. Idzik isn’t going to do that.

He’s going to promote competition, which they need. They need to keep guys on their toes, they need to keep the guys looking over their shoulders saying, ‘I need to be on my best, every day.’ They need to get younger.

And you have to that and still have some financial restraints. The Jets need to get to where when they need a guy, you say ‘OK, we have the money to do it.’

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Link: Idzik’s No Babe in the Woods
    Brian Bassett, theJetsBlog.com

Don Banks writes an opinion piece about the Revis trade on Sports Illustrated and there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of sources and news, but Banks just tries to reason through the situation and what’s best for all involved.

In it, Banks notes that he’s personally acquainted with Idzik, and knows the Jets new GM will be as judicious as he can be while doing what’s best for the club.

He may be playing it quiet and coy for the most part, but I know new Jets general manager John Idzik enough to know he fully realizes the position he’s in, and will undertake the most sensible and intelligent way to approach the end game with Revis. With no chance of putting the genie fully back in the bottle in terms of their disgruntled star cornerback, the Jets really only have one good option here: Make their best possible deal with the Bucs in the coming days, and move on. Preferably before both Revis and the Jets have to deal with the messy and unnecessary charade of him returning to the team complex to continue his knee rehab next week.

It’s good to know that Banks thinks highly of Idzik and his ability to handle this situation.

Revis might become a free agent in a year’s time, but the Bucs see the value in acquiring him this year and know that pairing him with Dashon Goldson will be give them a major upgrade. Doctors will need to be involved in any trade for Revis and keeping that under raps so might be tough as that all plays out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik's performance since being hired is making it more and more likely that the Jets hit at least a triple in the search and signing process this time

1. Jettisoned a bunch of cap eating dead wood -- Scott, Smith, Pace, Thomas, Pouha etc with the only really meaningful loss to date being Landry who wasn't worth the millions he wanted and was a one year rental. Reasonably priced replacements in FA might be just as good or better

2. Revitalized the coaching staff with the firing or Moron-o and the departure of Unnamed Sources Pettine, also Sutton who should have been fired when Herman departed Kept Rex who is a very good football coach

3. Signed Garrard as a veteran stopgap QB. I might have preferred Moore, but Garrard, if healthy might turn out to be more than just a stopgap and for more than just this season. Allows the Jets to leave the Tiajuana Turnover Machine on the bench or inactive for the entire 2013 season so he can't be out there losing game after game after game after game for the Jets as he did the last two seasons.

4. Hasn't pissed away a single draft pick, tannenbaum style and the likelihood is that he will be adding a couple of good quality picks to the mix when the Revis negotiations are concluded, Sticking to his promise that draft picks are precious assets not to be thrown away acquiring Teblows or given away to coaches as penny candy

5. Has only two items left on the agenda before the end of the draft.. First, completing the Revis trade and adding high draft picks in 13 and/or 14 to the mix. Second, ridding the Jets forever of the stench of Teblow (and all his nauseating fanboys)

Based on performance so far, the upcoming season and the long term future of the Jets is beginning to look not nearly as bleak as our resident blowhard(s) make it seem

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Revis deal should be done before the draft adding to the draft harvest Idzik has for 2013, maybe also 2014

with that done, only one thing needs to be done before the Chiefs are on the clock

Flush Tebow down the drain

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    While, I am very encouraged by what I see from Idzik so far, I think much of what he has done would have been done by any decent GM. Although I am optimistic that the Jets made a good choice, I think it's too soon to throw accolades his way. His draft picks will tell us much more about his philosphy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    the Revis deal should be done before the draft adding to the draft harvest Idzik has for 2013, maybe also 2014

with that done, only one thing needs to be done before the Chiefs are on the clock

Flush SANCHEZ down the drain
    fixed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez and Teblow are both equally moot for this season.

Garrard will be the starting QB with McElroy the backup

Sanchez will be the number 3 unless he shows Morningwheg that he can occasionally find the right color jerseys and lose the confused hangdog look. If that happens he can backup Garrard before he is released at seasons end

Thankfully that POS Teblow won't be part of any Jet discussion after about.2 more weeks at most