Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Sanchez more comfortable with WCO trains with Garcia.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I don't get how anyone can say that "we don't know what we have" in Sanchez as this point.

While it's true his development was poorly handled from the start and his best opportunity to flourish might have been with a different staff I think it's fair to say we have a good idea of what he is capable of -- not much. Blaming Rex's conservative mindset doesn't explain his inability to read defenses (both coverages and pressure packages) presnap. It doesn't explain his wild inaccuracy. It doesn't explain his inability to protect the ball, his propensity for committing bafflingly terrible turnovers.

Would he have been better off starting his career with Mike McCarthy or Sean Peyton? Yeah, I think so. But acting like the fact that he was on a team with a defensive HC with a conservative offensive attitude is the main reason he has been a bad quarterback is ridiculous.

Frankly, the guy just doesn't have the ability to be a franchise QB. We made a mistake. It's time to move on and find the guy who can do it for us. That doesn't mean drafting Geno Smith (or anyone) this year out of desperation, but it certainly means we should be persuing all options to find "our guy."
    What is a "franchise QB"?

And what QBs now playing would be defined as "franchise QB"?

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

For me it's playing at a high level on a consistent basis. Able to carry and lead the team. High level doesn't mean Drew Brees numbers of 350 yards and 5 TDs every game. But someone you can rely on to make plays to win you the game.

Clear cut Franchise QB's:
    Brees
    Brady
    Both Mannings
    Flacco
    Ryan
    Big Ben
    Rodgers
    Shaub

On the rise (need to see more):
    Newton
    RGIII
    Luck
    Bradford
    Dalton
    Wilson
    Kapernick

On the edge of falling off as being a franchise QB (if not already):
    Romo
    Rivers
    Cutler
    Vick

I don't get how anyone can say that "we don't know what we have" in Sanchez as this point.

While it's true his development was poorly handled from the start and his best opportunity to flourish might have been with a different staff I think it's fair to say we have a good idea of what he is capable of -- not much. Blaming Rex's conservative mindset doesn't explain his inability to read defenses (both coverages and pressure packages) presnap. It doesn't explain his wild inaccuracy. It doesn't explain his inability to protect the ball, his propensity for committing bafflingly terrible turnovers.
    I'll give you the inability to protect the ball , that is definitely an area where Sanchez needs to improve. He's been way too prone to fumbles. Again I'll contend the ints and inaccurate throws are just as much a indictment of the offense in total then a pure flaw of Sanchez. I've rewatched ,many of last years games and its crystal clear that Sanchez was forcing throws all over the field. Was it frustration , was it out of desperation - i'm not sure, but I'll tell you this if he truly played within the offensive design you would have seen many days like McElroys start against SD. Smaller number of turnovers but a tremendous sack total

I think a lot of posters here , hear that Sanchez can't read a defense and use that like a coat of arms. What they fail to consider is that reading a defense is as much a function of overall design of an offense and the ability of all the skillset positions to recognize and react to situations. 1) the offense needs to have built in the appropriate check-offs and options . 2) your Oline needs to be able to shift blocking assignments on the fly and 3) Your WR's , TE's and Rb's need to be able to also read the defensive coverages and adjust their patterns accordingly.

With this Jets offense under Rex & puppets the design has been pretty simple run the ball to get in favorable passing situations , if you can't run effectively your faced with 3rd and longs constantly. This has been one of the more vanilla offenses in the league over the past 4 years. Sure Shotty tried to throw in a lot of pre-snap motion , but this was mainly used to try and create overload blocking mismatches for the run game. Face it this is not Peyton Manning throwing to Reggie Wayne where there's so much variability built into the routes and both know where each other will be. The Jets offense is more akin to cut at the blue Chevy and I'll hit you by the manhole cover. Reading a defense is a function of the offense in total, those solely blaming Sanchez for this have their heads in the sand and are just regurgitating a term that hear used over and over again.

