Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Victor Butler leaves Eagles without a contract (But then signs with Saints)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Victor Butler leaves Eagles without a contract (But then signs with Saints)

Whatís the deal with this guy?
    I heard a while back that the Jets were interested. Heís visited several teams, still no deal. Do the Jets have a chance?
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ut-a-contract/

Linebacker Victor Butler certainly canít be accused of not taking his time in free agency.

Itís increasingly looking like he can be accused of asking for more money than teams are willing to pay him, though. Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Butlerís visit with the Eagles has wrapped up without the two sides agreeing to terms on a contract. Butler took a physical and thereís reportedly ďstill mutual interestĒ in signing.

Thatís pretty much what weíve heard after Butlerís other visits this month. Heís gone to see the Steelers, Browns and Saints and his departure always comes with a note that a dealís still possible, but Butlerís still a free agent. That suggests that heís not willing to sign for what the teams have offered or at least heís not willing to sign until heís quite sure that no oneís offering him a better deal.

We donít know of any other scheduled visits, which should mean that Butlerís going to be settling for one of these offers sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by crasherino; 03-28-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    This guy's looking like the Tom Gamble of players.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    hes waiting for the call from idzik/rex/woody to seal the deal hopefully.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    He probably is just looking for more than teams are willing to dish out. He's been around but it doesn't seem like the Jets are in contention.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is looking for the best deal, getting to know the coaches etc.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    This guy's looking like the Tom Gamble of players.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post
    He probably is just looking for more than teams are willing to dish out. He's been around but it doesn't seem like the Jets are in contention.
    Yep, this guy is not necessary for the Jets. If we get him good, otherwise there's heaps of prospects in the draft

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Yep, this guy is not necessary for the Jets. If we get him good, otherwise there's heaps of prospects in the draft
    He's playin teams of against each other, clearly goin to the highest bidder. I don't thin Idzik will even entertain gettin into a bidding war for him.

I've warmed to the Barnes signing now as a situational pass rusher anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is more about the amount of years on the contract than it is the yearly compensation. Most FAs that are available right now are going to get one year deals, we are at that point in free agency. Butler is probably looking for a longer commitment, but teams are not wanting to give him his asking price for several seasons.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
    Nice pickup in New Orleans: Saints plan to sign Cowboys LB Victor Butler.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott dierking II View Post
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
    Nice pickup in New Orleans: Saints plan to sign Cowboys LB Victor Butler.
    I liked the sound of Butler, and I think we still need another OLB, but the writing was probably on the wall when we signed Barnes. There was an early rumor that we were interested in Butler, but to my knowledge we never even scheduled a visit with him. I think the Jets know that, based on who's worthy of the #9 pick, they may very well end up taking an OLB there (Jordan, Mingo, et al). And paying Butler, Barnes, and a high draftee all at the same position wouldn't make sense in a cap-strapped year. Oh well.