Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Revis and the Jets

All League

Question about Revis and the Jets

If the Jets fail to trade him or sign him to an extension now or after the season and he walks - should the Jets be held accountable via the media and fan base because they didn't get any compensation from him as an asset? Even if the Bucs only offered 2014 picks (which I would want compared to this year) isn't that better than receiving nothing? And a year later no matter what the Jets do this year next year we will be on the market for a franchise QB. So while Idzik is holding out for the best offer he can get, if he doesn't get anything and Revis walks will the Jets continue to be the laughing stock of the NFL?...via the press at least?

Hall Of Fame
    Yes.

If Revis walks after this year it should be and will be considered a failure by Idzik.

However, I think the chances of that happening are slim.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

The Jets moved up to draft Revis, developed him, and he's likely a future Hall of Famer...yeah, that would look really bad to let him walk in his prime

Not at the cost of this season. It is hard to take that cap hit and loose a roster spot if you can't replace him this year. If all your getting up front is a 3rd this year that is one expensive 3rd rounder. Id rather ride him out then bid on him when he hits FA. Us that cash to improve the team this year. By you know cutting Sanchez. If he want to come back he comes back it not we at least look like we are trying to keep the best player on our team. We have no clue what the real offer is it is all speculation. All this I heard from a guy who knows a guy is bad reporting IMO. Revis is going to be paid 15 mil this year we need to just let it stand at that and see what happens. If you resign him next year you cut Cro if not he is pretty much your fall back until you draft a guy and get him up to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Not at the cost of this season. It is hard to take that cap hit and loose a roster spot if you can't replace him this year. If all your getting up front is a 3rd this year that is one expensive 3rd rounder. Id rather ride him out then bid on him when he hits FA. Us that cash to improve the team this year. By you know cutting Sanchez. If he want to come back he comes back it not we at least look like we are trying to keep the best player on our team. We have no clue what the real offer is it is all speculation. All this I heard from a guy who knows a guy is bad reporting IMO. Revis is going to be paid 15 mil this year we need to just let it stand at that and see what happens. If you resign him next year you cut Cro if not he is pretty much your fall back until you draft a guy and get him up to speed.
    Huh?? We lose a roster spot if we trade a player??

Do you really think that's why Idzik wants a 2013 first, to draft Dee freakin Milliner to replace Revis' production?

You take good value when you can get it. A 2014 1st, 2nd, and a 2013 3rd would be an incredible deal, and Idzik would be absolutely moronic not to take that.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Huh?? We lose a roster spot if we trade a player??

Do you really think that's why Idzik wants a 2013 first, to draft Dee freakin Milliner to replace Revis' production?

You take good value when you can get it. A 2014 1st, 2nd, and a 2013 3rd would be an incredible deal, and Idzik would be absolutely moronic not to take that.
    ''

If the Jets were offered a 2014 1st, 2nd and a 2013 third I would think Idzik would jump all over that. Maybe the offer is in place pending a Revis workout right before the draft. Maybe there was never such offer. We don't know. We don't know Idziks private conversations with any other GM's. There could be a fallback deal in place or there could benothing. Idzik is a smart guy. We don't know nada if he doesn't want us to.

I think Idzik holding off on trading him mean he could potentially be trying to resign him. I hope that is the case.

Again, I don't understand why jet fans want him traded before the draft when he is at his lowest value. How come you don't think Brent Grimes has signed?

There may be some blame but it has to be placed on Tanny and not this group.
    Revis is hurt and is in the driver seat, it is his decision whether to take a long term deal in a depressed market. If the jets give Tampa a 72 hour window to discuss an extension and they can't reach an agreement, how can the jets be faulted?

All I know is that this is the biggest mess i ever seen to try to work a trade out in.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    ''

If the Jets were offered a 2014 1st, 2nd and a 2013 third I would think Idzik would jump all over that. Maybe the offer is in place pending a Revis workout right before the draft. Maybe there was never such offer. We don't know. We don't know Idziks private conversations with any other GM's. There could be a fallback deal in place or there could benothing. Idzik is a smart guy. We don't know nada if he doesn't want us to.

Revis wont be ready to work out until June/July. He is scheduled to start running without a lifting harness in mid April. This is running in a straight line and not full speed. Right now the only running he is doing is with a harness that takes his weight of the knee when he is on a treadmill. What fall back deal? there is not even a first deal.

