Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how are we any worse than last year?

Quote Originally Posted by nybaseball5 View Post
    Half the people backing these players we released are not even on the roster yet. Colon replaces slausen, who when healthy is an upgrade. The rest, the jury is out.
    Garay is the same thing as Pouha was last season for us. Goodson is actually going to end up being an upgrade over Greene because Goodson can actually catch out of the backfield and pass block. Even Bilal friggin Powell can replace what Greene did as a 2-down north-south runner.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by nybaseball5 View Post
    Half the people backing these players we released are not even on the roster yet. Colon replaces slausen, who when healthy is an upgrade. The rest, the jury is out.
    This is where the draft comes in. No-one will be able to say if our draftees are better than the guys we let go, some will be and some won't. But it is time to move on and bring in fresh, younger players rather than hanging on to over the hill guys.

I'd expect our draft to yield at least one OLB, one G, a S, possibly a TE to fill our biggest holes. Then some depth / upside guys (possibly one of the QB crop) and rest of the roster rounded out with FA's. Then see who wins out in camp.

Will it be perfect? No. Will it be a disaster? No. But we won't know where we are in between these two extremes until at least mid season. In the meantime we can but wait and hope we field a better team thsi year. (Unless you're hooked on the idea of tanking the whole season to get a high draft pick in 2014 ).

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Easy to play stats. That's because the other offenses didn't have the ball. They were scoring on Sanchez turnovers.Where are the NEW OLBs? DL backup? Not that the starters are that great.
    Safety? And let's get real about the ILB position.
    Let's draft a bunch of starters. It's easy. Let's also not forget this is a ROOKIE GM. He has not done this before. Suddenly he's the top of the heap? Until he's done something, he's nothing. Just like a rookie coach or player.
    That's exactly right. That's also why our offense cannot get any worse. If we get a QB that can at least hold on to the ball and take good care of it. Just a guy who isn't going to light the world on fire, but will never give the ball away, that will be an immediate upgrade. Constant turnovers will kill you every time. That's what Sanchez did last season.

That's also why it is so easy for any of us to say Sanchez will get beaten out for the starting QB spot. Just one crafty veteran or youngster that shows he can take good care of the football will win that competition for 2013. It will also immediately upgrade the offense overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    That's exactly right. That's also why our offense cannot get any worse. If we get a QB that can at least hold on to the ball and take good care of it. Just a guy who isn't going to light the world on fire, but will never give the ball away, that will be an immediate upgrade. Constant turnovers will kill you every time. That's what Sanchez did last season.

That's also why it is so easy for any of us to say Sanchez will get beaten out for the starting QB spot. Just one crafty veteran or youngster that shows he can take good care of the football will win that competition for 2013. It will also immediately upgrade the offense overall.

With all due respect, it can get worse. sanchez will be getting a new offense. Has anyone ever established his intelligence level? LOL.
    A key component to any team is synergy. The Jets will be going with on offense at least 5 new starters. The mesh may not happens.
    On defense were looking at 4-5 new starters. Same concern.
    Plus new coaches all over the place.
    As far as sanchez again: do not see him beaten out. All the decent vets are pretty much spoken for and the draft class is eh at best.
    Trying to be objective. 6-10. Last year I got fooled. As the Who said - I won't get fooled again.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    With all due respect, it can get worse. sanchez will be getting a new offense. Has anyone ever established his intelligence level? LOL.
    A key component to any team is synergy. The Jets will be going with on offense at least 5 new starters. The mesh may not happens.
    On defense were looking at 4-5 new starters. Same concern.
    Plus new coaches all over the place.
    As far as sanchez again: do not see him beaten out. All the decent vets are pretty much spoken for and the draft class is eh at best.
    Trying to be objective. 6-10. Last year I got fooled. As the Who said - I won't get fooled again.
    I don't believe Sanchez will be the starter, but I can go along with what you're saying.

Although, back on point, the real determining factor is what Idzik chooses for players that replace so many cut, underachieving veterans. It's really kind of a crapshoot to know whether the team will be good or not. As of right now, we do not have a team. We have only fragments.

But I do like the players he has chosen to keep on the roster for the most part.