Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 71

Thread: American League East Predictions

  1. #41
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

    Toronto is the 2012 Marlins. And the Orioles aren't going to sneak up on anybody. Now there are expectations for them. Lets see how they play with a target on them.
    I think you are off the mark here DDNYjets.
    Will the team translate onto the field as they are on paper? We'll see, but don't call them overrated. This is a TALENTED team. They also add Bautista, since he missed half the season last year.
    The big question mark is obviously the pitching staff. IF they stay healthy, and IF they produce like they ought to, look out. Don't underestimate J.A. Happ. He is starting to come into the pitcher he was suppose to be. If Drabek ever puts his talent together, he will be the #1 on that team. If Ricky Romero remembers how to pitch again (remember, the EXACT same thing happened to Roy Halladay, and the Jays did the exact same thing by demoting him).

    I think you will see the Jays, if this pitching staff holds together, trade one of their starters for a bonafide DH or 1st baseman. To add another bat to that lineup would be scary.

    So, yeah, there are question marks. But I would not call this team overrated. This team, with all those injuries, still won 73 games. This lineup could easily win 100 games.

  2. #42
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    RAYS win the division easy

    Yankees are more of a mess then the Jets

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    I think you are off the mark here DDNYjets.
    Will the team translate onto the field as they are on paper? We'll see, but don't call them overrated. This is a TALENTED team. They also add Bautista, since he missed half the season last year.
    The big question mark is obviously the pitching staff. IF they stay healthy, and IF they produce like they ought to, look out. Don't underestimate J.A. Happ. He is starting to come into the pitcher he was suppose to be. If Drabek ever puts his talent together, he will be the #1 on that team. If Ricky Romero remembers how to pitch again (remember, the EXACT same thing happened to Roy Halladay, and the Jays did the exact same thing by demoting him).

    I think you will see the Jays, if this pitching staff holds together, trade one of their starters for a bonafide DH or 1st baseman. To add another bat to that lineup would be scary.

    So, yeah, there are question marks. But I would not call this team overrated. This team, with all those injuries, still won 73 games. This lineup could easily win 100 games.
    No lineup can "easily win 100 games". There's nothing easy about that. Ever. That statement alone is evidence that you're overrating the Blue Jays.

  4. #44
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,649
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    I think you are off the mark here DDNYjets.
    Will the team translate onto the field as they are on paper? We'll see, but don't call them overrated. This is a TALENTED team. They also add Bautista, since he missed half the season last year.
    The big question mark is obviously the pitching staff. IF they stay healthy, and IF they produce like they ought to, look out. Don't underestimate J.A. Happ. He is starting to come into the pitcher he was suppose to be. If Drabek ever puts his talent together, he will be the #1 on that team. If Ricky Romero remembers how to pitch again (remember, the EXACT same thing happened to Roy Halladay, and the Jays did the exact same thing by demoting him).

    I think you will see the Jays, if this pitching staff holds together, trade one of their starters for a bonafide DH or 1st baseman. To add another bat to that lineup would be scary.



    So, yeah, there are question marks. But I would not call this team overrated. This team, with all those injuries, still won 73 games. This lineup could easily win 100 games.
    You are right , too many question marks and "if's" for the pitching staff, sure they can lucky and it all comes together .... Maybe...
    Last edited by LSJF; 03-30-2013 at 04:02 PM.

  5. #45
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,663
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Yep. Nunez at least offers you something at an above-average rate - his speed. Other than that, he's a very similar hitter.
    Defense - Tejada >>>>>>>>> Nunez
    Offense - Nunez > Tejada

    Overall Tejada is a better player. If Nunez learns to field at a competent level he'd be better than Tejada but that hasn't happened yet.

  6. #46
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jays
    Rays
    Os
    Dollarsigns
    Sux

  7. #47
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,949
    Post Thanks / Like
    We go through this every year... Mets fans are out of the baseball forum by summer... Until the Yankees lose in the postseason, then they come back in chest thumping...

    It's rather sad when you think about it. A sibling rivalry that the older, better looking, more established sibling wants no part of...

  8. #48
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,649
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    We go through this every year... Mets fans are out of the baseball forum by summer... Until the Yankees lose in the postseason, then they come back in chest thumping...

