Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2013 Jets Draft Prospect Workouts & Meetings thread

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @MMehtaNYDN: West Virginia WR Tavon Austin will indeed be visiting the Jets, as @ProFootballTalk noted. Would be dynamic playmaker #NYJ desperately needs

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Can confirm @MikeGarafolo's report from earlier. Oaklahoma OT Lane Johnson is in the #jets facility today.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Can confirm @MikeGarafolo's report from earlier. Oaklahoma OT Lane Johnson is in the #jets facility today.
    would the jets draft him and put him at RT? would that make sense?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @BrianCoz: Not sure if this was out there already, but Florida International S Jonathan Cyprien visited the Jets yesterday. #nyj

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    @BrianCoz: Not sure if this was out there already, but Florida International S Jonathan Cyprien visited the Jets yesterday. #nyj
    Argh! I had him going to the jets in my latest mock which i haven't posted yet. I think there have been a couple of players in my mock that the jets have had in for a visit for showed interest in.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    @RavensInsider: Miami cornerback Brandon McGee has private workouts with Eagles, Bears, Jets; Interest from Redskins, Patriots, Vikings
    Like McGee a lot...we haven't really talked about it at all on these boards but if Revis is truly on the outs then another CB becomes a real possibility(I'd even say necessity)at some point and a guy Like McGee could fit the bill mid rounds.

By the way amazing job with twitter updates CMart not just lately but since forever...appreciate the effort you put in

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @MoveTheSticks: Le'Veon Bell is a good fit for the pro game...His ability to block/catch has some pass happy teams excited.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    not sure if posted

FLORIDA S Josh Evans to visit 49ers and Jets
    Florida S Josh Evans has visits lined up with the San Francisco 49ers and New York Jets.
    Evans has had previous visits, with teams such as the New England Patriots, New York Giants and Cleveland Browns. It's been said in the past that Evans is a better prospect than teammate Matt Elam, who is also highly regarded. National Football Post's Russ Lande recently wrote that Evans was more fluid and athletic than Elam at the school's pro day.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    How NFL.com analysts are projecting the first-round picks for the New York Jets in the 2013 NFL Draft:

Matt "Money" Smith
    No. 9: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
    I don't care about the times or the workouts. Pop in the tape and you'll swear there are five of him on the field. Rex Ryan needs to win this year, and Jones is someone who can step in and contribute immediately.

Charles Davis
    No. 9: Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU
    Rex Ryan would be champing at the bit to scheme ways to turn loose the lengthy pass rusher from Baton Rouge.

Daniel Jeremiah
    No. 9: Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU
    The Jets need an explosive edge rusher, and that's exactly what Ansah can be for them. He's not an ideal outside linebacker, but Rex Ryan is creative enough to make it work.

Bucky Brooks
    No. 9: Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
    Rex Ryan needs an explosive pass rusher off the edge around whom he can build his aggressive blitz scheme. Though Jordan has just 14.5 career sacks, he has displayed the speed and athleticism to wreak havoc on opponents as a designated pass rusher.

Akbar Gbajabiamila
    No. 9: Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU
    Ansah is very raw -- who better to shape a young talent than Rex Ryan? Ansah could fill the Jets' long-standing pass-rush need.

Gil Brandt
    No. 9: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
    Werner is a pass rusher, and that's what the Jets are looking for. He had a very productive final year with the Seminoles, recording 13 sacks. I think he has a lot of upside.

Charley Casserly
    No. 9: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
    After a lackluster performance at Georgia's Pro Day, Jones must excel in private workouts to hold this position.

Josh Norris
    No. 9: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
    Yes, I'm projecting Darrelle Revis will indeed be traded. The Jets could target a pass rusher or nose tackle at this spot, but I think Rhodes will go earlier than expected.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...und-mock-draft
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-18-2013 at 06:16 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    what a mess.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @TonyPauline: Notes on offensive tackles; 1) Lane Johnson/Oklahoma flying into early picks 2) Arizona very high on DJ Fluker...

4 OTs going top 7 picks?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    @TonyPauline: Notes on offensive tackles; 1) Lane Johnson/Oklahoma flying into early picks 2) Arizona very high on DJ Fluker...

4 OTs going top 7 picks?
    According to DREAMERS, not even 3 will go in the top 10. We're looking at possibly seeing 6 Olinemen going with the first 12 picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is product of the sheer uncertainty surrounding some of the top picks. JI heroes like Mongo, and even Jones are littered with question marks. Why wouldn't you take the sure-shot?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    this is product of the sheer uncertainty surrounding some of the top picks. JI heroes like Mongo, and even Jones are littered with question marks. Why wouldn't you take the sure-shot?
    I'd take Jordan otherwise I take OG.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Because nobody wants to draft a guard in the top ten. We may have to choose one but it's only because this draft sucks at the top

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    By Walter Cherepinsky - @walterfootball
    April 19, 2013

This is a compilation of draft prospect meetings sorted by team. The data was acquired via Charlie Campbell (@draftcampbell) and other media sources.

