Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow - a positive article about our Jets!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow - a positive article about our Jets!

It has been a rough couple of seasons for the fans of the New York Jets.

How far away are the Jets?

Options for New York in the draft and why the team will improve in 2013

Originally Published: March 28, 2013
    By Mel Kiper Jr. | ESPN Insider

Over the past five seasons, the New York Jets haven't had a single player go over 1,000 yards receiving in a season. That's not some exclamation point meant to define the era, it's part of a bigger point. Four of those years consist of the unofficial "Mark Sanchez Era" -- a period that has been defined by very good defense and consistently inconsistent play on the offensive side of the ball. (The high point for passing yards per game during this period was 21st in the NFL, in 2011.) We tend to call the Jets a team built on defense, one that needs to "control the ball." Except the running game also has fallen apart over the past two seasons -- the Jets have averaged 3.8 yards per carry each year. Add it up, and you have an official period of decline over the past two seasons consisting of 8-8 and 6-10 records.

It's an outmoded way of thinking to say offenses need to establish the run, or establish the pass. Teams play to their strengths, and you don't consistently do something likely to be less successful just to set up something better. The fact with the Jets over the past two seasons is it really hasn't mattered what they have tried to do. The running game has been completely devoid of explosiveness, and the passing game under Sanchez has been simply bad. One side hasn't been able to set up the other, because neither side can consistently offer a threat.

Bottom line: The offense has been the problem. And despite where the offense is in terms of personnel, I still don't believe the Jets are in some total rebuild mode.

Here are some reasons why, and why the draft can be a part of the solution.

The defense is still strong

The 2012 Jets were sixth in total defense. Think about that based on what this defense was dealing with. They lacked any consistent pass rush off the edge; they lost the best corner (Darrelle Revis) in the NFL early in the season; safety play wasn't great; and they saw decline years from Bart Scott, David Harris, Calvin Pace and LaRon Landry. Oh, and the offense was a three-and-out machine. Add up all the problems, and that still-good No. 6 ranking represented the worst defense statistically in the Rex Ryan era. The Jets can be better at every position they were lacking in 2012, and the defensive line is going to be a major strength with the continued development of recent first-rounders Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples. I don't care what you give Ryan to work with, he's going to scheme his way to a top-10 defense and I don't think this unit is going to take a step back.

The passing game should be better
    William Perlman/The Star-Ledger/US PresswireSantonio Holmes' return from injury will boost New York's passing attack.

Yes, that's a relative statement given how bad it was in 2012, but even if Sanchez is under center in 2013, the passing game should improve. The loss of Dustin Keller doesn't help, but the return of Santonio Holmes gives the passing game at least one reliable target it lacked last season. Wideout Stephen Hill was bound to see major growing pains as a rookie given the college system he came from, but he should take a step forward in 2013. I still believe they need to find more help in the draft, but whether it's Sanchez, David Garrard or someone else entirely throwing passes, the passing game has no place to go but up.
    Same with the running game

Sorry, but regardless of what you think of Shonn Greene, his absence in 2013 isn't a setback. He lacked the ability to make defenders miss and isn't even the power back some consider him -- just 2.1 yards per carry after contact was good for 44th among qualifying runners last season. The current combination of Bilal Powell and Mike Goodson isn't impressive, but they offer more than Greene, and the draft could provide further help.

Draft options

So what can the Jets do in the draft?

For one, the Jets can improve the defense by adding a pass-rusher offenses truly need to account for on every play. An athletic freak such as Barkevious Mingo or a super-productive pass-rusher such as Jarvis Jones are among the options for an upgrade at No. 9.

Even if the offense is bound to be a little better in 2013, I still think the Jets need to add at least one "fear factor" element via the draft. By that I mean a player who can create explosive plays or clear matchup problems. Because the value range for that player isn't really at No. 9 (unless they go for a guy like Tavon Austin or Cordarrelle Patterson that early), the Jets could consider trading down to pick up an extra first-, second- or even an early third-round pick. This is a draft with a decent amount of depth at tight end, so finding a replacement for Keller in Rounds 2 or 3 could be an option, and adding another wideout who can cause safeties to play a little deeper -- Justin Hunter, Da'Rick Rogers and Terrance Williams come to mind -- also could be had after the first round.

The Jets also need help on the offensive line (right tackle was a pass protection issue last season), but could certainly find help at that position beyond the first round.

One other reality of this draft that could help the Jets is the fact that the safety class is really deep. Even if it's a third- or fourth-round pick, the Jets could find some immediate help at that currently depleted position.

Finally, there's the big question at quarterback, but this isn't a draft class that offers any assurances of an immediate upgrade, even over Sanchez or Garrard. With Jacksonville, Oakland, Cleveland, Arizona and Buffalo all drafting ahead of them, there is no chance Geno Smith slips down to them at No. 9 -- and taking any other quarterback that high would be a massive reach. Could they grab another QB later in the draft? Absolutely. But there's no one in this class that will offer help for Week 1 of 2013.

Drafting well offers no certainty that the Jets will make major strides in 2013. But by health, subtraction and development alone they could have a chance to be a little better at the skill positions. Remember that Ryan also has an uncanny ability to piece together an above-average defense and there should be reasons for hope.

It all starts at quarterback, but at least the new front office is taking a healthier approach to the idea of competition at the position headed into a new season. Every year we see teams we reflexively wrote off before the season make major strides and land back in the playoffs. The Jets were a total disaster in 2012, and yet were still just 6-10. This isn't a total rebuild, it's a team that could get better both through the draft and because in some areas, they'll be hard-pressed to play any worse.

