Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rex works out SMU's Margus Hunt at Pro Day

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if Rex told him we were picking him.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I agree with you. BUT, Rex was singing the praises of many if not most of these guys as if they were going to be regular contributors. All of these guys were portrayed by Rex as "up n commers" who spent a good deal of time on the roster only to amount to nothing
    It amazes me how there are still people who don't understand that Rex believes in positive visualization -- that if you paint a picture of someone stepping up and achieving great things, they will rise to the occasion and actually do it. Sometimes it works (giving the team a playoff schedule that went right up to a post-Championship parade down the Canyon of Heroes in 2009), and sometimes it doesn't (making Holmes a team captain).

In any event, anyone who doesn't take Rex's bold talk with a grain of salt, does so at his own risk.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    there is only one pass rusher in the draft and that's Barkevious Mingo, everyone else is a toss up and don't tell me jarvis jones

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    This is true. But how often do you see a 6-8 275-lb guy that can run a 4.6 and put up 38 reps?

After the Gholston disaster I hope the team doesn't get caught up in the numbers...but you have to take a good look at a guy like this.
    Exactly. Not to mention the guy had above average productivity 2 go with the measurables.

I wouldn't be upset at all if th Jets went wth Jarvis Jones in the 1st, Hunt with the 2, Lattimore in the 3rd, then OL, S etc thereafter. That would be quite a haul

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J.E.T.Sfan4life View Post
    there is only one pass rusher in the draft and that's Barkevious Mingo, everyone else is a toss up and don't tell me jarvis jones
    28 sacks in 2 seasons is considered a toss up?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    can he catch the ball? put him at te.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    6'8 275 and he ran a 4.6 40??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a college fan, haven't seen him play, but the dude deserves credit just for that first name.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    I am probably the only SMU grad who posts on this board. I have watched him play in dozens of games over the past few years.

Simply put, Margus is a physical freak. He only started playing football when SMU killed the men's track team.
    1) he got better every year
    2) he has a big motor and likes contact. Frankly, he plays mean.
    3) he has good hands and quick feet. Had he started playing earlier, he would have been a great TE or RT
    4) his only issue is that he plays "high" because of his height.

When he gets going, he is a one man wrecking crew.

He is a potential all pro, but could be a huge bust.
    One of my favorite prospects in the draft. The guy will go top 20.

I don't see why he's not hyped liked ansah. He's an even bigger freak and uses his hands better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mingo is Aaron maybin.

You can't just run around the tackle every play in the nfl

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    One of my favorite prospects in the draft. The guy will go top 20.

I don't see why he's not hyped liked ansah. He's an even bigger freak and uses his hands better.
    He's 26

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really? Mingo had 4.5 sacks last year. If you want to say it was a scheme issue, well then Dion Jordan could say the same thing and Jordan is more freakish than Mingo. As for actual production, Jarvis Jones blows everyone away in the sack category while in college. I would also venture that some scouts would say Ansah is just as equipped to be a pass rusher in the NFL.

Where did you come up with the concept that mingo is the only pass rusher in this draft? You go to LSU or related to Mingo in some way?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    He's 26
    Yup, its generally not a combination to be a "project" and a 26 year old rookie. By the time he "figures it out" he will be "old" in NFL terms.

With that said, I would love him in the 2nd round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Also, the Giants drafted JPP when they already had Osi/Tuck/Canty/Kiwanuka.

The theory that "you can never have enough pass rushers" will be especially true if this team cuts ties with Revis.

Wow, I am surprised I though he did not look good in space at all. his Short shuttle of over 4.5 is not very indicative of a guy that transitions well at all.
    Last edited by patman; 03-29-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: wrong post

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Yup, its generally not a combination to be a "project" and a 26 year old rookie. By the time he "figures it out" he will be "old" in NFL terms.

With that said, I would love him in the 2nd round.
    Pouha was old too, and he did very good. All that matters is his first contract /5 years. It's rare we have players that long on the team. David Harris will be cut next year, revis is gone and even mangold may be gone in a year or two.

Btw Hunt will not be there in round. He put up a super Mario type combine

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    Pouha was old too, and he did very good. All that matters is his first contract /5 years. It's rare we have players that long on the team. David Harris will be cut next year, revis is gone and even mangold may be gone in a year or two.

Btw Hunt will not be there in round. He put up a super Mario type combine
    Lets not get too carried away.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    shhhh! Don't draw attention to that!

Let's look at the dline.

DE/DT
    Coples
    Wilk
    DeVito...GONE
    Harrison...WHO CARES

NT
    Pouha ...GONE
    Ellis... TOTAL QUESTION MARK

We got 2 guys and mystery JAG. Don't care if they were drafted in the 1st. Outside of ILB, our entire front 7 is thin/none-existent

Watch what you say here. I tried to appease the Wilk and Coples fans (Ellis too) who believe they are stars. I'm dubious.
    However, we must admit the Jets have NOTHING at OLB. That, I think, is where they should go first.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Swedish Placekickers, Australlian Punters, Linemen from Haiti, Rugby player Tight Ends from London, why not an Estonian Shotputter who has only been playing football a few years? This guy fits right in with our obsession to scour the world to catch lightning in a bottle and with our egotistical Head Coach he can be coached up to learn a new position in no time.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was watching the Senior Bowl game last night (DVR is great) just to start looking more in depth at some players that we are talking about on this board. Regarding Hunt, he got faked out on two counter plays against the run and the announcers picked up on that. The fake allowed for a 16 yard gain because Hunt came inside while the pitch back took the RB to the outside. Now, I'm sure the coaching staff can work on that but that was "instinctive" and he did not show it on those two plays.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Lets not get too carried away.
    Hunt's combine was every bit as good as William's:

Ran a 4.53 vs 4.7 '40
    Did 38 reps vs 35
    Ran a 7.07 vs 7.21 3 cone
    Broad jump was 1" further

Williams had a better vertical - "40.5 vs 34.5"
    And better shuttle - 4.37 vs 4.51

Both are freaks. I think Hunt is gone in rd. 1, even with his age.
    Last edited by Monsterxman; 03-30-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think Hunt will be there into the 2nd round. Question is, do the jets go another direction at 9 since there will be pass rushers available, and hope that someone they really covet like Hunt or Nassib is there in the 2nd. In the latter case, they run the risk of missing out on a 1st or 2nd rd pass rusher altogether.

1. Warmack/Austin
    2. Hunt/Nassib