Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanchez more comfortable with WCO trains with Garcia.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I think that this is what Sanchez needs most an attitude adjustment. And this is what the Jets messed with him the most IMO. Jets PR people monitoring his every word so that he only says "nice approved things".

Insanity and now we have an unemotional robot at QB as a result!!
    Sanchez has regressed the last two years from a confidence standpoint. You like to have a QB that commands the room with his presence. That would be my top priority if I was drafting a QB. Look at guys like Brady, Brees, Ryan, and Wilson. There are probably a hundred QBs out there with more ability then them. I was hoping to see this from Sanchez as he grew up. I don't see it, but he must have some of this to land the women he has. He has confidence in that department. If he could have some success, I believe that he could bring that to the field. He has the talent, and the mind for it. We've seen him do it before. Before he knew how bad he was. I do blame Shotty, and Tanny, even Rex for that. They should have let him play through his mistakes, or even sitting him until he was ready instead of color codes, and sliding coaches. They were more worried about winning now, than developing a QB. Right now I'm passed the point where I think that a turn around is possible. I think he's dug himself too deep of a hole now to climb out of. I still hope it happens. Maybe Marty, and Lee can bring it out of him, but right now, he's got a long way to go before he can convince himself that he's a good QB, let alone his teammates, and the fans.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    It's funny. The best possible thing that can happen to the NY Jets is for Mark to get in gear and play well. It's either that or we go through a few years of mediocre QB's or spend another 3=5 years hoping we found a new young QB. that's the reality of our situation, yet constantly it seems alot cooler to most here to just hate on the kid relentlessly. I think most Jets fans would much rather hate on their players than actually root for them when they're down.
    Sounds a lot like Vlad, Wilson, and Powell as well. Cromartie was in this category, and it took almost a year and a half of all pro performance to convince most of these guys. James Farrior got the same treatment from some of these same people back in the day. Harris, Keller, and Brick(to a lesser extent) get the opposite treatment. It's nice to see the team do well, but it's more important to be right. You have to get your priorities in order.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny. The best possible thing that can happen to the NY Jets is for Mark to get in gear and play well. It's either that or we go through a few years of mediocre QB's or spend another 3=5 years hoping we found a new young QB. that's the reality of our situation, yet constantly it seems alot cooler to most here to just hate on the kid relentlessly. I think most Jets fans would much rather hate on their players than actually root for them when they're down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Sanchez' mind is right, and Rex let's Mornhinweg and Lee do take over the offense and Sanchez' development, it would be a huge development to have Sanchez bounce back. Talent isn't the issue, confidence is the bigger issue. His inconsistencies, lack of maturity and an overall neglect of competent offensive coaching and QB development.

Bringing in the WCO is the best thing for Sanchez, and if it works out, and say Sanchez lights it up this year, the Jets have their QB of the future at a huge discount for the next several years, which is what the Jets were hoping for when they gave him that contract. Sparano and the injuries ruined him, and the offense last year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez starts and puts up - 18 tds, 12 tds - 3200 yards - 60%...

just good enough for the wacked out fans here to think he can be the long term solution... (of course they will ignore the 6 lost fumbles)...

I can see it now, this happens, the Jets have the #1 pick next year and you'll have everyone here saying we should draft Clowney.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Sanchez starts and puts up - 18 tds, 12 tds - 3200 yards - 60%...

just good enough for the wacked out fans here to think he can be the long term solution... (of course they will ignore the 6 lost fumbles)...

I can see it now, this happens, the Jets have the #1 pick next year and you'll have everyone here saying we should draft Clowney.
    Sounds more like you're hoping and wishing than predicting.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    USA Today: Mark Sanchez quietly being tutored by Jeff Garcia

Mark Sanchez and JaMarcus Russell are making strides in their Southern California training with former Pro Bowl quarterback Jeff Garcia, who is helping the two resurrect careers at different crossroads.

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan said during the NFL owners' meetings earlier this month that while Sanchez will get the first snap during May organized team activities -- ahead of David Garrard, Greg McElroy, Tim Tebow and Matt Simms -- the competition for the Jets' starting job is wide open.

"Clearly we have to improve at the quarterback position,'' Ryan said.

To that end, three days a week for the past several weeks, first in the classroom and now on the field, Sanchez is downloading the West Coast offense from Garcia. The 12-year NFL veteran played in San Francisco and Philadelphia for Sanchez's newest offensive coordinator, Marty Mornhinweg.

"He's doing an excellent job -- the progress Mark has made over the past three weeks is definitely very positive,'' Garcia told USA TODAY Sports. "It shows Mark is committed to bettering himself and getting himself more mentally prepared.

"The most important thing for Mark is to take that tough season last year as a learning experience from the standpoint of how he can get better and give his team the best chance to win. That has to be done in terms of being confident in his ability to run this system and speak the language correctly.

"So now when he takes the field in OTAs, he'll be in that much more comfortable of a place," Garcia added.

