Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how are we any worse than last year?

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    worse at safety with no landry

bad to worse with vlad at OG

otherwise it is trading some unknowns for decliners

Vlad isn't starting next season. If he does, Idzik & Rex both deserve to be fired. Yes we are worse at Safety but I'm thinking Revis might actually be back which helps the secondary.

It really all depends on who Idzik chooses to replace players that have been cut.

We really still have a nice group of players at this point. They certainly aren't dead weight, but they cannot possibly do it alone.

Depth and 2nd stringers along with starting linebackers will ultimately determine how good the defense can be.

On offense? Like I already said, we cannot possibly be any worse. ANYTHING Idkiz does will make the offense better.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin45 View Post
    Sanchez was 35th in QBR. It will be almost impossible for whoever the QB to do worse.
    If sanchez is the QB, he'll manage it.

It's true that some marginal/declining players have departed. But they knew the system.
    Where are all these GREAT new players coming from?
    The offense is dreadful. Onlt C and LT aare fine.
    The defense is ??? Cro is fine. Every other position is ??? Let's not start on the all pro Wilkerson either.
    Revis is still a mystery.
    6-10 would be a heroic effort.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    It's true that some marginal/declining players have departed. But they knew the system.
    Where are all these GREAT new players coming from?
    The offense is dreadful. Onlt C and LT aare fine.
    The defense is ??? Cro is fine. Every other position is ??? Let's not start on the all pro Wilkerson either.
    Revis is still a mystery.
    6-10 would be a heroic effort.
    we were 6th or 8th overall in defense last year, thats without revis and with our useless OLB in thomas/pace. I really dont think it could be worse. Only thing that is suspect is what we do at saftey but that can be corrected with one vet and adressed in the draft.

like i said before the offense can not get any worse. It can only get better. Holmes is comming back, Hill will be comming back with another year under his belt. Hopefully we draft a guard that can start right away and we have to hope that colon can stay healthy. Other than that, it comes down to sanchez. If he picks up the WCO well, we can win some games. I dont see us being worse than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by nybaseball5 View Post
    we were 6th or 8th overall in defense last year, thats without revis and with our useless OLB in thomas/pace. I really dont think it could be worse. Only thing that is suspect is what we do at saftey but that can be corrected with one vet and adressed in the draft.

like i said before the offense can not get any worse. It can only get better. Holmes is comming back, Hill will be comming back with another year under his belt. Hopefully we draft a guard that can start right away and we have to hope that colon can stay healthy. Other than that, it comes down to sanchez. If he picks up the WCO well, we can win some games. I dont see us being worse than last year.

Easy to play stats. That's because the other offenses didn't have the ball. They were scoring on Sanchez turnovers.
    Where are the NEW OLBs? DL backup? Not that the starters are that great.
    Safety? And let's get real about the ILB position.
    Let's draft a bunch of starters. It's easy. Let's also not forget this is a ROOKIE GM. He has not done this before. Suddenly he's the top of the heap? Until he's done something, he's nothing. Just like a rookie coach or player.

No Moore, no Slauson, no Landry, no Bell, no Pousha, no Keller ... no credilble ILB, OLB, .. no credible starting QB right now on the roster, Holmes coming off a season ending knee surgery, no RB on our roster that has ever started more than 2 games for an NFL team, possibly no Revis. A new OC who runs a WC pass heavy offense without a real accurate QB on the roster that fits that system and one of the leagues worst receiving corps. A complex defensive system with possibly 5 or more new starters. This is just what I thought of off the top of my head in less than 20 seconds.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Brian Schottenheimer.
    Tony Sparano.
    Marty Mornhinweg.

Three different offenses in three years.
    Point by point:

Brian was a negative
    Tony was a negative
    Marty is a positive.

Two negatives and a positive equal a positive.

Now to get serious... Marty is the best OC the Jets have had since Henning and the argument could be made that he is the best we have ever had. I look forward to seeing if he can meet the challenge that is our offense. He certainly has a proven track record and I think we can expect that to continue. Of course he will need a QB and that person is not on our roster yet. (see below).

Three different offenses in three years serves no one well. It will take time for the new offense to gel, as it will for the O-line with it's new players.

No playmakers.
    A quarterback with no support.
    A lame duck head coach.
    A general manager on a budget.

...and that's just the offense...
    One playmaker was injured. We have added a RB who can be a playmaker. Many of the "no playmakers" are not with the team this year. To restate a trite phrase: It's addition by subtraction. Further, I fully expect Idzik to add AT LEAST one (and possibly two) offensive playmaker(s) in the draft.