Would he have been better off starting his career with Mike McCarthy or Sean Peyton? Yeah, I think so. But acting like the fact that he was on a team with a defensive HC with a conservative offensive attitude is the main reason he has been a bad quarterback is ridiculous.
    Ultimately, I think any young QB has much better prospects for success if you surround him with offensive minded coaching. However, having said that a raw rookie QB like Sanchez could have really had the best of both worlds in starting out with a team that had a very good running game. Unfortunately Rex and Company were too stubborn to reach outside their comfort zones, remember in years 1 & 2 this was Rex's first rodeo too, he had a running game that was working great he had no intention of changing that blueprint.

To this I pose the question. Do you think any 1st year QB could have been overly successfull in this offense over the past 4 years. Don't just look at stats , take into account the parameters by which the Jets offense operated under. You might say well Luck and RGIII and Wilson, Dalton etc... again look at the overall picture and offensive philosophy before answering

Frankly, the guy just doesn't have the ability to be a franchise QB. We made a mistake. It's time to move on and find the guy who can do it for us. That doesn't mean drafting Geno Smith (or anyone) this year out of desperation, but it certainly means we should be persuing all options to find "our guy.[/B]"
    Did we make a mistake at QB or did we make a mistake at choosing a pure DC as 1st time HC. The NFL is littered with players who floundered in one system only to be revitalized by systems/coaching staffs that are more conducive to their styles. I'm not saying Sanchez can and will become a "franchise" QB but at least give him a chance with a modern day offense with some design built for offensive success before we ship out an asset that is already paid for , we might all be pleasantly surprised. If he doesn't pan out he's gone next year and we get to see where the Jets brass goes with the direction of this team.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

I would say a "franchise QB" is someone you're confident in building your franchise around. Doesn't have to be elite, doesn't even have to be a perennial pro bowler, just a guy you believe can lead your team for ten plus years and give you a shot at a Super Bowl. If you're "settled" at QB, if you have a guy you're confident will be your QB three years from now, he's probably a franchise QB.

IMO:

Franchise QBs:

Tom Brady
    Peyton Manning
    Aaron Rodgers
    Drew Brees
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Eli Manning
    Joe Flacco
    Matt Ryan
    Andrew Luck
    RG3
    Russell Wilson
    Philip Rivers (falling off, but I'd still say he's a franchise guy)
    Matt Schaub (bordeline, but I'll give it to him)
    Tony Romo (borderline, but I'll give it to him)
    Jay Cutler (I'm not a believer, but he gets the benefit of the doubt)
    Matt Stafford (Same as Cutler I'm personally skeptical, but he gets the benefit of the doubt)

Not Franchise QBs:

Mark Sanchez
    Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Tavaris Jackson
    Vince Young
    Colt McCoy
    Blaine Gabbert
    Chad Henne
    Brady Quinn
    Matt Cassel
    Alex Smith
    Carson Palmer (not anymore, anyway)
    Michael Vick (not at this point in his career)
    Christian Ponder (probably unfair to condemn after such a small sample size, but I think he sucks)
    Brandon Weeden (probably unfair to condemn after such a small sample size, but I think he sucks)
    Jake Locker (probably unfair to condemn after such a small sample size, but I think he sucks)
    Sam Bradford (I've seen enough, not a believer)
    Kevin Kolb
    John Skelton

Verdict Still Out:

Ryan Tannehill (unsure, need to see how he develops)
    Andy Dalton (arrow leaning down, but he still has a shot)
    Matt Flynn (haven't seen enough of him outside of GB's system)
    Josh Freeman (too much inconsistency)
    Cam Newton (too much inconsistency)
    Colin Kaepernick (lets see him keep it up over a longer sample size)

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    I'll give you the inability to protect the ball , that is definitely an area where Sanchez needs to improve. He's been way too prone to fumbles. Again I'll contend the ints and inaccurate throws are just as much a indictment of the offense in total then a pure flaw of Sanchez. I've rewatched ,many of last years games and its crystal clear that Sanchez was forcing throws all over the field. Was it frustration , was it out of desperation - i'm not sure, but I'll tell you this if he truly played within the offensive design you would have seen many days like McElroys start against SD. Smaller number of turnovers but a tremendous sack total
    I don't buy the defense of his inaccuracy. While he actually throws a pretty good deep ball Sanchez is consistently inaccurate on short throws to the extent that he makes easy gains difficult. Receivers constantly stumble because they're reaching guys behind him, and I've never seen a QB who misses badly on screens like Sanchez does. He makes routine throws look difficult.