The father of the West Coast offense, late Hall of Fame 49ers coach Bill Walsh recognized something in Garcia when, while coaching Stanford, he faced Garcia's San Jose State team. Walsh wrote letters to 31 NFL teams on behalf of Garcia, a Canadian Football League quarterback, and was instrumental in signing him with the 49ers at age 29 in 1999.

Now Garcia, 42, is trying to help Sanchez reclaim the form he had when he led the Jets to the AFC Championship Game in each of his first two seasons.

Last season, Sanchez owned the league's second-worst passer rating (66.9) and clearly regressed with 13 touchdown passes and 18 interceptions, which led to his Dec. 23 benching for McElroy.

In 2000, Garcia threw for a career-best 4,278 passing yards with 31 touchdowns under then 49ers offensive coordinator Mornhinweg.

"Marty and I communicated a few weeks ago (about) what he'd like to introduce to Mark,'' Garcia said. "Mark is definitely getting more comfortable speaking the West Coast terminology. He had a brief glimpse of the West Coast system at USC.

"The toughest thing is this will be Mark's third offensive coordinator in six seasons. The guy has had to learn a new system just about every other year. From a consistency standpoint, that just doesn't translate to success in the NFL. You really need to be secure in what you're doing mentally in order to compete at the highest level.''

Garcia, a four-time Pro Bowl quarterback, led the Eagles to the NFC East divisional title and a playoff win in 2006 under coach Andy Reid and Mornhinweg. Garcia led the Eagles on a five-game win streak after Donovan McNabb suffered a knee injury.

"Marty saw the way I made the system work for me as far as what my talents and tools were and how that can translate into helping Mark,'' Garcia said. "I've tried to emphasize to Mark, it's a rhythm and timing system, the ball has to come out of your hand on time. And you have to be so precise in everything.''

Garcia is on the advisory board for the 2014 relaunch of the USFL. He is also part owner of the Test Football Academy in Southern California, where he conducts his "Jeff Garcia Football Camp'' for high school and pre-high-school age prospects.

As for Russell, his mission of redemption is far more challenging, given he no longer wants to be remembered as the biggest bust in league history. The No. 1 overall pick in 2007, Russell went 7-18 as Oakland Raiders' starter before his 2010 release. Late owner Al Davis shelled out $39 million on the strong-armed but immature Louisiana Southern University arm talent.

Now Russell is battling to get his weight from 310 pounds two months ago into the 270 range.

"The plan right now is to continue to prepare him for another month and put together a pro day where teams can come and see JaMarcus,'' Garcia said. "Granted his back is against the wall. This is a situation where if he doesn't do it now, it may never happen.

"But if you look at where he was two months ago to where he is today, he's come a long way in demanding more out of himself than he ever did.''

Garcia added that Russell, now 27, is still "younger than I was when I came into the NFL at 29. And he can still throw that ball like no other quarterback.''

In his past NFL life, however, Russell was infamous for falling asleep in meetings and being more focused on frequent Las Vegas getaways than his playbook.

"JaMarcus is a good kid with a good heart who didn't mean any harm with how he went about things,'' Garcia said. "He was a 22-year-old given $39 million. He didn't have that mentality and didn't surround himself with people who could bring out his best.''

Follow Jim Corbett on Twitter @ByJimCorbett

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ssell/2028265/

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds more like you're hoping and wishing than predicting.
    I don't hope and wish anything bad on anyone...

I always root for the Jets and whomever is at QB, but doesn't mean I have to blindly believe in them.

There are flaws in his game that no offensive scheming can fix...
    I've stated this very thing for the last 2-3 years here.

I usually stay quiet but wont tolerate the mark sanchez cult stating that you must believe in him or you are a hater.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez more comfortable with WCO trains with Garcia.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

Mark Sanchez and JaMarcus Russell are making strides
    Oy vey.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally one more statement (which im sure will be perceived as hateful) from me and then I'll be quiet...

The article states that to be successful in a WCO, you need to have
    Rhythm, Timing, and be Precise.

My question for any Sanchez fan:

How do any of these words apply to Mark Sanchez's game?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't hope and wish anything bad on anyone...

I always root for the Jets and whomever is at QB, but doesn't mean I have to blindly believe in them.

There are flaws in his game that no offensive scheming can fix...
    I've stated this very thing for the last 2-3 years here.

I usually stay quiet but wont tolerate the mark sanchez cult stating that you must believe in him or you are a hater.
    I don't blindly believe in anything. All I'm saying is it would be nice if Mark turned it aaround and played solid ball. That's what I'm hoping for as a Jets fan. I think he's capable if he can get his mental game under control. I don't necessarily expect it, but I sure as hell am not putting up all these "hahahaha Mark is gonna suck just good enough that idiots will still want him hahahaha" posts either. Mark is a Jet, he's probably going to be the starting QB, he's young enough and has enough potential that he could turn it around, and frankly that's the only scenario that paints any short term hope for the Jets. Otherwise we'll be waiting a long time for the next guy to come around. That's what I'd rather see happen.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh man not this crap again, this guys is done

he is training with jawalrus for fk sake

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    oh man not this crap again, this guys is done

he is training with jawalrus for fk sake
    Agreed.