A QB with no support? We have a QB? Who is our QB? DO you know something the rest of us don't? While Sanchez MAY be the opening day QB, I wouldn't bet the farm on him playing out the season or even starting the season. Admittedly, in the past he has not been given the support he should have had. We need to find a QB.

Lame duck HC? Perhaps. This may motivate Rex to coach well enough to be retained. My biggest complaint regarding his coaching is not his gameday coaching, but rather, his stubborness in not changing players when it becomes necessary. As we all know, he seems to favor the older players and not give the younger guys many chances to get onto the field. Maybe the threat of losing his job will get him to have a shorter fuse with personnel changes.

Our GM must be on a budget this year thanks to the mess left behind by Tanny. So far he has brought in inexpensive players with lots of upside. It is too soon to know if this philosophy will serve us well.

[/QUOTE]

on defense...

New coordinator. and almost
    at least 6 new assistant coaches.
    At least 7 new starters.
    Our secondary left town, one more about to go.
    Lame duck head coach...
    GM on a budget.
    New coordinator... I think that last year's blabbermouth.... I mean DC, wasn't any great prize. Mark my words- watch him crash and burn in Buffalo. The first 2 years he was a figurehead and more of an assistant to Rex, with Rex making the calls. As Rex let him make more calls, the D declined. Rex has already said he will be calling the D this year. Rex made him look good. Again... addition by subtraction.

New position coaches and starters... Well on one hand that means it will take the D probably at least half the season to become cohesive. On the other hand we have had good young players waiting in the wings and we got rid of many of our slower older players. By midyear, this should be paying big dividends. Additionally I would expect the draft to yield one or two good players.

Our secondary was a strength last year. While I expect us to have good cornerbacks (with or without Revis), it's not very likely that our safeties will be nearly as good. I hope Idzik addresses this issue. It has become more important of late than in the past, since the large physical TE's have become more and more common in the league. I feel this is one of biggest holes.

...but wait! There's the special teams...
    SAR I
    I have no idea what to expect from our new STC. As much as I liked Westhoff, the past few years have not gone well and I think it may have been time for a change.

To sum it all up...

After looking at the big picture and weighing all the pluses and minuses, I think the scales are tipped towards the positive side. That is not to say we will have a great season, but I don't think it's a stretch to expect a better season than last.
    Last edited by Jet Blast; 03-30-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Easy to play stats. That's because the other offenses didn't have the ball. They were scoring on Sanchez turnovers.
    Where are the NEW OLBs? DL backup? Not that the starters are that great.
    Safety? And let's get real about the ILB position.
    Let's draft a bunch of starters. It's easy. Let's also not forget this is a ROOKIE GM. He has not done this before. Suddenly he's the top of the heap? Until he's done something, he's nothing. Just like a rookie coach or player.
    Stats? our defenses under rex speak for them self.

any new OLB we get, cant possibly be worse than what we had. DL back up? we signed a vet and we have a young prospect named damon harrison who we are high on. We need to see how our youth plays. We can speculate all we want. We need to see what these kids have. Idzik is a rookie gm, lets talk after the draft and see what we come up with. So far from what i see, i like.

Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    No Moore, no Slauson, no Landry, no Bell, no Pousha, no Keller ... no credilble ILB, OLB, .. no credible starting QB right now on the roster, Holmes coming off a season ending knee surgery, no RB on our roster that has ever started more than 2 games for an NFL team, possibly no Revis. A new OC who runs a WC pass heavy offense without a real accurate QB on the roster that fits that system and one of the leagues worst receiving corps. A complex defensive system with possibly 5 or more new starters. This is just what I thought of off the top of my head in less than 20 seconds.
    The only two credible name out of all those names you blabbered off is Brandon Moore and Sione Pohua. Slausen is a 2 year starter who is a serviceable JAG. Landry was a injury waiting to happen, lucky for us he survived. Bell is 34 years old who is also a JAG. What has keller done to make him warrant a roster spot with us?

David Harris isnt a credable ILB? is he over payed yes, but not a bum by any means. Any OLB we acquire this year will be just as good if not better than Pace/Thomas. Jeez McIntyer played better than both of them.

Im not worried about the D what so ever. Rex will make it work and we will get who we need after TC cuts to make it work. The whole offense is a question mark. It is all on mark sanchez this year. thats the bottom line. Really nothing else matters.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Mass Exodus of Talent-hardly--more like mass firing of over the hill players .
    Absolutely correct. Finally a GM that doesn't pay star wage for mediocre talent.

Your right. Our defense has not been able to close out games when they mattered and got blown out by the Niners, Dolphins, and Pats all at home. When was the last time our Defense dominated against anyone not named Cardinals or Jaguars?