SR - Senior Bowl meeting.
    EW - East-West Shrine meeting.
    COM - Combine meeting.
    INT - Interested.
    VINT - Very Interested.
    PRO - Pro Day meeting.
    PRI - Private Workout.
    % - indicates more than one meeting.
    # - indicates meeting set up outside of the 2013 Senior Bowl or the 2013 East-West Shrine Game

New York Jets:
    Oday Aboushi, OL, Virginia (PRI)
    Anthony Amos, WR, Middle Tennessee State (EW)
    Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia (PRI)
    Matt Barkley, QB, USC (COM)
    Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State (PRI)
    Josh Boyd, DL, Mississippi State (EW)
    Armonty Bryant, DL, East Central Oklahoma (PRI)
    William Campbell, DL, Michigan (PRI)
    Alex Carder%, QB, Western Michigan (PRI) (EW)
    Mike Catapano, DL, Princeton (PRO)
    Jonathan Cyprien, DB, Florida International (PRI)
    Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas (PRI)
    Zac Dysert%, QB, Miami Of Ohio (PRI) (SR)
    Matt Elam, DB, Florida (PRI)
    Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford (VINT)
    Josh Evans, DB, Florida (PRI)
    Matt Furstenburg, TE, Maryland (PRI)
    Courtney Gardner, WR, Sierra (PRI)
    Ray Graham, RB, Pittsburgh (PRO)
    Dwayne Gratz, DB, Connecticut (PRI)
    Khaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers (PRO)
    Jakar Hamilton, DB, South Carolina State (PRI)
    Duron Harmon, DB, Rutgers (PRO)
    Mark Harrison, WR, Rutgers (PRO)
    Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn State (EW)
    Wes Horton, DL, USC (EW)
    Margus Hunt, DL, SMU (PRI)
    Jawan Jamison, RB, Rutgers (PRO)
    D.C. Jefferson%, TE, Rutgers (PRO) (EW)
    Lane Johnson, OL, Oklahoma (PRI)
    Brandon Jones, DB, Rutgers (PRO)
    Dion Jordan, DL, Oregon (PRI)
    Joe Kruger, DL, Utah (PRI)
    Kendial Lawrence, RB, Missouri (PRO)
    Star Lotulelei, DL, Utah (PRI)
    E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State (PRI)
    Josh Martin, OLB, Columbia (VINT)
    Miguel Maysonet, RB, Stony Brook (PRI)
    Kevin McDermott, LS, UCLA (VINT)
    Leon McFadden, DB, San Diego State (SR)
    Brandon McGee, CB, Miami (EW)
    Christine Michael%, RB, Texas A&M (PRI) (VINT) (EW%)
    Dee Milliner, DB, Alabama (PRI)
    Sio Moore%, LB, Connecticut (VINT) (EW)
    Zeke Motta, S, Notre Dame (EW)
    Patrick Murray, WR, Fordham (PRO)
    Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse (PRI)
    Ryan Otten, TE, San Jose State (INT)
    Chris Pantale, TE, Boston College (PRO)
    Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee (PRI)
    Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech (COM)
    Gilbert Pena, DT, Ole Miss (PRO)
    Kevin Reddick, LB, North Carolina (SR)
    Sheldon Richardson, DL, Missouri (PRO)
    Theo Riddick, RB, Notre Dame (PRO)
    Logan Ryan, DB, Rutgers (PRI)
    Quinn Sharp, PK, Oklahoma State (SR)
    Geno Smith%, QB, West Virginia (PRI) (PRO)
    Ryan Spadola, WR, Lehigh (PRO)
    D.J. Swearinger, DB, South Carolina (PRI)
    Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford (SR)
    Kenny Vaccaro, DB, Texas (PRI)
    Cornelius Washington, DL, Georgia (VINT)
    Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida (EW)
    Duke Williams, DB, Nevada (EW)
    Kerwynn Williams, RB, Utah State (EW)
    Nick Williams, WR, Connecticut (PRO)
    Earl Wolff, DB, N.C. State (PRI)

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013meetingsteams.php
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-20-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Charles Johnson, WR - Grand Valley State

Charles Johnson was not invited to the NFL Scouting Combine, but his workout Monday in front of NFL scouts representing 24 teams at Grand Valley State’s pro day could have the receiver vaulting up draft boards.

Johnson (6-foot-2, 215 pounds) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.38 and 4.39 seconds. He had a 4.31-second short shuttle and 6.96-second three-cone drill. He had a 39 1/2-inch vertical jump and an 11-foot-1 broad jump. He performed 14 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press. The receivers coaches from the Arizona Cardinals and New York Jets were present in Allendale, Mich. for the workout.

