Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Barkley

All Pro

Matt Barkley

I want to go on record before tomorrow's proday . I think Matt Barkley is everything Jet fans were hoping Mark Sanchez would be. With that said, i want to say that i would not consider him for the Jets. I happen to think he would excel in the WCO but not the scheme MM ran in Philly.

The games Barkley had vs Stanford tells me all I need to know about the guy. He and Luck was like Ali vs Frazer or Bird vs Magic. Can not wait to see them face off again. Not sure who will have the guts to take a USC QB this year. Fact is it just doesn't llok like teams that have taken USC or ND guys will be going after him so it will be a thin field for him IMO. I think someone is going to be getting a bargain with him as a late 2nd right now. He will likely end up in Dallas as their future.

Prediction: Barkley "wows" at his Pro Day tomorrow.

Why?

Because I don't know if I've ever heard of a top 3 round QB not "wowing" at his Pro Day. Scripted crap in t-shirt and shorts.

Like him or dislike him, fine. I just ask for one thing, guys: Don't alter your opinion on him after tomorrow because it means very little aside from a health standpoint (i.e. his shoulder).

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Prediction: Barkley "wows" at his Pro Day tomorrow.

Why?

Because I don't know if I've ever heard of a top 3 round QB not "wowing" at his Pro Day. Scripted crap in t-shirt and shorts.

Like him or dislike him, fine. I just ask for one thing, guys: Don't alter your opinion on him after tomorrow because it means very little aside from a health standpoint (i.e. his shoulder).
    It mainly helps the smaller names. It is nice to see them healthy as much as possible before you draft them. I think Matt Scott's pro day push was deserved. Very few where on him early on now I think he is on pretty much everyone must look at list. But yeah you should be able to complete 99.9% of your passes vs air.

All Pro
    Waay too much is made of how many balls these QBs complete in these exercises or in the case of who supports them at these exercises(as was the case with the Jets and Sanchez) and not is made of the players ability to throw the ball with volocity and accuracy to all areas of the field.

If you're running a WCO, watching a QBs feet and eyes as he drops from center is far more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Waay too much is made of how many balls these QBs complete in these exercises or in the case of who supports them at these exercises(as was the case with the Jets and Sanchez) and not is made of the players ability to throw the ball with volocity and accuracy to all areas of the field.

If you're running a WCO, watching a QBs feet and eyes as he drops from center is far more important.
    I guess McElroy is our man then.

I'll gladly take a chance on Barkley in the 3rd or 4th round at the earliest.

You have to take a gamble on a QB, but not in the first 64 picks, at least.

He's no certain pick, but neither is any other QB.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I'll gladly take a chance on Barkley in the 3rd or 4th round at the earliest.

You have to take a gamble on a QB, but not in the first 64 picks, at least.

He's no certain pick, but neither is any other QB.
    This right here...if he's still around in the 3rd or 4th - which I highly doubt - I'd take a flyer.

But there's just too much bad tape on him out there. I listened to a very good critical analysis of him last night by a big USC supporter. Made very relevant points that Barkley did his worst in his biggest games. His numbers in the last half of the season were significantly worse than in the first half of the season against lesser opponents.

In essence, this guy had one great year at USC (2011) and three "meh" years.

He will not be a "franchise" QB in the NFL. Here's to hoping the Bills waste pick #8 on him.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    This right here...if he's still around in the 3rd or 4th - which I highly doubt - I'd take a flyer.

But there's just too much bad tape on him out there. I listened to a very good critical analysis of him last night by a big USC supporter. Made very relevant points that Barkley did his worst in his biggest games. His numbers in the last half of the season were significantly worse than in the first half of the season against lesser opponents.

He will not be a "franchise" QB in the NFL. Here's to hoping the Bills waste pick #8 on him.
    it would be a shame if the jets spent another high pick on a qb with obvious physical limitations. if he played for a team like illinois he would not be in a first round conversation.

and i think the bills are lying low, fully intending to draft nassib in the first. he's the qb i'd like the jets to get but he's not getting past the bills at 8.

Which bad big games are you referencing?

He struggled vs Stanford this year but played great against them the previous 2 seasons (6 tds 1 int combined)

He threw for 484 and 5 tds this year vs Oregon and 323 with 4 tds and 1 isn't the previous year.