The last two years Rexs defenses have been mediocre at best. Hardly the dominapnt defense he has promised and i dont care what the stats show. Watch the games.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Your right. Our defense has not been able to close out games when they mattered and got blown out by the Niners, Dolphins, and Pats all at home. When was the last time our Defense dominated against anyone not named Cardinals or Jaguars?

The last two years Rexs defenses have been mediocre at best. Hardly the dominapnt defense he has promised and i dont care what the stats show. Watch the games.
    did you happen to know how mark sanchez and the offense played in those games? No one is saying our defense is dominate. regardless of stats or not, our defense does not give up a lot of points especially through the air.

The only two credible name out of all those names you blabbered off is Brandon Moore and Sione Pohua. Slausen is a 2 year starter who is a serviceable JAG. Landry was a injury waiting to happen, lucky for us he survived. Bell is 34 years old who is also a JAG. What has keller done to make him warrant a roster spot with us?

David Harris isnt a credable ILB? is he over payed yes, but not a bum by any means. Any OLB we acquire this year will be just as good if not better than Pace/Thomas. Jeez McIntyer played better than both of them.

Im not worried about the D what so ever. Rex will make it work and we will get who we need after TC cuts to make it work. The whole offense is a question mark. It is all on mark sanchez this year. thats the bottom line. Really nothing else matters.
    Just cause you lose bums don't mean you'll find an improvement for bums. Personally I don't care for any players I mentioned minus Landry & Keller (possible we can find 2 better players but doubtful). Also I mentioned a credible ILB we're missing, next to Harris obviously. Now I don't diagree that we can improve our team but I'm simply stating the case as to why so called "Experts" would be picking us to be worse this year than last year. That's the point of this thread right? ...
    Last edited by LadainianIMnotDONE; 03-30-2013 at 02:14 PM.

This team is way worse.

Sanchez still here.
    Rex still here.
    Hired another OC castoff.
    Lost a few starters that were way better than the guy behind him. Not Scott. pace, thomas.
    We have done zero to improve.

This is going to get really ugly when we go 0-6 in the afc east alone.

any new OLB we get, cant possibly be worse than what we had. DL back up? we signed a vet and we have a young prospect named damon harrison who we are high on. We need to see how our youth plays. We can speculate all we want. We need to see what these kids have. Idzik is a rookie gm, lets talk after the draft and see what we come up with. So far from what i see, i like.

I am sure you have reservations for the SB.
    THE TEAM STINKS.
    This GM is annointed as some great? WHY? What has he ever done? 31 other GMs are losers and the Jets have the best suddenly? The savior.
    Haven't seen a thing yet. Perhaps he is paralyzed by indecision.

I am sure you have reservations for the SB.
    THE TEAM STINKS.
    This GM is annointed as some great? WHY? What has he ever done? 31 other GMs are losers and the Jets have the best suddenly? The savior.
    Haven't seen a thing yet. Perhaps he is paralyzed by indecision.
    Lol, no. I don't think we will be a playoff contender. Who said the gm was a great? I don't know where you got that from. I said what I like I see so far. Example waiting for the cornerback market to deplete to drive Revis's value up. Or not signing any high priced bad long term deals, ala Landry. Would you prefer our old gm signing everyone and putting us in bad draft and financial position? Ill take my chances with this one. Thanks.

My original thread was how can we be worse than last year. I never said the team didn't stink.

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    This team is way worse.

Sanchez still here.
    Rex still here.
    Hired another OC castoff.
    Lost a few starters that were way better than the guy behind him. Not Scott. pace, thomas.
    We have done zero to improve.

This is going to get really ugly when we go 0-6 in the afc east alone.
    What starters did we lose that are better than the guy behind them? Slausen/Moore? DeVito? Pohua? Landry/Bell? You act as if these guys are all pro? Everyone of these names can be replaced! Easily!!

What starters did we lose that are better than the guy behind them? Slausen/Moore? DeVito? Pohua? Landry/Bell? You act as if these guys are all pro? Everyone of these names can be replaced! Easily!!
    I'm sure the guys behind them are all better, that's why they were backups . . . wait, that's not right.

It was the right move to let many of these players go because they weren't worth their contracts to this Jets team. But that doesn't mean the team will be better without them than it was with them.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    I'm sure the guys behind them are all better, that's why they were backups . . . wait, that's not right.

It was the right move to let many of these players go because they weren't worth their contracts to this Jets team. But that doesn't mean the team will be better without them than it was with them.
    Half the people backing these players we released are not even on the roster yet. Colon replaces slausen, who when healthy is an upgrade. The rest, the jury is out.