Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66

Thread: Rex works out SMU's Margus Hunt at Pro Day

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I like the player. I like his measurables. I like his upside but he is not a friggin olb. no way no how. He will be another Wilk, Coples type player which is fine because they are good and Hunt is a nice sounding prospect. However we have no olbs, a hole at guard, no pass catching TE, a shaky safety situation. Worrisome ilb depth, a lack of play makers on offense.

    If you look at hunt by himself he is a nice looking player, stick him in the draft and see who else is there for Jets at the time it would be a luxury pick to choose him.

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,702
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    I don't claim to have even seen this guy play, but I don't like what I've read. Yeah, he's a physical specimen, but he's only played 4 years of football in his life, and wasn't very productive doing so. You'd think a guy with his athleticism could dominate in college football, even with the lack of experience. Given the Jets lack of developing anyone lately, what makes a guy like this could come in here and turn into a certified football player?
    The first 2 years, he was lost a lot and they used him as a kick blocker.

    He didn't really come into his own until the Compass Bowl against Pitt. He made the Pitt OL his *****.

    This season, he dominated the weaker teams even though the often double teamed him. Against the better teams (Aggies, Baylor, TCU), he did jus ok but was double teamed the entire game. The Aggies had a top tackle starting for them and they gave him help with Margus most of the night.

    What he did to Fresno's OL in the bowl was a war crime.

  3. #23
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    He murdered fresno state in that game. Watch him get comfortable and from the 2nd QT on.... destruction
    Do a search for Fresno State oline prospects for this draft......I dare you.

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Hey, I like the player. I like his measurables. I like his upside but he is not a friggin olb. no way no how. He will be another Wilk, Coples type player which is fine because they are good and Hunt is a nice sounding prospect. However we have no olbs, a hole at guard, no pass catching TE, a shaky safety situation. Worrisome ilb depth, a lack of play makers on offense.

    If you look at hunt by himself he is a nice looking player, stick him in the draft and see who else is there for Jets at the time it would be a luxury pick to choose him.
    Agreed. I asked Paradis yesterday if Hopkins and Hunt were both there in the second round, who do you take? He and I both said you have to take Hopkins at that point.

  5. #25
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jackson Heights
    Posts
    2,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Perhaps the Jets should actually draft an OLB if they want to fill that slot.
    Changing guys positions is not always a successful approach.
    They can't afford to miss on projects. The Jets need to draft sure things this April.

    Of course it's all a crap shoot, but I'd leave the tweeners, and QBs turning into RB's, WR's, TE's alone.

    Versatility, leadership and playmakers.

  6. #26
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    They can't afford to miss on projects. The Jets need to draft sure things this April.

    Of course it's all a crap shoot, but I'd leave the tweeners, and QBs turning into RB's, WR's, TE's alone.

    Versatility, leadership and playmakers.

    Agree. Jets have "some" DL already. No OLBs of quality. At 9 thet can pick who they like for OLB- Jordan, Ansah, Jones.
    Enough experimenting.

  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    7,790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Do a search for Fresno State oline prospects for this draft......I dare you.
    shhhh! Don't draw attention to that!

    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Agree. Jets have "some" DL already. No OLBs of quality. At 9 thet can pick who they like for OLB- Jordan, Ansah, Jones.
    Enough experimenting.
    Let's look at the dline.

    DE/DT
    Coples
    Wilk
    DeVito...GONE
    Harrison...WHO CARES

    NT
    Pouha ...GONE
    Ellis... TOTAL QUESTION MARK

    We got 2 guys and mystery JAG. Don't care if they were drafted in the 1st. Outside of ILB, our entire front 7 is thin/none-existent

  8. #28
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Hey, I like the player. I like his measurables. I like his upside but he is not a friggin olb. no way no how. He will be another Wilk, Coples type player which is fine because they are good and Hunt is a nice sounding prospect. However we have no olbs, a hole at guard, no pass catching TE, a shaky safety situation. Worrisome ilb depth, a lack of play makers on offense.

    If you look at hunt by himself he is a nice looking player, stick him in the draft and see who else is there for Jets at the time it would be a luxury pick to choose him.
    Exactly! He is a luxury.

  9. #29
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,915
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    6'8 275 and he ran a 4.6 40??
    Can he catch?

  10. #30
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,702
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TKasper01 View Post
    Can he catch?
    Yes. He has good hands, can jump, and adjust to the ball. He blocked an insane number of kicks despite the fact teams tried to do everything to stop him.

    Unfortunately, he didn't grow up in the states and is still learning the game. He has all the physical tools, a good head on his shoulders, and a mean streak. He just needs more experience.

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    You mean like:

    - Vernon Gholston
    - Kyle Wilson
    - Josh Mauga
    - Nick Bellore
    - Ricky Sapp
    - Martin Tevaseau
    - Jamaal Westerman
    - Marcus Dixon
    - Marques Murrell
    - Shawn Crable
    - Ropati Pitoitua
    - Brashton Satele
    - Emanuel Cook
    - Jarron Gilbert
    - Brandon Renkart
    - Kenwin Cummings

    I believe Rex praised all of these players saying they had potential to be great but none of them developed into anything under Rex.