This team is going to be better that what most of the media thinks and I want the Jets to shove it down their throats. Kudos to Mel Kiper to have a decent opinion which I believe to be true!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting article from the man who once stated that the Jets did not understand what the draft is about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much echoes my thoughts. This team will be very good on defense. The loss of Scott/Thomas/Pace/Smith is all addition by subtraction.

Of course, the effectiveness of the defense will be irrelevant if our offense (specifcally QB Play) is as pathetic as it was last year, but it can only get better (not saying much).

This draft is perfect for us. Not many studs, but VERY deep in alot of positions we need (Guard/LB/Safety).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two things I agree with in this article:

1) It's impossible for the Jets to be any worse on offense. They have been very bad. Add a lineman or two and this running game could immediately get better. That's really all that I am hoping for this season.

2) The defense is still going to be good. If there's one thing Rex Ryan knows it is defense. Like Kiper said the DL is an emerging force for the team. Assuming we have Revis all season? I like our chances to play great defense at times. Still tend to believe the team will have it's worst ranking defensively in the Rex Ryan era, but that also isn't saying much. The worst the team has ever been was their 8th overall ranking from last season. They'll likely still be top ten.

Really that's a recipe to win a lot of games. Good, strong defense and a productive running game can get us into the playoffs I believe. Still won't be able to come from behind. In fact, the minute we lose the lead we'd likely be done. So the key will be to always play with the lead.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, the tide seems to be turning. Still, the future of this team’s success will come down to Idzik’s draft selections.
    We shouldn’t expect much for 2013. I for one will be satisfied simply to see a team compete as hard as they can each and every play.
    Rex will have his hands full in getting this team to buy what he’s selling...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Interesting article from the man who once stated that the Jets did not understand what the draft is about.

That's a great video. Sad to watch, but great.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    That's a great video. Sad to watch, but great.
    Enough - I just got sick!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good article. With rare exceptions, Rex Ryan's football teams have a chance to win in just about every game simply because of his defense. Sure, they've sprung some leaks against the running game at times due to slow LBs, etc. but Rex will have football teams that compete no matter how bad his offense, simply because of his defense. A 7-6 win over Arizona comes to mind.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Good article. With rare exceptions, Rex Ryan's football teams have a chance to win in just about every game simply because of his defense. Sure, they've sprung some leaks against the running game at times due to slow LBs, etc. but Rex will have football teams that compete no matter how bad his offense, simply because of his defense. A 7-6 win over Arizona comes to mind.
    Thanks to McElroy..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

That is really hard to watch. An awful lot of terrible memories came flooding back to me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    By Mel Kiper Jr. | ESPN Insider
    Draft options

So what can the Jets do in the draft?

For one, the Jets can improve the defense by adding a pass-rusher offenses truly need to account for on every play. An athletic freak such as Barkevious Mingo is among the options for an upgrade at No. 9.

whats that name???...no way!

I am now officially changing my name to:

Baddniss Barkevicious

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    - The jets have not had a 100 yard receiver in a coons age.
    - The jets should be better with Holmes back.

Assclown Holmes is part of the problem not the solution.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mel Kiper Jr. echoes my thoughts exactly. People are bashing the Jets right now cause it's fun to. If they do even just "ok" in this upcoming draft they will still be a good team. If they nail their picks the Jets are a playoff team.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll never forget the 83 draft. I was at work (teaching) and had my paper with all the top draft picks at every position. My wife called me and said the Jets just drafted Ken O'brien....I looked at cornerback, defensive end , etc, not realizing he was a QB. We just passed on Marino and would have ten years of futility..........oh the pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    By Mel Kiper Jr. stopped reading at this. I'd rather see Bob threads posted.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    eh, it's mel kiper jr. have the jets fans sunk so low to give this clown some creds?

in reality, the way people talk about the jets it's a miracle they won 6. the fact is they had the texans and the patsies on the ropes before the wheels came off and much of their problems was caused by a spate of injuries to skill position players. of course sanchez being sanchez didn't help and the team did look like they were mailing it in from about game 12.

we'll see what happens. rex can certainly coach up the defense and if mornigweg does have as good as his hype and who knows where this ends up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    - The jets have not had a 100 yard receiver in a coons age.
    - The jets should be better with Holmes back.

Assclown Holmes is part of the problem not the solution.
    I think Holmes was really the catalyst of Sanchez' decline. If you think back it was week 4 when Holmes came back that Sanchez started to steadily lose his mojo. However, I can blame Shotty, Tanny, and Rex for allowing that to happen. Once Braylon(Sanchez' biggest defender, as seen in his tweets from Seattle) left, and Santonio got his big contract the problem intensified exponentially. Still Santonio is a great player if he's kept in check by a more dominant persona. I'm hoping Idzik(forced restructure), and MM will provide that. If Sanchez starts I hope we bring back Edwards as well. He is a great ego boost for Sanchez. I wish Sanchez could tell him to STFU himself, but sadly that is less likely than Revis taking a reasonable contract.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    By Mel Kiper Jr. stopped reading at this. I'd rather see Bob threads posted.
    He wasn't grading prospects, so it's okay to read it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfellow View Post
    I'll never forget the 83 draft. I was at work (teaching) and had my paper with all the top draft picks at every position. My wife called me and said the Jets just drafted Ken O'brien....I looked at cornerback, defensive end , etc, not realizing he was a QB. We just passed on Marino and would have ten years of futility..........oh the pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    C'mon Kenny O wasn't bad at all!Just not being very mobile and having the worst O line year after year is a bad recipe!He was very accurate with a strong arm!But what can u do when u have defenders in your face before the ball is in your hands!

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love watching Mel go manic with his picks I think that might be the only way he ejaculates.