Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What will happen with Vladimir Ducasse?

And I'll say this again..There should be serious questions to how well Rex and his staff DEVELOP players.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Big/slow? I guess Mo, Coples, Hill, Davis, Ellis, are all big & slow..

As others here, who have actually watched him play have said, he was good to very good in the run game but inconsistent in the passing game at LG..

Now, with the Jets most likely going back to a ZBS, does that suit / not suit Vlad's game? That will be up to Devlin / Marty and the other coaches and FO to decide.

He's also in the final yr of his contract...

Still love all the "he was a reach" talk...

Cowboys Potential Draft Picks: Vladimir Ducasse, OG/OT, UMass

http://thedctimes.com/2010/03/cowboy...se-ogot-umass/

Top 10 OL prospects

7. ORT-OG Vladimir Ducasse
    Massachusetts senior
    Ht: 6-4 3/8 | Wt: 332 | Sp: 5.24 | Arm: 34 3/4 | Hand: 9 5/8
    Notes: Born in Haiti, Ducasse, who lost his mother when he was five, was sent to the U.S. by his father in 2002 in order to attain a college education. He did not know the game of football until his junior year of high school but became an all-state (Connecticut) player who also competed in track and field. Played as a true freshman at UMass, seeing action in four games as a reserve guard in 2006. Took over at left tackle in '07, starting all 12 games. Started all 23 games over the course of 2008-09. Team captain who speaks three languages.
    Positives: Has excellent size - massive frame, thick trunk and very long arms. Gets into blocks quickly and mauls defenders. Good anchor strength to stop a charge. Has strong hands and a powerful punch. Plays with an attitude. Very tough and will play hurt. Operated in a pro-style offense and worked out of a three-point stance. Has been very durable and is highly motivated.
    Negatives: Raw. Technique needs refinement - inconsistent hand placement and footwork need to be cleaned up. Is a bit heavy-legged and can struggle cutting off the outside speed rush. Inconsistent leverage - needs to learn to sink his hips. Vulnerable to counters and inside moves. Lacks elite balance and body control. Does not consistently dominate inferior competition like he should. Had some struggles handling speed and counters against better competition in one-on-one drills at the Senior Bowl.
    Summary: Big-bodied college left tackle who projects best to right tackle or guard in the NFL. Got away with leaning and relying on his size at UMass and is not polished, but most of his flaws are coachable, and he possesses legitimate physical ability and significant upside. Could handle the left side for a power-running team such as the Cowboys, Steelers or Cardinals. Could blossom into a left tackle with good coaching but may have to start his career inside.
    NFL projection: Top-40 pick.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...0-ol-prospects

Interesting look back:

The top 64: Best prospects as 2010 NFL draft season kicks off

20. Ricky Sapp OLB, Clemson, 6-4, 248, 1: Whether he plays outside linebacker in a 3-4 or defensive end in a 4-3, his promise is as a pass rusher. He moved from defensive end to standup linebacker last year and responded with career highs in tackles (60), tackles for loss (15) and sacks (5). Sapp's overall athleticism is more striking than his football ability. If he learns to harness all his talent, he can become an elite pass rusher in the NFL. However, there is concern about his durability after a college career marred by injuries.

41. Kyle Wilson CB, Boise State, 5-10, 190, 1-2: Earned all-conference or All-America awards in four seasons while impressing as a defensive back and a punt returner. Extremely competitive, tough and has great ball reaction.

45. Tim Tebow QB, Florida, 6-3, 236, 2: His production, charisma and toughness are well-known. But he showcased these abilities in a spread offense, which accentuated his positives and minimized his negatives. Tebow's career productivity is off the charts: passing for 9,285 yards (88 touchdowns) and 16 interceptions; rushing for 3,390 yards and 57 TDs. But concerns over his ability to transfer his talent to the pro game were heightened in the Senior Bowl when he consistently had problems with the snap under center and his footwork. He also has an elongated throwing motion.

51. Vladimir Ducasse T, Massachusetts, 6-5, 326, 2: There is little doubt Ducasse has rare size and skills, but there is no consensus on where his talent might be best used in pro football. At the Senior Bowl, scouts delighted in watching him line up at all of the offensive line positions and then even take a shot on the defensive side. His natural strength and athletic ability give him tremendous upside.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...rospects_N.htm

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock predicts as many as four left tackles could go in the top 10. Mayock's candidates: Oklahoma State's Russell Okung, Iowa's Brian Bulaga, Rutgers' Anthony Davis and Oklahoma's Trent Williams. He also counts Charles Brown of the University of Southern California, Vladimir Ducasse of the University of Massachusetts and Bruce Campbell of Maryland in the first-round mix.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...-preview_N.htm

Mike Mayock's Top 5 Prospects @ Each Position
    http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10009

Hall Of Fame

41. Kyle Wilson CB, Boise State, 5-10, 190, 1-2: Earned all-conference or All-America awards in four seasons while impressing as a defensive back and a punt returner. Extremely competitive, tough and has great ball reaction.
    Lets forget Ducasse for a second. This one really stood out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    And I'll say this again..There should be serious questions to how well Rex and his staff DEVELOP players.
    I heard that somewhere..

