Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex works out SMU's Margus Hunt at Pro Day

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Rex works out SMU's Margus Hunt at Pro Day

Jets (Rex) work out SMU's Margus Hunt at Pro Day

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
    March 27, 2013

Rex Ryan was at Southern Methodist University today, paying particular attention to 6-8, 275-pound defensive end Margus Hunt.

As The Star-Ledger reported last week, the Jets have significant interest in the defensive end. At the conclusion of his workout, though, Hunt said he was surprised Ryan worked him out as an outside linebacker.

However, this isn't out of the ordinary for Ryan. When the Jets were after Quinton Coples last year, Ryan went down to North Carolina's Pro Day and worked Coples out as an OLB as well as a defensive end, where he ended up playing in 2012.

“It was something future-wise that was pushed up to this time, so I had to make the adjustment early,” Coples said in June after a day of working out at outside linebacker in practice. “I’m looking forward to being part of that linebacker corps in the future.”

Ryan, who's defense thrives on simulated pressures -- formations where defensive ends often drop back or roam the line of scrimmage -- loves his draft picks to be versatile. Muhammad Wilkerson could also play multiple positions along the defensive line.

Hunt will visit the Jets along with Oregon pass rusher Dion Jordan, according to people familiar with the situation who requested anonymity. This fits in with both Ryan's desire for more pressure and John Idzik's penchant for pass rushers.

Hunt ran an eye-opening 4.6 40-yard dash at the combine and threw up 38 reps on the bench. The Estonian-born former track and field star has blocked 17 kicks in his NCAA career, including seven in one season, both just shy of records.

Last year, Hunt had eight sacks and an interception for the Mustangs.

Also in Jets news....

Unrestricted free agent Chaz Schilens is on a visit to the Tennessee Titans today, according to CBS Sports.

Also, the Browns plan to release QB Colt McCoy, according to the Plain Dealer. The Jets could still be on the lookout to add competition to their preseason QB battle.

People will freak if we take Hunt in the 2nd round. Another Wilk/Coples like Dlineman? People will freak.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    People will freak if we take Hunt in the 2nd round. Another Wilk/Coples like Dlineman? People will freak.
    6'8 275 and he ran a 4.6 40??

Freak in a good or bad way? Some sites have him going in the first round. He is a bit of a project and would be a solid pick in the 2nd round.

Hall Of Fame
    I think it depends on who they take in the first round. A lot of scouts think Hunt can transition to OLB in a 3-4. Wilk, Coples and Hunt could all play on the field at the same time.

This is true. But how often do you see a 6-8 275-lb guy that can run a 4.6 and put up 38 reps?

After the Gholston disaster I hope the team doesn't get caught up in the numbers...but you have to take a good look at a guy like this.

All Pro
    6'8 and 4.6 40 is not a Wilk Coples type DE. They could put him at strong side LB. I certainly wouldn't freak.

I am ok with the pats taking him at 29. The upside on the guy is just too high IMO. To be expected for a guy so tall his short shuttle was not what you would like to see only a tenth less than his straight line. But as a RDE on the opposite side from Jones would be a good fit. He is certainly tall enough to add 20 and play the 3-4 also.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I think it depends on who they take in the first round. A lot of scouts think Hunt can transition to OLB in a 3-4. Wilk, Coples and Hunt could all play on the field at the same time.
    Also, the Giants drafted JPP when they already had Osi/Tuck/Canty/Kiwanuka.

The theory that "you can never have enough pass rushers" will be especially true if this team cuts ties with Revis.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I don't claim to have even seen this guy play, but I don't like what I've read. Yeah, he's a physical specimen, but he's only played 4 years of football in his life, and wasn't very productive doing so. You'd think a guy with his athleticism could dominate in college football, even with the lack of experience. Given the Jets lack of developing anyone lately, what makes a guy like this could come in here and turn into a certified football player?