There are seven fallacies that are uttered on the boards during the T.Rex / Idzik era and they are reserved for the offseason annually. These statements never ever get backed up during the months of September to December, yet like clockwork, they'll rear their ugly heads from February to the start of camp.

1. Sanchez is a hard worker and he can still turn it around.
    2. It's the OC / supporting cast that held Sanchez back.
    3. The new OC will finally get Sanchez going
    4. Rex has finally learned what it is to be a HC and will become the complete package.
    5. Vlad isn't a bust, wasn't a reach in the 2nd round ("He's a great run blocker. Can't start or be trusted with extended time, but hey, he doesn't know English and the Jets never gave him a translator, so he's still got upside!").
    6. Revis will sign a deal that keeps him a Jet until he retires.
    7. 90210's promises that this is the year the Silver and Black glory returns.

Notice who the first three are about? Some never learn, I guess.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't blindly believe in anything. All I'm saying is it would be nice if Mark turned it aaround and played solid ball. That's what I'm hoping for as a Jets fan. I think he's capable if he can get his mental game under control. I don't necessarily expect it, but I sure as hell am not putting up all these "hahahaha Mark is gonna suck just good enough that idiots will still want him hahahaha" posts either. Mark is a Jet, he's probably going to be the starting QB, he's young enough and has enough potential that he could turn it around, and frankly that's the only scenario that paints any short term hope for the Jets. Otherwise we'll be waiting a long time for the next guy to come around. That's what I'd rather see happen.
    fair enough, I understand your position. I think once you see Mark in this offense you'll come to your senses.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    fair enough, I understand your position. I think once you see Mark in this offense you'll come to your senses.
    So I'm out of my mind for hoping Mark plays well and turns it around? I would be sane if I was on board with all the negative nancies that want him to fall on his face so we can spend the next 3-5 years hoping for the next guy to step in and realize his potential? I guess that's when I'll have my senses.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Agreed.

There are seven fallacies that are uttered on the boards during the T.Rex / Idzik era and they are reserved for the offseason annually. These statements never ever get backed up during the months of September to December, yet like clockwork, they'll rear their ugly heads from February to the start of camp.

1. Sanchez is a hard worker and he can still turn it around.
    2. It's the OC / supporting cast that held Sanchez back.
    3. The new OC will finally get Sanchez going
    4. Rex has finally learned what it is to be a HC and will become the complete package.
    5. Vlad isn't a bust, wasn't a reach in the 2nd round ("He's a great run blocker. Can't start or be trusted with extended time, but hey, he doesn't know English and the Jets never gave him a translator, so he's still got upside!").
    6. Revis will sign a deal that keeps him a Jet until he retires.
    7. 90210's promises that this is the year the Silver and Black glory returns.

Notice who the first three are about? Some never learn, I guess.
    Please present some info that states Ducasse was a reach?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    A WEAK guard year. the reports all talked about raw potential needing to be polished.

We misjudged our ability here to coach him up.

I just fired a kid..GREAT potential. Simply not cut out for the work involved to be a pro.

Vlad may be similar. Not coaching staff fault necessarily.

some guys get a check and never had the motivation to get to the next level.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    A WEAK guard year. the reports all talked about raw potential needing to be polished.

We misjudged our ability here to coach him up.

I just fired a kid..GREAT potential. Simply not cut out for the work involved to be a pro.

Vlad may be similar. Not coaching staff fault necessarily.

some guys get a check and never had the motivation to get to the next level.
    Oookkkkk. How is that a reach? We've been thru this a dozen times.

And those reports, except for Tony Pauline who gave him a 3rd/4th round grade and thought he would be better as a G, gave Vlad a 2nd to 3rd round (max) grade. Gil Brandt had him in his top 50.

The Jets picked #61 and didn't have a 3rd round (went to CLEV as part of the trade for BEdwards)

But people can continue to play Monday morning GM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally one more statement (which im sure will be perceived as hateful) from me and then I'll be quiet...

The article states that to be successful in a WCO, you need to have
    Rhythm, Timing, and be Precise.

My question for any Sanchez fan:

How do any of these words apply to Mark Sanchez's game?
    Rhythm and timing can be taught and that's what a good training camp and coaches are paid to do. And if Sanchez can just be a little less accurate passing the ball to the other team then we could be ok.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He wasn't a reach, but he was a risk, and he was a bust at tackle. After switching to guard he has improved greatly, and has at least provided some value, although not worthy of his draft position. That being said, we now need to forget about where he was drafted since it has no bearing on the future. He's already a pretty good guard at this point. He's already been paid, and he may yet turn out to be a very good guard. Too bad his contract will be up, but let's get the most out of him while we have him.