Yes.

If Revis isn't traded before the Week 8 trading deadline he WILL walk and it WILL be a failure.

Idzik should take the deal on the table now. What he's waiting for I have no clue.

All League
    These point are all valid but no GM in the world can say if he happens to walk next year - the Jets did the right thing. Even if they offer him a solid contract there's enough bad blood between him and the org for him not to take a competing offer from another team. Idzik better get something done.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Yes.

If Revis isn't traded before the Week 8 trading deadline he WILL walk and it WILL be a failure.

Idzik should take the deal on the table now. What he's waiting for I have no clue.
    What deal?

Veteran
    if the jets don't trade him before the season, go through the whole season with him dominating, fail to sign him to an extension and he walks with no possible compensation (obviously) to the jets, i will not be a jets fan any longer. it's possible events like this that make the jets a laughing stock of a team in the NFL and would be a colossal failure on the organizations fault.

The Jets need to trade him before June 1st. Trading him before June 1st would result in a cap hit of 13 miilion dollars this year and 0 cap hit for 2014.

Trading him after June 1st would produce a cap hit of 5 million for 2013 and 9 million for the 2014 cap. Jets are trying to get out of cap hell. Idzik like all new GM's will get a pass his first year and if he can get a 2014 1st and 2nd round pick for Revis from Tampa Bay, he will have cap space along with two 1st and 2nd round draft picks next year to seriously rebuild.

Get used to it, the Jets have given up 2013 already.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What deal?
    Stop trolling, you're unbearable. One pasts loser gets banned another steps up his game. You know damned well there's been reported to be a deal on the table now that includes a 2014 first.

But woe is the Jets, they'll never be offered anything. "This is the biggest mess i [sic] ever seen." By virtue of your frontrunning you're the expert, right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Stop trolling, you're unbearable. One pasts loser gets banned another steps up his game. You know damned well there's been reported to be a deal on the table now that includes a 2014 first.But woe is the Jets, they'll never be offered anything. "This is the biggest mess i [sic] ever seen." By virtue of your frontrunning you're the expert, right?
    The problem is it wasn't reported by the Buc's or Jets unless I was AWOL that day?? The sports media speculating on a daily basis doesn't make it fact..

Veteran
    the holdup maybe Revis and bucs hammering out a long term deal

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I think Idzik holding off on trading him mean he could potentially be trying to resign him. I hope that is the case.
    The longer this situation plays out the more likely Revis signs a new deal with the Jets.

The CB market has been devalued so much this season, there are only a few guys making at least 10 million per year right now. If you look at what Idzik did with the Cromartie restructure, he pushed money into next year but DID NOT add any years. Cromartie can still be cut next season and save 9.5 million. Nobody is giving Revis 15 million per year, that ship has sailed and Revis' people know that. I think the likely scenario now is that Revis stays and signs long term and Cromartie is cut next season.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    The problem is it wasn't reported by the Buc's or Jets unless I was AWOL that day?? The sports media speculating on a daily basis doesn't make it fact..
    Truth ... one would have to surmise that there is such substance to such a specific rumor but you're right, as of now, it's conjecture ...

Stop trolling, you're unbearable. One pasts loser gets banned another steps up his game. You know damned well there's been reported to be a deal on the table now that includes a 2014 first.

But woe is the Jets, they'll never be offered anything. "This is the biggest mess i [sic] ever seen." By virtue of your frontrunning you're the expert, right?
    yeah and mallet is getting traded for a 2nd to the Browns, which has been speculated about as much.

It has not been reported, it has been speculated. Big difference. You show me a report from either the jets or the bucs regarding this trade. Because peter King says that the jets should ask for something in a trade makes it valid? The bucs and about 6 other teams have contacted the jets regarding Revis.

And yes it is the biggest mess I ever seen. A great player supposedly wants to be one of the highest paid defensive players in the nfl- per his words. His present teams owner states that he is not sure of the payers future with his team. The player is unable to work out and has suffered a significant injury. The market for his position is severely depressed, The player has a no tag clause limiting the team's options.

You name some trade in any salary cap sport that has this many parameters that inhibit the movement of the player. This is a perfect storm of a complicated trade scenario.
    Last edited by patman; 03-27-2013 at 11:13 AM.