I think a lot of posters here , hear that Sanchez can't read a defense and use that like a coat of arms. What they fail to consider is that reading a defense is as much a function of overall design of an offense and the ability of all the skillset positions to recognize and react to situations. 1) the offense needs to have built in the appropriate check-offs and options . 2) your Oline needs to be able to shift blocking assignments on the fly and 3) Your WR's , TE's and Rb's need to be able to also read the defensive coverages and adjust their patterns accordingly.
    He's the QB -- HE'S the one who's supposed to be recognizing the blitzes and adjusting accordingly. Have there been times when his receiver missed the hot route or his OL or RB missed the blitzer? Sure, that happens to every QB. But Sanchez consistently misreads coverages (missing defenders entirely in a zone) isn't prepared for pressure. He holds the ball too long trying to make a play and turns it over.

You make it sound like Schotty and Sparano didn't assign check downs, and that his teammates weren't prepared. While I'm far from a fan of either OC, you're just making excuses. If Schotty's schemes are so bad why did Sam Bradford just put up a better season under him (and defensive coach Jeff Fisher) than Sanchez ever did? Why did Chad Pennington play great under Sparano in 2008?

With this Jets offense under Rex & puppets the design has been pretty simple run the ball to get in favorable passing situations , if you can't run effectively your faced with 3rd and longs constantly. This has been one of the more vanilla offenses in the league over the past 4 years. Sure Shotty tried to throw in a lot of pre-snap motion , but this was mainly used to try and create overload blocking mismatches for the run game. Face it this is not Peyton Manning throwing to Reggie Wayne where there's so much variability built into the routes and both know where each other will be. The Jets offense is more akin to cut at the blue Chevy and I'll hit you by the manhole cover. Reading a defense is a function of the offense in total, those solely blaming Sanchez for this have their heads in the sand and are just regurgitating a term that hear used over and over again.
    I'm guessing you don't remember the first four weeks of the 2011 season? After coddling and protecting him for two years Rex took off the training wheels. We were moving away from Ground and Pound. It was supposed to be Sanchez's emergence in the role of Franchise QB... And he flopped. He sucked. It was an unmitigated disaster. We went back to G&P because Sanchez failed when we tried to get pass happy, not because Rex insisted on it.

Ultimately, I think any young QB has much better prospects for success if you surround him with offensive minded coaching. However, having said that a raw rookie QB like Sanchez could have really had the best of both worlds in starting out with a team that had a very good running game. Unfortunately Rex and Company were too stubborn to reach outside their comfort zones, remember in years 1 & 2 this was Rex's first rodeo too, he had a running game that was working great he had no intention of changing that blueprint.
    Your implication is that they didn't try to fly with Sanchez, which is inaccurate. They protected him in the first two years because he was the weakness of the team and they were stacked at other positions.

In 2011 we lost some key veterans and we needed him to step up. We entered the season ready to air it out and it was a disaster. He wasn't good enough.

To this I pose the question. Do you think any 1st year QB could have been overly successfull in this offense over the past 4 years. Don't just look at stats , take into account the parameters by which the Jets offense operated under. You might say well Luck and RGIII and Wilson, Dalton etc... again look at the overall picture and offensive philosophy before answering
    Yes, absolutely. You're crazy if you think NO QB could have been successful under Rex.