    Rex is great with schemes and motivating players. But he is a horrible judge of talent and has no track record developing players. Guys like Wilk and Coples are 1st round talents. They are supposed to become good players.
    Every last one of those guys sucked or was marginal at best. Can't really blame Rex for their lack of success. Not everyone is going to succeed. Although Gholston had a good college career, he was already a shell when Rex inherited him. The rest of them were marginal, at best, although often overvalued on this board.

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    And the Kyle Wilson story isn't over yet.

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    And the Kyle Wilson story isn't over yet.
    and ditto for:- Josh Mauga
    - Nick Bellore
    - Ricky Sapp

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    7,790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    You mean like:

    - Vernon Gholston
    - Kyle Wilson
    - Josh Mauga
    - Nick Bellore
    - Ricky Sapp
    - Martin Tevaseau
    - Jamaal Westerman
    - Marcus Dixon
    - Marques Murrell
    - Shawn Crable
    - Ropati Pitoitua
    - Brashton Satele
    - Emanuel Cook
    - Jarron Gilbert
    - Brandon Renkart
    - Kenwin Cummings

    .
    Pff c'mon...

    It would be telling if some these guys went on to be successful SOMEWHERE ELSE. Then we'd know it was a matter coaching/development. But they haven't. Not even serviceable.

    None of these guys were "high" profile people outside of Gholston and that one's hardly got Rex's stink all over it.
    Last edited by Paradis; 03-28-2013 at 04:02 PM.

  15. #35
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Pff c'mon...

    It would be telling if some these guys went on to be successful SOMEWHERE ELSE. Then we'd know it was a matter coaching/development. But they haven't. Not even serviceable.

    None of these guys were "high" profile people outside of Gholston and that one's hardly got Rex's stink all over it.
    Exactly. And even Kyle Wilson was a productive player for us last year. I mean he replaced an all time great CB and we hardly felt the difference.

    Meanwhile, guys like Pouha, Devito, Mo Wilk, Coples all developed nicely under Ryan. The verdict is still out on guys like Bush, Allen and Ellis.

    But for kennyo to kill Rex for not turning Gholston around when he has busted out everywhere else he has gone is pretty retarded. The same with the rest of the Jags on that list.

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,648
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Pff c'mon...

    It would be telling if some these guys went on to be successful SOMEWHERE ELSE. Then we'd know it was a matter coaching/development. But they haven't. Not even serviceable.

    None of these guys were "high" profile people outside of Gholston and that one's hardly got Rex's stink all over it.
    I agree with you. BUT, Rex was singing the praises of many if not most of these guys as if they were going to be regular contributors. All of these guys were portrayed by Rex as "up n commers" who spent a good deal of time on the roster only to amount to nothing

  17. #37
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,648
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Exactly. And even Kyle Wilson was a productive player for us last year. I mean he replaced an all time great CB and we hardly felt the difference.

    Meanwhile, guys like Pouha, Devito, Mo Wilk, Coples all developed nicely under Ryan. The verdict is still out on guys like Bush, Allen and Ellis.

    But for kennyo to kill Rex for not turning Gholston around when he has busted out everywhere else he has gone is pretty retarded. The same with the rest of the Jags on that list.
    Ill give him Pouha and Devito.
    Mo Wilk and Coples were 1st round talents who would develop under just about any half way decent coach

  18. #38
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    7,790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I agree with you. BUT, Rex was singing the praises of many if not most of these guys as if they were going to be regular contributors. All of these guys were portrayed by Rex as "up n commers" who spent a good deal of time on the roster only to amount to nothing
    Well he is certainly guilty of blowing half the roster in front of the media. I guess he thinks it injects some confidence into the players when they hear back how he speaks of them.

  19. #39
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    You mean like:

    - Vernon Gholston
    - Kyle Wilson
    - Josh Mauga
    - Nick Bellore
    - Ricky Sapp
    - Martin Tevaseau
    - Jamaal Westerman
    - Marcus Dixon
    - Marques Murrell
    - Shawn Crable
    - Ropati Pitoitua
    - Brashton Satele
    - Emanuel Cook
    - Jarron Gilbert
    - Brandon Renkart
    - Kenwin Cummings

    I believe Rex praised all of these players saying they had potential to be great but none of them developed into anything under Rex.

    Rex is great with schemes and motivating players. But he is a horrible judge of talent and has no track record developing players. Guys like Wilk and Coples are 1st round talents. They are supposed to become good players.
    Quite a superficial, slanted analysis. You can't even fully develop your thoughts, and yet you can point fingers. Nice.

    Kyle Wilson is a solid cornerback, with excellent closing and tackling skills; the man picked in front of him is struggling. (But you wouldn't break BB's balls).

    Your list is peppered with role players that have clearly demonstrated the ability to produce in the NFL.

    Plenty of 1st rounders have to be polished.


    0 stars

  20. #40
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kyle Wilson is a dammed fine CB who would start on most NFL teams.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us