Thread: LaRon's brother, Dawan, visits with Jets

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

LaRon's brother, Dawan, visits with Jets

To say the Jets have a need at safety would be the understatement of the week. They cut Eric Smith and lost starters LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell in free agency, leaving second-year players Antonio Allen and Josh Bush, neither of whom has played safety in the base defense.

So it comes as no surprise that the Jets are visiting Wednesday with former Jaguars S Dawan Landry, a source confirmed. It was first reported by NFL.com.
    By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Landry, released in early March because he was due to make $5.35 million, would seem to be an ideal fit for the Jets. Landry knows the system, having played under Rex Ryan and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman with the Ravens from 2006 to 2008. He's LaRon's older brother and was instrumental in LaRon signing last year with the Jets as a free agent, providing intel on Ryan and his system.

Landry, 30, has played seven years in the league (all as a starter), the last two with the Jaguars. He has 12 interceptions, 5.5 sacks and three TD returns.

In another free-agency developments, the Jets are showing interest in former Redskins TE Fred Davis, who recently visited with the Bills. QB Jason Campbell, linked to the Jets early in free agency, signed with the Browns. In fact, the Jets never were in the hunt.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this guy the thumper that LaRon was? If he's even close, I think that is a great substitute for LaRon.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    not a thumper at all, i think just a good all around saftey. Better cover skills.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always thought LaRon was villainized by many on this board because he wasn't great in coverage.

Although, I'll readily admit that, did think he would be best with a good pass rush in front of him - something the Jets really haven't had.

So if Dawan is a good all around safety as you say he is, then that should be the best of both worlds. Is there any real chance the team does sign him? What are his money demands? Anyone know?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I always thought LaRon was villainized by many on this board because he wasn't great in coverage.

Although, I'll readily admit that, did think he would be best with a good pass rush in front of him - something the Jets really haven't had.

So if Dawan is a good all around safety as you say he is, then that should be the best of both worlds. Is there any real chance the team does sign him? What are his money demands? Anyone know?
    According to this article Landy could command a contract similar to the three-year, $6.0 million deal Michael Huff reached with the Ravens on Wednesday.

EyeOnFootballDawan Landry meets with the Jets
    By Matt Rybaltowski | CBSSports.comMarch 27, 2013 7:04 pm ET

Dawan Landry (left) reportedly met with the Jets on Wednesday. (USATSI)

If Dawan Landry needs a better indication of how the strong safety is used in Rex Ryan's defensive scheme, he can receive the answers with a quick phone call to his younger brother LaRon.

Nearly two weeks after LaRon Landry left the New York Jets by signing a four-year deal with the Colts, Dawan met with the team on Wednesday according to multiple reports. The elder Landry was released by the Jaguars earlier this month in a cost-cutting move.

If Landry signs with the Jets he will be reunited with Ryan, his former defensive coordinator in Baltimore. Landry, a fifth-round pick of the Ravens in 2006, enjoyed two of the best seasons of his career in Ryan's system before suffering a serious season-ending neck injury early in the 2008 season. Ryan left to become the Jets' head coach months later.

As a rookie in 2006, Landry finished with five interceptions and six pass defenses while playing alongside Ed Reed on the league's top-ranked defense. Landry (6-1, 212) was named to several All-Rookie teams and was one of only seven players to garner a vote for AP Defensive Rookie of the Year. He followed it up with a stellar season in 2007 when he recorded 82 tackles -- the third-most on the Ravens' defense behind Bart Scott and Ray Lewis.

Landry, 30, had started 32 consecutive games in Jacksonville after signing a five-year contract with the Jaguars in 2011. Last season, Landry finished third on the team in total tackles with 100. The eight-year veteran was set to make $3.9 million in 2013 before his release.

Landry struggled at times in pass coverage as opposing quarterbacks finished with a quarterback rating of 107.4 on throws in his direction, according to Pro Football Focus. Only six starting safeties in the league fared worse in the category, the website found. He wasn't helped, though, by a front seven that generated little pressure and finished last in the league in sacks per pass attempt.

LaRon, meanwhile, resurrected his injury-plagued career in his only season with the Jets. Coming off an Achilles injury that cut his 2011 season short with the Redskins, LaRon finished with career-highs in combined tackles (100) and forced fumbles (four) last season. Despite the loss of Darrelle Revis for most of the season, the Jets still ranked second in the NFL against the pass.

The loss of Landry's younger brother and Yeremiah Bell, as well as the release of Eric Smith leaves the Jets with one of the least-experienced safety tandems in the AFC. Josh Bush and Antonio Allen, the Jets' projected starters at safety, will each be entering their second season in 2013. Landy could command a contract similar to the three-year, $6.0 million deal Michael Huff reached with the Ravens on Wednesday.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    At $2 mil/per, doesn't sound like a bad deal for an experienced (but not old) player that has had some success and is at least competent at the position.

If Bush can step up at FS - tall task since we didn't see much last year - I'd be okay with that tandem. Especially if Revis remains on the roster.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Landry was loved on this board. Much more than he should've been. Football outsiders had him as among the worst overall safeties in football last year. Sure, he can make a hit, but as you noticed, he was a liability in the passing game. I say this as a Landry fan- there's something to say about a guy who can bring a little needed swagger to a defense - but I don't blame the Jets for not trying to find the $$$ to bring him back.