Did we make a mistake at QB or did we make a mistake at choosing a pure DC as 1st time HC. The NFL is littered with players who floundered in one system only to be revitalized by systems/coaching staffs that are more conducive to their styles. I'm not saying Sanchez can and will become a "franchise" QB but at least give him a chance with a modern day offense with some design built for offensive success before we ship out an asset that is already paid for , we might all be pleasantly surprised. If he doesn't pan out he's gone next year and we get to see where the Jets brass goes with the direction of this team.
    We probably made a mistake at QB and HC, and this time next year both will probably be gone.

I 100% guarantee you Sanchez never goes on to be a franchise QB somewhere else. Even if everything you're saying is true (it's not) he's a scarred man now, damaged goods. I'd be shocked if he was ever anything put a journeyman backup.
    Last edited by Austin; 03-30-2013 at 12:14 PM.

I don't buy the defense of his inaccuracy. While he actually throws a pretty good deep ball Sanchez is consistently inaccurate on short throws to the extent that he makes easy gains difficult. Receivers constantly stumble because they're reaching guys behind him, and I've never seen a QB who misses badly on screens like Sanchez does. He makes routine throws look difficult.

He's the QB -- HE'S the one who's supposed to be recognizing the blitzes and adjusting accordingly. Have there been times when his receiver missed the hot route or his OL or RB missed the blitzer? Sure, that happens to every QB. But Sanchez consistently misreads coverages (missing defenders entirely in a zone) isn't prepared for pressure. He holds the ball too long trying to make a play and turns it over.

You make it sound like Schotty and Sparano didn't assign check downs, and that his teammates weren't prepared. While I'm far from a fan of either OC, you're just making excuses. If Schotty's schemes are so bad why did Sam Bradford just put up a better season under him (and defensive coach Jeff Fisher) than Sanchez ever did? Why did Chad Pennington play great under Sparano in 2008?

I'm guessing you don't remember the first four weeks of the 2011 season? After coddling and protecting him for two years Rex took off the training wheels. We were moving away from Ground and Pound. It was supposed to be Sanchez's emergence in the role of Franchise QB... And he flopped. He sucked. It was an unmitigated disaster. We went back to G&P because Sanchez failed when we tried to get pass happy, not because Rex insisted on it.

Your implication is that they didn't try to fly with Sanchez, which is inaccurate. They protected him in the first two years because he was the weakness of the team and they were stacked at other positions.

In 2011 we lost some key veterans and we needed him to step up. We entered the season ready to air it out and it was a disaster. He wasn't good enough.

Yes, absolutely. You're crazy if you think NO QB could have been successful under Rex.

We probably made a mistake at QB and HC, and this time next year both will probably be gone.

I 100% guarantee you Sanchez never goes on to be a franchise QB somewhere else. Even if everything you're saying is true (it's not) he's a scarred man now, damaged goods. I'd be shocked if he was ever anything put a journeyman backup.
    He's been bad on screens , but do you think the Jets OC's really designed good screens. Plus with the box constantly stacked it makes it that much more difficult. I do agree that he's had trouble getting balls over defenders on screens though.

Its not that Shotty's schemes were bad , he was handcuffed by the HC. At the first sign of adversity Rex pulled in the reigns and went to his safety blanket. The fact that Shotty/Bradford looked decent is just as much an indictment on Rex as it is Sanchez. Same thing with Penny/Sparano.

2011 , sure I remember it. They opened up Metlife with the gift win from Romo and followed that up by smoking Jax. Then out in Oakland the wheels came off with Mangold's injury. Who was the backup center they used "Baxter" a kid off the street for the most crucial position on the line. I also remember Sanchez getting drilled that game and took another pounding the following week from the Ravens, I truly believe Sanchez was injured as after that point they virtually never threw downfield again for almost the majority of the season. So instead of going to a backup ( oh yeah they had father time Brunell as backup - good job Rex/Mr T) Rex reverted to his comfort zone again. As you've stated before Sanchez throws a decent long ball the fact that they didn't throw any long passes especially with a faltering run game seemed very fishy to me. Again I feel this is clearly an indictment on Mr T and Rex for not having a capable backup QB.

2011 was lost because the team had glaring holes and the front office ignored the offensive side of the ball.

