Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What will happen with Vladimir Ducasse?

What will happen with Vladimir Ducasse?

While Idzik has been so focused on clearing out all of the dead weight from the team, why hasn't he purged Ducasse from the roster?

Are there any bad cap consequences of cutting/trading him?

I know at the time that he was drafted, it was the intent of the FO to have him be our future RT. He clearly has not lived up to that. I believe he'll be a liability anywhere you put him on the line.

I want to say it is necessary to keep him on the roster because of the player purge going on around him, but that certainly doesn't give me any faith that our OL will be any good this season. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Mainejet; 03-29-2013 at 06:34 AM.

think he gets cut in TC b/c he sux and b/c he's a tanny guy. very symbolic of the prior regime's emphasis on big/slow players.

cutting Ducasse only saves $220,000. no point in doing that now. see if he's improved, see what Marty may or may not see in him, see if he can survive training camp. no reason to cut him now. let him compete.

this is the last year of his contract. there may even be a slight, ever so thin chance that he turns into something and we can get compensation for him next offseason either via RFA or trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    cutting Ducasse only saves $220,000. no point in doing that now. see if he's improved, see what Marty may or may not see in him, see if he can survive training camp. no reason to cut him now. let him compete.

this is the last year of his contract. there may even be a slight, ever so thin chance that he turns into something and we can get compensation for him next offseason either via RFA or trade.
    This seems on target. What's the harm of letting him compete again in camp?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    This seems on target. What's the harm of letting him compete again in camp?
    +1 Plus he's a shoo in for the Mr. Ugly title again..

All Pro
    Because he is a relatively cheap back up who saves us no money by dumping him.

Oh yeah. We also haven't resigned either starting guard from last year, so maybe keeping a cheap backup that knows the system is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 I'm surprised that hasn't given him an advantage when blocking. You'd think the mere sight of him would scare defenders off the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    +1 I'm surprised that hasn't given him an advantage when blocking. You'd think the mere sight of him would scare defenders off the line.
    He'll be cut, elected President of Haiti, get rich, and move to France

He could be the gay player coming out in a few weeks... Gets the Jets back on the front pages...

Hall Of Fame
    There is a good chance that he will be starting for us.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    He could be the gay player coming out in a few weeks... Gets the Jets back on the front pages...
    Why? You don't think gay guys think he's ugly?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 now that Pace was cut!

Ljr

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    There is a good chance that he will be starting for us.
    God help us

Rookie
    The popular opinion that Vlad stinks is surprising. Last year he played every 3rd series, rotating with Slausson. As it turns out he was better than Slausson at run blocking but Slausson was better than Vlad at pass protection. While Vlad has progressed slower than we'd like he's no worse than an average guard at this point and unlike Slausson he still had upside possibilities.

It's unknown of course whether he can stand up to the wear and tear of being a started but cutting Vlad is definitely not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    The popular opinion that Vlad stinks is surprising. Last year he played every 3rd series, rotating with Slausson. As it turns out he was better than Slausson at run blocking but Slausson was better than Vlad at pass protection. While Vlad has progressed slower than we'd like he's no worse than an average guard at this point and unlike Slausson he still had upside possibilities.

It's unknown of course whether he can stand up to the wear and tear of being a started but cutting Vlad is definitely not happening.
    I've been watching him in every single game he's played and I think he stinks. The fact that you state he was better at run blocking than Slauson? That's not saying anything either. Slauson was also terrible last season.

And what upside might you be thinking of? He's been in the league for 3 seasons now and he hasn't shown anything. So how long do you think he should be given so we can tap into that upside you are speaking of?

Big/slow? I guess Mo, Coples, Hill, Davis, Ellis, are all big & slow..

As others here, who have actually watched him play have said, he was good to very good in the run game but inconsistent in the passing game at LG..

Now, with the Jets most likely going back to a ZBS, does that suit / not suit Vlad's game? That will be up to Devlin / Marty and the other coaches and FO to decide.

He's also in the final yr of his contract...

Still love all the "he was a reach" talk...

