Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Barkley

if we take barkley say the 2nd round (because he wont be around past our 2nd) we cant in reality pick another qb for atleast the next 3 years. We would have to commit to him, cant just pick him let him play in a preseason game or 2 and say "nah lets pick another qb early next year" Then come next year we will see a better crop of qbs pass though what should be our many high picks next yr assuming we trade Revis for 14 picks. Id rather wait and see what we can get next year.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    if we take barkley say the 2nd round (because he wont be around past our 2nd) we cant in reality pick another qb for atleast the next 3 years. We would have to commit to him, cant just pick him let him play in a preseason game or 2 and say "nah lets pick another qb early next year" Then come next year we will see a better crop of qbs pass though what should be our many high picks next yr assuming we trade Revis for 14 picks. Id rather wait and see what we can get next year.
    I would have to disagree. We could take a QB in the second round with the intention of sitting him this year. If the team is bad enough to be picking in the top 3 picks next year - it tells me this:

We would have had to play the rookie at least 3 or 4 games (if the team starts out with 2 or 3 wins out of the first 12 games it would be coish not to give the rookie a chance. So we would have an idea of what he is.

Plus, look at Carolina. Took Claussen and then the next draft took Cam Newton. If we took Barkley and he is fairly decent, we could trade him down the road if we are fortunate enough to get Bridgewater or Manziel.

All Pro
    This kid is gonna get drafted by the Arizona Cardinals and he's gonna battle for the starting Job.

@nfl: Scout: Matt Barkley's arm strength similar to @Bengals' Andy Dalton: http://t.co/ShrYT9Epw0

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    This kid is gonna get drafted by the Arizona Cardinals and he's gonna battle for the starting Job.
    Hopefully. Sounds like he put on a safe showing today, low risk throws, didn't throw anything deep for fear of his inability to drive the ball.

Polar opposite of Glennon, who wasn't scared... wanted to showcase his arm for scouts, take chances...

I dont care what anyone says, this guy is 100% not a good fit for the Jets.
    haven't felt this strongly against a college QB who potentially could be a Jet since Sanchez.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...7049--nfl.html

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Barkley does not have the arm to run Arian's offense. Barkley didnt do anything today to help himself, in fact he looked pretty average.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Barkley does not have the arm to run Arian's offense. Barkley didnt do anything today to help himself, in fact he looked pretty average.
    OK, but he's going to get drafted by the Cardinals.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Yes, that's what I've been reading too.
    He was polished as expected, but didn't show a lot of arm.

People talk about wasting a pick on some of these other riskier QBs...
    I find it far more disconcerting to waste a pick on average at best qb like Barkley and be stuck with him. we've already been there/done that...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Hopefully. Sounds like he put on a safe showing today, low risk throws, didn't throw anything deep for fear of his inability to drive the ball.

Polar opposite of Glennon, who wasn't scared... wanted to showcase his arm for scouts, take chances...

I dont care what anyone says, this guy is 100% not a good fit for the Jets.haven't felt this strongly against a college QB who potentially could be a Jet since Sanchez.

I agree, he's a horrible fit for the Jets, the Bills or the Eagles.

I dont care what anyone says, this guy is 100% not a good fit for the Jets.
    haven't felt this strongly against a college QB who potentially could be a Jet since Sanchez.

So now we are judging glennon vs barkley off their pro day.

Glennon "wasnt scared" - what a huge inference.

First off, glennon should drive as many throws in his workout as possible because that is all he can do - throw hard and far.

Barkley not only doesnt possess a vertical arm, but he is coming off an injury, why would he try to do too much?

A workout is the last place that Barkley can show his skill set - and for everyone on here to go crazy about his lack of arm is ridiculous. He did exactly what he should have today.

Yes, that's what I've been reading too.
    He was polished as expected, but didn't show a lot of arm.