FWIW...According to Tony Pauline, Callahan was all in for drafting Ducasse but once Vlad came aboard Callahan ignored him & his development.

Hall Of Fame
    I heard that somewhere..

FWIW...According to Tony Pauline, Callahan was all in for drafting Ducasse but once Vlad came aboard Callahan ignored him & his development.
    Maybe he didn't want to exacerbate a mistake by taking time away from his other players. Everyone makes mistakes in the draft. But more is lost by indecision than wrong decision. I think the Jets have been floundering with Ducasse and that is worse than drafting a bust IMO.

Sh*t or get off the pot.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    think he gets cut in TC b/c he sux and b/c he's a tanny guy. very symbolic of the prior regime's emphasis on big/slow players.
    I love when people say Vlad is symbolic of Tanny's regime.

2nd rounders bust all the time....I can only imagine what you'd do if we had The Pats 2nd rounders who have busted

Back in the day, players would sit 3 years before they would start. Kareem McKenzie sat for 3 years before he got his chance with us

Lets see what VLad becomes before calling him a "bust"

IMO, the only round a player should be considered a "bust" is if he's a 1st that doesn't pan out

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    I love when people say Vlad is symbolic of Tanny's regime.

2nd rounders bust all the time....I can only imagine what you'd do if we had The Pats 2nd rounders who have busted

Back in the day, players would sit 3 years before they would start. Kareem McKenzie sat for 3 years before he got his chance with us

Lets see what VLad becomes before calling him a "bust"

IMO, the only round a player should be considered a "bust" is if he's a 1st that doesn't pan out
    McKenzie got to play in some games as a rookie but from his 2nd year on was a starter for the Jets..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Try him at nose tackle!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Try him at nose tackle!
    He does have the nose for it..

cause he's young, talented, and while very slowly, is improving.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    My best case scenario is that Ducasse remains in the depth/rotation/sub roll in 2013. Colon is a one year rental with injury issues. We don't want another disasterous 2011 year due to OL depth issues.

So, I'm hoping we draft Warmack at 9 and end our OL woes for the next decade. If we go OLB at 9 then Barrett Jones who can play both center and guard would a my pick in the 2nd round.
    Well, I could live with that. Problem is, he's been coached by some very good OL coaches and he doesn't seem to be picking up his game. Certainly won't ever be a decent RT at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    McKenzie got to play in some games as a rookie but from his 2nd year on was a starter for the Jets..
    Wasn't Kareem taken in the 3rd round?

He was also drafted by Terry Bradway.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Wasn't Kareem taken in the 3rd round?
    Yep in the 2001 draft..

The popular opinion that Vlad stinks is surprising. Last year he played every 3rd series, rotating with Slausson. As it turns out he was better than Slausson at run blocking but Slausson was better than Vlad at pass protection. While Vlad has progressed slower than we'd like he's no worse than an average guard at this point and unlike Slausson he still had upside possibilities.

It's unknown of course whether he can stand up to the wear and tear of being a started but cutting Vlad is definitely not happening.
    Agree,fashionable though it is to slaughter him if you watched closely on a few plays last year he did a really good job of neutralising his man.

I actually saw some good pass blocking as well as run blocking but he got blown up a couple of times against the Chargers(who didn't)It was only in limited duty and the jury is still out but it's worth remembering he's been shunted from RT to RG to LG and has never really been given a run at a single spot.

Could be an Adrien Clarke style clusterfvck if we go into the season with him as our only viable option at either LG or RG or a pleasant surprise

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Try him at nose tackle!
    I never knew they made him practice some DL at the Senior Bowl. At this point it is worth a shot. Just have him occupy blockers and tell him to hold his ground.

I heard that somewhere..

Not only that but I also remember him saying here a few days after the draft that we were going to pick him in Rd 1 but were surprised when Kyle Wilson was still there.

Imagine that if we took Vlad in the first!

Jets Insider VIP
    The popular opinion that Vlad stinks is surprising. Last year he played every 3rd series, rotating with Slausson. As it turns out he was better than Slausson at run blocking but Slausson was better than Vlad at pass protection. While Vlad has progressed slower than we'd like he's no worse than an average guard at this point and unlike Slausson he still had upside possibilities.

It's unknown of course whether he can stand up to the wear and tear of being a started but cutting Vlad is definitely not happening.
    That is contrary to what the OL coach said! It is also contrary to what REX said many times.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

My bad, I stand corrected

Ya bastard...lol

I heard that somewhere..

No, according to Tony, Callahan liked Ducasse coming out of UMass. Once he started coaching him, he realized that Ducasse stinks.

When your position coach thinks you suck, you suck. The guy whiffs like crazy. He won't be starting. He'll get the QB killed. The Jets know he sucks, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Welcome to Burger King. Can I help you? - Vlad's new job
    bienvenue Burger King. puis-je vous aider?