Cowboys Potential Draft Picks: Vladimir Ducasse, OG/OT, UMass

http://thedctimes.com/2010/03/cowboy...se-ogot-umass/

Top 10 OL prospects

7. ORT-OG Vladimir Ducasse
    Massachusetts senior
    Ht: 6-4 3/8 | Wt: 332 | Sp: 5.24 | Arm: 34 3/4 | Hand: 9 5/8
    Notes: Born in Haiti, Ducasse, who lost his mother when he was five, was sent to the U.S. by his father in 2002 in order to attain a college education. He did not know the game of football until his junior year of high school but became an all-state (Connecticut) player who also competed in track and field. Played as a true freshman at UMass, seeing action in four games as a reserve guard in 2006. Took over at left tackle in '07, starting all 12 games. Started all 23 games over the course of 2008-09. Team captain who speaks three languages.
    Positives: Has excellent size - massive frame, thick trunk and very long arms. Gets into blocks quickly and mauls defenders. Good anchor strength to stop a charge. Has strong hands and a powerful punch. Plays with an attitude. Very tough and will play hurt. Operated in a pro-style offense and worked out of a three-point stance. Has been very durable and is highly motivated.
    Negatives: Raw. Technique needs refinement - inconsistent hand placement and footwork need to be cleaned up. Is a bit heavy-legged and can struggle cutting off the outside speed rush. Inconsistent leverage - needs to learn to sink his hips. Vulnerable to counters and inside moves. Lacks elite balance and body control. Does not consistently dominate inferior competition like he should. Had some struggles handling speed and counters against better competition in one-on-one drills at the Senior Bowl.
    Summary: Big-bodied college left tackle who projects best to right tackle or guard in the NFL. Got away with leaning and relying on his size at UMass and is not polished, but most of his flaws are coachable, and he possesses legitimate physical ability and significant upside. Could handle the left side for a power-running team such as the Cowboys, Steelers or Cardinals. Could blossom into a left tackle with good coaching but may have to start his career inside.
    NFL projection: Top-40 pick.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...0-ol-prospects

Interesting look back:

The top 64: Best prospects as 2010 NFL draft season kicks off

20. Ricky Sapp — OLB, Clemson, 6-4, 248, 1: Whether he plays outside linebacker in a 3-4 or defensive end in a 4-3, his promise is as a pass rusher. He moved from defensive end to standup linebacker last year and responded with career highs in tackles (60), tackles for loss (15) and sacks (5). Sapp's overall athleticism is more striking than his football ability. If he learns to harness all his talent, he can become an elite pass rusher in the NFL. However, there is concern about his durability after a college career marred by injuries.

41. Kyle Wilson — CB, Boise State, 5-10, 190, 1-2: Earned all-conference or All-America awards in four seasons while impressing as a defensive back and a punt returner. Extremely competitive, tough and has great ball reaction.

45. Tim Tebow— QB, Florida, 6-3, 236, 2: His production, charisma and toughness are well-known. But he showcased these abilities in a spread offense, which accentuated his positives and minimized his negatives. Tebow's career productivity is off the charts: passing for 9,285 yards (88 touchdowns) and 16 interceptions; rushing for 3,390 yards and 57 TDs. But concerns over his ability to transfer his talent to the pro game were heightened in the Senior Bowl when he consistently had problems with the snap under center and his footwork. He also has an elongated throwing motion.

51. Vladimir Ducasse — T, Massachusetts, 6-5, 326, 2: There is little doubt Ducasse has rare size and skills, but there is no consensus on where his talent might be best used in pro football. At the Senior Bowl, scouts delighted in watching him line up at all of the offensive line positions and then even take a shot on the defensive side. His natural strength and athletic ability give him tremendous upside.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...rospects_N.htm

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock predicts as many as four left tackles could go in the top 10. Mayock's candidates: Oklahoma State's Russell Okung, Iowa's Brian Bulaga, Rutgers' Anthony Davis and Oklahoma's Trent Williams. He also counts Charles Brown of the University of Southern California, Vladimir Ducasse of the University of Massachusetts and Bruce Campbell of Maryland in the first-round mix.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...-preview_N.htm

Mike Mayock's Top 5 Prospects @ Each Position
    http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10009

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post

No way we don't use a high pick on a guard.If Vlad is still with the Jets, it will be as a backup.

Rookie
    I've been watching him in every single game he's played and I think he stinks. The fact that you state he was better at run blocking than Slauson? That's not saying anything either. Slauson was also terrible last season.

And what upside might you be thinking of? He's been in the league for 3 seasons now and he hasn't shown anything. So how long do you think he should be given so we can tap into that upside you are speaking of?
    My best case scenario is that Ducasse remains in the depth/rotation/sub roll in 2013. Colon is a one year rental with injury issues. We don't want another disasterous 2011 year due to OL depth issues.

So, I'm hoping we draft Warmack at 9 and end our OL woes for the next decade. If we go OLB at 9 then Barrett Jones who can play both center and guard would a my pick in the 2nd round.

All League
    While Idzik has been so focused on clearing out all of the dead weight from the team, why hasn't he purged Ducasse from the roster?

I know at the time that he was drafted, it was the intent of the FO to have him be our future RT. He clearing has not lived up to that. I believe he'll be a liability anywhere you put him on the line.

I want to say it is necessary to keep him on the roster because of the player purge going on around him, but that certainly doesn't give me any faith that our OL will be any good this season. Your thoughts?
    Welcome to Burger King. Can I help you? - Vlad's new job

I know at the time that he was drafted, it was the intent of the FO to have him be our future RT. He clearing has not lived up to that. I believe he'll be a liability anywhere you put him on the line.

I happen to think he'll be our starting LG. Not saying i want that....just what i think will happen.