As far as QB's being successful in the Rex system . I didn't say no QB. I believe Qb's like Manning, Rodgers , Brees force Hc's & Oc's to use them to their strengths. My assertment was a rookie QB coming into the league under Rex/Shotty/Sparano. Do you think we would have used Luck like the Colts did last year - I don't, same wiith RGIII and Wilson.

Bottom line I don't care where Sanchez goes if and when he leave the Jets and whether or not he has success . I'm not a fanboy of Sanchez I'm a fan of the Jets. But I still believe at this point in time Sanchez that he is still the best QB on our current roster, he doesn't need to be elite he just needs offensive help.

Im not saying the offense design, or play on O is great, but lets not pretend that every other qb would do just as bad as Sanchez.. Most qbs taken in the top 5 are going to bad teams, but a top 5 pick qb usually can help his team overcome faults.. Mark was carried for 2 years, he couldn't handle not being carried.. You can say his 1st two years we had a GREAT team, much like he had at USC. He has a great work ethic, as we have seen his dedication in offseason.. but he is too easily rattled in games and that's when he makes bonehead plays.

He can work hard all he wants but maybe he should be spending his time in offseason seeing a psych doc, because his problems are all in his head..

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    Jets QB Mark Sanchez 'more comfortable' with West Coast system while training with Jeff Garcia

Once it became clear that Marty Mornhinweg would become the Jets' new offensive coordinator, Mark Sanchez started reaching out for help to learn the OC's West Coast system. Most notably, he struck up a relationship with former Pro Bowl QB Jeff Garcia -- who played under Mornhinweg.

Now, in a USA Today report, Garcia says that Sanchez is picking up the system and growing accustomed to what he will be running.

"He's doing an excellent job -- the progress Mark has made over the past three weeks is definitely very positive,'' Garcia told USA TODAY Sports.

Garcia then went on to say that the studying is paying off for Sanchez.

"Mark is definitely getting more comfortable speaking the West Coast terminology," Garcia said. "He had a brief glimpse of the West Coast system at USC.

"The toughest thing is this will be Mark's third offensive coordinator in six seasons. The guy has had to learn a new system just about every other year. From a consistency standpoint, that just doesn't translate to success in the NFL. You really need to be secure in what you're doing mentally in order to compete at the highest level.''

Sanchez is coming off of a rock bottom season and will have little certainty going into the upcoming one.

ďI donít think thereís a clear-cut favorite in my opinion," Rex Ryan said of the Jets' quarterback position last week. I just think itís going to be competition from day one. Sanchez will take the first snap, but thatís all you can say. Itís going to be an open competition.Ē

While learning from Garcia, Sanchez is also working out with former No. 1 overall pick Jamarcus Russell, who is trying to make his own comeback.
    LOL! Thanks for the laugh, I needed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Im not saying the offense design, or play on O is great, but lets not pretend that every other qb would do just as bad as Sanchez.. Most qbs taken in the top 5 are going to bad teams, but a top 5 pick qb usually can help his team overcome faults.. Mark was carried for 2 years, he couldn't handle not being carried.. You can say his 1st two years we had a GREAT team, much like he had at USC. He has a great work ethic, as we have seen his dedication in offseason.. but he is too easily rattled in games and that's when he makes bonehead plays.

He can work hard all he wants but maybe he should be spending his time in offseason seeing a psych doc, because his problems are all in his head..
    The same can probably be said for Jets fans - all of us !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    The same can probably be said for Jets fans - all of us !!!!!
    44 years of futility can do this......

we've been down this road before. sanchez camp west blah blah sanchez sucks nothing will fix him but a clipboard and a headset. i dont want this guy taking another snap as a nyjet. he put us all through misery the last 4 seasons.