All Pro
    Just remember who mocked this in their march draft

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    6'8 275 and he ran a 4.6 40??
    PEDs are a wonderful thing.

Perhaps the Jets should actually draft an OLB if they want to fill that slot.
    Changing guys positions is not always a successful approach.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    I don't claim to have even seen this guy play, but I don't like what I've read. Yeah, he's a physical specimen, but he's only played 4 years of football in his life, and wasn't very productive doing so. You'd think a guy with his athleticism could dominate in college football, even with the lack of experience. Given the Jets lack of developing anyone lately, what makes a guy like this could come in here and turn into a certified football player?
    Rex has never had a problem developing defensive players. Mo Wilk is better than expected and Coples is showing signs of the same. Just because they couldn't develop Sanchez/Ducasse on offense has no relevance to this situation.

Also he had 8.5 sacks last year which was about what he had in his first 3 years combined. Sure he is a physical freak, but he came to America for track and field. Decided to give football a try and within a couple of years was dominating some games (not to mention his blocked kicks.)

Again, his age and his lack of experience drop him to the end of the 1st or 2nd. But he is still a solid possible pick in the 2nd for us.

He absolutely destroyed my Fresno State team in the bowl game. I had never heard of him before that and he single handedly shut down a very good offense, not sure about him in the second, but he reminds me of JJ Watt, he's a very big guy with speed, constant fight, power and very long arms(in a uniform).

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfansocal View Post
    He absolutely destroyed my Fresno State team in the bowl game.
    He murdered fresno state in that game. Watch him get comfortable and from the 2nd QT on.... destruction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNUN-Sqj_Y

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfansocal View Post
    He absolutely destroyed my Fresno State team in the bowl game. I had never heard of him before that and he single handedly shut down a very good offense, not sure about him in the second, but he reminds me of JJ Watt, he's a very big guy with speed, constant fight, power and very long arms(in a uniform).
    I am probably the only SMU grad who posts on this board. I have watched him play in dozens of games over the past few years.

Simply put, Margus is a physical freak. He only started playing football when SMU killed the men's track team.
    1) he got better every year
    2) he has a big motor and likes contact. Frankly, he plays mean.
    3) he has good hands and quick feet. Had he started playing earlier, he would have been a great TE or RT
    4) his only issue is that he plays "high" because of his height.

When he gets going, he is a one man wrecking crew.

He is a potential all pro, but could be a huge bust.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Rex has never had a problem developing defensive players. Mo Wilk is better than expected and Coples is showing signs of the same. Just because they couldn't develop Sanchez/Ducasse on offense has no relevance to this situation.

Also he had 8.5 sacks last year which was about what he had in his first 3 years combined. Sure he is a physical freak, but he came to America for track and field. Decided to give football a try and within a couple of years was dominating some games (not to mention his blocked kicks.)

Again, his age and his lack of experience drop him to the end of the 1st or 2nd. But he is still a solid possible pick in the 2nd for us.
    You mean like:

- Vernon Gholston
    - Kyle Wilson
    - Josh Mauga
    - Nick Bellore
    - Ricky Sapp
    - Martin Tevaseau
    - Jamaal Westerman
    - Marcus Dixon
    - Marques Murrell
    - Shawn Crable
    - Ropati Pitoitua
    - Brashton Satele
    - Emanuel Cook
    - Jarron Gilbert
    - Brandon Renkart
    - Kenwin Cummings

I believe Rex praised all of these players saying they had potential to be great but none of them developed into anything under Rex.

Rex is great with schemes and motivating players. But he is a horrible judge of talent and has no track record developing players. Guys like Wilk and Coples are 1st round talents. They are supposed to become good players.

i have a problem with the jets drafting a guy who will be 26 years old when the season starts. that's not what the jets need.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i have a problem with the jets drafting a guy who will be 26 years old when the season starts. that's not what the jets need.
    I agree, thats a huge negative with Hunt. Especially when he has played football for only 4 years.