People talk about wasting a pick on some of these other riskier QBs...
    I find it far more disconcerting to waste a pick on average at best qb like Barkley and be stuck with him. we've already been there/done that...
    Player 1
    Tends to pat the ball before starting throwing motion. Gets ball out quickly once he's made a decision. Big hands for frame and can pump the ball without losing grip. Average to slightly above average overall arm strength.

Misses the strike zone on occasion and deep accuracy is especially inconsistent but timing is above average and can pound the strike zone when gets into a rhythm and has clear sight line. Hits receivers in stride when gets a clear passing window. Accurate rolling right and left.

Player 2
    Overall accuracy is good. Consistently hits the mark with short-to-intermediate throws. Shows excellent touch and placement with shallow crosses, slants and seam routes. Frequently leads receivers to maximize yards after the catch. Also shows ability to deliver an accurate ball when feet are not set and off-balance. Deep accuracy still needs improving. Deep ball has a tendency to hang in the air at times.

Possesses a quick over-the-top to release and flashes ability to change release point if need be. Arm strength is adequate. Does not have prototypical capabilities to drive the ball and stretch the field vertically as a Joe Flacco or Ben Roethlisberger. However, did show ability to make all the necessary NFL type throws including getting good velocity on deep out throws from opposite hash.

Those are scouting reports for 2 players who each had over 40 college starts and were lauded for their preparedness, leadership, intangibles and in game ability.

QB in the NFL has never been about arm strength, yes a player like chad post injury simply cant succeed, but brees has a SB, Dalton has made the playoffs twice in his career, matt hasselbeck played in a SB and multiple pro bowls.

Oh, and the above scouting report that I compared to barkley is russel wilson, guess he was somewhat successful as a pro?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    So now we are judging glennon vs barkley off their pro day.

Glennon "wasnt scared" - what a huge inference.

First off, glennon should drive as many throws in his workout as possible because that is all he can do - throw hard and far.

Barkley not only doesnt possess a vertical arm, but he is coming off an injury, why would he try to do too much?

A workout is the last place that Barkley can show his skill set - and for everyone on here to go crazy about his lack of arm is ridiculous. He did exactly what he should have today.
    I judge them based on what I've seen on game day and how I think they will project as pro's.

The biggest concern with Barkley is his limited physical tools.

It was thought that now that he's healthy, he would show a better arm than most were expecting at his pro day.

And while he might jot have hurt his draft status, he certaintly didn't do anything to improve it either.

Player 1
    Tends to pat the ball before starting throwing motion. Gets ball out quickly once he's made a decision. Big hands for frame and can pump the ball without losing grip. Average to slightly above average overall arm strength.

Misses the strike zone on occasion and deep accuracy is especially inconsistent but timing is above average and can pound the strike zone when gets into a rhythm and has clear sight line. Hits receivers in stride when gets a clear passing window. Accurate rolling right and left.

Player 2
    Overall accuracy is good. Consistently hits the mark with short-to-intermediate throws. Shows excellent touch and placement with shallow crosses, slants and seam routes. Frequently leads receivers to maximize yards after the catch. Also shows ability to deliver an accurate ball when feet are not set and off-balance. Deep accuracy still needs improving. Deep ball has a tendency to hang in the air at times.

Possesses a quick over-the-top to release and flashes ability to change release point if need be. Arm strength is adequate. Does not have prototypical capabilities to drive the ball and stretch the field vertically as a Joe Flacco or Ben Roethlisberger. However, did show ability to make all the necessary NFL type throws including getting good velocity on deep out throws from opposite hash.

Those are scouting reports for 2 players who each had over 40 college starts and were lauded for their preparedness, leadership, intangibles and in game ability.

QB in the NFL has never been about arm strength, yes a player like chad post injury simply cant succeed, but brees has a SB, Dalton has made the playoffs twice in his career, matt hasselbeck played in a SB and multiple pro bowls.

Oh, and the above scouting report that I compared to barkley is russel wilson, guess he was somewhat successful as a pro?
    I could post scouting reports of Brady and Glennon and they too might be similar, but I'm not sure what it proves...