If we really want to help the Sanchez or any other QB for the Jets lets get them receivers that can catch the football! I can easily remember many dropped TD passes by these profesional receivers. Cumberland, Schillens, and Hill at least dropped 1 each (maybe 2 for Hill). Hill had one game were he dropped at least 4. Remember the Texans game...trying to comeback with little time left. Sanchez rolls right avoiding pressure throws high to Cumberland in which it bounces of his 2 hands and I think ended in a pick. Our RB can't catch a cold and need perfect passes which includes the right velocity, right timing and right placement to be caught.
    I understand that Sanchez is not razor accurate such as Tom Brady, but we need real talent at the WR position. We got the OC, now get the players!! Like 56Mehl mentioned I feel Sanchez is pressing and forcing throws. It seems every throw is a tight window. If you ever played touch football and you are the QB with the worst set of WR's then you know what Im talking about.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJets View Post
    If we really want to help the Sanchez or any other QB for the Jets lets get them receivers that can catch the football! I can easily remember many dropped TD passes by these profesional receivers. Cumberland, Schillens, and Hill at least dropped 1 each (maybe 2 for Hill). Hill had one game were he dropped at least 4. Remember the Texans game...trying to comeback with little time left. Sanchez rolls right avoiding pressure throws high to Cumberland in which it bounces of his 2 hands and I think ended in a pick. Our RB can't catch a cold and need perfect passes which includes the right velocity, right timing and right placement to be caught.
    I understand that Sanchez is not razor accurate such as Tom Brady, but we need real talent at the WR position. We got the OC, now get the players!! Like 56Mehl mentioned I feel Sanchez is pressing and forcing throws. It seems every throw is a tight window. If you ever played touch football and you are the QB with the worst set of WR's then you know what Im talking about.
    It's the NFL. You have to throw the receivers open, and trust that they'll be where they're supposed to be. Now those guys just may not have been there, but you need to do it anyway. He actually had a couple of good games last year(well a couple of very good halves which averaged to pretty good games), which is why I can't understand people that say he can't do it. People that analyze the film know he can do it, and his problems are in his head. He just gets to a place where he can't make a decision, and pull the trigger. This is why he has no touch. It's almost like he doesn't want to let go of the ball. Then there's the dancing, double clutching, throwing the ball late, or staring down receivers. How many years are we going to wait and see if he can string those good halves together? If Garrad has trouble picking up Marty's offense in camp, and/or if he gets hurt. That, I think, would be Sanchez' only chance, and then he would only have a game or two to prove he's got his head on straight. I think/hope we pick up a rookie in the later rounds, and an UFA or two. Garrard, or one of them will get a chance early if Sanchez falters.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    It's the NFL. You have to throw the receivers open, and trust that they'll be where they're supposed to be. Now those guys just may not have been there, but you need to do it anyway. He actually had a couple of good games last year(well a couple of very good halves which averaged to pretty good games), which is why I can't understand people that say he can't do it. People that analyze the film know he can do it, and his problems are in his head. He just gets to a place where he can't make a decision, and pull the trigger. This is why he has no touch. It's almost like he doesn't want to let go of the ball. Then there's the dancing, double clutching, throwing the ball late, or staring down receivers. How many years are we going to wait and see if he can string those good halves together? If Garrad has trouble picking up Marty's offense in camp, and/or if he gets hurt. That, I think, would be Sanchez' only chance, and then he would only have a game or two to prove he's got his head on straight. I think/hope we pick up a rookie in the later rounds, and an UFA or two. Garrard, or one of them will get a chance early if Sanchez falters.
    I agree that is the frustrating part we've all seen glimpses of it but its not been there consistently. The difficult part as fans is deciphering why its not there all the time with Mark.

Can it be he truly sucks and has no talent like so many here claim , is he just getting lucky when he puts together good halfs and game ?

Is he mentally wrecked from playing in the NY spotlight and having to deal with an ultra conservative HC. Sometimes young players have a hard time adapting to losing and adversity especially when they've been winners all through life.

Is he physically wrecked from the poundings he's taken while our front office and HC decided to ignore offensive depth and stockpile defensive players.