    It's rather sad when you think about it. A sibling rivalry that the older, better looking, more established sibling wants no part of...
    Yes, the Met fans go gaga when they start off with a win in April proclaiming success, soon to disappear after losing like 18 out of twenty games...

  9. #49
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Defense - Tejada >>>>>>>>> Nunez
    Offense - Nunez > Tejada

    Overall Tejada is a better player. If Nunez learns to field at a competent level he'd be better than Tejada but that hasn't happened yet.
    Without question, if Tejada were Yankee property, he would lose the competition in spring training to Nunez in the battle to be Jeter's backup. He offers you nothing in that role. He just OK at everything. Nunez at least gives you a late inning threat to pinch run . Tejada would be playing for Trenton. He's really even worthy of conversation, and he's your starter.

  10. #50
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,663
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Without question, if Tejada were Yankee property, he would lose the competition in spring training to Nunez in the battle to be Jeter's backup. He offers you nothing in that role. He just OK at everything. Nunez at least gives you a late inning threat to pinch run . Tejada would be playing for Trenton. He's really even worthy of conversation, and he's your starter.
    Nunez is an incompetent fielder and isn't really the hitter you make him out to be. He can run and is an average bat. A liability in the field at SS isn't worth the slight benefit at the plate over Tejada.

  11. #51
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Nunez is an incompetent fielder and isn't really the hitter you make him out to be. He can run and is an average bat. A liability in the field at SS isn't worth the slight benefit at the plate over Tejada.
    Again, in a backup role to Derek Jeter , no one cares about your defense. Defense as a primary (and only) selling point for a player is English for "he sucks".

  12. #52
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,764
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Yankees - A lot depends on what they do in April when 99% of the team is on the DL
    2. Jays - lots of talent but they won’t put it together until the end of the season
    3 Rays - They will win games but not enough
    4 Orioles - They won’t win 75 1-run games like they did last season
    5 Sox - wait till next year

  13. #53
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    4,301
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Jays
    2. Rays
    3. Yankees
    4. Orioles
    5. Red Sox

  14. #54
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    4,301
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMike View Post
    RAYS win the division easy

    Yankees are more of a mess then the Jets
    I like your thinking! But I just don't know if they have enough hitting, YET. Will be interesting to see if/when Wil Myers comes up to the big leagues and how much of an impact he will have. Could you imagine if he becomes the next Mike Trout? Ahh wishful thinking...

  15. #55
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,161
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Again, in a backup role to Derek Jeter , no one cares about your defense. Defense as a primary (and only) selling point for a player is English for "he sucks".

    You're assuming Jeter is going to play every day, which he isn't. And a 22 yr old Tejada stepping into the SS position on a team that just let Jose Reyes go & hit. 290 and finished 3rd in fielding percentage doesn't suck. Get your head out of our a$$ and Happy Easter.

  16. #56
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGnW View Post
    I like your thinking! But I just don't know if they have enough hitting, YET. Will be interesting to see if/when Wil Myers comes up to the big leagues and how much of an impact he will have. Could you imagine if he becomes the next Mike Trout? Ahh wishful thinking...
    The kid is supposed to be a stud be well see.

  17. #57
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    You're assuming Jeter is going to play every day, which he isn't. And a 22 yr old Tejada stepping into the SS position on a team that just let Jose Reyes go & hit. 290 and finished 3rd in fielding percentage doesn't suck. Get your head out of our a$$ and Happy Easter.
    Fielding percentage. ROFLMAO.

    You're on a roll.

  18. #58
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,764
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Fielding percentage. ROFLMAO.

    You're on a roll.
    Fielding percentage is a joke statistic.

    Get off the floor. A man of your age should show a little more dignity.

  19. #59
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,307
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yanks
    O's
    Rays
    Jays
    Sox

  20. #60
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,161
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    O's definitely slip a bit. So do the Rays, but not as much. Jays improve, and Yankees a little less than last year, but not nearly as much as some want to believe. The division could go to any one of those four, really. Sox certain to finish last. They're not good.

    1) Yankees
    2) Jays
    3) Orioles
    4) Rays
    5) Sox

    Care to rethink these picks, JP???

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us