Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: active gay nfl player considering coming out in 2013.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Im going with Vernon Davis. Owns an art gallery and does interior decorating on the side.
    He did come across that way on some show I'd seen on him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Which is just why someone would come out....so someday the ridicule "or worse" will end.
    We accept you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which is just why someone would come out....so someday the ridicule "or worse" will end.
    Easier said than done.

I think people say things bc they think it is the right thing to say but how they feel is totally different. I suspect this is the case with many of the players that claim a gay player would be no big deal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    We accept you.
    YOU accept him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Easier said than done.

I think people say things bc they think it is the right thing to say but how they feel is totally different. I suspect this is the case with many of the players that claim a gay player would be no big deal.
    of course it's not easy. It's never been easy. But because a lot of courageous people have, we all now know someone gay and realize its no big deal.

it may be hard but some people are up for it and wouldn't consider it a "mistake" no matter the consequences.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cue the Brady jokes.

On a serious note....Does anyone even care anymore?
    Insecure men care.

Insecure men are the bane of modern society. Think of a social injustice, crazy tyrant, oppression, or abuse of power and manipulation of citizens, and you are sure to find an insecure man behind it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    of course it's not easy. It's never been easy.
    are you coming out of the closet here?

spit it out

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vince Young isn't active.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Itzik can sign 53 gay guys to the roster for all I care!!! As long as they have the talent and skill to contend for a championship, I could care less about their personal lives. I just want a winner.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    This movement has gained a lot of momentum lately. I don't think it's a huge issue. Personally, I don't really support gay "marriage" per se, although I think civil unions should be allowed and every right granted to straight married people should be given to gay people forming civil unions (beneficiaries, adoption, estate planning, etc.). In other words, I think the term "marriage" should continue to be reserved for only a man and a woman, but maybe that's just a religious/terminology thing stuck in my head. Gay people and couples should have every right that straight people have including protection from discrimination, etc. So I'm hoping that a NFL player coming out is really just a non-event.
    This sounds like a weird contradiction. You are willing to give them the benefits of marriage, but not the terminology? I dont get it. If there was a god who cared he wouldnt have made gay people. Simple as that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    I suspect NFL players as a group are not as forward thinking as some of you believe. IMO, any player that comes out prior to retiring is making a VERY BIG mistake and subjecting himself to ridicule and worse. Some things are better left unsaid.
    Yep, many NFL players are total jackasses that never matured past a 10th grade level. It's still very important that somebody comes out. I'm guessing that many of his teammates already have an idea.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Stevan Ridley

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    are you coming out of the closet here?

spit it out

His favorite Whitesnake song!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I think you contradict yourself here bud.
    By reserving one thing for one group and not another, one group does not have every right that the other has.
    Okay bud, I think I was pretty clear in how I explained it. There are certain things that you simply will never be able to give gay couples, like the ability to create a human being between the two of them, no matter how hard we legislate and how many rights we try to give them to ensure equality. How do you ensure that they get "every right"?

I simply think marriage should be between a man and woman. Just my opinion. I'm for "portable civil unions" between gay couples since most civil unions are based on states rights, and I think they should transit across state borders.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 03-26-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    of course it's not easy. It's never been easy. But because a lot of courageous people have, we all now know someone gay and realize its no big deal.

it may be hard but some people are up for it and wouldn't consider it a "mistake" no matter the consequences.
    You know, we're still waiting for you to come out

...as a closeted Jets fan.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    You ever seen a US map colored red and blue?
    You see those guys in the red?
    Alot of them seem to care, ALOT.
    Other than their baseless homophobia, I have no idea why.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you'd consider yourself "blue"?? (Just a wild guess.)
    The fact is, I'll be glad when someone "comes out" so we can stop talking about such a ridiculous issue. He won't be brave, he won't be a trailblazer, he'll just be gay. I don't give a rat's ass, nor does 98% of football players and fans. Can he play football? That's the only thing that matters. All this moralizing and preaching bugs the crap out of me. I don't give a damn who he wants to have sex with, and frankly I'm tired of talking about it. Man up and get the hell out of the closet or shut the f*** up already.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cue the Brady jokes.

On a serious note....Does anyone even care anymore?
    Only those that support rights like that do!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay bud, I think I was pretty clear in how I explained it. There are certain things that you simply will never be able to give gay couples, like the ability to create a human being between the two of them, no matter how hard we legislate and how many rights we try to give them to ensure equality. How do you ensure that they get "every right"?
    Well a woman who is unable to conceive cant have a baby either, that doesn't mean that she is being denied a right. But she can still get married. You can give her that right, so why can't you give it to two guys?
    Your point is like saying there's inequality because I have blue eyes and someone else has brown.

But back on the ranch, I was just going on what you said:

Gay people and couples should have every right that straight people have including protection from discrimination...
    By having a different term (civil unions/marriage) for what you say should be the same thing, that's discrimination, I believe. I think it's a lot like Brown v Board of Ed.
    By being separate they aren't equal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Larry Fitzgerald

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreemanMC View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you'd consider yourself "blue"?? (Just a wild guess.)
    The fact is, I'll be glad when someone "comes out" so we can stop talking about such a ridiculous issue. He won't be brave, he won't be a trailblazer, he'll just be gay. I don't give a rat's ass, nor does 98% of football players and fans. Can he play football? That's the only thing that matters. All this moralizing and preaching bugs the crap out of me. I don't give a damn who he wants to have sex with, and frankly I'm tired of talking about it. Man up and get the hell out of the closet or shut the f*** up already.
    Interestingly enough no, I have no political affiliation. I've voted for both parties.
    I just thought I was stating the obvious. Meant to be a little tongue in cheek in response to FF2.
    If anything I like Matt Stone of South Park's philosophy on politics:
    "I hate conservatives, but I really fukking hate liberals."
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 03-27-2013 at 12:10 AM.