In reality its probably a combination of all three. But in my eyes the fact that we've seen stretches of games and glimpses proves he has the talent necessary to succeed. The times he's flourished is when he's been allowed to play more outside the box , making plays on the run and out of the pocket. For some reason our coaching staff has reigned that in , perhaps it was injury related. One thing I truly hope is that Rex allows MM and the offensive staff to use Sanchez the way he should have been for 4 years, not all QB's are pure pocket passers. How effective would Russell Wilson or Kapernick be if they were told to stay in the pocket, again not comparing Sanchez to those two , but just illustrating a point that there's many styles of QB and a smart offensive coach and gameplan will adapt to that.

This is my 2 cents:

If the Jets want any QB to succeed, let alone Mark Sanchez, they need to keep building the offense in other areas. Our TE tandem is among the least experienced in the league, our line still needs a couple players (FA, draft), our WR are either inexperienced or coming off injury, and our RB are also inexperienced.

The Jets need to sign an OL and a WR before the draft IMO. Then, in the draft, we need to address WR, TE, and OL at least within our first 4 picks (I am in favor of trading down as I see no real "solution" at #9 for us). I also think we should look for a RB in this draft.

I know there are other areas of need on DEF and I think we should sign safety in FA and draft an OLB high.

Sanchez has talent but not enough to win games on his own like we see Brady, Manning, and other QBs do. Look at a guy like Matt Ryan and the weapons he has around him. Although it hasn't translated into a superbowl yet, they have too many playmakers on the field to keep track of and Matt Ryan has wider throwing lanes than probably most other QBs in the league. Jets should take note.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    It's funny. The best possible thing that can happen to the NY Jets is for Mark to get in gear and play well. It's either that or we go through a few years of mediocre QB's or spend another 3=5 years hoping we found a new young QB. that's the reality of our situation, yet constantly it seems alot cooler to most here to just hate on the kid relentlessly. I think most Jets fans would much rather hate on their players than actually root for them when they're down.
    Nice post.

Yea I am guilty of developing a disliking (hate is too harsh a word) towards Sanchez but in reality the best thing for the Jets would be for him to pull together and progress in a positive way. Finding a Manning or Brady or Rodgers or Brees could take many years. Look how long the dolphins have been looking to replace Marino. As horrible a year that Sanchez had one would think that it wouldn't take much to find a better replacement. Does he deserve a chance to start? Not at the moment. One would also think that if Mark earns the starting job than the Jets staff didn't do a good enough job to better the QB position. Well that simply wouldn't be fair given that there really isn't much talent available at the position and who are we to know the talent that this team has at the position? If it does happen that Mark wins the job then I will back the new coaching staffs decision and go with it. If I knew better than I wouldn't be posting on this website I would be making money scouting players! I hope Mark finds a way to get tough and find a determination to get right back on the field after a mistake and lead this team to wins instead of sobbing on the sidelines and appearing like he has no drive to even go back out there when things don't go his way. When you see Peyton after he throws a pick or two he gets so pissed and pumped to get out there and put it behind him. That's something you can't teach and I am not sure Mark will ever develop. If he doesn't he won't be a starter much longer

Jets Insider VIP
    Sanchez's inaccuracy on shorter throws is attributable mostly to one thing; his long, exaggerated throwing stance. If he was 6'5" it would be less of an issue, but at a short 6'2", he has trouble getting the ball over the line and therefore compensates with a higher than necessary release point. Anyone that doesn't recognize that is football stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Sanchez's inaccuracy on shorter throws is attributable mostly to one thing; his long, exaggerated throwing stance. If he was 6'5" it would be less of an issue, but at a short 6'2", he has trouble getting the ball over the line and therefore compensates with a higher than necessary release point. Anyone that doesn't recognize that is football stupid.
    Drew Brees and a few others have figured it out. I wish Mark could.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Drew Brees and a few others have figured it out. I wish Mark could.
    You and me both.

It's an obscenely exaggerated step. I'd love to know where/when he developed it. If I had to guess, it was the season before last(?) when there was speculation about him having a rotator cuff tear.