Part (the big part) of what makes Russell Wilson good is something Barkley doesnt have... Great athleticism+ability to scramble.

You name one QB who has an average arm (but insane anticipation) in Brees who won a Superbowl... But you fail to mention that he's an exception, not the rule... The other last 10 or so Superbowls were all won by the other elite qb's in the league - all with big time arms... Rodgers, Flacco, Eli, Ben R., Brady, Peyton, etc...

Can a guy succeed with a pee shooter, sure... Is it as likely though? Nope.

@RUSSLANDE: Just spoke to NFL source who was at USC Pro Day & said he laughs at reports that Barkley struggled - Said Barkley had good all-around day.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He won't make it into the 2nd round ... Little less 3rd or 4th

Regardless, i don't want him on my team

Ljr
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 03-28-2013 at 08:08 AM.

I could post scouting reports of Brady and Glennon and they too might be similar, but I'm not sure what it proves...

Part (the big part) of what makes Russell Wilson good is something Barkley doesnt have... Great athleticism+ability to scramble.

You name one QB who has an average arm (but insane anticipation) in Brees who won a Superbowl... But you fail to mention that he's an exception, not the rule... The other last 10 or so Superbowls were all won by the other elite qb's in the league - all with big time arms... Rodgers, Flacco, Eli, Ben R., Brady, Peyton, etc...

Can a guy succeed with a pee shooter, sure... Is it as likely though? Nope.
    I think the comment that its harder to succeed without a strong arm is very true but we also can't discount the number of players with big arms that couldn't make it due to accuracy, intangibles Etc.

I think the comment that its harder to succeed without a strong arm is very true but we also can't discount the number of players with big arms that couldn't make it due to accuracy, intangibles Etc.
    Yes, but the difference is..

Just because you have a strong arm doesn't mean you'll succeed

But if you don't have a strong arm you're almost certain not to.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I would have to disagree. We could take a QB in the second round with the intention of sitting him this year. If the team is bad enough to be picking in the top 3 picks next year - it tells me this:

We would have had to play the rookie at least 3 or 4 games (if the team starts out with 2 or 3 wins out of the first 12 games it would be coish not to give the rookie a chance. So we would have an idea of what he is.

Plus, look at Carolina. Took Claussen and then the next draft took Cam Newton. If we took Barkley and he is fairly decent, we could trade him down the road if we are fortunate enough to get Bridgewater or Manziel.
    I keep seeing people use these examples such as the Carolina one as something we should strive to emulate. It's the exact opposite. They should not have taken clausen and still taken Newton and they would have been much better off. All the idea of taking Qb's in round 2 and saying you can always draft a guy higher next year does is dilute your team talent pool because although QB is the most important position on the team you need talnet in other areas. What Carolina did was a mistake. If you draft a guy in the top two rounds one year and then draft another guy in the next year or even two you have made a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I keep seeing people use these examples such as the Carolina one as something we should strive to emulate. It's the exact opposite. They should not have taken clausen and still taken Newton and they would have been much better off. All the idea of taking Qb's in round 2 and saying you can always draft a guy higher next year does is dilute your team talent pool because although QB is the most important position on the team you need talnet in other areas. What Carolina did was a mistake. If you draft a guy in the top two rounds one year and then draft another guy in the next year or even two you have made a mistake.
    with qbs, i think it's ok. look at what washington did last year. they got criticized for taking cousins in the 4th round after trading so many picks for rg3, yet they actually needed cousins last year and could need him this year. bottom line, you really never have enough quality qbs.

i don't like barkley as a pro prospect, i think he's too average in too many areas and isn't a great fit in a cold weather offense. i don't think he's much like sanchez in terms of his mental makeup, but if the jets are going to take a guy who doesn't have ideal measurables, i'd rather the guy have some zip on the short/intermediate throws, like a wilson or nassib. take the guy with some upside, at least.

Too small, no mobility, arm doesn't "wow" me. No thanks.