Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: active gay nfl player considering coming out in 2013.

active gay nfl player considering coming out in 2013.

A gay, active NFL player is considering coming out of the closet before 2013 season starts: report

Although a number of NFL players have identified themselves as gay after retirement, this athlete would continue to play, the CBSSports.com report says.

By Michael O'keeffe / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Retired NFL player Scott Fujita says the news of a gay NFL player coming out of the closet will make more news outside the locker room than inside it.

NFL locker rooms were once a hotbed of anti-gay sentiment — with many players remaining silent, or nodding in agreement, while stars such as Reggie White, Jeremy Shockey and Garrison Hearst made anti-gay slurs.

Things have changed: A number of NFL players and executives, including Giants co-owner Steve Tisch, have submitted a brief in support of gay marriage to the United States Supreme Court, which is hearing oral arguments this week on California's Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriage, and the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which defined marriage as a heterosexual union.

RELATED: NINERS WOULDN'T WELCOME GAY PLAYER: CULLIVER

Now, according to a CBSSports.com report, a gay — but still closeted — active NFL player is considering coming out in the next few months.

Although a number of NFL players have identified themselves as gay after retirement, this athlete would continue to play, the report says.

RELATED: CULLIVER'S ANTI-GAY RANT DOESN'T SURPRISE RAVEN

Nick Wass/AP

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo is a vocal supporter of gay rights.

CBSSports.com NFL writer Mike Freeman writes that current and former players have told him that the player is not worried about the reaction of teammates. But he is worried about an ugly — and possibly violent — homophobic fan backlash.

"I honestly think the players of the NFL have been ready for an openly gay player for quite some time now," free-agent linebacker Scott Fujita told Freeman. “Trust me, the coming out of a player would create much bigger waves outside the locker room than inside.

RELATED: SMITH: MANY IN NFL LOCKER ROOMS ARE IN FOR BIG SURPRISE

"The way I've seen the conversation around LGBT issues evolve, especially in the past few years, has been encouraging. Guys are more accepting than they used to be. Even those who raise personal objections to homosexuality, some of whom are good friends of mine, would still be able to coexist and accept a gay teammate," added Fujita, who has played for Kansas City, Dallas, Cleveland and New Orleans.

Freeman said his sources have so far refused to identify the player who may come out.

RELATED: RELIGION STANDS IN WAY OF OPENLY GAY NFLER: EX-QB

There has never been an openly gay man on the roster of any major league professional team. But several athletes, including the NFL's Esera Tuaolo, the NBA's John Amaechi and Major League Baseball's Glenn Burke came out after retirement.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2Oh0Zlfdo

Cue the Brady jokes.

On a serious note....Does anyone even care anymore?

If he can help the pass rush or Not turn the ball over....

Sign this Beast!!!!

It's 2013...who cares.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Gay football players, no way really?

So is Mark going to out Brey when he comes out?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Cue the Brady jokes.

Tom Brady does.....he hopes he's the next center.

Practice Squad
    ha gaaaaayy

Jets Insider VIP
    This movement has gained a lot of momentum lately. I don't think it's a huge issue. Personally, I don't really support gay "marriage" per se, although I think civil unions should be allowed and every right granted to straight married people should be given to gay people forming civil unions (beneficiaries, adoption, estate planning, etc.). In other words, I think the term "marriage" should continue to be reserved for only a man and a woman, but maybe that's just a religious/terminology thing stuck in my head. Gay people and couples should have every right that straight people have including protection from discrimination, etc. So I'm hoping that a NFL player coming out is really just a non-event.

Hall Of Fame

active gay nfl player considering coming out in 2013.

Why would this guy announce that he might announce that he is gay? Sounds like an attention whore to me.

I think we should offer up some guesses. Might be fun to see who gets it right.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Why would this guy announce that he might announce that he is gay? Sounds like an attention whore to me.

I think we should offer up some guesses. Might be fun to see who gets it right.
    Tim Tebow

Undrafted Free Agent
    Flacco

Was there really any doubt?

Hall Of Fame
    Im going with Vernon Davis. Owns an art gallery and does interior decorating on the side.

and

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

Was there really any doubt?

http://www.terezowens.com/dirty-sanchez-on-the-prowl/

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Cue the Brady jokes.

You ever seen a US map colored red and blue?
    You see those guys in the red?
    Alot of them seem to care, ALOT.
    Other than their baseless homophobia, I have no idea why.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    You ever seen a US map colored red and blue?
    You see those guys in the red?
    Alot of them seem to care, ALOT.
    Other than their baseless homophobia, I have no idea why.
    Its a shame they haven't evolved as fast as Barry and Hillary.

Save this stuff for the politics forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    In other words, I think the term "marriage" should continue to be reserved for only a man and a woman, but maybe that's just a religious/terminology thing stuck in my head. Gay people and couples should have every right that straight people have including protection from discrimination, etc.
    I think you contradict yourself here bud.
    By reserving one thing for one group and not another, one group does not have every right that the other has.

All League
    I suspect NFL players as a group are not as forward thinking as some of you believe. IMO, any player that comes out prior to retiring is making a VERY BIG mistake and subjecting himself to ridicule and worse. Some things are better left unsaid.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Its a shame they haven't evolved as fast as Barry and Hillary.

Save this stuff for the politics forum.
    Sorry, my statement wasn't meant to be political guy. I though it was moreso common sense.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 03-26-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Eggshells everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    I suspect NFL players as a group are not as forward thinking as some of you believe. IMO, any player that comes out prior to retiring is making a VERY BIG mistake and subjecting himself to ridicule and worse. Some things are better left unsaid.
    Which is just why someone would come out....so someday the ridicule "or worse" will end.