He won his only bowl game which was as a frosh

This is why he is a great value in the 2nd. So many people are on the Barkley hate bandwagon and there is nothing, aside from "not a strong arm" to back it up

Hall Of Fame
    The best thing I can say about Barkley is that he stood by USC after the sanctions came down and went back to school to finish his career with his teammates. That does say something about his character.

He is not big, does not have a big arm and can make some poor decisions sometimes ....

I wouldn't take him before the 3rd but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go int he top half of the first round. There are always teams that will reach for a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The best thing I can say about Barkley is that he stood by USC after the sanctions came down and went back to school to finish his career with his teammates. That does say something about his character.

He is not big, does not have a big arm and can make some poor decisions sometimes ....

I wouldn't take him before the 3rd but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go int he top half of the first round. There are always teams that will reach for a QB.
    Not big - he's the same height as RGIII, and 1/2 inch shorter then teddy bridge water.

He's taller then Brees and Andy dalton, and 1/2 an inch shorter then jay cutler

He measured 6'2 1/2. That is more then tall enough for the NFL and weighs about 230 - size is not an issue with him

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Which bad big games are you referencing?

He struggled vs Stanford this year but played great against them the previous 2 seasons (6 tds 1 int combined)

He threw for 484 and 5 tds this year vs Oregon and 323 with 4 tds and 1 isn't the previous year.

He won his only bowl game which was as a frosh

This is why he is a great value in the 2nd. So many people are on the Barkley hate bandwagon and there is nothing, aside from "not a strong arm" to back it up
    2009 6-1 record through 10/24 with 7 TDs 5 Int; after 10/24 3-3 with 8 TDs 9 Ints

2010 5-2 record through 10/16 with 20 TDs 4 Ints; after 10/16 3-2 record with 6 TDs 8 Ints

2011 - Great Year - no doubt

2012 6-1 record through 10/20 with 22 TDs 6 Ints; after 10/20 1-3 record with 14 TDs 9 Ints

Come late October (and usually when USC faced the better competition) Barkley was a combined 7-8 with 28 TDs and 26 Ints.

If that doesn't say "meh" I'm not sure what does.

If you're gonna draft a QB in the top 10 - he has to perform better than that.

2009 6-1 record through 10/24 with 7 TDs 5 Int; after 10/24 3-3 with 8 TDs 9 Ints

2010 5-2 record through 10/16 with 20 TDs 4 Ints; after 10/16 3-2 record with 6 TDs 8 Ints

2012 6-1 record through 10/20 with 22 TDs 6 Ints; after 10/20 1-3 record with 14 TDs 9 Ints

Come late October (and usually when USC faced the better competition) Barkley was a combined 7-8 with 28 TDs and 26 Ints.

Just so the facts are on the table.

His 2012 "after 10-20" record included a 62-51 loss to Oregon, a 39-36 loss to Arizona and a 38-28 loss to ucla. Not sure but you prob want to look at the defense in those games.

All of his pre- October date stats you mention include the Stanford games.

In 2010 he was injured in the loss vs Oregon st and didnt play vs ND so I'm not sure why we would discredit him for a loss he didn't play in.

Not big - he's the same height as RGIII, and 1/2 inch shorter then teddy bridge water.

He measured 6'2 1/2. That is more then tall enough for the NFL and weighs about 230 - size is not an issue with him
    the problem with barkley on the jets is that his arm isn't much better than chad's was when he was drafted. if he loses anything on his fastball he's limited. throw in windy weather and games at buff and NE, along with an already severely injured shoulder, and it just doesn't make sense to draft him. barkley would be best in a dome or a west coast team like the raiders where he can play in better conditions.

Hall Of Fame

I didn't say size was an issue. He has enough size to play. But he is not big.

Believe I see Jets Dir of college scouting Jeff Bauer, QB Coach David Lee and another guy with a Jets logo, most likely a scout, on USC the sidelines.
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-27-2013 at 04:38 PM.

@mortreport: Watching Matt Barkley at USC include #Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie, #Jaguars HC Gus Bradley and OC Jedd Fisch & #Jets QB coach David Lee.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Great shot in your sig.

@TonyPauline: Matt Barkley/QB/USC pro-day: good not great...struggled w/accuracy further out to the flanks or downfield he passed the ball- still my #2 QB