Johnson’s pro-day efforts would have placed him among the top performers at the combine in the 40, vertical jump and broad jump. Before his pro day, Johnson had guaranteed that he’d run a 4.39, reports MLive.com.

Johnson does have a red flag, having bounced around between different schools. He initially went to Eastern Kentucky, where he was suspended. He then attended Antelope Valley Community College (Calif.) in 2008, took a season off in 2009, and was at Grand Valley State starting in 2010.

On the basis of his strong pro-day workout, Johnson could be selected as high as the fifth round in the 2013 NFL Draft.

The last player from Grand Valley State selected in the draft was cornerback Brandon Carr, who was picked in the fifth round by the Kansas City Chiefs in 2008 and now plays for the Dallas Cowboys. David Kircus, a sixth-round selection in 2003 by the Detroit Lions, was the last Lakers receiver who was drafted.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/03/11/gran...consideration/

Google search helps Charles Johnson become Grand Valley State's top wide receiver

Published: Thursday, September 15, 2011, 10:00 AM

ALLENDALE — If not for a simple Internet search, Charles Johnson probably would have wound up somewhere other than Grand Valley State University. And that definitely would have been a loss for the Lakers football team.

The junior wide receiver’s path to Allendale had a few forks in the road, though. After originally committing to Louisville out of high school, Johnson instead chose Eastern Kentucky, where he appeared in 11 games in the 2007 season.

His time there was short, though. Johnson was suspended for what he called “immature things” and wound up at Antelope Valley (Calif.) Community College near Los Angeles, where he also spent just one season.

Johnson had a few scholarship offers, but he decided to take a year off from football after the 2008 season and returned home to Kentucky to take classes and be near his father, Fred, who was ill.

Following that off year, Johnson was itching to return to the field and started talking to a few Division I programs, including Kentucky. Then he learned from the NCAA that he would have only one year of eligibility remaining if he went to a Division I school.

A Division II school, however, could give him two years. And that’s when he turned to the Internet.

“This is in all honesty,” Johnson said with a laugh. “I went onto Google because I didn’t know anything about D-II football. I typed in ‘top D-II schools in the nation’ and Grand Valley was one of the top ones.

“I didn’t know anything. But I’m glad to be here now.”

The Lakers are pretty happy, too.

Bio box: Charles Johnson

College: Grand Valley State
    Position: Wide receiver
    Year: Junior
    Size: 6-foot-3, 205 pounds
    High school: Lloyd Memorial, Elsmere, Ky.
    Last year: Redshirted at GVSU
    Fast fact: Caught three passes for 63 yards in one season at Eastern Kentucky; caught 24 passes for 231 yards and three touchdowns in one season at Antelope Valley (Calif.) Community College

Johnson has wasted no time fitting into the offensive scheme after redshirting in 2010. Through the first two games this season, the speedy receiver has accounted for 224 of GVSU’s 441 passing yards and three of its five touchdowns on nine catches.

Johnson caught three passes for 63 yards in the Lakers’ season opener against Western Oregon, including touchdowns of 30 and 13 yards. In last week’s loss against Hillsdale, he had six catches for 161 yards, including a 71-yard touchdown grab.

“I got acclimated pretty fast. Last year, I wasn’t sure if I was going to play or not, so I got on the playbook pretty tough,” Johnson said. “I ended up sitting out, which was better for me because I got to learn the program.”

Johnson said he sent frequent texts to sophomore quarterback Heath Parling last spring, and the duo played catch and built a stronger rapport.

“He’s a really good receiver and he seems to be open a lot. It makes my job a lot easier,” Parling said. “He works hard, he’s a good guy on and off the field, so it’s not hard to, first of all, become friends with him, and second, throw him the ball a lot.”

GVSU coach Matt Mitchell said he expects Johnson will continue to improve during the course of the season.

“Typically, it takes first-year players a while to get the flow of things, but he’s done a really nice job,” Mitchell said. “I think being here a year and not playing helped his development a lot. He’s a very gifted player, and I think we’re just scratching the surface of what he can be. I’m excited to see the development of him and Heath working together.”

Johnson is happy to finally have found a situation that seems to fit him athletically and academically. He may have been a little surprised to see snow in March the first time he visited campus, but he’s grateful the Lakers coaching staff gave him the chance to play football again.

He also has enjoyed learning more about the tradition of GVSU football — this time, without the aid of Google.

“I love it here, for real,” he said. “I love that they gave me an opportunity because they didn’t have to.

“It’s been pretty wild, but it was well worth it.”

http://www.mlive.com/lakers/index.ss...harles_jo.html
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-20-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
    Penn defensive end-outside linebacker Brandon Copeland (Gilman) has drawn interest from Texans, Jets. Attended Ravens' local prospects day

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both Milliner and Richardson were pre-draft visits..